All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

3 hours ago, dizman said:

Do it! There's even a demo up to try if you want to give the combat a try.

For PC? I know I have a PS4, but I only use it for console exclusives.

Speaking of... I can't wait for my kid to go to bed so I can play Persona.

The demo's free on PS4, though, so get it on there, get a feel for the game and if you like it, then buy it or not on PC. It'd be nice if they ported the demo over to PC, but no way are they going to spend more time than they have to, it seems.

On 4/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, Archer said:

Persona 5 has mad style. Even the menus are gloriousĀ B))

Ā 

13 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Polish levels are high indeed.

I'm really not surprised. Ā Persona 4 was gorgeous, too, and they've had years to put the finishing touches on 5. Ā Also, I'm a huge fan of Shigenori Soejima's stuff. Ā I have the P3 and P4 Official Design Works books. Ā I see that Prima's coming out with a P5 artbook, but I might hold out and see if there'll be another Official Design Works.

Anyway... how you guys coming along? Ā I'm up to early/mid May (just before exams). Ā And I'm not sure how I feel about it... there's a lot that I like, like the revamped dungeon crawling and the gorgeous new 3D enemy models (I'm not just a Persona fan, I've been playing the main series since SMT3, so these demons/Shadows/Personas are as familiar to me as Cactaurs and Behemoths are to Final Fantasy fans), like the character designs... but, and maybe because it's just early, I'm not really feeling as attached to my party as I was the cast of P4. Ā In a lot of ways, P5 reminds me more of P3. Ā That's not exactly a bad thing- P3 was an excellent game. Ā But P4 was really special. Ā P4 was a game I couldn't put down and was a little sad when it ended. Ā P5 has me playing for an hour or so and feeling ready to quit.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Ā 

I'm really not surprised. Ā Persona 4 was gorgeous, too, and they've had years to put the finishing touches on 5. Ā Also, I'm a huge fan of Shigenori Soejima's stuff. Ā I have the P3 and P4 Official Design Works books. Ā I see that Prima's coming out with a P5 artbook, but I might hold out and see if there'll be another Official Design Works.

Anyway... how you guys coming along? Ā I'm up to early/mid May (just before exams). Ā And I'm not sure how I feel about it... there's a lot that I like, like the revamped dungeon crawling and the gorgeous new 3D enemy models (I'm not just a Persona fan, I've been playing the main series since SMT3, so these demons/Shadows/Personas are as familiar to me as Cactaurs and Behemoths are to Final Fantasy fans), like the character designs... but, and maybe because it's just early, I'm not really feeling as attached to my party as I was the cast of P4. Ā In a lot of ways, P5 reminds me more of P3. Ā That's not exactly a bad thing- P3 was an excellent game. Ā But P4 was really special. Ā P4 was a game I couldn't put down and was a little sad when it ended. Ā P5 has me playing for an hour or so and feeling ready to quit.

TBH, I'm not really far at all. Just a few days in since I haven't had time to play.

Maybe you enjoyed the P4 cast so much cause they were all happy-go-lucky, which cannot be said for the somber/professional P3 cast? At least, that's the reason why P4 was so enjoyable for me.

Atlus needs to include a brosuke in every game as far as I'm concernedĀ :p

1 hour ago, Archer said:

TBH, I'm not really far at all. Just a few days in since I haven't had time to play.

Maybe you enjoyed the P4 cast so much cause they were all happy-go-lucky, which cannot be said for the somber/professional P3 cast? At least, that's the reason why P4 was so enjoyable for me.

Atlus needs to include a brosuke in every game as far as I'm concernedĀ :p

That's very possible. Ā I really liked Junpei and Yukari in P3, and Mitsuru and Fuuka kind of grew on me, but I wasn't especially attached to the others.

I think the thing with P4's cast wasn't so much that they were happy-go-lucky, but that they were the kind of people I'd hang out with in real life. Ā Although, I guess I'd say the same about Ryuji. Ā Maybe I just like Yasogami High better?

Ā 

EDIT: Oh, btw, is anyone else checking out that new Transformers game for mobile? Ā I think it's from the same people that make that Marvel game that sh9000 likes. Ā It's an amusing time waster.

Edited by mikeszekely

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

EDIT: Oh, btw, is anyone else checking out that new Transformers game for mobile? Ā I think it's from the same people that make that Marvel game that sh9000 likes. Ā It's an amusing time waster.

