All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Microsoft will be careful about letting the DRM genie out of his bottle now. If they decide to bring it back later, which isn't beyond possibility, they will probably have made their money off it by that time. Will it be worth hacking by that time? I would like to see the long-term impact on sales. Will consumers forgive and buy in to the XBone? Or do they feel like they've had enough with Microsoft and move to the PS4? We'll see.

Now if only the Windows team would take a page from the Xbox/Game Studio division and reverse Windows 8/8.1. (Yeah, I threw that in again.)

Been lurking around at gaming forums, and while some have started to shift back to "Camp XB," others are still cautious. The always-on Kinect thing is still there, which worries a lot of people.

As far as the US, the 1 has a good chance of recapturing the market, given that XB and its FPS games are always a hit with Americans. Not sure about the rest of the world, though.

BTW, what's up with Windows 8? I've heard a lot of complaints about it, but not specifically what's wrong with it. Tough judging by the amount of rage, it's probably much worse than even Vista.

I doubt that they were/are deaf to reason. They obviously had this plan in place, but wanted to see how far they could push the customer. I mean, just last week Mattrick (sp?) quipped about how there was a solution for users who couldn't go online: the XB360. Now, I can imagine his sh!t-eating grin as he says that MS "listens" to the consumers, etc., etc.

If the term "douchebag" were added to a dictionary, it will be accompanied by a picture of his smug-ass face.

Edited by GU-11

BTW, what's up with Windows 8? I've heard a lot of complaints about it, but not specifically what's wrong with it. Tough judging by the amount of rage, it's probably much worse than even Vista.

Microsoft decided to make a dramatic change in the UI. They designed it based around an interface for tablets and touch devices (i.e., phones). While fine for consumption devices, it's been a nightmare for desktop and a majority of laptop users or people who still use keyboards and mice and IT operations, i.e., people on the productivity-side of things. The standard UI is very limiting because it is designed around a tablet/phone interface. The training curve for the new UI is too steep for most people to learn and or too time consuming for training. People had to use 3rd-party software to bring back the familiar interface which may break on Windows 8.1. While the hope was for Windows 8.1 to resolve many of these issues, that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, Microsoft didn't seem to get the hint, at all. Microsoft tried to meld together a UI for consumption devices with a UI for productivity and it's not working. David Pogue of NY Times summed it up best:

Sometimes, the best thing for your customers and your company is to admit you’ve committed a colossal blunder — and set to work undoing it.

There are plenty of articles you can search for if you want to know more than my summary.

If the term "douchebag" were added to a dictionary, it will be accompanied by a picture of his smug-ass face.

Wonder if someone higher up called him in for a personal meeting immediately after E3. :lol:

From a usability design POV, it's got issues. To be honest, I was willing to overlook the issues. You learn the system, and yeah, some stuff takes additional steps, but the new Windows Explorer was pretty boss.

Then I bought a Windows 8 laptop, installed Steam, and had nothing but issues. So I reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7, which isn't as easy to do as it used to be.

Microsoft decided to make a dramatic change in the UI. They designed it based around an interface for tablets and touch devices (i.e., phones). While fine for consumption devices, it's been a nightmare for desktop and a majority of laptop users or people who still use keyboards and mice and IT operations, i.e., people on the productivity-side of things. The standard UI is very limiting because it is designed around a tablet/phone interface. The training curve for the new UI is too steep for most people to learn and or too time consuming for training. People had to use 3rd-party software to bring back the familiar interface which may break on Windows 8.1. While the hope was for Windows 8.1 to resolve many of these issues, that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, Microsoft didn't seem to get the hint, at all. Microsoft tried to meld together a UI for consumption devices with a UI for productivity and it's not working. David Pogue of NY Times summed it up best:

There are plenty of articles you can search for if you want to know more than my summary.

Wonder if someone higher up called him in for a personal meeting immediately after E3. :lol:

Someone at MS must have had a bad case of stupid to come up with the idea of one OS for three massively different devices. No wonder the Windows 8 UI for laptops and PC's suck. Looks like I'll be sticking to Win7 for a long time to come.

And yeah, I'm betting dollars to donut holes that Mattrick's chances of surviving said personal meeting are low.

From Slate's article about the whole thing:

"...Don Mattrick, Microsoft's comically pompous president of 'interactive entertainment business,'..."

It makes me laugh.

Am I the only one who's reminded of Iron Man 2's Justin Hammer when I see this guy?

I'm no expert on console engineering, but from what I've been told, the only thing that saved the PS3 from being hacked and modded was the Bluray disc.

