All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

6 hours ago, Gerli said:

I enjoyed DeusEx A LOT so this game is a MUST for me :wub:

Yeah, this seems pretty reasonable. I liked what little of Human Revolution that I played, and I'm not sure in retrospect why/how I drifted away from it. I should get back to that...

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

It's mostly The Witcher 3 thing, Witcher 3 was widely considered one of the best RPGs ever made, and easily one of the best games of last generation, if not the best RPG of last gen. Witcher 3 was pretty phenomenal, it set a huge standard for open world, third person RPGs, the Assassins Creed series and many others have taken many, many, many different cues from Witcher 3 and blended it into the blood most of their newer games. A lot of RPG-lite games these days are built around Witcher 3 tropes. 

Sigh. Maybe I should finally download it from GOG now and see what all the fuss was about... :lol:

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

The game is amazing so far though, I don't think it's the second coming of Christ like some gamers have made it out to be, but I think it's really, really good. The world is beautiful, and believable, I feel I am fully in charge of every aspect of my character, what I say, do, how I engage situations, it's a full RPG through and through, I'm pretty happy so far. The bugs I've run into haven't been game breaking either, mostly annoying or humorous, lots of T-Pose NPCs standing around in larger areas. 

This was kind of the sense I got of what it would be. A very thorough, in-depth RPG... but there have been many thorough, in-depth RPGs in the past as well. It wouldn't bring much that's necessarily new or innovative, but it would bring everything together and do it all very well. (Aside from optimization... and bugs... and more bugs... :lol:)

1 hour ago, Drad said:

Because it's an opportunity to play in a cyberpunk setting made famous by Blade Runner that until now we haven't had the technology to adequately experience. That and it's the video game version of Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk tabletop RPG that many of us played back in the day. For me it was high school. Good times.

That's why it's a big deal.

I mean... there's Deus Ex mentioned above... I mean if it is just Deus Ex The Newest One, and if it's just a case of me significantly underestimating the number of people who have been really chomping at the bit for more Deus Ex, then I guess that would explain it.

Bah. Well, whatever. Maybe I'll pick it up in a year or two, once all the bugs have been ironed out. I'll have plenty of time to finish up on HR and Mankind Divided, then.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I mean... there's Deus Ex mentioned above... I mean if it is just Deus Ex The Newest One, and if it's just a case of me significantly underestimating the number of people who have been really chomping at the bit for more Deus Ex, then I guess that would explain it.

The game that CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077 is based on was created in 1988, twelve years before Deus Ex was released. Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2077 aren't the first games in the genre, but they certainly aren't the newest Deus Ex. The people who've been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 are anxious because the game has been in development for seven years by a very well-regarded developer and they've been wanting a video game version of Cyberpunk, the tabletop RPG. Then there's the fans of the genre in general.

Whatever the case, lots of people have been waiting a very long time for this one. Check it out!

22 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Can I ask: What exactly is it about Cyberpunk 2077 that has everyone so excited? Is it mainly the devs' pedigree, ie Witcher 3? Does it stand out amongst cyberpunk media? I remember the hype was already through the roof the moment the first announcement was made, and I just don't get why.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing.  This game seems to have an unusual amount of hype around it- Nvidia even had a "X days until Cyberpunk 2077" counter on Twitter for the last week.  Yet, aside from knowing that Keanu Reeves is in it and it's from the guys who made the Witcher games I still no almost nothing about it.  A part of me wants to buy it right now just to see what the hype is about, but I've still gotta finish AC Valhalla, Age of Calamity, and Miles Morales (plus, as a fan of Ubisoft's open worlds games in general, I'm sure to pick up Immortals: Fenyx Rising).

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Seems like CD Projekt RED could have done with one more delay.

And I'll just leave this here...

got myself a new gaming laptop with an RTX 2080 Super full Desktop powered GPU and an i7.  runs cyber punk ultra on 1080p 80fps, with raytracing 58 fps. not too bad...

damn Cyberpunk is buggy, can't use the touchpad when i'm lying down and lazy. there's a widespread bug that's going on:

several long threads on it:

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Seems like CD Projekt RED could have done with one more delay.

One wonders how it passed the vaunted quality assurance tests that console manufacturers assure us is the primary reason for strict control of releases and associated licensing fees. It is almost like they're really just looking for a sack of money and aren't booting the games at all.

I‘m playing Cyberpunk on the PS4 Pro with an HD tv and it seems to run ok for the most parts. Some late loading of the  correct LoD model and some other bugs but nothing game breaking yet.

What I‘m more concerned about is the core game. It seems a not well thought out and the implemented systems seem lackluster (character development, game mechanics, etc.) I hope that changes while I continue playing.

One example is the lack of character customization once the initial creation is over. I have the feeling a lot more 3rd person interactions (and systems around your character customization) where planned (like how you could see your character coming out of the elevator in the first mission that was present in the demo). But this was all scrapped, maybe due to lack of resources/ experience. 

