All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I remember reading something about Capcom's chairman (or or some other Japanese game company) laughing at a rival company that provided a complete game when they could have gotten away with slicing chunks of extras off and selling them as DLC's. Douchebag.

On a related note, EA pretty much agrees with that. It makes me feel less guilty about screwing the company by getting their games used at Gamestop.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microtransactions-will-be-in-every-game-says-ea-exec-6383445

I'm one of them.

Same here. Dawn of Sorrow is one of my favourite DS games, and while Portrait of Ruin was a step down, it was still great. (Order of Ecclesia kinda blew, tho.)

They seem pretty intent on telling me that everything I loved about the DS Castlevania games will not be a part of the 3DS game. Seeing the videos has made me lose all interest. It looks like a 2.5D God of War more than a Castlevania. Not a fan.

Good to see Professor Layton and Animal Crossing on the way, but is anyone else perplexed by the lack of DS classics making their way to the 3DS? I really want some 3DS news on Phoenix Wright, Pokemon, Rune Factory, Advance Wars, Infinite Space and any number of games that chewed up a tonne of my time on the DS.

It's really hard for me to say... I've never played any of the previous Civ games, so I can't really comment on the complaints people seem to be having. I think the consensus is that people are glad Civ V uses hexes instead of squares, and glad that you can't stack units any more, but felt that it lacked diplomatic options, especially with city states, and that the AI was a little dumb (and these issues are all supposedly address with the new expansion). All I can tell you is that I find the game to hopelessly addicting. I actually started one game just to kill a little time in the afternoon and wound up playing for six hours. I'd really like to get the expansion, but I'm saving to replace my laptop.

For many years, I've heralded the claim that Civilization is the most addictive game ever and that the box should come with some kind of surgeon general's warning about the effects of playing the game. I'll look at some reviews of the expansion when I get a chance. Maybe they'll change my mind.

The last civilisation game I played was II for the PSX. I attempted to play the others, but I felt in over my head. My dad thought I had issues when I nuked Ghandi.

As it turns out, I consider Ghandi to be the best leader in Civ 4. I guess he just fits my play style better than the other selections. Plus, the Fast Worker is the best and most useful special unit in the game. You get to use it at the beginning of the game and it never goes obselete!

Been playing Wing Commander II and I've forgotten how much I loved these games as a kid. (Basically Korean and Vietnam era air combat in space) Spirits death still gets to me after all this time. Never got to play WC3 and 4 till very recently, thanks to GOG.

Oh shoot, they have WC4? I heard it wasn't as good as 3, so never really chased it down, but given how craptastic the combat/space sim market has been (I honestly don't even remember how long it was since we got a good space combat sim), I find myself looking back through my collection for fun stuff to try.

I've still got my original WC 1-3, on the original disks (diskettes for WC 1), and make a habit of playing through them every once in a while with DOSBox. Works beautifully. :)

Kinda wanted to give Prophecy a try too, but never managed to get a copy. The ship designs in that were some of my favorites from the entire series.

Edited by Chronocidal

In honor of Planetside's ninth anniversary and the upcoming beta for Planetside 2, Sony Online Entertainment is giving 45-day passes to previous and current subscribers of the game. I've been playing this old classic for the last couple of days. If anyone wants to join me, let me know.

Oh shoot, they have WC4? I heard it wasn't as good as 3, so never really chased it down, but given how craptastic the combat/space sim market has been (I honestly don't even remember how long it was since we got a good space combat sim), I find myself looking back through my collection for fun stuff to try.

I've still got my original WC 1-3, on the original disks (diskettes for WC 1), and make a habit of playing through them every once in a while with DOSBox. Works beautifully. :)

Kinda wanted to give Prophecy a try too, but never managed to get a copy. The ship designs in that were some of my favorites from the entire series.

They also have WC: Privateer which is one I never played before. I used to play WC1 at my cousins place since he had the diskettes and everything.

Never got to play Starlancer, but after modders got ahold of Freelancer, it actually became something quite epic. If you stop thinking of it as a space combat game, and more of an rpg shooter, it's quite enjoyable.