Yeah it's also made by Kabam. Ā I've been playing the Marvel game for almost 2 years. Ā I checked the TF game out. Ā It's cool but I'll stick to the Marvel game for now.

Edited by sh9000

On 4/8/2017 at 0:36 PM, mikeszekely said:

That's very possible. Ā I really liked Junpei and Yukari in P3, and Mitsuru and Fuuka kind of grew on me, but I wasn't especially attached to the others.

I think the thing with P4's cast wasn't so much that they were happy-go-lucky, but that they were the kind of people I'd hang out with in real life. Ā Although, I guess I'd say the same about Ryuji. Ā Maybe I just like Yasogami High better?

So I got far enough to beat the first palace since I had the weekend off.Ā 

I think I agree with you. I think the issue for me is thatĀ 

Spoiler

literally everyone hates you cause you're a "criminal" so to speak. This might just be a cultural thing, since what the protag did would be a non-issue in most schools in the United States. Moreover, people treat you like garbage, which kind of ruins the whole "fun and enjoyable" school like element that was so prevalent in Persona 4.Ā 

Also, the color pallet in Persona 4 was much brighter than Persona 5, which maybe adding to Persona 5's dreariness in some senses.

Ultimately, I feel that Persona 5 will end up between 4 and 3 for me. Obviously these are all games that I really enjoyed, so it's high praise regardless. We'll see if my thoughts change as I progress further through the story.Ā 

10 hours ago, Archer said:

So I got far enough to beat the first palace since I had the weekend off.Ā 

I think I agree with you. I think the issue for me is thatĀ 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

literally everyone hates you cause you're a "criminal" so to speak. This might just be a cultural thing, since what the protag did would be a non-issue in most schools in the United States. Moreover, people treat you like garbage, which kind of ruins the whole "fun and enjoyable" school like element that was so prevalent in Persona 4.Ā 

Also, the color pallet in Persona 4 was much brighter than Persona 5, which maybe adding to Persona 5's dreariness in some senses.

Ultimately, I feel that Persona 5 will end up between 4 and 3 for me. Obviously these are all games that I really enjoyed, so it's high praise regardless. We'll see if my thoughts change as I progress further through the story.Ā 

Yep.

And I'm only one more palace in, but so far my opinion is the same. Ā 

As for Battlefront II, the last one left such a bad taste in my mouth. Ā I'll have to wait for reviews.

52 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

As for Battlefront II, the last one left such a bad taste in my mouth. Ā I'll have to wait for reviews.

Definitely with you on that one. And I only played the beta.

27 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

The Battlefront II trailer was sweet but so was the first Battlefront I trailers too :mellow: If EA wants me to buy the game then Battlefront needs to be more like BattlefieldĀ the original Battlefront games Pandemic made before EA assimilated them like the freaking BorgĀ and I don't understand why they don't do that.

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On ā€Ž4ā€Ž/ā€Ž18ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 4:15 PM, TangledThorns said:

LOL, no. The old Battlefront games, especially the second game, played too much like Quake and I mean the first Quake.

That's the entire point though.Ā  For someone who hates everything about modern Battlefield games in general, and loved the original Battlefront games, this is precisely why I was so disappointed in the "new" Battlefront.

They should have just come up with a new name, and not tried to piggyback on the nostalgia for the original Battlefront, when the games are seriously nothing alike.Ā  But no... that would have taken original thinking... :p

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, dizman said:

The new Gundam Versus game is just about 100% confirmed for a US release, it looks great! I got burned out on the last ps3 release but it's been long enough I'mĀ hyped to see what the new MS roster is.Ā 

Ā 

The versus series has changed so much since Feddie vs Zeon, I don't know whether to be excited or not. I played Extreme Versus on the PS3 and didn't really care for it, but I'm playing Extreme Vs Force on the Vita and it's pretty good.

What they really need is another Gundam Battle game. Gundam Battle Universe is my absolute favorite Gundam game.

Fed vs Zeon was such a good game. That space battle music, though, shudder. BaWEEEEEEEEE.... BaWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

When I started playing it emulated on PC, I actually went to the trouble of ripping out the music files and replacing that track with something actually bearable.

