All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

NP :) . To bad Castlevania- Mirror of Fate delayed until next year, I was really hoping for this game to be out this fall, as planned earlier.

Not gonna lie... I'd have preferred a new Metroidvania. But I liked Lords of Shadow enough that I was looking forward to Mirror of Fate. With grad school occupying so much of my time, bursts of handheld gaming is all I have time for. And since there's next to nothing to play on the Vita, the 3DS has quickly become my gaming platform of choice.

I don't understand tha actual chronology...

The Mirror of Fate are setting after Lord of Shadows?

In the new chronology?

Or a spin-off?

Mirror of Fate is after Lords of Shadow, yes, and will set up the plot for Lords of Shadow 2 on consoles. As a whole, the Lords of Shadows series is a reboot of the Castlevania series, so yeah, a new chronology. One that is, on the surface, incompatible with Lament of Innocence and the official Castlevania timeline.

If anybody is still playing this game:

Farewell, from all of us at Paragon Studios

I've been playing this game when COV came out... I used a MM bot/ta for quite a long time at the Guardian Server... toon name: Sintech... had some nice SG vs SG battles especially when one of our group consisted nothing but MMs of all types and the other with tankers, healers and blasters of all types. :D

I'm assuming, based on most of the other comments on video games at this board, that nobody but myself is particularly interested in the WiiU.

Still hoping for a new Gradius game on the 3DS.

I missed this post but I like that idea a lot. Actually, with how great some of the old NES-era games look on the little screen a "new" game with the older graphics and the 3D effect would be welcome by me. Though an old-school/new-school combination effect like what they did with the re-release of Kid Icarus would be just fine by me too.

I'm highly interested in the Wii U as a concept. There's no "must have" titles making it something I absolutely need to get, yet. I do admire Nintendo for their innovations, tho. I've played a lot of games from this generation, but I have to say that it's the few Wii games that really used the motion controls well that were the undisputed high points of this generation for me. Given how much fun the "dual screen" approach was for the DS and 3DS I'm sure the Wii U will offer up some brilliant experiences.

Put a Metroid game on it and I'm sold.

I'm highly interested in the Wii U as a concept. There's no "must have" titles making it something I absolutely need to get, yet. I do admire Nintendo for their innovations, tho. I've played a lot of games from this generation, but I have to say that it's the few Wii games that really used the motion controls well that were the undisputed high points of this generation for me. Given how much fun the "dual screen" approach was for the DS and 3DS I'm sure the Wii U will offer up some brilliant experiences.

I've honestly moved on to more PC games than anything else. And frankly, I'm not fond of the Wii. I hated the controller (even holding it sidewise for games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii never felt comfortable), and while once every 9 months or so there would be one game I absolutely had to play, odds were that it was the only Wii game I bought for the next nine months.

That said, I'm cautiously interested in the Wii U. I dig that I can play the handful of Wii games that I have on it, and that I can re-use my Wii accessories (although I have a feeling that I'm going to wind up buying a "hardcore" controller for it). I'm curious to see what ideas they come up with for the Wii Pad, and I dig that I can plug any old external hard drive into it. The old school Nintendo fan will probably want New Super Mario Bros Wii U at launch, and Bayonetta 2 is a confirmed Wii U exclusive. And while not exactly cheap, it's priced reasonably enough that I'm basically sold on it now.

I've honestly moved on to more PC games than anything else. And frankly, I'm not fond of the Wii. I hated the controller (even holding it sidewise for games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii never felt comfortable), and while once every 9 months or so there would be one game I absolutely had to play, odds were that it was the only Wii game I bought for the next nine months.

That said, I'm cautiously interested in the Wii U. I dig that I can play the handful of Wii games that I have on it, and that I can re-use my Wii accessories (although I have a feeling that I'm going to wind up buying a "hardcore" controller for it). I'm curious to see what ideas they come up with for the Wii Pad, and I dig that I can plug any old external hard drive into it. The old school Nintendo fan will probably want New Super Mario Bros Wii U at launch, and Bayonetta 2 is a confirmed Wii U exclusive. And while not exactly cheap, it's priced reasonably enough that I'm basically sold on it now.

