All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Anybody have some old games still locked up in storage? check out the retroconN 5 out putting hdmi 720p

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/12/4724228/retron-5-pre-orders-open-plays-multiple-classic-console-games

The RetroN 5 allows you to play your favorite NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA cartridges on one system.

I actually have bucketloads of classic games, I'm just not sure how, other than being able to plug it in to my receiver via HDMI, it really matters if I can play these old games on my TV. Those old pixel games lose their charm without all of the scan-lines/etc.

Edited by Mommar

Guest davidwhangchoi

I actually have bucketloads of classic games, I'm just not sure how, other than being able to plug it in to my receiver via HDMI, it really matters if I can play these old games on my TV. Those old pixel games lose their charm without all of the scan-lines/etc.

94657-401x299-WindowScreens.jpg

DIY retro scanlines solution :p

Anybody have some old games still locked up in storage? check out the retroconN 5 out putting hdmi 720p

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/12/4724228/retron-5-pre-orders-open-plays-multiple-classic-console-games

The RetroN 5 allows you to play your favorite NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA cartridges on one system.

I can play all of them on one system, too--it's called a PC.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I can play all of them on one system, too--it's called a PC.

i didn't know you had one that accept carts, i think i can use my pc for my original psone games but not any nes/genesis carts in storage

Carts, how quaint. ROMs are so much easier to store and use.

This, pretty much. I mean, I've sold off most of my NES/SNES/N64 carts long ago, but I still have several GBA carts. Those carts are packed away in a box, stored in a closest, where they've been since I moved in almost two years ago. Meanwhile, I bought an Nvidia Shield, thinking it'd be awesome to stream PC games, but 90% of my time with it has been spent playing Pokemon GBA ROMs. Convenient save states, convenient Gameshark codes (no, I'm not going to spend hours upon hours grinding on wild Pokemon that don't go past 40 in the wild until I've got a team of 60+ to take on the Elite Four, sue me), no cart swapping, etc. It's great.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So, I finally put gundam breaker for vita on pre order, can't wait to play a new gundam game, been a while.

Kinda sucks that I won't be able to redeem the pre order bonuses though, with my north american account

are you going to get the vita tv to play Gundam breaker on the big screen? is there alot of text (Japanese) in the game or is it straight action.

i forgot everything i learned in Japanese class in undergrad

Edited by davidwhangchoi

are you going to get the vita tv to play Gundam breaker on the big screen? is there alot of text (Japanese) in the game or is it straight action.

i forgot everything i learned in Japanese class in undergrad

I've got a North American vita, which isn't region locked, so I'll be playing it on that. I would have gotten it for PS3, but recently, I find myself actually using my vita more and more for gameplay.

The game has no plot, and all menus are subtitled in english, so I've heard its one of the easier games to import. The entirety of the game focuses around building your own "dream" Gundam machine, which is pretty cool.

It corresponds well to the upcoming build fighters anime as well, which I'm sure will drive the games popularity somewhat.

Anyways, I'm desperate for a Gundam game, so this will be my fix :)

So, I finally put gundam breaker for vita on pre order, can't wait to play a new gundam game, been a while.

Kinda sucks that I won't be able to redeem the pre order bonuses though, with my north american account

Actually you can, just make a Japanese psn account and you are all set. After you dl the pre order bonuses it will work across all accounts.

Actually you can, just make a Japanese psn account and you are all set. After you dl the pre order bonuses it will work across all accounts.

I know, but to make a japanese psn account on vita, I'd have to reformat the vita so that I can sign into a new account (as I've already registered my own personal north american account on it first).

Unfortunately, the Vita's inability to support more than one account makes this process a huge hastle, and I don't know if it's worth it just for HG Destiny and HG Build Strike....

Finished Splinter Cell - Blacklist, including the solo campaign and all 4E missions, unlocking all six pieces of stealth and assault armor.

Bought all SC-type weapons and fully-upgraded them (pistol, SMG, assault rifle, sniper rifle and shotgun).

...and lost all progress when the frakking game froze during a save in the Site F mission.

I had to redo everything, but this time, I took the time to copy the save data to a thumb-drive after every mission. Good thing I did, as it froze again during the LNG Terminal cutscene with the fireman.

The damn game's been lagging during inexplicably during several of the later missions sometimes, and there's little you can do except restart from the latest checkpoint, as it'll usually only get worse until you either reach a cutscene or complete the mission.

I know, but to make a japanese psn account on vita, I'd have to reformat the vita so that I can sign into a new account (as I've already registered my own personal north american account on it first).

Unfortunately, the Vita's inability to support more than one account makes this process a huge hastle, and I don't know if it's worth it just for HG Destiny and HG Build Strike....

The vita only supports 1 account, what a strange system :lol: .

Guest davidwhangchoi

that's a good idea, i would reformat it. it's worth it. the more suits the better,,

was checking out the 6 min trailer

http://youtu.be/MMuZkK5Z5t8

Unfortunately, reformatting means that I'll only be able to use my japanese account to play, since there is no way to transfer between U.S. and Japanese accounts on the vita.

Meh, not worth the hastle for Destiny and Build Strike :)

In other news, who's ready for TGS on the 19th :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

Anyone on MW getting GTA V tomorrow?

I'm really debating if i should get it on disc or not... the reviews look incredible. i don't know if i should download it from PSN or get the Toy R Us deal that's going on.

