All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Live Gameplay demo

tljones.jpg

seriously, at this point, I just want it to stop.

Dead Space 3 trailer:

OH MY GOD, SQUEE!!!

I like dead space a lot. ^_^

:edit:

As for Halo 4, I've still got enough of a soft spot for master chief to pick it up, but I'm a little confused as to what's going on with the story at this point. For one, Why are you still fighting Covenant? You beat them all at the end of 3; and even if MC doesn't know that the wars been over for a while now, why is he shooting Elites? Humans and Elites buddied up even before the war ended, you'd think he'd be remember that oh yeah, where friends now, we played 4 player co-op together and everything.

Also, where and when did MC find the time to pick up a new set of armor when he's supposedly been in cryo-sleep and out of contact with everybody for however many years it's been since the end of 3?

Edited by anime52k8

Crysis 3 Live Demo Gameplay

Oh joy. Looks they actually incorporated the HD graphics pack that they left out of the release of Crysis 2 and made us download later. *Imnotbitter*

Basically it went like this---casual, kinect, casual, celebrity appearance, kinect, actual game reveal, casual, kinect, kinect, another celebrity, Halo 4, web-browsing, TV-ipod-XboxLive, ESPN-XboxLive, end. One giant "we're trying to copy Nintendo/get I-phone casual players as much as possible" announcement.

Actual new games/tech for gamers---very little.

Basically it went like this---casual, kinect, casual, celebrity appearance, kinect, actual game reveal, casual, kinect, kinect, another celebrity, Halo 4, web-browsing, TV-ipod-XboxLive, ESPN-XboxLive, end. One giant "we're trying to copy Nintendo/get I-phone casual players as much as possible" announcement.

Surprisingly, Microsoft kinda copied Nintendo with this SmartGlass. Except of adding a new accessory, they are making your mobile phone or tablet into a controller. No new console. Just taking advantage of the current hardware.

On a related note, the same vibe seemed to come out of Sony's keynote. New software and PS Vita bundles. The highlight seems to be Assassin's Creed 3 being multi-platform (PS3 and PS Vita players can now co-op simultaneously or cross-control). Oh, and yet another God of War game, God of War: Ascension coming out March 2013.

As for Halo 4, I've still got enough of a soft spot for master chief to pick it up, but I'm a little confused as to what's going on with the story at this point. For one, Why are you still fighting Covenant? You beat them all at the end of 3; and even if MC doesn't know that the wars been over for a while now, why is he shooting Elites? Humans and Elites buddied up even before the war ended, you'd think he'd be remember that oh yeah, where friends now, we played 4 player co-op together and everything.

Also, where and when did MC find the time to pick up a new set of armor when he's supposedly been in cryo-sleep and out of contact with everybody for however many years it's been since the end of 3?

Well if this storyline is going where I think its going... basically in one of the novels that's considered canon we nuked the Elites homeworld using a boobytrapped bomb. Thanks to the Covenant among other things the Arbiter wasn't aware of this when he allied with the UNSC. So yeah the Elites can't be too happy about it.

Well if this storyline is going where I think its going... basically in one of the novels that's considered canon we nuked the Elites homeworld using a boobytrapped bomb. Thanks to the Covenant among other things the Arbiter wasn't aware of this when he allied with the UNSC. So yeah the Elites can't be too happy about it.

I've never heard of that before now, and I actually can't find anything about it on the internet, but that sounds incredibly dumb.

I think the most satisfying explanation for me would be that having a rampant Cortana plugged into his suit has made MC completely delusional and crazy, and through most of the game he's actually murdering friendlies and fighting phantom enemies that don't even exist.

:edit:

BTW, what the hell is "Mighty Ape"?

apparently I have to pre-order Halo 4 from them in order to get what is perhaps the most badass helmet design I've ever seen.

http://loudmouthedga...-order-bonuses/

seriously, look at this thing:

post-4286-0-75331500-1338875005_thumb.jpg

It's a god damn eyeless robot skull. that's awesome.

Edited by anime52k8

The funny thing is... I've been wondering for quite some time where the 360's internet browser is. It seems to be the one place they HAVEN'T been playing bullet-point parity ever since the initial launch. I was sure they were going to add it with the last GUI overhaul, when they killed the original interface and made the 360 into a multimedia entertainment device instead of the friggen' VIDEO GAME PLAYER I paid money for.

I've never heard of that before now, and I actually can't find anything about it on the internet, but that sounds incred

My bad. I went back and checked, and the novel hinted it was their homeworld. Turns out it was only a colony world populated mostly by Elites. Its been a long time since I read it.

