All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

No one's talking about the PS5?

I'm not a fan of the look.  It's like what people in the 2000's thought future stuff would look like.  But then again, I haven't exactly been blown away by the designs of any of Sony's consoles.  What matters is the games.  On that front, nothing too earth-shattering, but with stuff like the new Spider-Man and another Horizon game I expect that there will be enough PlayStation-exclusives (plus the usual stuff that only ever comes out on consoles, like my annual NHL fix) that I'll be interested in picking one up.

Can't say the same for the Xbox Series X, though.  Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the brand.  I liked the original Xbox, preferred the 360 over the PS3, and I do own an Xbox One X (and use Xbox One controllers when I play some PC games).  But I can't remember the last time I played a game on the Xbox One, and that seems to be because Microsoft doesn't seem to do Xbox-exclusive, they do Microsoft-exclusive (or they consider Windows 10 an Xbox platform).  As a PC gamer first and foremost I've been able to get my fix of Halo, Gears, Forza, and whatever on PC, which leaves me very little incentive to buy the new console.

I'm someone on the fence about the appearance of the console, but will pick up the PS5 regardless for the exclusives. Everything else will probably stay on PC for me since I've gotten so used to playing in super ultrawide. 

I had an xbox one x for last gen, but feel like MSFT has given me no reason (or even an excuse) to get the Series X. On one hand, I'm glad whatever limited exclusives they do have end up on PC, but on the other, feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot in console platform expansion is their goal. 

I'm in for an X Series, but I use my One X for everything so the choice is easy. I'll get a PS5 like I got a PS4 Pro, eventually, when there's enough worthwhile exclusives for me to bother, I play all multiplat stuff on my Xbox, and the occasional exclusive Microsoft manages to muster. I'm really itching to check out Gear Tactics whenever it releases on Xbox One, loved Xcom and Front Mission. 

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

5v5 multiplayer? What the crap?! Battlefront 2 had 12v12 for their space combat.

Built on the Frostbite-engine...So they forked the Starfighter Assault-game mode and made an entire game out of it. But yeah, 5v5 seems half-assed.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Built on the Frostbite-engine...So they forked the Starfighter Assault-game mode and made an entire game out of it. But yeah, 5v5 seems half-assed.

Quarter-assed at best, really.  And frankly, I give them more flak for using an odd number like 5, than just going 4v4 or 6v6.  There's a reason actual squadrons pair each other up with wingmen  That's just nonsense, to say nothing of the fact that a "squadon" tends to mean around a dozen ships, like in ANH.

I'm.. I don't even want to call it optimistic, I want to say I'm cautiously interested.  This is EA we're talking about, and the info on the trailer basically indicates that this is probably going to be the Star Wars equivalent of WarThunder, which is essentially a massively grindy online pvp game full of cash grabs, that depends on you spending hundreds of hours in matches to upgrade your planes so they can survive (or spend money for shortcuts).

I'll give credit where it's due, it's not a terrible game, and it's really a very good VR-enabled sim with a broad selection of vintage aircraft, but the grindy pvp and leveling mechanics, to me, ruin what a flight sim should be: knowing your machine better than the other guy.  That all gets shot to hell when you add grindy progression trees and lootbox mechanics to give people with extra time or money an edge.

I will still be interested to see the single player campaign, and learn if its any good, but I don't expect much from the online play.  The idea of playing out an original trilogy combat campaign in VR (on both sides possibly?) does sound really good.

The word is that Squadrons will have a short single-player campaign but the focus is on multiplayer, like Battlefront II. Which, I guess, is a strategy that makes money for the suits that run the company, but effectively kills any interest i might have had. I'll dig out my flight stick and play TIE Fighter again instead.

Waiting for the SDK so modders can build the mods we're all dying to add.

I'm fully expecting EA/Disney to absolutely crap all over the fans making Star Wars mods, but that's not going to stop all the other franchises people have been begging to see in a space sim for literally decades.

I fully believe it's only a matter of time before people builds full-scale playable models of everything from every Enterprise, to the Galactica.

Edited by Chronocidal

16 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The word is that Squadrons will have a short single-player campaign but the focus is on multiplayer, like Battlefront II. Which, I guess, is a strategy that makes money for the suits that run the company, but effectively kills any interest i might have had. I'll dig out my flight stick and play TIE Fighter again instead.

Heh, if its like Battlefront 2 you'll only need a mouse & keyboard which actually worked surprisingly good for the flight/space portions of the game. But yeah, I doubt it'll be anywhere as detailed as the old LucasArts games :(

Makes me want to pull out X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I need to spin up a VM and install some classic space flight sims. Reading some of the comments, people want a 3rd person view...you might as well play Battlefront.

57 minutes ago, azrael said:

Makes me want to pull out X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I need to spin up a VM and install some classic space flight sims.

Isn't it easier to re-buy on Steam or GOG?  I haven't installed them to see how well they do or don't run on modern hardware, but I bought X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance on Steam's last May the 4th sale.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, JB0 said:

Why wait? It has been on sale for years.

The truth is... I'm only interested on the Single-Player Campaign (Squadron42) Online is cool and all but I miss the old SP Campaigns and drama of the Wing Commander Saga.

Honestly, this just makes me want to play Ace Combat 7 again. Or heck, Battlefront 2, the REAL Battlefront 2. I had to laugh midway through this trailer because literally all of this is just the space battle mode from the original Battlefront 2 split up into separate modes.

I really wish they'd have just released raw gameplay footage. Make it a vertical slice if you have to, I just want to see the HUD elements and actual controller movements and stuff instead of 2 seconds here and 3 seconds there of uninformative cockpit footage.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Honestly, this just makes me want to play Ace Combat 7 again. Or heck, Battlefront 2, the REAL Battlefront 2. I had to laugh midway through this trailer because literally all of this is just the space battle mode from the original Battlefront 2 split up into separate modes.

I really wish they'd have just released raw gameplay footage. Make it a vertical slice if you have to, I just want to see the HUD elements and actual controller movements and stuff instead of 2 seconds here and 3 seconds there of uninformative cockpit footage.

See, it's making me wish this was made by any company other than EA, and Star Wars was still owned by Lucas.  There's some great stuff to work with here, but we all know that modding is a forbidden art as long as the game is focused on online play, and there's no way in hell the dedicated fans will get the chance to make any kind of custom content for this game that would help it rise to the level of its predecessors.

I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the fan remake of the original X-Wing more than this, because it will be made with respect for the original, and focused on telling a compelling single player story.

I will readily admit though, I'm considering buying it, because hey, it's a VR game I can probably enjoy with my sim hardware, and I have to take what I can get in that genre.  I have zero expectations because of the publisher, and I will likely throw the online modes in the trash, but if I can set up quick melee skirmishes against waves of ships in single player?  That's really all I've wanted for a while.  I just want to pew-pew in an X-Wing in VR.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:32 PM, azrael said:

Makes me want to pull out X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I need to spin up a VM and install some classic space flight sims. Reading some of the comments, people want a 3rd person view...you might as well play Battlefront.

The SW: Squadrons trailer doesn't even get into the single player story so expect it to be a boring cliché. At least Battlefront 2's single player looked interesting in the first trailers. Cold weak sauce by EA, again!