The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

That's for Megs and shipping combined? If so, that's the best deal I've heard of. I ponied up $225 for him (my rationale was overwhelmed by squeee), and hindsight being clearer, I wish I'd waited for the inevitable reviews in case there were issues, which there are.<_< Anyway, good job finding a great deal!

Edited by M'Kyuun

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

That's for Megs and shipping combined? If so, that's the best deal I've heard of. I ponied up $225 for him (my rationale was overwhelmed by squeee), and hindsight being clearer, I wish I'd waited for the inevitable reviews in case there were issues, which there are.<_< Anyway, good job finding a great deal!

yes, Meg is $139 + $24 S&H = $163

Can someone who has MP36 in hand tell me what those marks are:

mp36.jpg.e7951b57fa5c2a777b0aa5bc1786c41f.jpg

They look like gate marks to me but someone over at the TFW boards said that MP36 doesn't habe visible gate marks like Ultra Magnus. So I'm curious what they are. They also seem to be present on every copy of the toy.

Of course I might have not understood the context of that comment so I might be wrong.

7 hours ago, Scyla said:

They look like gate marks to me but someone over at the TFW boards said that MP36 doesn't habe visible gate marks like Ultra Magnus. So I'm curious what they are. They also seem to be present on every copy of the toy.

Of course I might have not understood the context of that comment so I might be wrong.

Not to worry, those are just pins. 

Anyways, I finally had time to transform MP megs 2.0 and it took me about 2.5 hours with a video manual. The journey was worth it to see the engineering in the figure. And the transformation is something made of wizards and sorcery. On the downside, there is too much paint on this toy and some of my hinges were a little stuck and required some mild massaging to loosen it up. If it wasn't for some overly tight pins and hinges the transformation would be pretty fun. Furthermore, his paint will chip off in some areas and it's almost unavoidable. I put some masking tape on some areas that were going to be visible in robot mode, so hopefully those parts are fine. Takara should have did what they did with Shockwave and only paint what they could not mold in the proper plastic color. 

DSCN0939.JPG

8 hours ago, Scyla said:

They're pinholes.

mp36-pinholes.jpg.9264ccadbcbcd10b9597d7a82153d63c.jpg

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

damn...good deal there. HLJ with EMS shipping to TX came to $199.00. 

Yeah- wish I'd waited and looked around before ordering. I had a fear this was going to be like the Bandai valks, and jumped on the cheapest one I could find within the first day or two of POs.

According to USPS, mine should be here on Thursday. Looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Not to worry, those are just pins. 

Anyways, I finally had time to transform MP megs 2.0 and it took me about 2.5 hours with a video manual. The journey was worth it to see the engineering in the figure. And the transformation is something made of wizards and sorcery. On the downside, there is too much paint on this toy and some of my hinges were a little stuck and required some mild massaging to loosen it up. If it wasn't for some overly tight pins and hinges the transformation would be pretty fun. Furthermore, his paint will chip off in some areas and it's almost unavoidable. I put some masking tape on some areas that were going to be visible in robot mode, so hopefully those parts are fine. Takara should have did what they did with Shockwave and only paint what they could not mold in the proper plastic color. 

*snip*

5 hours ago, treatment said:

They're pinholes.

*snip*

Thanks for the reply. They still stand out now but somehow I think it won't look that jarring once I have him in hand and knowing that they are not gate marks. From the pictures they really look like someone painted a die-cast piece with the funnels still attached an removed the afterwards. :)

What is really magical in the transformation is that almost nothing of the robot mode is indicative of Megatrons alt-mode.  I love how the trigger guard becomes the front of the shin, how the shoulders become rectangular blocks from gun parts or the inside of the guns handle fold up to Megatron looking feet. The only gun part from the front is the barrel.

On the other hand this might also be the greatest downfall of the transformation since I like to see what my Transformers are made of. The iconic chest windows and smoke stacks on Prime or the canopy and wings on Starscream. For me the center section of the gun is Megatrons chest and the head sits on top of the rounded barrel piece in the middle.

Since MP Shockwave was brought up I wished that Takara gave him the same paint treatment as Megatron. Especially since Shockwaves transformation is much much simpler and you don't have many parts scraping against each other because there is not as much separation in the alt-mode going on. 

I probably won't transform Megatron once I have him in hand. Too scary. Especially since Despotron is such a joy to transform. I probably will give him a special place in my collection together with the upcoming MP-40 Convoy Anime Version. :p

There have been rumors that a new Prime is in the works to match with this Megatron which seems a tad odd since MP-10 was reissued to go with the release of Megatron. However considering the re-released MP-1 shortly before MP-10 this is not unheard of.