I'm not as particular about these things as others seem to be. Between the Wii, 360 and PC I've had plenty of things to play (that doesn't even include hand helds, not to mention my life outside of video games.) So the "no games" thing never bothered me and I'm not tired of things like Mario platformers either (though I will admit Skyward Sword is the first Zelda game I've never completed.) And since my PC has had better graphics then EVERY console ever the complaint the system is underpowered holds no water for me, I'm interested in seeing who comes up with fun things for the tablet controller. I will say that right off the bat the fact it's backwards compatible but does not upscale is a HUGE missed opportunity as the Dolphin Emulator has proven again and again that most of the games would look gorgeous with just a bit of AA, that could have been a big selling point. Better hardware, new controller backwards compatible AND your whole old library looks better on that new TV. Oh well.

I've got the money (right now) so I pre-ordered a WiiU. We'll see how it goes. After not being fond of the DS or Wii NSMB games I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy NSMB2 on the 3DS so hopefully that will continue on with the WiiU. I know people have been knocking the touch screen mechanic but I can see the perfect scenario how that would work. My Mom used to watch my brother and I play video games and she always wanted to help when we had issues but she was deftly afraid to touch a controller. I'd bet with a touch screen and some platform generation she would have been fine... coincidence, that's exactly what NSMBU does. It's another way to get non-gamers to try different things and play with each other.

I've been spending a lot of time with Skyrim. Everything feels much more accessible than Oblivion - which I never bothered to finish.

I am maybe 40% done with the main storyline, completed the main Companions quest, and 2 missions shy from finishing the Dark Bros quest. At the moment though I have left all my questing on hold until I can max out my crafts. Got smithing and enchanting to 55, but Alchemy pitifully low in the 20's.

I've been spending a lot of time with Skyrim. Everything feels much more accessible than Oblivion - which I never bothered to finish.

I am maybe 40% done with the main storyline, completed the main Companions quest, and 2 missions shy from finishing the Dark Bros quest. At the moment though I have left all my questing on hold until I can max out my crafts. Got smithing and enchanting to 55, but Alchemy pitifully low in the 20's.

I actually hated Oblivion. I bought it with my 360 at launched based mostly on hype, having never played Morrowind. Didn't care for it, traded it in. Years later, I tried again on PC, figuring maybe it was the controls. Nope, still didn't care for it. Down the line, played Fallout 3 and loved it. Thought maybe my tastes for that style of game had changed, and tried a third time. Still hated it.

Even though I couldn't stomach Oblivion for much longer than the first Oblivion Gate, I gave Skyrim a try and loved it. Never actually finished it though. I played for probably 80 hours and didn't play the main story beyond learning my first shout. A bunch of other games were coming out, so I kind of put it aside and never got back to it.

This holiday doesn't look as full of games as last year, at least for me. I was thinking that I might pick up Dawnguard and give Skyrim another go.

I was on the wii bandwagon a long time ago. I scoured countless stores for one when it initially launched (you guys remember all the hype and combat for one right? :p ) Once I got it, I really enjoyed it, playing it every day, and even marathoning twilight princess over 2 days to finish it.

But for some reason, the wii never really took off for me after that. I bought maybe 3 more games for it before I purchased a PS3, which to this day, is the only console I really play. After getting a PS3, I've maybe turned my wii on 8 - 10 times.

Idk, maybe the maturity of the PS3, or the lack of popular games on wii, got to me. Seeing Black Ops 2 on the wii U gives me hope, but I really hope it doesn't turn into a another wii, with super mario games fleshing out most of their exclusives and good games.

Edited by Archer

Yeah, I mostly play PC games lately. That'll change when the 3DS gets more games where I can actually sink a lot of time into them. Like a Pokemon, Advance Wars or an Infinite Space. The kind of game you can pick up and play for a minute or two, or waste an entire weekend with. I will trade up to an XL if Platinum puts out a 3DS sequel to Infinite Space. For my money it was easily the best RPG of last generation. Home or portable. No contest.

