All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Not sure if the brighter colors and simplified stories would have appealed to me even when I was a kid. Granted, my first JRPG experience was FF6, which was fairly grim. It just seems like with most current gen Japanese RPG titles, the developers are trying too hard to cater to young Japanes teens with a few exceptions like The Last Story and Xenoblade. Neither of which I've played but heard alot of good things about.

Found myself going more retro with most of the JRPGs I've played in the past year or two having been from the Playstation era.

Not sure if the brighter colors and simplified stories would have appealed to me even when I was a kid

that's because kids are "different" (read; Stupid) these days, sadly enough... :(

.Found myself going more retro with most of the JRPGs I've played in the past year or two having been from the Playstation era.

that's basically where it's at anymore. Xenogears is a religious experience that everyone should have the pleasure of at least once in their lives.

the soundtrack alone is to die for. that game deserves a faithful HD update about as much as SDF MACROSS does, probably even more.

a Poetic, Poetic experience, Xenogears... :wub:

Edited by Shaorin

Not sure if the brighter colors and simplified stories would have appealed to me even when I was a kid. Granted, my first JRPG experience was FF6, which was fairly grim. It just seems like with most current gen Japanese RPG titles, the developers are trying too hard to cater to young Japanes teens with a few exceptions like The Last Story and Xenoblade. Neither of which I've played but heard alot of good things about.

Found myself going more retro with most of the JRPGs I've played in the past year or two having been from the Playstation era.

Again, if you have a 3DS, Shin Megami Tensei IV.

that's basically where it's at anymore. Xenogears is a religious experience that everyone should have the pleasure of at least once in their lives.

the soundtrack alone is to die for. that game deserves a faithful HD update about as much as SDF MACROSS does, probably even more.

a Poetic, Poetic experience, Xenogears... :wub:

GraceThumb_zpsf421ae1f.jpg

The HD omnigears alone would make it worth it----the limited-poly/low-texture models of the PSX couldn't show how different they were supposed to be compared to the game's earlier gears. The omnigears were organic, "wet", sinewy, etc. The concept art etc shows it well, but it just doesn't translate. Basically, the 'standard' gears should be like Gundams, while the omigears would be more like partly-armored EVA units.

Great, now I have to go find a copy of Xenogears.

Yes you do. Best story ever. (that includes all books/movies/shows). And yes, it is clearly "incomplete/rushed" for the 2nd half. But even missing a big chunk of itself, it's that good, story/music-wise. Confusing the first time though, makes a lot more sense the 2nd time through.

PS---to anyone playing it the first time----you can make life a lot easier by equipping/upgrading Elly and Vierge properly. That combo can absolutely dominate the first 3/4 of the game if you know what to do and frankly save you some time in both random and boss fights.

Yes, Xenogears is an amazing game. The problem with it, though, is that it's 15 years old, and none of the "spiritual sequel" Xenosaga games were nearly as good, which reinforces the idea that there aren't any good JRPGs anymore.

This is not true, though. Yes, generic anime fantasy JRPGs are a dime a dozen, but games in the MegaTen series have been pretty awesome. Persona 4 Golden is the single best reason to own a Vita (the fact that you can download Persona 3 Portable is an added bonus). Shin Megami Tensei IV is like a week old on the 3DS and is pretty awesome so far.

Oh, but for those of you with PS3s (or Vitas) who haven't played Xenogears, you absolutely definitely should, and you have no excuse not to be because it's on the PSN.

Sadly, I played Xenosaga before Gears. I only played Xenogears when it was released on PSN since finding a half decent copy (With original jewel case and manual) for under $30 is pretty difficult. The game was a real experience and there aren't many games out there that left me thinking about them 2 weeks after completing them.

Persona 4 was indeed a great game although I haven't completed it yet.

For you guys with nvidia GPU equipped gaming rigs, any thoughts on the nvidia shield so far?

I don't have a gaming rig, and I doubt the nvidia gt 650m in my laptop qualifies for PC game streaming.

In other news, the razer edge has caught my eye, although its much too expensive and niche right now to consider.

But if tablet gaming pc will become more refined in the future, I like where it's going!

