All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Kinect stays on all the time? Yeah, that's really creepy. I'm glad I was never a fan of Xboxes.

Yup, all the time, even when shut off. It explicitly listens for "XBox: On" and similar phrases so it can start-up whenever it's asked to.

You should have played before the most recent update. Developing your skills was easier and characters were given a free specialization dropsuit of your choice. Now you really have to use ISK or real money to do anything, like in EVE Online. I was really bummed that they also took away my free Artificer dropsuit.

That's why I specifically stayed away until the beta was done. I didn't want to complain about how it "used to be so much better" :)

Still having good fun and almost ready to join a corp and get into the nitty and gritty of New Eden :). Will I need a microphone for that?

Yup, all the time, even when shut off. It explicitly listens for "XBox: On" and similar phrases so it can start-up whenever it's asked to.

Ugh. That's almost as bad as the dog always staring at me...

Saw this today and since we were discussing the Final Fantasy series earlier I figured I'd share the link. Really, who doesn't want a real version of the Buster sword?

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/man-at-arms-builds-80-pound-replica-of-final-fantasy-viis-buste/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

That's exactly where a lack of backwards compatibility fails miserably. Unless they keep making/repairing/selling the 360, people are gonne be screwed when their old hardware fails. Given the 360's history, I don't know what to expect there.

I'm not particuarly worried about hardware failure. My original 360 Elite is still fine after nearly 6 years of running it for double digit hours at a time in a poorly ventilated entertainment center cabinet and hauling it places in a backpack, and if I get a new slim I doubt I'd be able to kill it any faster.

In fact, one of the main reasons I prefer console gaming to PC gaming is because My luck with console hardware is infinitely better than with PC's. I don't think I've had a single computer last more than 3 years, where as every console I've ever owned still works despite thousands of hours of play time logged on all of them.

I'm not particuarly worried about hardware failure. My original 360 Elite is still fine after nearly 6 years of running it for double digit hours at a time in a poorly ventilated entertainment center cabinet and hauling it places in a backpack, and if I get a new slim I doubt I'd be able to kill it any faster.

In fact, one of the main reasons I prefer console gaming to PC gaming is because My luck with console hardware is infinitely better than with PC's. I don't think I've had a single computer last more than 3 years, where as every console I've ever owned still works despite thousands of hours of play time logged on all of them.

You do have bad luck! Save for my first PC I haven't had a single system die on me. I don't know if it's just because I've never bought a complete system from a store or not. Only my first system, a Gateway, was bought as a complete machine. All the other PCs that I've owned have all been assembled by me.

David Hingtgen, on 22 May 2013 - 21:51, said:

Which is kinda funny since during the unveiling, anytime "Xbox"/"Xbox Live" was mentioned, anybody listening to the stream near their Kinect would instantly be kicked on or off whatever their Xbox was doing because the Kinect would hear "Xbox" and kick them off the stream while waiting for a command or would power on.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal

You do have bad luck! Save for my first PC I haven't had a single system die on me. I don't know if it's just because I've never bought a complete system from a store or not. Only my first system, a Gateway, was bought as a complete machine. All the other PCs that I've owned have all been assembled by me.

The first pc I built myself was a wireing nightmare and I ended up frying the hard drive by accident while changing a fan. The second one I built was a thing of beauty and cost over 2 grand. It ran fine for about 4 months before the faulty system drive started loosing all of its data. It took 4 months and 8 installs of windows to figure out what the problem was and another 2 months to get a replacement drive from western digital. I've stuck lap tops ever since, and I've been pritty consistent about wearing those out ever 2 years.

Even if just some small part of this is true, they have shot themselves in the foot. But hey, they found success even with the high rate of red-rings on the 360, maybe they figure they can't lose.

So in Europe the price for pre-owned games will be sold 35 euros higher to cover the loss that they are taking? So in the US it would be $35 too? Or is the 35 dollars/euro the activation fee to play it.

Edited by Murphy

So in Europe the price for pre-owned games will be sold 35 euros higher to cover the loss that they are taking? So in the US it would be $35 too? Or is the 35 dollars/euro the activation fee to play it.

It's important to stress that we don't know the details yet and that article is being re-edited as more info comes in.

If it did follow that scenario, it would be equivalent to or comparable to in price. The 35 Euros is a estimate price. The numbers aren't final and we probably won't know till, I would say, well after E3. But it probably will fit the model that Microsoft and the studio get a cut of the resale. My guess would be Microsoft would take a 10-15% cut, then the studio would pocket 20-25% and the retailer would keep the rest.

Another scenario is there will be a surcharge to reactivate the used game. So if you bought a used game for say $40 (~30 Euros) from a retailer, the retailer pockets that entire sale, but then you'll have to pay an activation charge ~$5 (4 Euros).

As I see it, the end result, regardless, would be that used games would probably go up in price. Again, we don't know the final details and what we are hearing are probably the beginnings of the negotiations for how they are handling this.

Recently got into RIFT, courtesy of their Raptr game+xpac+30 days giveaway. Going F2P in a couple of weeks but I've already found an awesome guild and loving it so far, especially the ability to customize your souls.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/31/xbox-one-vs-ps4-the-results-ign-versus

Pretty good versus done by ign. Honestly, none of that surprised me based on the overall reactions after the xbox1 reveal, but we'll see if things change post E3. I stand firm for ps4, but I honestly thought the Xbox one controller would win in the individual category, since it looks rock solid.

So, Did anyone on here play Tomb Raider when it came out a few months ago? I needed something new to play over the summer and I grabbed it plus a couple $5 games. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through or less but this is a REALLY fun game. It's an interesting story and the controls/game-play are absolutely perfect. Combat is fun and encourages being all stealthy and badass without punishing you if you screw up and the exploration/platforming is additively fun.

So, Did anyone on here play Tomb Raider when it came out a few months ago? I needed something new to play over the summer and I grabbed it plus a couple $5 games. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through or less but this is a REALLY fun game. It's an interesting story and the controls/game-play are absolutely perfect. Combat is fun and encourages being all stealthy and badass without punishing you if you screw up and the exploration/platforming is additively fun.

My only complaint is it was too linear, with very little in the way of replay value.

My only complaint is it was too linear, with very little in the way of replay value.

What he said.

But...the challenges did keep me occupied for quite a while. That said, there really isn't any solid replayability once you're done with the challenges.

I've found using Amazon for buying used games usually has venders selling them at more competitive prices compared to stores like GameStop, even with shipping and state mandated taxes applied. I get that Microsoft is trying to help out developers in the second hand market, it's just being more restrictive about the process for the consumer. Maybe it can give gamers a little more incentive to think about what they're buying and not trade in games so quickly to these stores.

Well it's confirmed that Kiefer Sutherland is going to be the voice of Snake in MGS5. Also confirmed is the time setting, which is 1984.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/06/kojima-reveals-voice-of-snake-in-metal-gear-solid-v.aspx

No Hayter, no purchase. And Kojima is full of crap on his reasoning: Otsuka is still doing Snake in the Japanese version.

Meh, honestly in the entire 5 years of owning my 360 I've never rented a game, borrowed or loaned a game from someone, bought or traded in a used game from any retailer besides Gamestop, and played with my Xbox offline all of maybe 3 times.

But hey, enjoy you're cabin in the woods. The fresh air and nature is good for you.