I LOVE the Wii controller for motion control games like Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports and No More Heroes. Comfortable, and I loved how the motion control was used.

I hate it for games where you turn it sideways and use it as an NES controller. For the same reason, damn uncomfortable.

There was definitely a lack of support after the launch. The videogames industry has always had a nasty "wag the dog" habit. Early on, gamers decided the Wii was for casual games. So the more "traditional gamer" games sold below expectations. So developers backed off the hardware. Of course the lack of HD didn't help, it really drove home the disparity in graphics more than anything else.

Actually, the one thing I'm wondering with the Wii U is how often will games use controllers other than the tablet? They show a lot of games using the Wii remotes, but the system will not ship with any and peripherals historically do not do well and are usually unsupported.

Yeah, I mostly play PC games lately. That'll change when the 3DS gets more games where I can actually sink a lot of time into them. Like a Pokemon, Advance Wars or an Infinite Space. The kind of game you can pick up and play for a minute or two, or waste an entire weekend with. I will trade up to an XL if Platinum puts out a 3DS sequel to Infinite Space. For my money it was easily the best RPG of last generation. Home or portable. No contest.

I LOVE the Wii controller for motion control games like Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports and No More Heroes. Comfortable, and I loved how the motion control was used.

I hate it for games where you turn it sideways and use it as an NES controller. For the same reason, damn uncomfortable.

There was definitely a lack of support after the launch. The videogames industry has always had a nasty "wag the dog" habit. Early on, gamers decided the Wii was for casual games. So the more "traditional gamer" games sold below expectations. So developers backed off the hardware. Of course the lack of HD didn't help, it really drove home the disparity in graphics more than anything else.

Actually, the one thing I'm wondering with the Wii U is how often will games use controllers other than the tablet? They show a lot of games using the Wii remotes, but the system will not ship with any and peripherals historically do not do well and are usually unsupported.

What was this game? Infinite Space? I haven't heard of this. What was it like?

I think they're banking on the fact you already have (possibly had, which is a hole in their theory) a Wii... so you don't need any of those Wiimotes.

Seriously? You never heard of Infinite Space? It's like a cross between "Captain Herlock" and "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" in RPG form.

Some people walked into it expecting a strategy game, but it's really a JRPG. Although your "party" is made up of ships and the space battles do require more strategy than the typical RPG battle. You have to keep track of which weapons the enemy is in range of, who you're targeting, and how far into their weapon range you are.

http://youtu.be/SsJxsspHkm8

You can customize the ships with all kinds of parts, weapons and fighter craft, you also alter your stats depending on what crew members you have assigned to the various posts.

The game is huge with dozens of ships and over a hundred characters you can add to your crew. The game also has some huge branching paths. You'd have to play the game at least three times to see everything. And they're not short branches, either. They make up like 1/3 of the game.

The story is awesome.

The characters are awesome.

The music is awesome.

The whole game is just stupidly awesome.

One word of warning, tho. The in-game tutorial doesn't really do enough to drive home all aspects of a space battle. I had to look up three "tutorial trailers" that were posted to YouTube before I knew why the game seemed so incredibly difficult. Things like the fact that if you don't destroy the front row ships first, you will miss most of your shots aimed at the rear ships. Also weapon range is a big thing. You can blast away all day, if the enemy is only in range of one of your weapons you won't do much damage.

Borderlands 2 is one of the most epic games I've ever played. Really REALLY fun, cuz it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Have a buddy? Split-screen it up with him like the olden days.

I played 6 hours straight with my room-mate, didn't even notice the time fly. The plethora of equipment and really comical lines in a fairly cliche'd story backdrop make for a really fun game where you don't have to really think..

Borderlands 2 is one of the most epic games I've ever played. Really REALLY fun, cuz it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Have a buddy? Split-screen it up with him like the olden days.