Yes. Everyone was waiting for the 3DS XL.

Okay, I admit I wanted a larger one, but... everyone else was "where's the smaller model with better battery life Nintendo always puts out six months later, except when they don't?"

Except this concept is false. It typically takes them two years to release an iterative hand held (except for the Gameboy where it was more like eight.) The internet is just very good at being overly dramatic and then actually believing their own hyperbole. I'm not saying they won't announce something now but the 3DS has been out since March of 2011 so that makes any potential announcement WAY past six months. If they announced a new version of the 3DS in six months, or even in September, I wouldn't be surprised. Right now it's internet conjecture. It's not like Sony hasn't followed suit. They had three iterations of the PSP already. And new iPad's actualoly do come out every six to eight months.

Unless I missed it, the rumor about the 3DS XL proved false. Saw a lot of amazing stuff coming for the 3DS and WiiU, but no 3DS redesign. I love my launch aqua colored one and there are so many games coming out I'd like to get for it.

It's Nintendo. Their belief in control of information is so strong that I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the system from the floor JUST to let them announce it on their own terms.

Except this concept is false. It typically takes them two years to release an iterative hand held (except for the Gameboy where it was more like eight.) The internet is just very good at being overly dramatic and then actually believing their own hyperbole. I'm not saying they won't announce something now but the 3DS has been out since March of 2011 so that makes any potential announcement WAY past six months. If they announced a new version of the 3DS in six months, or even in September, I wouldn't be surprised. Right now it's internet conjecture. It's not like Sony hasn't followed suit. They had three iterations of the PSP already. And new iPad's actualoly do come out every six to eight months.

Well, yes. That was kind of my point.

And Sony has a consistent pattern of major visible hardware revisions that make the new version distinctly superior. Every piece of game hardware they've put out so far has had issues at launch and been revised to not suck so much later. Except the Vita, but if it survives through next year, I expect to see some changes.

PS1 and PS2 launch units especially. They were both massively unreliable.

While the PS3 has lost features at every step, they've been mostly uninteresting(exception: PS2 compatibility, which is STILL overblown), and they've gained the "not six hundred dollars" feature along the way.

Nintendo has a pretty spotty pattern of major revisions, and it's usually debatable if the new one is better or not, GameBoy Pocket being about the only definite yes. Other than that one, there's tradeoffs made if you get the newer revision.

Also, the place they made the most hardware changes isn't one people think of. There's over a dozen revisions of the NES, but it's fully transparent to the end user, so no one cares. And while they DO care about the toploading NES... RF output only, and terrible video quality. Which is arguably a fair trade for "actually works when you want it to."

If its true, then it seems they don`t want to announce it during E3, not to conflict and upset the Nintendo crowds, whom are have already 3DS.

I`m pretty sure they`ll annouce it afterwards.

One more thing Nintendo mentioned that the Wii U gamepad battery life is 3 to 5 hours, way to go Nintendo.

And Sony has a consistent pattern of major visible hardware revisions that make the new version distinctly superior. Every piece of game hardware they've put out so far has had issues at launch and been revised to not suck so much later. Except the Vita, but if it survives through next year, I expect to see some changes.

PS1 and PS2 launch units especially. They were both massively unreliable.

While the PS3 has lost features at every step, they've been mostly uninteresting(exception: PS2 compatibility, which is STILL overblown), and they've gained the "not six hundred dollars" feature along the way.

Nintendo has a pretty spotty pattern of major revisions, and it's usually debatable if the new one is better or not, GameBoy Pocket being about the only definite yes. Other than that one, there's tradeoffs made if you get the newer revision.

Also, the place they made the most hardware changes isn't one people think of. There's over a dozen revisions of the NES, but it's fully transparent to the end user, so no one cares. And while they DO care about the toploading NES... RF output only, and terrible video quality. Which is arguably a fair trade for "actually works when you want it to."

Those are some brown tinted Nintendo glasses you have on. In terms of updates to hardware I'll just list the majors. Also interesting, but miss-directed, comments about Sony. Let's look at their original hand held PSP, not the consoles, for comparison.

GB -> GB Pocket. Better battery and added color. Still plays the old games. New one, better.

GBA -> GBA SP. Better battery and backlit screen. Otherwise the other versions are just different form factors or other things you may want but aren't necessary. All of them still play the same games. New one, better.

DS -> DSLite. Better battery, better weight balance and lighter, improved control pad and buttons. Still plays all DS and GBA games. New one better.