No, not at all. The games were designed for arcades, thus simple controls. ZoE, on the other hand, is unique; I've modified other games to control more like it, but nothing came "pre-baked" with ZoE controls. As far as similar-feeling mech games... Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity come to mind. One is the story game, the other is the arcade/survival game. It's more Macross than ZoE, with transforming space plane mecha, but that's another game where I modified the mecha controls to play more like ZoE and the flight controls to be more like Ace Combat. I remember it being fun, even if it didn't strike either of those itches perfectly.

---

From what I remember of the Gundam Vs series (using a Playstation pad):

- Square for main weapon

- Triangle for melee

- X for jump (double-press(+hold)Ā to dive when in the air in later games, I think)

- Circle for... target lock-on?

- Left Stick/D-pad for movement, double-press(+hold) to boost in that direction

- Shoulder buttons were used as button combinations for special commands like manual reload (Ground Gundam/GM's machine gun) or secondary weapon fire (Gundam's head vulcans) until the introduction of assist characters, then one was dedicated to summoning them.

- I think you can enter a sort of boost mode with a specific button combination, but I haven't played a Vs game since the PSP one so I can't confirm.

EDIT:

Oh, also my own thing, I just bought Bayonetta on PC. Finally gonna give that game a shot, can't wait. Now if only Sega/Platinum would port Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns over to PC, too...

Edited by kajnrig

36 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

No, not at all. The games were designed for arcades, thus simple controls. ZoE, on the other hand, is unique; I've modified other games to control more like it, but nothing came "pre-baked" with ZoE controls. As far as similar-feeling mech games... Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity come to mind. One is the story game, the other is the arcade/survival game. It's more Macross than ZoE, with transforming space plane mecha, but that's another game where I modified the mecha controls to play more like ZoE and the flight controls to be more like Ace Combat. I remember it being fun, even if it didn't strike either of those itches perfectly.

---

From what I remember of the Gundam Vs series (using a Playstation pad):

- Square for main weapon

- Triangle for melee

- X for jump (double-press(+hold)Ā to dive when in the air in later games, I think)

- Circle for... target lock-on?

- Left Stick/D-pad for movement, double-press(+hold) to boost in that direction

- Shoulder buttons were used as button combinations for special commands like manual reload (Ground Gundam/GM's machine gun) or secondary weapon fire (Gundam's head vulcans) until the introduction of assist characters, then one was dedicated to summoning them.

- I think you can enter a sort of boost mode with a specific button combination, but I haven't played a Vs game since the PSP one so I can't confirm.

Sounds about right. Ā On the Vita, the L button is for switching to command mode on Force stages, R is a modifier. Ā For example, the the FA ZZ Gundam square fires the beam rifle, triangle attacks with a beam saber, R+square fires the beam saber guns, and R+triangle fires the head forehead cannon. Ā Some stuff also depends on whether you're tapping a button or holding it.

40 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Oh, also my own thing, I just bought Bayonetta on PC. Finally gonna give that game a shot, can't wait. Now if only Sega/Platinum would port Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns over to PC, too...

And Bayonetta 2. Ā Which I don't know if they can actually do, because didn't Nintendo help publish it or something?

10 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

And Bayonetta 2. Ā Which I don't know if they can actually do, because didn't Nintendo help publish it or something?

Yep, Nintendo published it, which means unless they experience a rare bout of generosity, that game will remain locked to Nintendo consoles. Hopefully it'll at least see its way to the Switch. I'm thinking I might finally get one with my tax refund.

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The versus series has changed so much since Feddie vs Zeon, I don't know whether to be excited or not. I played Extreme Versus on the PS3 and didn't really care for it, but I'm playing Extreme Vs Force on the Vita and it's pretty good.

What they really need is another Gundam Battle game. Gundam Battle Universe is my absolute favorite Gundam game.

I'd love a remake of federation vs zeon with a more in depth campaign and more MSV suits, it's still my favorite Gundam game. From what I'm hearing the new GVS will play a lot like Extreme Vs, I never played much of Vs Force so I dunno what they changed back.

Ā 

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Fed vs Zeon was such a good game. That space battle music, though, shudder. BaWEEEEEEEEE.... BaWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEE, baWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

When I started playing it emulated on PC, I actually went to the trouble of ripping out the music files and replacing that track with something actually bearable.

Hah yeah that music killed me everytime, had to scramble for the remote to turn it down!

