All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

On 6/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, davidwhangchoi said:

Ugh.  If I had the money (and hadn't just bought a new PC early last year) I'd buy the tower.  Not so keen on the monitors.  I mean, yeah, they look cool, and I know a lot of gamers prefer higher refresh rates, but I'd rather have the 4K resolution and 60hz display I already have.

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

Got Gamepass and started Nier: Automata, because 2B is too cute.

Game Pass is a really good deal.  Especially if you want an Xbox; I did that program where I paid nothing up front and $35/month for two years and got a Series X with two years of Game Pass Ultimate.  I've played some ok games and some good games, on both console and Xbox, and I haven't actually bought an Xbox game yet.

Speaking of, I downloaded Dark Alliance.  And... yeah.  I mean, almost everything you've probably read about it is true.  The name is a way to dupe fans of the older Dark Alliance games, but has zero similarities in terms of gameplay.  Weirdly, it's like a melee action game with shooter controls, very clunky.  The enemy AI is stupid, the lock-on controls suck, it's a bit glitchy, and the scaling between difficulties is way off (on 1 I can run through a level and barely get hurt, on 2 I barely cleared the first level after dying three times and using all my potions on the boss despite having a "strength score" high enough for 3).  The character models look a little weird, especially Wulfgar and Cattie-brie.

And yet... maybe because I've read almost all of the Forgotten Realms books, including all of the Drizzt ones (and most Dragonlance and some Ravenloft and Spelljammer books), and maybe because I've been playing D&D since 3rd edition... once I got over the fact that it plays nothing like the older Dark Alliance games I'm actually enjoying it.  I might have felt differently if I'd bought the game, I suppose, but for something that I'm getting for "free" it's fun.

53 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Not so keen on the monitors.  I mean, yeah, they look cool, and I know a lot of gamers prefer higher refresh rates, but I'd rather have the 4K resolution and 60hz display I already have.

If it was 1080p, I'd be with you. But, all other things being equal, I think I'd rather have 1440p@170 than 2160p@60.

Edited by JB0

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

If it was 1080p, I'd be with you. But, all other things being equal, I think I'd rather have 1440p@170 than 2160p@60.

I'm not telling anyone that they're wrong for having that opinion, especially since my dissent seems to be the minority.  But with an RTX 2080 I can barely hit 60fps with everything turned up graphically, and I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60 let alone 60 and more-than-60, so 4K and 60 for me.

(Side note, I have a laptop with a 1080p 120hz display and an RTX 2060, and it conveniently works out that whatever settings I use to hit 4k 60fps on my desktop get me 60fps on the laptop.)

At least LCDs don't flicker, in general. Can't use a computer CRT at 60 Hz, never have been able to.

(Far as graphics adapters, I've got a Radeon 480. Was starting to consider an upgrade when buttcoin diggers and plague effects reduced supply to essentially zero. High-res gaming with anything modern is just straight-up off the table. )

Edited by JB0

21 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

So, the studio behind the definitely not AAA, but surprisingly solid Terminator: Resistance are working on a Robocop game.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

20 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

So, the studio behind the definitely not AAA, but surprisingly solid Terminator: Resistance are working on a Robocop game.

That is good news! I hope they bring the same love of Robocop that they did to Terminator... and that they're given a chance to shine at retail. Their Terminator game was critically savaged for no apparent reason, and it scared a lot of folks off.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47x8qbzsrejokx312ixf

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

That is good news! I hope they bring the same love of Robocop that they did to Terminator... and that they're given a chance to shine at retail. Their Terminator game was critically savaged for no apparent reason, and it scared a lot of folks off.

Yeah, I'd have never bothered with it, but it was getting really good user reviews on Steam.  I was in the mood for a shooter, so I grabbed it on a sale.  Like I said, it wasn't a AAA game; the graphics were kind of just OK, the plot was so-so, and it was a bit buggy.  But they clearly cared about the franchise and the lore, and the result was definitely fun.  And, although I've seen all the films and The Sarah Conner Chronicles I wouldn't consider myself a huge Terminator fan.  Robocop, despite the sequels not being so good, is a franchise I'm more interested in, so I'm cautiously excited for this.  The impression I got was that it's a few years out, though.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

The storage seems really low. We shall see how it is when released.

64GB isn't going to hold much in the way of modern games, no. But if I decide to get one I'll pay the extra $120 to upgrade to the 256GB NVMe drive. And all of them support MicroSD cards.

36 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

For that price it should be the dual-screen version.

I say this as someone who can't see the price because "see price in cart" and "presold out", but has seen enough of the Arcade 1-Up product line to venture a guess.

22 minutes ago, Keith said:

That roster makes zero sense.

You're not wrong. A melee suit like Barbatos in a team FPS? Dom Trooper? I get wanting an pretty iconic suit like the Dom, but the SEED version? And Methuss... Because who the heck wants to play as Methuss?

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

The Heavyarms Custom? 

Or Leopard, Dynames, Virtue, any of the walking beanspray dispensers in SEED, The Rx-79's with custom loadouts, Rx-78 MkII which was practically built to be hi-end infantry, etc, etc.

Their mobile suit choices are just bad. This actually would have been the perfect time to implement a gunpla mechanic where you start out with a base frame & customize it with parts & whatnot as you level up. Kinda like the loadouts in COD.