DSLite -> DSi. The only "spotty" one here. Removes GBA compatibility but adds in wireless features and supports downloadable games. All old DS games still work. The DSi XL is simply a different model of the same thing. If you like larger screens you get larger screens but otherwise it's the exact same thing. Arguably a downgrade because of loss of backwards compatibility.

PSP -> PSP3000. Better battery, form factor. Improvement. New, better.

PSP3000 -> PSPGo. Removes ability to play games you've already purchased on disc for your old PSP. Download only games and Sony doesn't even support all disc games.

I'm going to go ahead and say that in two revisions of their very first hand held Sony has been more spotty then Nintendo has been the last the last twenty four years they've been making hand helds.

If its true, then it seems they don`t want to announce it during E3, not to conflict and upset the Nintendo crowds, whom are have already 3DS.

I`m pretty sure they`ll annouce it afterwards.

One more thing Nintendo mentioned that the Wii U gamepad battery life is 3 to 5 hours, way to go Nintendo.

How long do you expect a device constantly streaming wireless HD data to a large screen to last?

How long do you expect a device constantly streaming wireless HD data to a large screen to last?

and realistically, why do you need it to last longer than that anyways? It's just a controller, are you honestly going to play games on a Wii for 3 to 5 strait hours? And even if you are it's not that big a deal to run a USB cord to charge it off of.

and realistically, why do you need it to last longer than that anyways? It's just a controller, are you honestly going to play games on a Wii for 3 to 5 strait hours? And even if you are it's not that big a deal to run a USB cord to charge it off of.

Realistically people play games longer then 3 to 5 hours. I'm not sure how the find the time but that's their prerogative. I would say more realistically, does anybody here actually care? All I've ever read or got he impression of around here is that Sony is king and Nintendo sucks. I doubt many people here will try this thing out so why eve worry about it? I was honestly asking what sort of performance was expected of this controller and if they had an real data to support the time they want it to work.

Edited by Mommar

1- On the weekend.

2- A for the USB cord, true. Forgot about that.

With my PS3 I almost always kept the controller plugged in because I would get input lag from time to time, it just got annoying after a while. I'd keep the WiiU controller plugged in as well. Also if most games can function with the pro controller, that might be another options for long term play.

I've been disappointed with almost every game I've bought recently, the exceptions have been the big Wii games I missed like the Galaxy games, Kirby, etc. Nintendo is the only company I'm totally on board with at this point.

I've never heard of that before now, and I actually can't find anything about it on the internet, but that sounds incredibly dumb.

I think the most satisfying explanation for me would be that having a rampant Cortana plugged into his suit has made MC completely delusional and crazy, and through most of the game he's actually murdering friendlies and fighting phantom enemies that don't even exist.

Another rumor flying about is that there's a group of covenant that didn't get the whole we're at peace message. The suit upgrade is supposed to be explained in game.

Those are some brown tinted Nintendo glasses you have on. In terms of updates to hardware I'll just list the majors. Also interesting, but miss-directed, comments about Sony. Let's look at their original hand held PSP, not the consoles, for comparison.

You make some major factual errors in here, and whitewash some issues in favor of establishing a clear pattern of dominance.

I take this dispute seriously enough to type it out twice! Stupid browser.

GB -> GB Pocket. Better battery and added color. Still plays the old games. New one, better.

The Pocket didn't add color. That was the GameBoy Color, which is a new system, not a revision.

If you feel the need to specify "still plays the old games", you need to reconsider if you're talking about a new system or a revision of an old one.

Pocket replaced the old green screen that smeared at the slightest hint of motion with a then-modern gray one that didn't smear. It was also much smaller.

And better battery? The pocket used a pair of AAAs. Think how long it could've run on the 4 AAs of an original Gameboy(or even just 2 AAs).

I omitted the GBColor because it's a new system. I also omitted the GameBoy Light, because it's japanese-only. It's a GameBoy Pocket with an "indiglo"-style backlight.

GBA -> GBA SP. Better battery and backlit screen. Otherwise the other versions are just different form factors or other things you may want but aren't necessary. All of them still play the same games. New one, better.

The "better battery" is highly debatable, particularly as the GBA battery is designed to be changed out. I use NiMH cells in mine, giving me rechargables, longer run time than alkalines, AND the ability to change them out instead of tethering myself to a wall when they get low.

As far as the display... it was a frontlit display for all but the last wave. And it was a terrible, washed-out frontlit display with internal reflection issues in high-contrast scenes.

The last wave used the same kind of display as the DS, and if that's what ALL the SPs had used, I'd have no complaint on that front.

