All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Starfield looks insanely epic, I'm hyped! It's a really ambitious looking game, only thing I'm worried about is performance. Even on the newer Series S and X hardware Bethesda games are known for being rough at launch, I can't imagine Starfield will be any different, if anything, with it's scale, probably worse. Hopefully all those delays helped and it's mostly smooth at launch, the game looks phenomenal!

Dunno if it's regular or retro, but Shredder's Revenge comes out today/tomorrow (it's the 16th here on the East Coast, but 2:00am isn't the 16th enough, I guess).  I may pick it up on PlayStation later for the trophies, but for now I'm grabbing the Switch version so I can play with my 6yo daughter.

EDIT: I did buy the Switch version, but it's on Xbox Game Pass (PC and Console) if you already have a sub.

Edited by mikeszekely

On 6/15/2022 at 10:56 PM, mikeszekely said:

Dunno if it's regular or retro, but Shredder's Revenge comes out today/tomorrow (it's the 16th here on the East Coast, but 2:00am isn't the 16th enough, I guess).  I may pick it up on PlayStation later for the trophies, but for now I'm grabbing the Switch version so I can play with my 6yo daughter.

EDIT: I did buy the Switch version, but it's on Xbox Game Pass (PC and Console) if you already have a sub.

Shredder's Revenge is easily one of my favorite games of the year so far, it's so damn good! From the makers of Streets of Rage 4 I knew it would be something special, I think I like Turtles more then SoR4 if I'm being honest. The game is fantastic, 6 player coop, solid length, great gameplay, an extended move set beyond the old 90s games, unlockables, it's just such a full, solid package at a great price point.

I have Gamepass but absolutely bought a copy myself as well, two actually, one for Series X and one for Switch, it's such a good game, the devs absolutely earned and deserve my money. I ordered the vinyl soundtrack too, I'm a bit bummed I didn't grab the really big edition for Series X when I had the chance, it's such a great little beatem up. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I'm cautiously excited for this. Robocop is one of my all time favorite movies, and the game is coming from the people who did Terminator: Resistance- a decidedly solid  game made by people who were clearly fans of the source material.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Metroid Dread last weekend (played through it on normal and 100% hard mode).

On the one hand it is pretty great. The classic Metroid gameplay is awesome. Graphics are mostly good. Controls very well. Some of the bosses are challenging and fun to avoid their attacks.

On the other hand the E.M.M.I. sections of the game don’t work. What I think the developer wants you to do is to sneak through the areas carefully avoiding any contact with the robots. 
However since the are only patrolling narrowly defined areas and there is no penalty to dying the winning strategy is running through the areas as fast as possible to find the exit.
Which works and is faster but super frustrating when you run into a dead end (die since the QTEs to escape them is a game of chance).

Not fun at all. I think they did it so that speedrunners can plow through these sections. Oh, and the E.M.M.I. zones look boring as hell once you dispatched them.

Also the hard mode is not hard. It is a flat out damage output increase to all the enemies (I think it’s actually doubled) but since you can only play it after the first playthrough you know the mechanics and secrets of the game so it actually felt easier than the first run on normal.

I would have loved to see extra boss phases, alternative bosses, an alternative ending etc. 

There is the one hit kill Dread mode but I think I can’t stomach that since I’m too sloppy playing games now.

• 1 month later...

I’m currently at playing Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth on the Switch.

Funny thing, die cartridge I imported from Japan comes with English text.

It is a fun combination between a Ikaruga like bullet hell shmup and a Metroidvania platformer.

It has some issues with the difficulty. So some bosses are super hard until you figure out a strategy that negates all the difficulties (recently fought a black dragon where you could sneak between head and body and be save from most attacks). And Deedlit feels overpowered most of the time but than gets beaten into a mush if you are not careful.

Other than that it is a lot of fun to play and probably one of the prettiest sprite based games I‘ve seen on any system. I wish Bloodstained looked that good.

And it is good to see something from Record of Lodoss War coming out. Karla on the cover of an anime magazine in the 90s resulted in me buying said magazine and getting sucked into anime and manga.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

I’m currently at playing Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth on the Switch.

Funny thing, die cartridge I imported from Japan comes with English text.

It is a fun combination between a Ikaruga like bullet hell shmup and a Metroidvania platformer.

It has some issues with the difficulty. So some bosses are super hard until you figure out a strategy that negates all the difficulties (recently fought a black dragon where you could sneak between head and body and be save from most attacks). And Deedlit feels overpowered most of the time but than gets beaten into a mush if you are not careful.

Other than that it is a lot of fun to play and probably one of the prettiest sprite based games I‘ve seen on any system. I wish Bloodstained looked that good.

And it is good to see something from Record of Lodoss War coming out. Karla on the cover of an anime magazine in the 90s resulted in me buying said magazine and getting sucked into anime and manga.

I haven't played Deedlit yet, but I've sunk a bunch of time into the dev's previous Metroid-em-up, Touhou Luna Nights. Sounds like Deedlit's very similar. I consider that a good thing.

Edited by JB0

34 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I haven't played Deedlit yet, but I've sunk a bunch of time into the dev's previous Metroid-em-up, Touhou Luna Nights. Sounds like Deedlit's very similar. I consider that a good thing.

Both are on Xbox Game Pass.  I'll have to check them out, as soon as I finish Fire Emblem Warriors: The Three Hopes.  I've got a little over 80 hours in, I finished the Kingdom and Empire stories, now I'm getting ready to do the Alliance.