All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Did about an hour of Titanfall-beta gameplay. Attrition-game mode (TDM).

General comments:

-COD with mechs.

-When you get your Titan, help the nearest friendly and do a 2v1 on the opponent. Your opponent will not stand a chance.

-I can see how the Smart-pistol would need to be balanced. Of course the current trade-off is you need to get close. Acts like a normal pistol if you ADS (aim-down-sight).

-In Epilogue, both sides get only 1 life. If your team won and you get killed trying to take down the transport, you will not respawn. Range weapons or Titans will probably be the kit of choice, unless you want to get up close.

The good:

-Plays SMOOTHLY. This beta actually works really well. Had negligible lag, zero dropped frames, unlike that other game which still has me rubberbanding even at 5 months old. Worked right out of the install. I'm still using the Geforce 332.21 drivers from January 7 and no problems. I'm sure there are bugs in there but I haven't run into any yet. I'm doing relatively High-settings and it plays well.

-Mechs. They are pretty fun. But at the same time, don't just call down your Titan as soon as it's ready. All kits have anti-Titan weapons so don't be afraid to help out a friendly Titan from a good spot. I jumped onto a roof and assisted friendly Titans before I actually called down my Titan. Yes, you can crush opponents with a falling Titan. Haven't seen it yet, but it is possible.

-Reasonable spawn points.

The bad:

-It's COD with mechs, so it plays VERY fast.

-6v6. You play as 1 of the 6 pilots. The rest of the team are grunts. Yes, it's hard to distinguish the pilots and the grunts while running and gunning. You can go on massive killstreaks only to find out you only killed 1 or 2 pilots/real players while the rest were NPCs. I found that annoying. The NPCs do actually help out so they aren't useless. Would be nice if they could up it to 8v8 or 12v12, but that would cause too many problems. We're not going to get 64-player servers with the Titans, but I would like to play with more than 12 actual people.

-Matchmaking servers. I really don't like match-making.

-Can't change my kit mid-round. Or I haven't figured it out. There were times that I wanted to go with the carbine over the shotgun but I couldn't change my kit. I need to explore this.

-Maps are small. Tight spaces that cater to infantry are abundant. The wide open spaces are usually areas you want to avoid as they'll have Titans fighting in 2 minutes after the round starts. There are areas you wish you could enter but can't because your Titan will not go through.

-It would be nice to have a destructible environment. Oh well.

So far, I'm impressed by this. It works pretty well for a beta. I'll do a few more rounds later.

Guest davidwhangchoi

General comments:

-I can see how the Smart-pistol would need to be balanced. Of course the current trade-off is you need to get close. Acts like a normal pistol if you ADS (aim-down-sight).

-In Epilogue, both sides get only 1 life. If your team won and you get killed trying to take down the transport, you will not respawn. Range weapons or Titans will probably be the kit of choice, unless you want to get up close.

The good:

-Plays SMOOTHLY. This beta actually works really well. Had negligible lag, zero dropped frames, unlike that other game which still has me rubberbanding even at 5 months old. Worked right out of the install. I'm still using the Geforce 332.21 drivers from January 7 and no problems.

The bad:

So far, I'm impressed by this. It works pretty well for a beta. I'll do a few more rounds later.

sounds like the characteristics of the original modern warfare games: graphic card friendly, stable frame rates. and twitch fast gameplay they made famous. That may be good or bad depending on what you like. personally, i got used to it so it's hard playing halo or battlefield, something with slower gameplay. but i hope the learning curve will be more friendly for new comers....

i like the concept of the Titan kits.

Guest davidwhangchoi

After hearing everyone raving about Brave Default, I broke down and bought both the game and a 3DS XL. I actually got lucky and found the system on sale at Target for $175.

with the exception of COD: Ghosts, i personally use my 3ds the most out of all my gaming systems. You won't regret getting a 3ds

edite: pokemon Diancie

official_diancie_screenshot_4_bmp_jpgcop

source polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/15/5414472/pokemon-x-y-mythical-pokemon-diancie-unveiled

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So after 16 years I finally finished Ocarina of Time. All the attempts before ended at the final boss and I lost interest in the game. This week I pulled myself together. :)

Now onwards to Wind Waker the best Zelda game in the series. This one I finished multiple times. :D

Probably should post this in the Retro Gaming thread. :D

After hearing everyone raving about Brave Default, I broke down and bought both the game and a 3DS XL. I actually got lucky and found the system on sale at Target for $175.