If Takara does an new Convoy mold I would love to have double jointed elbows and knees as well as a flatter truck bed that covers the Crotch of Prime as well a way to hide the feet better. I don't know why hiding the feet is such an issue on Prime. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

So I'm curious, for those among you collecting Generations figures, are you finding them in brick and mortar stores? I just did a sweep of four different big box stores and none of them had any warrior class figs; one had a few legion class, and one or two had a slew of the little Titan Masters, and a couple had a Voyager fig or three.  I remember a time when the pegs were generally full of TFs, but nowadays, they seem pretty scarce, esp warrior class, which are all but absent in just about every store I go into in my area. There are still a bunch of Wave 3 warrior class figs at my local Walmart, but they got their shipment in after Christmas, after the nice $10 sale was over. Now they're shelf-warming, and no new stock will be ordered until they sell the current stock, which are back to their $15 price point. I don't know if this is an issue on Hasbro's part (distribution), or the stores', but it's becoming nigh impossible to collect these things when nobody is carrying them- the pegs are there, they're marked, but nothing's hanging on them. There's a certain satisfaction in finding a desired toy, bringing it home and tearing into it- immediate gratification, I suppose. I used to enjoy toy hunting, but for the last few years, it has become an exercise in futility and disappointment. Anyway, I just got home, and my frustration is still fresh. Needed to vent where my frustration is likely shared.

Just got my copy, and it survived a full transformation to pistol and back without anything breaking. My copy has a number of folding panels that are very tight toleranced, and feel like they're going to break. The plastic hinge that pins to the base of the barrel was extremely tight; the base is die-cast and the double hinge to which it's pinned is plastic, and in the course of rotating it into pistol position, the little nubs intended for ratcheting suffered a bit of extensive wear after just one transformation. One other nitpick on mine is that the neutral face sits off center in the helmet, and I 'm not sure why. I removed and reinstalled it to see if it had been put in crooked at the factory, but no, there's an obvious offset. I'll have to try the other faces to see if there's possibly a deformation in the helmet. It's not the end of the world, but still- crappy. 

There's definitely an order to transformation, or things can get in the way prohibitively. I broke out the instructions going to pistol, as some things that looked like they needed to move, or that I knew needed to move from having watched vids, were very reluctant, and I wanted some assurance. I eschewed instructions going back to robot, and after one transformation, the overall transformation system can be figured out fairly well. It's not the most complex TF out there, but there are a few intricacies, mostly in the upper torso and upper arms. The legs are engineering gold, although the mechanism for narrowing them is tight on mine making it more difficult than I'd like. This would have been a good place for a spring-loaded mechanism, IMHO, as manipulating those leg panels to go back to robot position had me feeling very apprehensive.

As an action figure, he's awesome; my hat's off to Takara for endowing such a complex transforming figure with an extraordinary range of articulation throughout. I'm pleased with that particular direction in the MP line, as I've always felt that the robot should be the primary focus and then the alt mode; after all, they're robots in disguise. Granted, the alt should still be done well, and thus far I think they're doing a good job with that balance. To that end, Megatron succeeds; his alt isn't as seamless as most of the previous figures, but he resembles a Walther P 38 well enough to get the job done. Lets face it, though, nobody's displaying Megatron in gun mode; Takara know it, and poured most of their efforts into making a really solid action figure. I'm pretty pleased with him, and encourage folks to at least transform theirs once; it's a satisfying journey once you know what goes where, however toleranced it may be. I pulled a few gangsta poses with mine, and then went back to bot mode. Given the ingenuity involved and the overall look and feel of this figure, I think MP Megs 2.0 was worth the wait. Happy to add him to the collection.

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

So I'm curious, for those among you collecting Generations figures, are you finding them in brick and mortar stores? I just did a sweep of four different big box stores and none of them had any warrior class figs; one had a few legion class, and one or two had a slew of the little Titan Masters, and a couple had a Voyager fig or three. 

When I get one, yes. My area has long been a Transformer desert.

I DID pick up a DoublecrossTwinferno the other day, though.  I was shocked they had robots on the pegs, much less ones I hadn't seen and already bought or ignored. 

Sadly, he doesn't spit sparks like the original(to the surprise of no one). But truthfully, I'm still surprised to see oddball characters like him GETTING a modern version.  Also, I think I saw no fewer than three different places where someone had molded in a place to peg a stand, which was quite surprising. Their engineers are sneaky bastages these days.