So am I playing Jane's USNF '97. Sixteen years old and still the most fun combat sim I've played. The graphics don't matter when I'm trying to get two bogeys off my wingman's tail while dodging SAMs screaming up my tailpipe. So. Much. Fun.

I need to play the original Ghost Recon again.

I only played Xenogears when it was released on PSN since finding a half decent copy (With original jewel case and manual) for under $30 is pretty difficult.

lucky for my part that my parents were always generous, enabling me to retain just about every game and console they ever bought me since late 1989,

avoiding the trading up conundrum that most young gamers were forced to endure whether they liked to or not.

as a direct result, i still retain my original copy of Xenogears, still in superb condition despite many, many plays,

as well as a well-maintained PSX... :)

Edited by Shaorin

For you guys with nvidia GPU equipped gaming rigs, any thoughts on the nvidia shield so far?

I don't have a gaming rig, and I doubt the nvidia gt 650m in my laptop qualifies for PC game streaming.

In other news, the razer edge has caught my eye, although its much too expensive and niche right now to consider.

But if tablet gaming pc will become more refined in the future, I like where it's going!

I like the shield, it takes what sony did with the psp/ps vita connecting with ps3 and what nintendo did with wii u controller to the next level. I would assume you need a beefy system with the newest and most expensive nvidia cards to run the sharing so be prepared to spend a bunch of money not just on the shield.

I'm finally playing Final Fantasy IX. I'm only 13 years late, but hey, other than me, who's counting?

FF9 is excellent and under-rated. I think a lot of people ignored it after FF8, or somehow "carried over" their dislike of 8 onto 9.

9's music is especially good (even among Uematsu-composed FF)

If it only had a decent villian, it'd be extraordinary. (they really should have made even more allusions/tie-ins to FF1, would have helped it a lot IMHO, regarding villain/plot/motivation)

FF9 is excellent and under-rated. I think a lot of people ignored it after FF8, or somehow "carried over" their dislike of 8 onto 9.

9's music is especially good (even among Uematsu-composed FF)

If it only had a decent villian, it'd be extraordinary. (they really should have made even more allusions/tie-ins to FF1, would have helped it a lot IMHO, regarding villain/plot/motivation)

I really enjoyed 9, but it falls apart in the last disc.

lucky for my part that my parents were always generous, enabling me to retain just about every game and console they ever bought me since late 1989,

avoiding the trading up conundrum that most young gamers were forced to endure whether they liked to or not.

as a direct result, i still retain my original copy of Xenogears, still in superb condition despite many, many plays,

as well as a well-maintained PSX... :)

Sadly, my Nintendo was sold after my parents noticed it was getting very little use. The same with my Genesis later on. I made certain that stopped with my Playstation titles. A friend of mine back in the day, who owned Xenogears, offered to let me borrow it, for which I declined. Stupid 15 year old me. :unsure:

So am I playing Jane's USNF '97. Sixteen years old and still the most fun combat sim I've played. The graphics don't matter when I'm trying to get two bogeys off my wingman's tail while dodging SAMs screaming up my tailpipe. So. Much. Fun.

Yes! I'm glad there are people who still remember this game. I had the original Jane's USNF 95 Gold, USNF 97, Fighters Anthology and USAF. Remember missions rolling in on a target after taking down two Mig-29s, bombing my targets and feeling like such a boss B)) , only to get tagged by some shmuck Tunguska AA I didn't see as I was bugging out.

I like the shield, it takes what sony did with the psp/ps vita connecting with ps3 and what nintendo did with wii u controller to the next level. I would assume you need a beefy system with the newest and most expensive nvidia cards to run the sharing so be prepared to spend a bunch of money not just on the shield.

I think nvidia mentioned that you need a build set up with at least a GTX 660 card in terms of a full PC, and a GTX 660m card once they bring it to the notebook environment later.

That's not too bad in my opinion, but yeah, you definitely need a beefy set up for sure.

I'll stick with PS4/vita for my purposes :D (I need over the internet functionality as well, which the shield doesn't support).

Played the Single Player DLC 'Stasis Interuppted' for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

not bad, Sadly its better then the actual game campaign and actually had some atmoshpere in some areas.

still doesnt redeem the game anymore-so but its decent enough.