It hasn't been hacked? ISOs for PS3 games are out there. Plus, remember in 2011 when hackers brought down PSN for a couple of months?

It hasn't been hacked? ISOs for PS3 games are out there. Plus, remember in 2011 when hackers brought down PSN for a couple of months?

Must have remembered something wrongly along the way. I thought they're only close to hacking it. Sure took them long enough to do so. The PS3's already passing the torch to the next generation of PS, and only now did they manage to do it.

A few days later, and I have to say that Microsoft's about face doesn't make me any more interested in the Xbone, just less interested in the PS4. The PC gamer in me is pretty console apathetic now, but at least the Xbone was giving me reasons to get in Sony's camp.

A few days later, and I have to say that Microsoft's about face doesn't make me any more interested in the Xbone, just less interested in the PS4. The PC gamer in me is pretty console apathetic now, but at least the Xbone was giving me reasons to get in Sony's camp.

As I mentioned, let's see if consumers still feel burned by MS. There's still the creepy always-on Kinect and the +$100 price point of the console. And there's still the possibility (though unlikely for a long time) that MS will bring the DRM-restrictions back in some form or another.

I have been playing Dust 514. Being a long time (though on hiatus now) EVE player I found the fit customization interface to be very familiar and user friendly. Just like with ships on Eve Online, the dropsuits have slots constrained by PG/CPU.

There is some stuff that I think needs a lot of work. Hit detection just seems a bit off for some reason, but perhaps because I'm using the shotgun, which has a wide spread. Sometimes I hit another player point blank with no damage registering. I'm also not a big fan of microtransactions. Thankfully most of the purchaseable gear out there is not incredibly better than what you can purchase with ISK, and certainly not better than the advanced Proto equipment, but some things like the XP Boosters you pretty much have to buy with AUR's. Unfortunately the boosters make a whole chunk of difference if you want to level your soldier at a reasonable pace. Also, the map and gameplay variety is a bit crappy at the moment :( . Some wave-assault styled PvE would actually make a nice addition to this game.

Anyways I started the game as a plain old Assault but spraying the AR got boring fast. I am currently running a Shotgun-Scout build and it's A LOT more fun! I am 1 level away from actual Scout suits, so I am just running the basic Minmatar Light:

- Weapon: Shotgun (plain vanilla) / Militia Scrambler Pistol (or Nova Knives :) ).

- Highs: Shield Extender ... with a shotgun I didn't feel the need for a damage mod, most enemies fall in one or two hits.

- Lows: Kinetic Stabs , Profile Dampener.

Basically, my speed is my tank, I just run really fast, try and get behind guys while they're "distracted" shooting at my team members, unload the shottie, then run for cover. It's also useful in Domination sneaking up on guys capping objectives, then saying hello to them while they're hacking away. In addition to speed, the damps make your harder to detect. It's a high risk / high reward style of play so expect to get burned on a few rounds. But sometimes :D ....

post-9883-0-39021700-1371937676_thumb.jpg

I don't get it. Is it even a teaser for a game or is it just some undergrads semester project? That was really vague and did not make me want to know more.

Edited by anime52k8

The video source confirmed my suspicions. ^_^ Plus, there's a good hint in the company they mention.

I can't wait for this game. That is just too beautiful to put into words.

My only concern now is that it looks so amazing, I wonder how the final product will ever measure up to people's expectations. Given the way games work in recent times, it's hard to fathom someone sticking to a formula from something like 15 years ago. It's been so long since I saw anything that allows local hosting and custom server mods, I'm worried it won't happen.

You know. The more I think about that game, the more I worry I will disappear into my computer room for years to make all sorts of custom content.

Looking over the features... it's designed to support mods and local hosted multiplayer from the start, but I'm having a series of moments going "oh, whoa, we could do that" with every science fiction universe I know of.

The ships are already built with moving parts, and a mix of thruster-based motion and standard science-fiction "airplanes in space" physics. I'm just drooling at the thought of building a dedicated Macross universe mod server. I don't know how much ground action there is, but the possibilities for all kinds of custom servers made for various science fiction universes is mind-boggling.

I just finished the last of us. That was the best game I've ever played....ever. I've never experienced something so emotionally powerful like this before in a game.

BIG SPOILER

At the end, when doctors are about to operate on Ellie, I was shocked at how quickly I engaged them with my full arsenal, even when they weren't fighting back. Only after the fact did I realize what I did, and the game makes you realize a certain sense of guilt, clearly pointing out that they didn't need to die.