I wonder if they've got Privateer2 though, I'd love to see more of David Warner. :)

One thing that got to me with the craft in the WC games was what happened to the Rapier's, Epee's and Sabre's in WC3 and 4? They pretty much all disappeared and we got the Hellcat but the time between WC2 and 3 was only 3-4 years I think. Not sure if it was Origin just wanting some new fresh fighters or they didn't want to render the more complex designs from the older games. I missed not having the F-57 Sabre in WC3. Thing was a beast.

Edited by Shadow

One thing that got to me with the craft in the WC games was what happened to the Rapier's, Epee's and Sabre's in WC3 and 4? They pretty much all disappeared and we got the Hellcat but the time between WC2 and 3 was only 3-4 years I think. Not sure if it was Origin just wanting some new fresh fighters or they didn't want to render the more complex designs from the older games. I missed not having the F-57 Sabre in WC3. Thing was a beast.

While I'm sure they wanted fresh fighters, more importantly, the game engine they were using was completely different than the cartoon-ish system they were using for WC and WC II. It was as close to a 3D engine as the hardware of the time could do. A true 3D-capable engine didn't come until Prophecy.

For those Android users, highly recommend the following games.

• Strike Force Omega: Top down tactical, starships vs bugs game.
  • Dead Trigger: Zombie FPS.
  • SAS 3: Top down zombie shooter.
  • Modern Combat 3: FPS.
  • N.O.V.A 3: Sci Fi FPS (kinda like Halo).

Graham

WCII is set in the year 2656. WCIII is set in 2669 13 years after. If it makes you feel any better some of the old designs appear in missions in WCIV.

Actually, WC2 takes place in 2665, ten years after the events of WC. I was never certain when WC3 and IV took place. Thanks for clarifying on that.

Also for LOMAC players. Another third-party developer is releasing the Mig-21bis. Looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOezut5o1k&feature=player_embedded

Confirmed new aircraft for LOMAC currently are:

P-51D

F-15E

F-14D

F-22

Mig-21bis

Edited by Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

So. I'm not going to go and say that anyone should go and buy HAWX for this, because it's a terrible, terrible game, with science fiction flight physics.

BUT.

If you happen to have sunk the money into the PC version, and want some recompense for your loss, this might help a bit.

I mean, if you're going to be playing something with pure science fiction physics, may as well run as far as you can with it. This is the reason I love PC games.. even when the companies manage to bork them up, you can sometimes pull something worthwhile out of their disaster.

Now, if they could just figure out a way to make aircraft actually turn when you bank... <_<

Now, if they could just figure out a way to make aircraft actually turn when you bank... <_<

For all its early praise, I still think "F-15E Strike Eagle" had a really messed up flight model. Attitude determined direction, period. Low and slow, flaps down, minimal throttle? 0.05 degrees nose-up would make you climb. Caused a lot of problems trying to land like that. I actually spent a while just using outside views to prove it. I'd make TINY adjustments, and watch what the plane did.

Never played the first one of those, but I definitely still have F-15 Strike Eagle II on 5.25" floppies sitting in a box somewhere. Could probably even run the game again with DOSBox, but good luck finding a drive that you can read those with now.

What I really need to get around to is making Strike Commander work. Don't think it was ever actually realistic (pretty much Wing Commander II with F-16s) but it looked pretty fun, and I think was one of the earliest games to ever combine polygon graphics with texture mapping.

I don't know how true this is, but I heard a rumor from my XBox live friends that EA is going to be jacking the price of their online pass for thier games by 100% (from 800 MS points (about $10.00 U.S.) to 1600 points (about $20.00 U.S.), further screwing over gamers who either buy their games used, or share their games with others (two players can play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer using both disks in different systems). I'm sorry, but if this is true, then E.A. can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.

Found a copy of Ace Combat 2 in excellent condition for $6 at a local media store. Picked it up and have been playing through the missions. So far, really enjoying it for how old it is. The A-4 has been my favorite aircraft thus far. Just an all around fun arcade-style game.

Edited by Shadow