Great start! I'm sure others will have their opinions, but if you're looking for any more must-play 3DS games, I'd highly recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario & Luigi Dream Team. For starters.

with the exception of COD: Ghosts, i personally use my 3ds the most out of all my gaming systems.

I'm kind of the same way. I mean, when I get into a PC or console game, I usually play that more hardcore. Just as an example, I started playing Assassin's Creed 2 on Friday (I'd never played it before because I didn't like the first one, but I bought Black Flag just to have something to play on the PS4, and I loved it so much I went and bought all the old ones, ok?). Between Friday night and now, I've put around 12 hours into it... which is about the same as the amount of time I put into Bravely Default, despite having started it a week earlier.

On the other hand, if I'm not into a console/PC game, then I might go awhile without playing games on those platforms. But, I've been playing games in shorter spurts on my 3DS non-stop for almost a year. It had kind of a shaky start, but I bought more games for it than any other console (PC still wins because of Steam sales), and this year will probably be more of the same.

Now onwards to Wind Waker the best Zelda game in the series.

Wind Waker is probably my favorite of the 3D Zeldas, sure. But best in the series? I wouldn't even put it in the top 5.

FF versus looks hot!!! at least i'm hoping........

I've given up on Final Fantasy. Police cars getting trashed by monsters while a skinny fellow attempts to swing a comically oversized sword... probably with a needlessly complicated battle system and totally incomprehensible plot. I'm just going to stick to Bravely default and pretend that Final Fantasy stopped after IX.

I can't help it I love sailing! :wub:

I guess my beef is just that even the best 3D games don't really have the same open feeling that the top-down ones do. Wind Waker does come the closest, though.

Out of curiosity, have you played Assassin's Creed 4? I certainly enjoyed the sailing in that...

No I haven't but the sailing part is intriguing to me.

The problem is that I have so many games I planned on playing and now they just sit there. I recently tried playing Dishonored after I bought it at release but I couldn't even get past the first room without alerting the guards and I lost interest in it. Maybe I come back to it later.

In general I'm not that much of a gamer anymore. Maybe that is something that comes with age. Don't get me wrong I still love playing a good video game but it takes a really specific experience to get absorbed in. I probably played to much WoW and now I'm scarred for live. I tried the f2p version of ToR but after I realized that I have to pay money to hide the head slot I lost interest quickly. ^_^

On the other hand maybe I should start the game up since I read all the new posts on the message boards I attend to. :D

[edit:] On the other hand I got Dungeon Keeper from GoG for free so I will start this one up instead.

Edited by Scyla

Question on Titanfall because I'm too lazy to look it up myself: Is there character customization? I understand that the you can customize your loadout, but can you make choices/changes on your physical appearance or are you and your mech stuck as identical clones based on faction/kit?

No I haven't but the sailing part is intriguing to me.

Here's the thing, right... your crew will sing shanties while you sail. But what's more, as you visit places like Havana, Kingston, and Nassau, you can find and collect more shanties.

The problem is that I have so many games I planned on playing and now they just sit there. I recently tried playing Dishonored after I bought it at release but I couldn't even get past the first room without alerting the guards and I lost interest in it. Maybe I come back to it later.

Yeah, I have a pretty big back log myself. I have this tendency to see games go on sale for under $5 on Steam and think, "Oh yeah, I might like that." I've got XCOM, Hitman: Absolution, L.A. Noir, Alan Wake, DmC, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, and both Witchers, and I haven't touched any of them.

I'll say this about Assassin's Creed, though. It handles differently than most other action-y games, and it takes a little getting used to. Once you do, though, combat is pretty easy. So yeah, the game encourages you to plan carefully, get into the right spot, and take a guy out without being spotted, but the punishment for failure is usually just a little less money or a guy runs away and you can try again later. Sometimes, it's not even that bad... you just counter-kill a mob until you can walk away. That's not to say that there aren't some frustrating bits (usually "follow so-and-so without being seen, but close enough that you can hear what they're saying" missions), but on the whole I found it to be much better than Dishonored (which I didn't like).