I know zombie stuff is popular right now, but the last of us really throws you in and makes it more believable an any media before it.

Honestly, this game is worth a full ps3 purchase alone. I don't care if the next gen is landing soon, I seriously think this is a VERY strong competitor for game of the year.

If you can't tell, wow, I'm impressed.

I'll be honest, I watched an LP and it really made me not want to play it. Feels too much like an interactive version of The Road.

Edited by anime52k8

I'll be honest, I watched an LP and it really made me not want to play it. Feels too much like an interactive version of The Road.

I know people have said that based on superficial comparisons, but as a game, it's just so much fun....

I don't think squaring it away as an interactive "The Road" would do justice to the game as a whole. I know it looks similar on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

The Last of Us was sold out at my usual store yesterday. Damn. Gonna go back and see if I could place and order for it this weekend.

I'm personally not a fan of the zombie-shooter genre, but with all that talk about characterization and it being a powerful story, I just had to get a copy.

I have been having a blast playing TLoU multiplayer, it's not a run and gun it's more teamwork with limited ammo and supplies, and the execution kills are the best part. It's just like the signgleplayer where you have to collect parts to build in real time, melee, motolov, bomb/grenade, shiv and smoke grenade.

I have been having a blast playing TLoU multiplayer, it's not a run and gun it's more teamwork with limited ammo and supplies, and the execution kills are the best part. It's just like the signgleplayer where you have to collect parts to build in real time, melee, motolov, bomb/grenade, shiv and smoke grenade.

Sounds similar to the Tomb Raider reboot. As long as the dificulty isn't frustrating, I'm cool with that. I've been hearing about these super-mutated zombies that can't see, but can hear you from a mile away, and you can only kill them by stealth-killin them from behind. Are those a PITA?

The clickers are somewhat easy to sneak by, just remember to slightly tilt the analog stick while walking past them, but if you get to close they will hear you anyway, its easy to stealth kill them with a shiv(if you have one, that is if not, stay away from them), just remember to press triangle when it says so or eles. But beware the infected seem to walk randomly so you don't want to get in their path.

Runners look more human and have their eyesight abiet they dont pay attention to your flashlight but they will scream and attack in swams if one see you, if your in a room with runners and clickers take out he the runners first then clickers if you have shives, yes shives, your shiv will break after one stealth kill to a clicker (unless upgraded)so if you only have one shiv and 5 clickers its best to sneak by or if you get spotted run,....run like hell and don't look back.

I wont spoil what else there is in terms if the infected but watch out for humans they are some of the most unpredictable AI in the game, they will run, hide call for back up and flank you, dont underestimate them.

This is on normal settings, right now I'm playing on survival mode and its a PITA.

Bricks and bottles will become your new best friend while playing this game!!

Edited by Murphy

Oh yea, the monsters in TLoU aren't zombies they are living humans who are being controlled by some type of cordyceps fungus infection, the runners still have human screams but the clickers have a more horrifying noise.

Oh yea, the monsters in TLoU aren't zombies they are living humans who are being controlled by some type of cordyceps fungus infection, the runners still have human screams but the clickers have a more horrifying noise.

so basically they're zombies.

Thanks for the heads-up! Damn, sounds like a challenge even in normal mode. Suddenly getting second thoughts about buying it. Don't want to end up abandoning the game out of frustration. Please tell me there's an easy mode.

Thankfully, I generally don't bother playing harder levels than normal, unless there are unlockables and extra endings. That said, I've beeb consistently underestimating my gaming ability time and time again. I never expected to be able to clear Professional mode in RE4, but after a bit of patience and some tutoring from a playthrough, I actually did it. Somehow I actually did it. Of course, RE4 at professional mode was nothing compared to that f#cking tunnel level in Ace Combat 5 Unsung Heroes.

As for the cordyceps thing, it's ironic that in real life, it's actually a very rare expensive item in Chinese medicine.

Edited by GU-11

TheForce.net: DICE 'Begged' To Do New Battlefront Game

In an interview over at ComputerAndVideoGames.com, EA Games executive vice president Patrick Söderlund described how EA's DICE studio asked for the opportunity to develop a new Battlefront game as part of EA's exclusive multi-year Star Wars deal with Disney. According to Söderlund, DICE was adamant about developing the game, which was a surprise coming from a studio with a history of preferring original properties like Battlefield.

Here's the Star Wars part of CVG's interview with Söderlund:

So one of your big surprises was DICE working on the new Star Wars: Battlefront. As you said, that's pretty much a match made in heaven for fans... but those sorts of dream collaborations don't happen often.