Edited by JB0

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

So I'm curious, for those among you collecting Generations figures, are you finding them in brick and mortar stores? I just did a sweep of four different big box stores and none of them had any warrior class figs; one had a few legion class, and one or two had a slew of the little Titan Masters, and a couple had a Voyager fig or three.  I remember a time when the pegs were generally full of TFs, but nowadays, they seem pretty scarce, esp warrior class, which are all but absent in just about every store I go into in my area. There are still a bunch of Wave 3 warrior class figs at my local Walmart, but they got their shipment in after Christmas, after the nice $10 sale was over. Now they're shelf-warming, and no new stock will be ordered until they sell the current stock, which are back to their $15 price point. I don't know if this is an issue on Hasbro's part (distribution), or the stores', but it's becoming nigh impossible to collect these things when nobody is carrying them- the pegs are there, they're marked, but nothing's hanging on them. There's a certain satisfaction in finding a desired toy, bringing it home and tearing into it- immediate gratification, I suppose. I used to enjoy toy hunting, but for the last few years, it has become an exercise in futility and disappointment. Anyway, I just got home, and my frustration is still fresh. Needed to vent where my frustration is likely shared.

After months of seeing nothing but Leader-class Combiner Wars Skywarps, either no Voyagers at all or nothing but Galvatron and Astrotrain, and no Deluxes beyond the second wave I just quit looking.

15 hours ago, JB0 said:

Now if only someone would post pics of him next to a real P08. I saw it done with the old MP Meg.

P38, not P08. And I would but I don't actually wanna buy any version of MP megs. :p

Edited by anime52k8

14 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

P38, not P08. And I would but I don't actually wanna buy any version of MP megs. :p

Bother. 

Honestly, that was my first thought, and then I was "wait, no, that's a fighter plane" and corrected to the wrong number. Pro, right?

The 3P Megatrons nailed the upper-half of the body, but the legs look off.

MP-36 is the opposite. The top is off -- his chest is way too thick -- but his legs are spot-on.

IMO, Mightron looks the most balanced from the front, but he has back-kibble.

Is it possible to transform the legs of MP Megatron first without doing any transformation on the upper body?

All the reviews I've seen so far transform the upper body first without tucking the arm assemblies in and then transform the legs.

17 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Is it possible to transform the legs of MP Megatron first without doing any transformation on the upper body?

All the reviews I've seen so far transform the upper body first without tucking the arm assemblies in and then transform the legs.

Of course, you can.

That's what I did.

Iirc, only need to flip the diaper flaps.  They're separate form the upper body, anyway.

Edited by treatment

Received my copy of MP Megatron from HLJ and I have to say Takara nailed it!!  I haven't transformed him yet,  but the bot mode is easily the best version of the character to date.  I also have Appolyon and  there is no comparison between the two.  The only thing Appolyon offers over MP-38 is the silver finish, though the gull grey is growing on me.  Appolyon was a great Placeholder in my collection until Takara revisited their take on the character.    The articulation on the figure is impressive.  Takara continues with the trend of increased articulation and I love it.   MP-38 makes the articulation of  MP-10 look dated!  This figure is a must own for any fan of the MP line.

Hello Derek, mine had the orange plugs.  The cap in Megatron was very loose, it just falls out so no tools needed.  The plug in the silencer is another story.  I have a parts separator for model kits that I used to remove it.  I did scratch it a little as I tried to use a pair of plyers first.  The Part separator worked really well.

Hey guys. I just preordered a LG45 Hot Rodimus. I don't know how big it is since there was none in the item description. Any idea how big it is? I don't have a Legends line and I really don't collect TF toys except for selected Hot Rodimus. I have a MP-28 to compare. Thanks!

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

He's standard deluxe class. I have the Hasbro version, so this should give a sense of scale.

Thanks M'Kyuun! That helped a lot. ;) 

That's still a good size for me then. So the upcoming Legends (LG45) is somehow near the Deluxe Class size, correct?

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks M'Kyuun! That helped a lot. ;) 

That's still a good size for me then. So the upcoming Legends (LG45) is somehow near the Deluxe Class size, correct?

Takara's Legends series are Hasbro toys molded with different colors and with more paint. The upcoming Legends Hot Rodimus is Hasbro's Deluxe-class Titans Return Hot Rod.

And Takara's version has a different hood/chest piece with the engine detail replaced by a smooth orange area, and it also appears to eschew the folding nose, which reveals his abs on the Hasbro version. Takara left it out to make their version look more G1, or it appears that way to me, as I can detect no break lines to indicate that the feature is still there. otherwise, yeah, they're pretty much the same toy with color differences.

34 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Takara's Legends series are Hasbro toys molded with different colors and with more paint. The upcoming Legends Hot Rodimus is Hasbro's Deluxe-class Titans Return Hot Rod.

Oh. My bad. Sorry guys. Really not familiar with TF toys. :sorry: But good to know that they're one and the same. So yeah, good size for me. ;)

2 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

And Takara's version has a different hood/chest piece with the engine detail replaced by a smooth orange area, and it also appears to eschew the folding nose, which reveals his abs on the Hasbro version. Takara left it out to make their version look more G1, or it appears that way to me, as I can detect no break lines to indicate that the feature is still there. otherwise, yeah, they're pretty much the same toy with color differences.

Cool. Thanks again. ;)