Question on Titanfall because I'm too lazy to look it up myself: Is there character customization? I understand that the you can customize your loadout, but can you make choices/changes on your physical appearance or are you and your mech stuck as identical clones based on faction/kit?

You can change some things about your character and Titan. The beta is limited to class/gender/loadout and model/loadout, respectively. The full game may open up more options. I don't recall seeing any options for colors, emblems, or that sorta thing.

You can change some things about your character and Titan. The beta is limited to class/gender/loadout and model/loadout, respectively. The full game may open up more options. I don't recall seeing any options for colors, emblems, or that sorta thing.

Do you think it's worth buying an xbox one over? there's no way my computer could handle it.

Do you think it's worth buying an xbox one over? there's no way my computer could handle it.

Maybe. If you've played COD on the Xbox, then this is COD with mechs.

As for your computer, these are the minimum specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

RAM: 4GB, 512MB VRAM

Graphics card: Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT

How old is your computer? And since it is due out for the Xbox 360, one could probably run it on low settings on PC and get away with it.

Maybe. If you've played COD on the Xbox, then this is COD with mechs.

As for your computer, these are the minimum specs:

How old is your computer? And since it is due out for the Xbox 360, one could probably run it on low settings on PC and get away with it.

My current laptop isn't that old, it's got a core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, and a GeForce GT650M 2GB onboard. It's more that I'm pretty sure the thing would melt into a puddle and/or burst into flames.

I've got CoD ghosts for 360 though so I can get that for the XB1 for cheap.

Edited by anime52k8

Please don't suck, please don't suck...

Did anyone else see the gameplay footage of X for the Wii U? (X footage at around the 35:00 mark)

Combat is defnitely Xenoblade-ish.

Xenoblade was hands down one of the best games I've played in 10 years, top 10 easy, I will have no regrets buying a Wii U for a sequel assuming its even half as good plus some other cool Wii U games, wonderful 101, Mario world, Donkey Kong, pikmin, smash bros, mario kart etc.

I've given up on Final Fantasy. Police cars getting trashed by monsters while a skinny fellow attempts to swing a comically oversized sword... probably with a needlessly complicated battle system and totally incomprehensible plot. I'm just going to stick to Bravely default and pretend that Final Fantasy stopped after IX.

To me, FF now looks like a weird adaption of Kingdom Hearts without the Disney fluff. It just looked like an action movie relegated to one cityscape. I keep hoping that this is a phase and someday when the management changes, we'll get people that will bring the franchise back more to its roots in terms of setting and storytelling which brought me into the series in the first place.

My current laptop isn't that old, it's got a core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, and a GeForce GT650M 2GB onboard. It's more that I'm pretty sure the thing would melt into a puddle burst into flames.

I've got CoD ghosts for 360 though so I can get that for the XB1 for cheap.

I can test on my testing box but I suspect it would be fine.

If anyone else has any Titanfall questions while the beta is still active, let me know.

Played the Beta on the X1

General comments:
-COD with mechs.
-When you get your Titan, help the nearest friendly and do a 2v1 on the opponent. Your opponent will not stand a chance.

The good:
-Plays SMOOTHLY. This beta actually works really well. Had negligible lag, zero dropped frames, unlike that other game which still has me rubberbanding even at 5 months old. Worked right out of the install. I'm still using the Geforce 332.21 drivers from January 7 and no problems. I'm sure there are bugs in there but I haven't run into any yet. I'm doing relatively High-settings and it plays well.
-Mechs. They are pretty fun. But at the same time, don't just call down your Titan as soon as it's ready. All kits have anti-Titan weapons so don't be afraid to help out a friendly Titan from a good spot. I jumped onto a roof and assisted friendly Titans before I actually called down my Titan. Yes, you can crush opponents with a falling Titan. Haven't seen it yet, but it is possible.
-Reasonable spawn points.