Oh, nice. I'd been hoping for this. I like the increased horsepower of the new 3DS, but I prefer the ergonomics of the 2DS. Shame there's no regular-sized version, but I'll take what I can get. Argh, now justĀ to get a copy of Xenoblade... And all the 3DS Zeldas... And a Switch... And BotW... And hoo boy, suddenly I have no more money again.

EDIT:

Actually, having actually taken a look at the video, I'm disappointed it isn't the same single-plane device like the original 2DS. I suppose the XL size sort of makes it a bit less cumbersome, but I still would have liked a regular New 2DS without the folding screen.

Edited by kajnrig

• 3 weeks later...

Getting through Bayonetta, and... ho hum. I can see the clear DMC influences (the originals, not DMC: DMC), both in gameplay and design. And it elicits a lot of the same reactions as DMC does, both good and bad. I hate the guns. I never got used to them in DMC, and I still can't get used to them here. They follow the same trend as Ninja Gaiden's default shuriken - rapid-fire, super low-damage projectiles that don't have much practical use. It doesn't help that they're mapped to Square in a two-button melee system. I'm used to Square = Light Melee, Triangle = Heavy/Alternate Melee, Circle = Skill/Etc., X = Jump. Having my main melee button shoot instead takes getting used to, and even eight hours into the game I sometimes end up breaking combo. The Ninja Gaiden games (1 and 2, at least, haven't played 3 and don't ever plan to) at least have the projectile button mapped to Circle.

The lock-on is super annoying, too. On top of having to hold R1 to lock on, the game also consistently just ups and changes your lock-on target. Given how hectic the game is and how visually cluttered it is, I sometimes won't even know I've switched targets before it's too late.

Both of these issues were greatly improved upon in subsequent Platinum games. I'd like to pick up Bayo 2 whenever I can (hopefully for Switch?), because those and some other issues aside, I do like the underlying combat. The timing for dodges and counters, i-frames, etc. is much more strict than in MGR, and I love a game with such meticulous combat systems even if I've never been all that good at these games. And hopefully Platinum implemented some of their improvements in that game, even though I know it was basically just a matter of dusting it off and ironing out a few kinks for the Wii U release.

As it is, I'm still on the fence about doing anything more than just beating the campaign, but we'll see. It's a good time overall.

@kajnrigĀ - Planning to get Bayonetta on Steam next month. Currently going through Neir: Automata, the combat reminds me a lot of Bayonetta but with a more melee focus if that is your thing.

Story is... dear gods what?! levels. That or I've been trapped in MMOs for too long to remember aĀ single player game (or any game) with a deep story.Ā 

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

@kajnrigĀ - Planning to get Bayonetta on Steam next month. Currently going through Neir: Automata, the combat reminds me a lot of Bayonetta but with a more melee focus if that is your thing.

Story is... dear gods what?! levels. That or I've been trapped in MMOs for too long to remember aĀ single player game (or any game) with a deep story.Ā 

Oh, Nier Automata is a great game, no doubt. I talked about it a couple pages back with others as well. I hope you're going for the five (six?) main endings. I'd been lacking a good story-driven game like that, so it was a lot of fun. A bit overdramatic at times, but that's kind of par for the course with Japanese drama, amirite?

The side stories are my favorite part. The one with the two people trying to escape, especially... Oooh...

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Oh, Nier Automata is a great game, no doubt. I talked about it a couple pages back with others as well. I hope you're going for the five (six?) main endings. I'd been lacking a good story-driven game like that, so it was a lot of fun. A bit overdramatic at times, but that's kind of par for the course with Japanese drama, amirite?

The side stories are my favorite part. The one with the two people trying to escape, especially... Oooh...

On playthrough #3 right now, I have endings ABGT I believe. But yeah going for all 26 actually. The biblical references are mind-blowing.

Side question: I haven't found the weapon smith to get mine upgraded to level 4, where is it?

11 minutes ago, Focslain said:

On playthrough #3 right now, I have endings ABGT I believe. But yeah going for all 26 actually. The biblical references are mind-blowing.

Side question: I haven't found the weapon smith to get mine upgraded to level 4, where is it?

In the forest castle. (Going off of memory here, so I may be wrong:) From the transport station, go to the right, then down one floor to the walkway with the large box on it. Just pull it out the way a little bit and you can squeeze into the special weapons smith.