I'm glad you say that because it was almost not happening. It was just something as boring as resources and availability. The DICE guys Karl Magnus Troedsson and Patrick Bach were talking and I told them we were in dialogues with Disney over this deal and they just looked at me and said, "Why haven't you spoken to us? What are you doing? We want to make Battlefront."

DICE is a very particular place and they are very proud of what they do and you don't really tell them what to do. I didn't anticipate them wanting to work on a license - they've always been new IP or their own IP. But they were just like, 'we would kill to make this game' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'please give us this game'.

That's when I called Frank [Gibeau, EA Labels boss] and I realised we had something here. 'If they want it that badly, then the game will be freaking awesome - we have to figure it out'. So we figured it out, we got them the game and it was that simple. They begged to do it, the opportunity was there and that's exactly why you'll see a game that will be what it needs to be.

Thanks for the heads-up! Damn, sounds like a challenge even in normal mode. Suddenly getting second thoughts about buying it. Don't want to end up abandoning the game out of frustration. Please tell me there's an easy mode.

Thankfully, I generally don't bother playing harder levels than normal, unless there are unlockables and extra endings. That said, I've beeb consistently underestimating my gaming ability time and time again. I never expected to be able to clear Professional mode in RE4, but after a bit of patience and some tutoring from a playthrough, I actually did it. Somehow I actually did it. Of course, RE4 at professional mode was nothing compared to that f#cking tunnel level in Ace Combat 5 Unsung Heroes.

As for the cordyceps thing, it's ironic that in real life, it's actually a very rare expensive item in Chinese medicine.

Its not hard once you get the hang of it, trust me. I died a lot when starting out, but easily fit better. The best thing you can do is mentally accept that this isn't yluncharted, and the fewer you fight, the better. Honestly, Hunan enemies with arsenals of their own were more challenging.

I found the best way to deal with a large group is to throw an empty bottle in an open area. Once all the infectedcrush toward it, chuck molotovs like nobody's business. I've been toned to the point where any equipment that identifies me as a source of sound is a no no when dealing with large groups.

If you have to fire, move after you do, or else the infected will rush you and humans will work to flank you.

And yeah, there is an easy mode :)

Its not hard once you get the hang of it, trust me. I died a lot when starting out, but easily fit better. The best thing you can do is mentally accept that this isn't yluncharted, and the fewer you fight, the better. Honestly, Hunan enemies with arsenals of their own were more challenging.

I found the best way to deal with a large group is to throw an empty bottle in an open area. Once all the infectedcrush toward it, chuck molotovs like nobody's business. I've been toned to the point where any equipment that identifies me as a source of sound is a no no when dealing with large groups.

If you have to fire, move after you do, or else the infected will rush you and humans will work to flank you.

And yeah, there is an easy mode :)

That's certainly good news! Especially easy mode. :lol:

Thanks for the tips on dealing with those zombie groups. While I'll definitely take care not to underestimate the human enemies, I've always hated dealing with mindless enemies that try to rush/swarm you.

In an interview over at ComputerAndVideoGames.com, EA Games executive vice president Patrick Söderlund described how EA's DICE studio asked for the opportunity to develop a new Battlefront game as part of EA's exclusive multi-year Star Wars deal with Disney. According to Söderlund, DICE was adamant about developing the game, which was a surprise coming from a studio with a history of preferring original properties like Battlefield.

So one of your big surprises was DICE working on the new Star Wars: Battlefront. As you said, that's pretty much a match made in heaven for fans... but those sorts of dream collaborations don't happen often.

I'm glad you say that because it was almost not happening. It was just something as boring as resources and availability. The DICE guys Karl Magnus Troedsson and Patrick Bach were talking and I told them we were in dialogues with Disney over this deal and they just looked at me and said, "Why haven't you spoken to us? What are you doing? We want to make Battlefront."

DICE is a very particular place and they are very proud of what they do and you don't really tell them what to do. I didn't anticipate them wanting to work on a license - they've always been new IP or their own IP. But they were just like, 'we would kill to make this game' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'please give us this game'.

That's when I called Frank [Gibeau, EA Labels boss] and I realised we had something here. 'If they want it that badly, then the game will be freaking awesome - we have to figure it out'. So we figured it out, we got them the game and it was that simple. They begged to do it, the opportunity was there and that's exactly why you'll see a game that will be what it needs to be.

I really hope it turns out good. I really enjoyed the first 2. I was bummed when the last version was cancelled. :(

Guest davidwhangchoi

cool! thanks