I've found that dropping in as a titan is sometimes a better opiton.

And using the seeker missile launcher point blank while Rodeoing a titan will kill you.

The bad:
-6v6. You play as 1 of the 6 pilots. The rest of the team are grunts. Yes, it's hard to distinguish the pilots and the grunts while running and gunning. You can go on massive killstreaks only to find out you only killed 1 or 2 pilots/real players while the rest were NPCs. I found that annoying. The NPCs do actually help out so they aren't useless. Would be nice if they could up it to 8v8 or 12v12, but that would cause too many problems. We're not going to get 64-player servers with the Titans, but I would like to play with more than 12 actual people.
-Matchmaking servers. I really don't like match-making.
-Can't change my kit mid-round. Or I haven't figured it out. There were times that I wanted to go with the carbine over the shotgun but I couldn't change my kit. I need to explore this.
-Maps are small. Tight spaces that cater to infantry are abundant. The wide open spaces are usually areas you want to avoid as they'll have Titans fighting in 2 minutes after the round starts. There are areas you wish you could enter but can't because your Titan will not go through.
-It would be nice to have a destructible environment. Oh well.

I think having the grunts there helps to keep the game moving. Versus walking around looking for someone and then shot by person you didn't see. Maybe in the future they'll have someing close to a 16 vs.16.

I change my kit by hitting the menu (start) button.

I'm good on destrucible enviroments. Because then people would just use the Titans to destroy all the buildings making one big open field. But I do wish signs could be destroyed. Especially when the only thing keeping you from running between buildings is literaly a chest high sign.

I've found that dropping in as a titan is sometimes a better opiton.

That's if you get killed/respawn. I ran into more than a few instances where I was still alive and had my Titan ready for combat but I didn't call it down yet.

And using the seeker missile launcher point blank while Rodeoing a titan will kill you.

Point-blank range with a rocket launcher..... :rolleyes:

I think having the grunts there helps to keep the game moving. Versus walking around looking for someone and then shot by person you didn't see. Maybe in the future they'll have someing close to a 16 vs.16.

I ran into a few instances where the grunts just stood there. I played a round where the other team was evac-ing and a grunt just stood there for a while until I killed it.

I change my kit by hitting the menu (start) button.

I figured out how to change my loadouts in-round on my second play-through. But since the round moves fairly quickly, I found it easier to just pick my loadout and run with it all round.

But I do wish signs could be destroyed. Especially when the only thing keeping you from running between buildings is literaly a chest high sign.

Yeah, I find the placement of ledges, signs and such very annoying when I'm trying to scale a building. And yes, bounce off opposing walls to scale a building if you can. Going straight up doesn't work as well. Especially, if you're like me and find yourself in a tight alley and need an exit.

And I did see a few instances where a Titan dropped right on a heavily damaged Titan and killed it. There are a few instances where you see people dropping a Titan on other Titans, other players, etc. It's funny.

Good luck Mr. Levine. :(

http://www.maximumpc.com/ken_levine_disbands_irrational_games_studio_behind_bioshock_2014

Turn out the lights, the party's over

Talk about a (Bio)shock to the system -- Irrational Games, the studio responsible for the BioShock series, is officially closing up shop after close to two decades of game development. Co-founder Ken Levine delivered the sad news to the gaming community in a blog post today, saying he's at a point where he needs to refocus his energy on a smaller team with a more direct relationship with gamers.

Irrational Games' parent company 2K Games, which is a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive, is disbanding the team, save for around 15 people. The original team's last effort will be a DLC pack for BioShock Infinite that's about to be rolled out. Beyond that, the future of the BioShock series will be in the hands of 2K Games.

"I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team," Levine said today. "There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition."

Levine said he originally planned on going the "classical startup" route. However, Take-Two said it was willing to fund his venture and convinced him to stay within its walls.

"If we're lucky, we'll build something half as memorable as BioShock," Levine said.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I played the beta yesterday on my friends x1 and its pretty cool. I did better not getting in my titan and letting it just roam. I still got to get used to it. It's really easy to be cheap and camp on a roof and pick off guys. My friend says it feels more like unreal tournament. (I never play UT)