I played 6 hours straight with my room-mate, didn't even notice the time fly. The plethora of equipment and really comical lines in a fairly cliche'd story backdrop make for a really fun game where you don't have to really think..

Did you like the first one? See, I played the first one and didn't like it. I might end up with Borderlands 2 anyway, though, since they're giving away copies when you buy a GTX 660ti graphics card, and I'm on the very edge of buying the card.

Yes, I will say that I was a decent fan of the first one. Not a devoted fan or anything, but I enjoyed it. It's just a matter of getting some friends together who will play consistently with you for the whole story. It's no fun when one guy goes ahead and comes back to where you are at level 50, and does all the work. It's also no fun when you have people who just loot all your stuff and leave. If you can get 4 guys together who will play a different character each, and be tactful about it, it can be quite fun.

It might be more fun now that I play splitscreen with my roommate right next to me, but the game itself has evolved quite a bit from the first one. More stuff, more comedy, a slightly more involved story, and more interesting characters with non-cliche abilities.

Yes, I will say that I was a decent fan of the first one. Not a devoted fan or anything, but I enjoyed it. It's just a matter of getting some friends together who will play consistently with you for the whole story. It's no fun when one guy goes ahead and comes back to where you are at level 50, and does all the work. It's also no fun when you have people who just loot all your stuff and leave. If you can get 4 guys together who will play a different character each, and be tactful about it, it can be quite fun.

It might be more fun now that I play splitscreen with my roommate right next to me, but the game itself has evolved quite a bit from the first one. More stuff, more comedy, a slightly more involved story, and more interesting characters with non-cliche abilities.

If I can get four guys together, we're probably going to play Dungeons and Dragons or a board game like Talisman.

Actually, you can play a lot of board games online. My one buddy had a huge Axis and Allies table setup that he used to play with people online.

But no, we actually get together and play in person. Since half of us are married and all of use are busy with our day-to-day lives, it's our way of creating a little social time where we can drink, play games, and hang out, every other week. This week we'll be playtesting the new version of Dungeons & Dragons, due to be officially released maybe in 2014, and I'm kind of excited because our group didn't care for the current edition.

As for playing videogames online, I don't care for it. I strongly prefer single-player games. If I play multi-player, it's with the same group I play board games and D&D with

Yeah, borderlands 2 might not be for you then. It's only 2 person split-screen, not 4+ like COD and the like. It's easier for those of us in dorms to manage 4 players, since we effectively live together and can hook up more than one xBox or PS3.

I'd still suggest checking it out as a rent though. Lot of fun just going around looting, even in single player format (though it will be harder).

Did you like the first one? See, I played the first one and didn't like it. I might end up with Borderlands 2 anyway, though, since they're giving away copies when you buy a GTX 660ti graphics card, and I'm on the very edge of buying the card.

I was kinda "meh" on the first Borderlands main game. It didn't really grab me until I got to the DLC. Which I only got to because I found myself with two weeks of down time on a project with nothing better to do with my time. Otherwise I might have never finished.

My problem with the game was how all of the fantastic character and humour of the game was relegated to text boxes. That changed with the DLC, where the story and characters were presented more in-game. They also fixed some gameplay issues, like the vehicles.

Borderlands 2 runs with that, and it's fantastic because of it. They definitely succeeded in making Handsome Jack one of the "great videogame villains".

Yeah, borderlands 2 might not be for you then. It's only 2 person split-screen, not 4+ like COD and the like. It's easier for those of us in dorms to manage 4 players, since we effectively live together and can hook up more than one xBox or PS3.

I'd still suggest checking it out as a rent though. Lot of fun just going around looting, even in single player format (though it will be harder).

honestly, it's not like an Xbox is a tremendously hard thing to transport. when I was in high school my friends and I would get together every weekend and have LAN parties at each others houses. I'd pack my 360 in my backpack, go to school with it then walk strait to whoever's house we were crashing at. and depending on who had access to a car at the time and how many of us were getting together we'd almost always have enough desktop monitors to hook up our consoles so that nobody had to share screens. frankly I can't stand playing Video games split screen anymore, it's just so much nicer having full screen real estate and a not-f*cked up aspect ratio.