There's an issue w/ installing the game on the xbox 360 as opposed to playing it off the disc... Rockstar is recommending not to install the gm to the 360 hdd.

A workaround is to install it on a usb flashdrive or just read off the discs. which frees the game to use the 360 hdd to stream textures faster.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-rockstar-warns-dont-install-gta5-xbox-360-play-disc

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Cool so there about 3 (including me) on MW getting GTA

Ok, i'm off to Toy R Us during lunch break today. hopefully i can get a free copy of RDR w/ GTAV both for PS3 since it's the lead platform that Rockstar used to program GTA V for this time around.

I lent my RDR to a friend and that's pretty much as good as giving it away.

So excited for this game!!!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Nope. If I get it (big if, because I've played similar games like Sleeping Dogs that I've liked way better than the GTA series), I'm holding out for the PC version.

me too i'm getting PC via steam in the future. double dip.

I just came back from Toys R US and got GTA V plus Red Dead plus for 49.99 plus tax. Definitely worth it. they were having:

buy GTA V get any rockstar game 20 and under for free online. in store today only they're giving a 10 gift card too!

i got lucky and the manger let me just deduct 10 off the game instantly. can't wait to get home. work will prob go slow today now that i'm looking at the clock every minute.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

I would get it, but my xbox hard drive doesn't have enough room left for the mandatory 7.7 gig install.

use a usb flash drive! my friend is too lazy to get a hdd so uses

just a 32gb flash drive for his 4gb non hdd arcade 360. no problems so far:)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm playing it on my PS3 :)

Great game, the city and the rest of the map are incredible!

yep, playing it right now too. took a break and saw your post. way improved driving and shooting mechanics.

Yeah, I skimped on my Xbox and only have a 4 gig model, and my PS3 is back home (I'm at college). Really wish I could get into this, but GTA V will have to wait till I get back home in October :(

And that's when Pokemon Y comes out....choices...... :D

You're like the third person I know that's going with Y. We're not going to have anybody to trade with... I guess that's what happens when one has an awesome dragon-bat thing and the other has a deer.

Maybe Nintendo should go back to the Red/Blue practice of putting the starters on the cover?

they should bring back pokemon green leaf. i never got to play it..

Like the original black and white Gameboy game (which came out as Blue in the States), or the GBA remake? I recently got an Nvidia Shield, but found out that emulation is a better use for it than PC streaming, so I just finished going through Fire Red on it, and I started playing Emerald. Might see if I can get through Soul Silver and Diamond on my 3DS before Y comes out (I'm not really interesting in doing White or Black 2 again).

Guest davidwhangchoi

Like the original black and white Gameboy game (which came out as Blue in the States), or the GBA remake? I recently got an Nvidia Shield, but found out that emulation is a better use for it than PC streaming, so I just finished going through Fire Red on it, and I started playing Emerald. Might see if I can get through Soul Silver and Diamond on my 3DS before Y comes out (I'm not really interesting in doing White or Black 2 again).

i want to play the gba verison of green leaf.

played some gba on my pc but it doesn't feel the same as a handheld... the nvidia shield looks good, i'm going to see if i can demo it somewhere. (gamestop???)

i want to play the gba verison of green leaf.

played some gba on my pc but it doesn't feel the same as a handheld... the nvidia shield looks good, i'm going to see if i can demo it somewhere. (gamestop???)

They're starting to get around. When I bought mine, I ordered from Newegg because there wasn't a Gamestop within 200 miles of me that carried it. Now there's a few in Pittsburgh.

Let's see... Bergen County... the Gamestop in the Bergen Mall has some in stock, as does the one in the Garden State Plaza, the one on Main St. in Paterson, and the one Chestnut Ridge Rd in Woodcliff Lake. Any of those nearby? I can't promise any of them have a demo unit, though.

I will say this about the Shield. It's a solid piece of hardware, comfortable for long gaming sessions with great battery life. But it's too big to be pocketable. Game wise, Android gaming is kind of hit and miss. Some games optimized for it are ok, but some games won't use the controls, only the touchscreen, and having a big ol' controller attached makes it worse because it gets in the way. PC streaming is kind of a mixed bag, too. It assumes you have good enough hardware (luckily, I already did). I tried playing Grid 2 on it. I felt like I was squinting, like the 5" screen was too small for all the detail, but the game looked phenomenal on it. The first race I did streamed great, but the second started stuttering before the Shield lost the connection to the PC. In full disclosure, though, Nvidia released a Shield update that's supposed to help, and my single-band N300 router was below their recommendation. I'll have to re-test now that I replaced my router with a dual-band AC1750 (and hard-wired my desktop into it).

Emulation is great on it, though. The Tegra 4 chipset in the Shield easily handles NES, SNES, GBC, GBA, N64, Genesis, and PlayStation emulation. There's even a PSP emulator, but compatibility is a little spotty (I haven't got any of the Gundam or Macross games from Artdink to work). Most of the emulators I've been using on it are free, but I do recommend buying My Boy for GBA and FPse for PlayStation.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the hardware review.

i just got home from work, yeah there's a few gamestops the Bergen Mall and the Garden State Plaza are the ones near me. the one in Paterson is not close by and the other side of NJ in the getto.

i'm going to call and see if they have a shield on demo. if not, i'll have to try and find someone who owns it to try it out.

Edited by davidwhangchoi