All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Hey, Steam users! There's some kind of event going on right now on Steam. I'm not following it, but the takeaway is free Sega games. Right now there's one bundle available; simply pick one of the games in the bundle (I went with Jet Set Radio). You'll notice that the game still has whatever price it's listed for, but under it it'll say "Packages that include this game" with a button that says "Install games." If you click on that button, you own the games in the bundle. Apparently, if enough people on Steam are either playing Company of Heroes or a Total War game, more bundles will unlock. The current bundle is Jet Set Radio, Hell Yeah! Wraith of the Dead Rabbits, Golden Axe, and Sega Classics, and upcoming bundles will include Streets of Rage II, Binary Domain, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Gunstar Heroes, Viking: Battle for Asgard, and Renegade Ops. Mixed quality, to be sure, but there's at least one game in each bundle that's worth playing, and who can say no to free stuff?

Just curious, any one thinking about a VR headset (Oculus, or some of the other stuff)? The Oculus' recommended specs were posted and I was thinking to myself that maybe it was time to look at one.

I recommend waiting, currently there are tons of games and apps in development, but no Killer app is out right now. VR is awesome and it’s something you have to “experience”, it’s difficult of describing it. Sure you can describe a rollercoaster ride, but riding it is a whole different thing.

There’s a Mech Demo for the Oculus and it definitely shows the potential of this platform. No more need of buying 3 monitors to setup. You can see all around you including behind. That’s why I can’t wait for Valkyrie’s release.

Unless you want to become one of the early adopters/pioneers, I would wait. Currently the Playstation 4 VR has the best line up in terms of game releases.

One of the coolest app currently is the Oculus Cinema. If feels like you're in your own private movie theater.

OMFG.

I don't even know what it is, but I know I desperately need it.

That's f***ing WELTALL* in that vid. Xenogears lives, somehow.

*actually, due to silhouette it almost looks more like Weltall-Id, due to no "backpack" being visible. (Which are really the Id-mode arms and legs). IIRC the top-most points are the Id-mode feet.

Bad news? From what I can glean from the URL and a bit of googling, it's some sort of free-to-play team-arena shooter called Figureheads.

Your "character" is a robot you can customize(a la Armored Core), and apparently Squeenix realized they owned the rights to a rather popular sci-fi robot franchise.

I THINK they're announcing Xenogears skins for a Team-Fortress-em-up. But I DO hope I'm wrong.

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, it's Square-Enix's online shooter getting a collaboration with Xenogears

0LU6XLS.jpg

a 16 year old game :) that square seemed to forget about...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So, I think I'm going to dive into the XCOM universe this coming week. Reviews for both modern games are excellent, so I am looking forward to finally giving this franchise a try. Gonna have to make room in my time schedule, since it's currently dominated by Rocket League and WoW. Any quick suggestions from veterans of the series?

So, I think I'm going to dive into the XCOM universe this coming week. Reviews for both modern games are excellent, so I am looking forward to finally giving this franchise a try. Gonna have to make room in my time schedule, since it's currently dominated by Rocket League and WoW. Any quick suggestions from veterans of the series?

Biggest thing about X-COM (original, EU/EW or X2) is that you shouldn't be afraid of losing, hell part of the reason they had the idea for X2 was because of all the people who lost their first campaign :p . Other than that just know that almost every shot is a dice roll and even a 99% can be a miss, explosives are your friend as they usually don't miss.

If you are starting with Enemy Unknown make sure you get the Enemy Within DLC as that makes it a much better game overall (new enemies, allies and even a new resource). XCOM 2 is also a great starting point if you want to skip EU/EW and already has a fantastic mod base though I'd suggest playing it vanilla first.

I was planning on starting with EU. From what I've read, it may be an easier transition into the game mechanics if I don't get the DLC? Is this just a complaint from a noob player?

I see that the running gag with XCOM games is the exaggerated miss rate, despite high hit percentages. Steam reviews are quite descriptive. Looking forward to grappling with the unforgiving RNG gods.

Played X-Com 2 in Veteran at first... got destroyed. After finishing the campaign in Rookie, I'm faring much better in Veteran mode now. There are a lot more game mechanics and soldier class idiosyncracies to learn this time around, so it might not be a bad idea to swallow your pride and start in Easy mode if you're struggling. Also, the metagame is beyond punishing, it adds so much more tension than the base management of X-Com 1.

I was planning on starting with EU. From what I've read, it may be an easier transition into the game mechanics if I don't get the DLC? Is this just a complaint from a noob player?

I see that the running gag with XCOM games is the exaggerated miss rate, despite high hit percentages. Steam reviews are quite descriptive. Looking forward to grappling with the unforgiving RNG gods.

Hmm I kinda understand that point, there's a lot going on in the game and it can be a bit overwhelming to a first time player. I'd still say get the DLC too because the game has a good tutorial that will walk you through everything. You can always ask around here if you have questions, we even have a XCOM thread buried somewhere in here.

