All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I upgraded my 7 year old Samsung LED monitor to a Acer XB252Q monitor with a 240hz fresh rate. They were going for $100 off at my local Microcenter so I jumped on that deal. 

The higher refresh rate is no gimmick, makes graphics so smooth.

On a side note I had to exchange the monitor because the first one had dead pixels. Brick and mortar stores still have their uses :)

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.KX2AA.001

Edited by TangledThorns

12 hours ago, azrael said:

Jurassic Sims?

Closer to the Roller Coaster Tycoon series but with dinosaurs that escape and eat people. The original was pretty fun so here's hoping they use it as a starting point of what to do with the new game.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:50 PM, frothymug said:

Is anyone else completely stoked for War of the Chosen for XCOM 2?

More XCOM is always good, it's definitely on my radar.

Speaking of strategy games, remember Ring of Red?  Iron Harvest definitely reminds me of it.  Man, if only Front Mission had this kind of treatment.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:53 PM, dizman said:

A new Jurassic Park game was just announced and it looks to be an updated version of Operation Genesis!

I am so on board for this! My Xbox One X and Assassins Creed Origins Gold Edition are both paid off and ready!

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

nice!!

Half Life 2 writer posts Episode 3 plot online:

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

I guess it just confirmed what everyone knew all along. A shame that one of the most famous game franchises meets its end in a blogpost written by the head writer.

46 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I guess it just confirmed what everyone knew all along. A shame that one of the most famous game franchises meets its end in a blogpost written by the head writer.

Or it could be a setup for a game to reboot the series set further in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Yakuza 0 and was blown away by it. Then immediately started Kiwami and was a bit....surprised (Majima spoilers below):

Spoiler

In Yakuza 0, Majima was fairly sane and "normal." Why does he become a complete psycho by the beginning of kiwami? 

Is there something I missed? Is it cause he can't be with Makoto?

19 hours ago, Archer said:

Just finished Yakuza 0 and was blown away by it. Then immediately started Kiwami and was a bit....surprised (Majima spoilers below):

Reveal hidden contents

In Yakuza 0, Majima was fairly sane and "normal." Why does he become a complete psycho by the beginning of kiwami? 

Is there something I missed? Is it cause he can't be with Makoto?

Hmm I'll try at explaining why...

Spoiler

In 0 Majima is not sure if he wants to give in to his inner demons and go full blown crazy or just try and get by as a normal guy. At the point when you play as him he is already nuts from the 6 months of torture, letting down his sworn brother and losing an eye probably didn't help. He tries to be an okay guy around town but you can see it in the fights how much he loves hurting others (though never going so far as to kill anyone). At the end he passes on a normal life with Makoto and chooses to become the mad dog of Shimano.

Part of why he does this is because of all the people he meets in 0, especially Nishitani and Lee inspire the life he wants to lead. Another reason is he wants to build a strong family for his sworn brother to come back to if he ever gets out of prison (not dissimilar to how Nishiki starts out wanting to build a family to support Kiryu) so he has to be ruthless to climb to the top.

At least that's how I rationalize it, the truest answer is in Yakuza 1 he was just some crazy guy that wanted to have cool fights with Kiryu because the game needed a mid boss. He gets more characterization in the later games.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

My company is sending me to Hong Kong this month and I didn't want to deal with a crappy company laptop that they would loan me so I bought a Acer Predator 15. It's slightly heavy but it has amazing specs, mainly the 1060 GTX w/G-Sync.

Nice. But I would have used the company laptop and have the IT department burn it when you come back.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Nice. But I would have used the company laptop and have the IT department burn it when you come back.

Last time my company sent me on a business trip was in 2011 and my IT department loaned me a old laptop with a Celeron processor. It was actually heavier than my Predator 15 and was so weak it could barely run Firefox, not an exaggeration. I didn't want to deal with that crap again.

The Predator 15 has weight but it cools really well. I think that's the trade-off when it comes to weight vs heat in buying a gaming laptop.

34 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Last time my company sent me on a business trip was in 2011 and my IT department loaned me a old laptop with a Celeron processor. It was actually heavier than my Predator 15 and was so weak it could barely run Firefox, not an exaggeration. I didn't want to deal with that crap again.

The Predator 15 has weight but it cools really well. I think that's the trade-off when it comes to weight vs heat in buying a gaming laptop.

Let me clarify. I wouldn't want to bring a personal laptop behind the Great Firewall of China unless I planned on reformatting it when I get back. Hence, I would use the company laptop and let the IT department deal with it when I get back.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Let me clarify. I wouldn't want to bring a personal laptop behind the Great Firewall of China unless I planned on reformatting it when I get back. Hence, I would use the company laptop and let the IT department deal with it when I get back.

Why not? I take my laptop when I go. While you're there you can't access stuff like Gmail and YouTube, and some stuff that does work like Yahoo is slow as dirt, but it's not like Chinese authorities install spyware on your computer when you go through customs.

i understand there were precedents based on what i was briefed on, but let me qualify that this pertains to mainland China and not HK, and this is from 5 years ago when there was a lot of news about allegedly state-sponsored hackers. my first stop upon arrival was the Beijing office to pick up the laptop (presumably "cleaned" and/or "hardened") and to attend a security briefing. stuff like limit wifi/bluetooth use, access the office network only when within the premises, and i was given a VPN to use should i want to surf on non-work stuff from the hotel.

i'm not an IT/security expert so it's not my place to say whether those precautions were warranted then nor if they are still applicable now. my unsolicited advise though is that it's good practice not to mix business and leisure specially when on business trips. not to say one can't have fun while on assignment, most companies will have a defined policy on what is fair/acceptable use of company assets and/or privileges. oh, and always have at least 2 sources of funds.

a month will breeze by, that's just 8 weekend days. despite HK's small size, that's still not nearly enough to explore its nooks and crannies. and there's Macau just a ferry ride away ;)

i was briefly in HK last month and i'm still discovering stuff (riding the tram was surprisingly fun). Gmail works fine and Youtube on mobile was faster than in my home country, lol!

Swery is back from his quick retirement with a new studio and a new game! Surprise it's a murder mystery RPG but this time with cats, seems like the usual Swery madness. Looks like he is asking for $1.5 Million through Fig and backers (which he probably won't get) to make the game. https://www.fig.co/campaigns/the-good-life#about 

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Who's Swery?

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Aka Hidetaka Suehiro, aka Swery65, creator/director of Twin Peaks The Game Deadly Premonition and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. All-around lovable weirdo whose (probable) hypoglycemia translates to games where you constantly eat to maintain your strength.

Yup pretty much as Kajnrig said, he's one of the few game directors I pay some attention to because his games are pretty strange and interesting. Deadly Premonition has been called by many the best worst game they have played and D4 was set up as a multi part game with Microsoft backing but ended up only releasing one part (though it was pretty good).