As for playing videogames online, I don't care for it. I strongly prefer single-player games. If I play multi-player, it's with the same group I play board games and D&D with

I feel kind of the same way in that I prefer single-player games and enjoy playing multi-player games with friends rather than complete strangers, I'd actually much rather play online than in person. It's just so much more convenient to hop on to live, join a game with friends and chat them up through group voice while I've got the whole couch and 46inch flat-screen to myself.

Been playing Torchlight 2 now that it's out. I've been digging it so far. I didn't play the first one, but I've been itching for something that was Diablo like. Also, been running around in the Firefall beta. Cool game so far.

Hoping to get RE 6 by this weekend. Pretty good reviews from IGN--massive action, four divergent character paths to follow. Better partner AI this time around, but still far from perfect.

That complaint about the need to repeat certain stages and fights bothered me, though.

Been playing Torchlight 2 now that it's out. I've been digging it so far. I didn't play the first one, but I've been itching for something that was Diablo like. Also, been running around in the Firefall beta. Cool game so far.

Torchlight is fun. I've played an Outlander and Engineer to date - am on act 3 with both. Diablo 3 was a major fail for me. The artwork was wonderful, but that's about it. Incredible to think a studio with probably a tenth of the budget of the Diablo III team cranked out Torchlight II. Blizzard should be ashamed.

Just started on RE 6. Gameplay-wise, I prefer the controls and inventory system of RE5. It's not horrible, but it just feels rather unintuitive, and you can't even customize the direction buttons for specific weapons ans items. What I do like is that your partner AI is such more self-sufficient and doesn't keep calling for help.

The ability to move while aiming doesn't really help much, since you move very slowly.

The split stories concept is pretty nice, allowing you to use different characters and experience different viewpoints throughout the game as the story unfolds.

So excited about this...Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame's new baby:

Now when it comes out in a couple of years can someone make a macross mod? I'll pay one hundred thousand internet dollars. In fact, i can't help seeing the Frontier and the VF-25s whenever I watch that vid.

Edited by raptormesh

HOLY $#!%%!!!!

Chris Roberts, I salute you. Not only have you personally revived my hopes that the awesomeness that was Wing Commander might someday return, but you did it while simultaneously throwing an absolutely massive middle finger toward the current game market.

Bravo.

Also, I wouldn't get my hopes up about a Frontier style sim, though I hope mods are able to happen. Roberts' sims have always been more a mix of Star Wars and atmospheric physics than realistic, thruster driven, newtonian pysics sims.

That being said.. I'm so freaking psyched. What's actually funny... the ships look like they came straight out of Wing Commander. Inside and out. They've even got the classic gunsight-style center sensor display. But now they're fully 3D cockpits. Bottom line? I want WC remade in this engine. Start to finish, or at least 1-3. It almost looks like you could just patch in classic WC ships, and they'd fit right into the existing game, fighters, carriers, and all.

The only concern I've got now is that this'll wind up being another game focused on online play. That in itself isn't exactly a terrible thing, but if it goes the route that Mechwarrior Online has, it'll nix any possibility of a larger epic single-player campaign.

Even worse if it goes free-to-play, but runs on microtransactions, which will pretty much destroy any chance of anyone making mods for it. Granted.. given how successful MWO seems to be so far, it's still a step forward for the sim genre, and I'd LOVE to see a decent online space sim MMO.

Black Prophecy was so beautiful, such a great physics engine, and had SO much potential, but it was entirely wasted on a design team who have no concept of how to design a usable control scheme (to say nothing for the rest of the bass-ackwards game design choices). Drawing sim-fans in with a control setup that allows full stick/throttle/rudder control assignments, and then making you unlock "maneuver skills" that require you to "double tap" the throttle, or push it to max and min simultaneously... yeah. No.