Which is fine but i have the nagging feeling that many systems in the game where cut back in that way which makes me wonder what CDPR was doing the whole time.

Maybe CP77 was too big of a departure of what they know/are able to handle after the Witcher 3.

Open World games are hard to implement properly especially when you add a whole RPG on top of it.

[edit:]  Two more things I noticed. The  GUI seems to be implemented with the PC in mind and doesn’t seem to be optimized for consoles (i.e. best played with mouse and keyboard).

Speaking of the GUI it is tiny. I’m playing on a 37 inch TV and sitting 9 ft away from the screen and I can’t read most of the information on the screen like what button to press, how much items to replenish my health with are left etc. Is my TV too small or is this present on bigger screens too?

The same issue made RDR2 unplayable for me. Thankfully not every element is so small.

Edited by Scyla

6 hours ago, Scyla said:

Is my TV too small or is this present on bigger screens too?

I don't have the game and can't comment on it specifically, but your TV is almost certainly too small for that distance.  A rule of thumb is that the optimum distance is between 1.5 and 2.5 times the diagonal screen distance.  For 9' away, you should have at least a 43" TV (which seems like a weird size, but apparently Samsung does make them), and you could go all the way up to 70".  Rtings.com has a more advanced way of calculating the optimal screen size based on the TV screen filling up about 30 degrees of your field of view (for mixed usage), and a 65" TV would be the sweet spot for sitting 9' away.

15 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I don't have the game and can't comment on it specifically, but your TV is almost certainly too small for that distance.  A rule of thumb is that the optimum distance is between 1.5 and 2.5 times the diagonal screen distance.  For 9' away, you should have at least a 43" TV (which seems like a weird size, but apparently Samsung does make them), and you could go all the way up to 70".  Rtings.com has a more advanced way of calculating the optimal screen size based on the TV screen filling up about 30 degrees of your field of view (for mixed usage), and a 65" TV would be the sweet spot for sitting 9' away.

Well, I guess it is time to look for a new TV then. Guess the new ones won’t come with ports for my SNES and Game Cube. :unknw:

Thanks for the input, Mike.

Edited by Scyla

7 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Well, I guess it is time to look for a new TV then. Guess the new ones won’t come with ports for my SNES and Game Cube. :unknw:

In anticipation of (someday) getting a PS5 I replaced my own TV with a 75" 4K LG Nanocell, and it's still got a component video hookup.  A company called HD Retrovision makes a component video cable for the SNES, and I think the Gamecube had an official one.  If you have other older consoles you want to use, though, you might be better off investing in a good composite/S-Video/component to HDMI converter.  Just make sure it has a decent upscaler; modern TVs can't really handle the native resolutions of stuff like the NES.

Sony pulling Cyberpunk is huge, that's one of the first blockbuster, AAA games to get that treatment. Not surprised, it's garbage on earlier consoles, and CDPRs messy refund situation only made matters worse, they sort of dumped Sony and Microsoft with a mess, and Sony clearly wasn't a fan. I'd imagine Microsoft will pull the game from the Xbox Live marketplace soon as well. I'm happy to be playing on Series X, the game is pretty fantastic, but yeah, damn, what a complete crap show. 

49 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Future add-ons include a rotisserie :lol:

Why is there an air-fryer in a NUC??? Granted it's a great use of airflow and excess heat, but really....why is there an air fryer in a NUC? :blink:

On 12/25/2020 at 1:20 AM, davidwhangchoi said:

played a few hours of cyberpunk,

it's finally getting interesting. 

i didnt know Keanu Reeves is in the game. 

I played around 15 hours of Cyberpunk on my PS4 Pro. Haven’t noticed any bugs after Patch 1.0.5. 

The game is a lot of fun especially after I gained a few levels and after imI got rid of the pea  shooter the game gives you at the beginning.

I’m still underwhelmed by the lack of  depth and options in the gameplay and character development. This is especially jarring after you notice all the fluff, references and easter eggs they put in the game.

It almost seams to me that CDPR hired 10 asset creatives for every programmer and game designer and now the core game is somewhat lacking but it is padded out with all this unnecessary fluff.

Maybe CDPR thought creating assest for the game world would be the most time consuming part of the project while the other systems in the game would be far easier to tackle.

Not saying the game is bad but it could be so much better. Definitely a case of overpromised and underdelivered and overall a letdown.

As I said I’m having a blast playing CP77 but the game is not what was advertised (or at least not what I got from all the demos and coverage). I’m looking forward what more the game has to offer in the next 15 hours. ^_^

11 hours ago, Scyla said:

I played around 15 hours of Cyberpunk on my PS4 Pro. Haven’t noticed any bugs after Patch 1.0.5. 

The game is a lot of fun especially after I gained a few levels and after imI got rid of the pea  shooter the game gives you at the beginning.

I’m still underwhelmed by the lack of  depth and options in the gameplay and character development. This is especially jarring after you notice all the fluff, references and easter eggs they put in the game.

It almost seams to me that CDPR hired 10 asset creatives for every programmer and game designer and now the core game is somewhat lacking but it is padded out with all this unnecessary fluff.