I will concede the possibility my GBA is an outlier in terms of display visibility, but I had very little trouble seeing it, even while playing Circle of the Moon.

I will also concede the SP has a better d-pad than the GBA.

But the other, previously-mentioned ergonomic considerations offset it.

It's too small to be comfortable in my hideous mutant gorilla hands, and the trigger buttons are too far out from the main inputs to be comfortable to use.

It's also very front-heavy.

And a proprietary headphone jack! In the charger connector! That's completely indefensible!

I also dislike the slider volume control Nintendo changed to with the SP(and most subsequent portables). It makes it much harder to dial in a comfortable volume on my headphones.

I'd like to skip the GBMicro revision of the GBA, because so did everyone else. But as we're being COMPREHENSIVE here...

Better volume control than the SP, removed 8-bit backwards-compatibility, WAAAAAAAAAY too small. Possibly a better d-pad. The screen is apparently utterly GORGEOUS.

It MAY have used a proprietary headphone jack again, I'm not sure.

DS -> DSLite. Better battery, better weight balance and lighter, improved control pad and buttons. Still plays all DS and GBA games. New one better.

The bigger battery is not enough to offset the brighter backlight. On the higher brightness setting, it has LOWER play time than the DS it replaced in spite of the new 1000 mAh battery(the original DS battery is 850 mAh).

Also: Improved control pad? It has sharp edges that hurt your thumb after extended play and is very difficult to get diagonals out of. And start and select were re-orphaned and hurt to use.

DSLite -> DSi. The only "spotty" one here.

Mostly because it's a new system, not a hardware revision. Apples and oranges.

The DSi XL is simply a different model of the same thing. If you like larger screens you get larger screens but otherwise it's the exact same thing. Arguably a downgrade because of loss of backwards compatibility.
No one loved the DSi XL because of the greatly reduced pocketability. It's interesting to note that due to similar backlights, you actually DO get more playtime out of an XL's 1050 mAh battery than a regular DSi's 840 mAh.
PSP -> PSP3000. Better battery, form factor. Improvement. New, better.

What about the 2k?

You've forgotten a model AND misrepresent the situation terribly.

First change: Early models of the Mk1 had a defective square button that was unresponsive(it was constructed oddly since the button overhung the edge of the screen). This was not a user-visible change, and is not counted as a hardware revision for most purposes, but made a major difference in playability once it was fixed(it still overhung the edge of the screen, but after the fix it merely felt odd as opposed to being unresponsive).

The Mk2 changed to a more reliable drive mechanism that didn't eject games during overly-excited play.

It also improved the efficiency of the hardware so they could get the same life out of a battery with almost half the capacity(1200 mAh VS the original 2200).

The original Mk1 battery was available as an optional purchase for those that felt the battery didn't last long enough. It comes with a bulged battery door because the system is too thin to accomodate the original size battery.

Mk2 also added TV out.

And is much thinner than the original.

And redesigned the square button again, making it feel exactly like it's companions in the diamond.

If I recall, it also upped the brightness of the backlight.

Mk3 is MOSTLY the Mk2. It replaces the screen with a less blurry one, and integrates a microphone for VoIP functionality without a proprietary headset. It also makes TV out far more versatile.

Of course, there's some dozen different motherboard revisions in there, but the only people that care about that are homebrew users and pirates.

PSP3000 -> PSPGo. Removes ability to play games you've already purchased on disc for your old PSP. Download only games and Sony doesn't even support all disc games.

I completely forgot about the Go even existing. Like most people, I laughed at it, then ignored it. But hey, if we include the GBMicro, may as well include the PSPGo.

First, the Go came out BEFORE the Mk3. It follows off the 2k series.

It actually premieres the new and improved display that would see wide acceptance in the Mk3. For about a year, it was the best display you could play PSP games on without a TV cable.

I suspect the controls aren't as nice as the Mk2 and Mk3 inputs, but they seem servicable. Start and select are also more easily accessed on the Go than the mainline PSPs.

I'm going to go ahead and say that in two revisions of their very first hand held Sony has been more spotty then Nintendo has been the last the last twenty four years they've been making hand helds.

I'm gonna have to disagree, especially since you missed a PSP.

Sony has , by and large, actually made each revision an improvement. The PSP Go is debatable, but ALL of Nintendo's updates are debatable except the GameBoy Pocket.

And I don't think it's unfair to hold the PS1 and PS2's reliability issues against Sony when talking revisions. Nintendo's only had ONE system out of ten wtih major reliability issues. And they would fix it. Sony laughed in people's faces when PS1s and PS2s blew up.