The funny thing about hit percentages is how you remember them. You will always remember the time your high level sniper misses a 99% shot leading to the death of another soldier, the thing you will forget is when that sniper made the 23% shot to save your whole squad :lol: .

Don't know about you guys but I got the new fire emblem and though I haven't been a long time fan I do enjoy what I've played of the series. With that being said Conquest is just so punishing. I may just have to switch over to birthright then back.

Yeah, I've heard Conquest is pretty punishing even for fans of the series. If I get either version it'll be birthright, but to be honest I haven't even played any games in the series. I heard they're good... in the same way Disgaea and FF Tactics are, and those are two series I just couldn't get into. I'm not much for tactics games (although I love Project X Zone).

PXZ Was my intro into the world of Strategy RPG and I loved it too but FE: Awakening is what truly sold me. Unfortunately I jumped the gun with conquest but I did purchase both. Full price for conquest and reduced for birthright so once I get to chapter 6 I'm going to restart on birthright

March's PS Plus free lineup looks great.

PS4: BroForce and Galak-Z

Been wanting to play Galak-Z for awhile but budget was elsewhere

PS3: The Last Guy and Super StarDustHD

Old games but Last Guy was fun and Super StarDust was hectic!

PS Vita: Flame Over and Reality Fighter

Looks interesting.

Gundam Breaker 3 English version coming to Asia in June

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Don't get me wrong, the previous two Gundam Breaker games were pretty easy to play in Japanese, but if I can have it in English, then why the heck not? Besides, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Japanese version, but waiting means I can play Far Cry Primal instead.

Guest davidwhangchoi

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Don't get me wrong, the previous two Gundam Breaker games were pretty easy to play in Japanese, but if I can have it in English, then why the heck not? Besides, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Japanese version, but waiting means I can play Far Cry Primal instead.

i might actually get it since it had subs....

promo pic for Zero Escape Time Dilemma reveal (they've been teasing characters one by one for a couple of weeks, this just came out 5 mins ago)

cB12qMW.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

You've got a NeoGeo? That's hot, and you are the envy of every child in the nineties right now.

nah, just ps1, got it for 8 bucks :p

but thats how nice these sony BVM CRT's make the picture look

Picked up the new Master of Orion on Steam, which also comes with 2 really good games, and one... not so good game. Master of Orion 1-3. I still have my manuals for Master of Orion 1-3.

As for the new Master of Orion, so far, it's living up to the name, at least to me. There's only a few races finished at the moment, and they do plan on adding more soon. I think it's worth the $54.99 Canadian asking price.

I've always liked games like Master of Orion, but always wanted to see it taken a step further. A lot of these games follow the typical 4x policy of explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate. What I want to see less of an emphasis on extermination and exploitation and more on a tactical and political side of things.

For example make alliances and treaties actuallly mean something instead of the usual "give me 'x' amount of whatever and I don't attack for this many turns.". I want to see a game where the player benefits more from working alongside another empire(ala USA and England in the 20th century) rather than going expansionist space Hitler or Napoleon on everyone. Also make other nations react realistically to aggresive expansion and conquest so that if you want to be space Hitler you will end up with pretty much every nation allied and pooling their resources to defend against you.

Another thing I would like is make it personal and by that I mean make the nations ruler an in game character with a lifespan able to create a family and eventual dynasty. Think something similar to Romance of the three kingdoms where you can set your successor or marry off a son or daughter to ensure an alliance with the end result being wether planets rebel or a rival nation eventually ends up merging with yours into a superpower via the grandchildren. This also opens up the possibility of political assassination and its repercussions.

The last thing I would do is simple and make combat an RTS similar to homeworld in that tactics and not always overwhelming numbers play a role in the outcome of a battle which often ends up being the case in a lot of 4X games.

Current Humble Bundle has TIE FIGHTER. MOTHERLOVING TIE FIGHTER. Also X-Wing, X-Wing VS TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance.

And some other games no one cares about. Night of an Old Republican or something. Whatever. The point is TIE FIGHTER.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yes, remote play for PC and Mac is coming. Very soon. ;)

i wonder if we can finally use our dual shock 4 native on pc w/o custom drivers.

i wonder if we can finally use our dual shock 4 native on pc w/o custom drivers.

That'd require a hardware change. Right now, the pads simply don't present as XInput devices(and it's immediately obvious why, when you consider that's a Microsoft-controlled standard).

On the other hand, they DO present as HID gamepads, so they work fine as standard gamepads.

On the third hand, HID gamepad is poorly-supported by modern games for some good reasons(there's no physical reference in the standard, so default button mappings are wild guesses) and bad reasons(MS will GIVE you the code to do XInput, but not a real standard).

In conclusion: I have too many hands, and you're still gonna need a HID->XInput wrapper.