Maybe CDPR thought creating assest for the game world would be the most time consuming part of the project while the other systems in the game would be far easier to tackle.

Not saying the game is bad but it could be so much better. Definitely a case of overpromised and underdelivered and overall a letdown.

As I said I’m having a blast playing CP77 but the game is not what was advertised (or at least not what I got from all the demos and coverage). I’m looking forward what more the game has to offer in the next 15 hours. ^_^

i played some more Cyberpunk this week and it's getting better.

playing on a RTX 2080 Super helps. the story is picking up and getting interesting. The lighting of the enviroment is done well but other than that it feels like a GTA clone. 

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I want it!

that's expensive taste you have there Mike^_^

I finished my first run of Cyberpunk on Series X earlier, Corpo, level 50, got the achievements for all main quests complete, and all gigs and NCPD stuff in every bureau, 83 hours total. All I really had left were street races, which are a pass, and apparently didn't count towards the completion achievement for that area anyway.

Enjoyed it overall, nothing groundbreaking, but it was a fun enough open world rpg, with a solid story, and some very amusing side stories and quests. Without spoiling things, there's definitely multiple endings depending on which and how many side quests you complete, I did a save before the point of no return so I may check the other options out, after the final quest you can load into your game before the final quest and finish up other things, plus you get a unique item depending on your ending.

Spoiler

I got the Aldacado/Panam ending, I may do Johnny's end next. I read about the secret ending, where you storm Arasaka completely solo, and you have to do it in one run out you get the shitty suicide ending. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if I chose the right things to unlock it, I'd definitely be powerful enough, I was a bit too godlike at the end of the game, basically nothing could hurt me anymore, and my main katana did 1900 damage, my revolver 1500.

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

hey guys,

Switch version of Aleste Collection with game gear Micro back in stock on Amazon Japan as of this posting with  global shipping

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B08JBCLFPF/

Thanks, but I'm holding out to see if the rumors of a localized version pan out.

5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Thanks, but I'm holding out to see if the rumors of a localized version pan out.

The rumors posted doesn't give any confidence it will be localized. Japan only M2 releases have english trophies.

Esprade has english trophies and there is no localized version.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07WLPDNM1/

the people who speculated realized there's nothing here after the shmup community pointed out M2's practices of using english trophies.

Unrelated to trophies, it's still a chance Aleste collection may be localized by LRG or someone else if they feel it can be porfitable.  It took 2 years before M2 Ketsui was localized so there's hope.  

On 12/26/2020 at 6:22 PM, Tking22 said:

I finished my first run of Cyberpunk on Series X earlier, Corpo, level 50, got the achievements for all main quests complete, and all gigs and NCPD stuff in every bureau, 83 hours total. All I really had left were street races, which are a pass, and apparently didn't count towards the completion achievement for that area anyway.

Enjoyed it overall, nothing groundbreaking, but it was a fun enough open world rpg, with a solid story, and some very amusing side stories and quests. Without spoiling things, there's definitely multiple endings depending on which and how many side quests you complete, I did a save before the point of no return so I may check the other options out, after the final quest you can load into your game before the final quest and finish up other things, plus you get a unique item depending on your ending.

Hide contents

I got the Aldacado/Panam ending, I may do Johnny's end next. I read about the secret ending, where you storm Arasaka completely solo, and you have to do it in one run out you get the shitty suicide ending. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if I chose the right things to unlock it, I'd definitely be powerful enough, I was a bit too godlike at the end of the game, basically nothing could hurt me anymore, and my main katana did 1900 damage, my revolver 1500.

Well, I've just given Cyberpunk 2077 a thorough 1st playthrough. Overall, it was a great experience.  Very similar to what I experienced in Fallout, but far prettier.  Glitches aside, of which there were many, there is definitely much room for improvement.  One of my gripes lie in the crafting system: it gets expensive to upgrade an outfit you like to progressively keep up with the gear you find.  Equipping clothes with better ratings than my preferred outfit would have my character end up looking like a drugged out (cyber)pimp.  And then there are a few perks/skills that seem just like a waste, like the WHISTLE perk. I gotta use a perk point just to learn how to whistle?  There's another perk that makes you invisible to enemies while underwater.  There was only ONE mission/gig that I remember swimming in, and I didn't even have to.  I think I also have to mention how easy combat can get.  The not so smart enemy AI and the right skill selection made me boost up the difficulty level to get a challenge in skirmishes.  In any case, I reckon Cyberpunk has a bright future ahead.  CDPR did an awesome job with their free DLC with Witcher 3, so I expect the same here.

I love that Arcade 1UP is doing these, but I don't have the money and space for every one their cabinets that I want (I've nearly pulled the trigger on their Turtles cabinet, but I'd also love to have the Marvel Vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat, and now this X-Men/Avengers one).

I know hearing "AtGames" immediately gets noses turning up, but I think I might buy a Legends Ultimate cabinet and put my own ROMS on it.