I absolutely adore FF9, but yeah...it falls apart before the end. It felt very much like an incomplete game that was rushed out the door to divert resources to PS2 games.

Not only does the villain carry no weight, but most of the characters never get any resolution to their stories. That was a huge let down.

well, if nothing else, i'm getting some rather unintentional point-n-laugh comedy out of Tales of Graces.

i was really looking forward to this entry in the Tales series,

but it simply seems that the writers here either had no clue what the hell they were trying to convey,

just simply didn't care what they were trying to say, or perhaps both at once.

as a result, Graces' entire storyline is just plain Stupid. often hilariously so.

god, i pray NAMCO/BANDAI doesn't shaft me yet again with the upcoming Tales of Xillia... :(

Edited by Shaorin

anyone with PS3 and PSN, and any warm fond memories of yore needs to DL "DOUBLE DRAGON NEON" right this minute.

look it up if you have to. if you're the sort that waxes nostalgic over Chop-Socky films back in the day, old-fashoned "Beat-Em-Up" Video Games,

and/or 1980's pop-culture stereotypes in general, you will immediately "get" this sucker and have a total blast. trust me on this... :)

Edited by Shaorin

Finally picking up a 3ds xl, on sale at best buy. First nintendo handheld since the gba, and I'm in it mainly for kingdom hearts. Any other must haves?

I've heard insanely good things about fire emblem

If you're picking up Fire Emblem, pick up Shin Megami Tensei IV. Not only is it one of the best games on the 3DS, but if you register both to a Club Nintendo account you'll get $30 eShop credit. The only thing about SMTIV is that it seems like there aren't a lot of stores that carry it, so you might have to buy online. On the plus side, it comes with a book and a soundtrack.

I also highly recommend Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy, which is actually a remake of Ace Combat 2, and Super Mario 3D Land, which turned out to be my favorite Mario game of all time.

Then some other games I've enjoyed, but YMMV, would be New Super Mario Bros 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Ocarina of Time, Project X Zone, and Dead or Alive Dimensions.

So Xenogears, FF9 and my beloved Valkyrie Profile are the best RPG/ARPG I've played in 1999 up to the early 2000s from all the other RPGs.

Yup, Valkyrie Profile is second ONLY to Xenogears. I feel however, that many people don't get the full effect of VP, because nowadays they all play it according to the FAQ, and see the "good" ending right off the bat---they don't know just how differently it plays out "normally". (and playing it the "good" way, then skipping the last step so as to see the normal ending doesn't count---you still saw the "good" 2nd half of the game---you really have to play the entire game twice to see it all--it's darn near 2 similar, but different stories on the same disc)

The best example I can give, is Castlevania: SOTN. If you didn't know, it's totally possible to play the game, beat it, and think that's it. But there's a 2nd, inverted castle, if you know how to trigger it. Valk Profile 1 is almost like that. The 'good' ending, is more like the entire 2nd half of the game.

Indeed. Vagrant Story was quite an experience. Ashley's flashbacks/visions at the end nearly had me in tears.

I too loved Xenogears, and it's just horrible how little mecha merchandise there is for it. I would like to see ID-Welltall is some sort of toy form.

Speaking of mecha, I dusted off my PS2 and booted up the fan-translated Front Mission 5 again. I just cannot get enough of the simulator and am obsessed with farming every single wanzer part I can get from it.

If you're picking up Fire Emblem, pick up Shin Megami Tensei IV. Not only is it one of the best games on the 3DS, but if you register both to a Club Nintendo account you'll get $30 eShop credit. The only thing about SMTIV is that it seems like there aren't a lot of stores that carry it, so you might have to buy online. On the plus side, it comes with a book and a soundtrack.I also highly recommend Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy, which is actually a remake of Ace Combat 2, and Super Mario 3D Land, which turned out to be my favorite Mario game of all time.Then some other games I've enjoyed, but YMMV, would be New Super Mario Bros 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Ocarina of Time, Project X Zone, and Dead or Alive Dimensions.

Thanks for suggestions man!

I picked up a 3ds xl blue with kingdom hearts and fire emblem. I checked out SMT IV, but I felt like I could pick it up after I get through the games I bought.