The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I may be in the minority here, but I can't wait for the new Megs! I could NOT care less about transformation or gun mode..I'll prob do it once just so I can say I did it, but for me this guy is ALL about robot mode to put beside Soundwave, Starscream, Thundercraker and Skywarp!! 

Edited by derex3592

The gun/alt mode just looks so broken up and full of panel lines, it's way more noticeable then any of the third party options. Bot is clean though, but I still dislike the proportions and paint. I think he'll look incredibly odd next to the other MP cons just like the other newer animation/toon accurate MPs do, especially with that wonky, intentional, toon accurate squashed Con symbol. None of the other MP Cons have a symbol like that, plus overall, his toon aesthetic just won't mesh with the more detailed Soundwave, I'm sure he'll look fine next to the ugly official Shockwave though. This light aesthetic reboot is so odd, so much of the line just doesn't blend with it in my opinion, I just don't get why they suddenly started do things this way.

poop, oh well, at least they didn't say they were going to glue it down...yet.

Hello-

This is Mark Kutsugi at HobbyLink Japan. Thank you very much for your order with us for Takara-Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron. We anticipate starting to fill orders for this item on or about April 3 Japan time.

This toy will be packaged in robot mode. However, it can be transformed into a realistic-looking likeness of a gun, which we understand is also pictured on this item's packaging. As a result, for customers in the United States and Australia, HobbyLink Japan will be placing a plastic orange plug into the end of the barrel in order to keep this toy in compliance with Title 15, Chapter 76 of the United States Code.

Installing this plug on the item will require our staff to open the packaging, which will require cutting the tape holding the box flap closed. This will be performed with the utmost care, but of course it will prevent us from delivering this product to U.S. and Australian customers in "unopened" condition. Note that without this modification, your purchase could be confiscated by your country's customs service, and U.S. customers could be charged with a crime under the above U.S. Federal law.

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of toy collectors in the U.S. and Australia related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with your country's laws, we recommend that you do not remove the plastic plug after you have received the item.

We appreciate your understanding, and your business with us.

Best Regards,

Mark Kutsugi
HobbyLink Japan

Oddly, a removable plug is not legally compliant, but their statement certainly seems to imply it is removable. "... we recommend that you do not remove the plastic plug after you have received the item" sure sounds like it is not "permanently affixed" as required by US law.

In short, the plug is just enough effort to keep customs off everyone's back without actually ruining the toy.

(And of course, even permanently affixed, a plug will not satisfy several state toy gun laws. But as long as it makes it through customs, who cares? We aren't gonna run around flashin' our Megatrons at the cops, right? We aren't total idiots here.)

Edited by JB0

I hope nobody misuses their Megs in the commission of a crime, as it would definitely draw unwanted attention and gun laws would only become more stringent concerning replicas and toys. I suppose the one positive aspect of all those panels is that he doesn't look like a real gun up close, but from distance, it would be much harder to tell. This reminds me , when I was in high school, the drama club were using G1 Megatron as a prop gun in a play. I was giving someone a ride, but somehow Megs ended up in my greedy hands and I got to transform him quickly. That was my first and last experience handling G1 Megs.

I'm totally down with an easily removable plug if it satisfies Customs, as well as the necessity of retailers opening the package to install them. It sucks, but it is what it is. I want my G1 inspired Megatron figures, and I consider a removable plug to be the best option and still remain mostly within the law.:p

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I hope nobody misuses their Megs in the commission of a crime, as it would definitely draw unwanted attention and gun laws would only become more stringent concerning replicas and toys. I suppose the one positive aspect of all those panels is that he doesn't look like a real gun up close, but from distance, it would be much harder to tell.

Panels nothin'.  He's oversized and crazily-proportioned. Even without all the seams he looks pretty fake.  The old MP Megatron made a better gun, and he was fake-looking too.

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone actually trying to use Megatron as a stand-in. It is a REALLY EXPENSIVE way to get a toy gun that has a non-zero risk of becoming a shape other than gun, which makes him down there with "banana" for viable firearm stand-ins during a robbery. But mostly, if you can afford him, you are not desperate enough to hold up a liquor store.

17 hours ago, JB0 said:

Oddly, a removable plug is not legally compliant, but their statement certainly seems to imply it is removable. "... we recommend that you do not remove the plastic plug after you have received the item" sure sounds like it is not "permanently affixed" as required by US law.

In short, the plug is just enough effort to keep customs off everyone's back without actually ruining the toy.

(And of course, even permanently affixed, a plug will not satisfy several state toy gun laws. But as long as it makes it through customs, who cares? We aren't gonna run around flashin' our Megatrons at the cops, right? We aren't total idiots here.)

Glad I live in Texas, to bad my stuff comes through customs in Chicago most of the time....well, here's hoping they let it slide

This orange plug discussion bubbles up whenever a G1 style Megatron is released. As always, your mileage will vary. It is interesting that a Japanese company is speaking up about it, though. I would expect to see that message from a domestic seller like BBTS before HLJ.

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

This orange plug discussion bubbles up whenever a G1 style Megatron is released. As always, your mileage will vary. It is interesting that a Japanese company is speaking up about it, though. I would expect to see that message from a domestic seller like BBTS before HLJ.

I suspect they had one shipment too many intercepted by customs the last Megatron release. They don't want the material costs or customer service headache associated with it, and my impression is that customs knows what Megatron is(duh) and generally figures out pretty fast when a new Megatron toy comes out. So the odds of slipping past customs have gone way down from the first MP Megatron.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

I suspect they had one shipment too many intercepted by customs the last Megatron release. They don't want the material costs or customer service headache associated with it, and my impression is that customs knows what Megatron is(duh) and generally figures out pretty fast when a new Megatron toy comes out. So the odds of slipping past customs have gone way down from the first MP Megatron.

I agree that HLJ is being extra careful in reminding US customers about US law. And it could be that Takara's release will be handled differently since more stores are carrying this version Megs--more out in the wild might give this more visibility. With the third-party releases, though, the orange plug wasn't a big deal and it's been nice to display Megs without a loud non-canon accessory. :p

Edit: AE just sent word that MP-36 arrived, so I guess I'll get to see how picky customs is first hand. Megs is shipping with a few other items from them.

Edited by technoblue

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takara-tomy-seminal-designer-hideaki-yoke-retires/37663/

Best wishes and utmost respect to a talented gentleman who greatly impacted my life, and the lives of millions, with his work and art. Happy retirement, Yoke-san!

Paik4Life did an excessive video review on MP-36 Megatron. To sum my thoughts up: lots of paint scraps, lots of clearance issues, lots of QC issues, lots of potential breaking points.

I hope Takaras factories are up to speed for this design because this looks like it has the potential to be a worse nightmare than MP-9 Rodimus Convoy ^_^

Lots of reports of paint chipping and scratching on MP-36, very unfortunate, but expected due to the insane transformation. Apparently putting the suppressor on all the way is a guaranteed way to damage the paint on the barrel, also it seems his head is getting some nasty scratches and scrapes due to transformation. I'm not getting all the praise for the transformation I'm seeing on TFW2005, people are clamoring like it's the second coming of Transformers or something. His transformation doesn't look any easier then any of the current 3P options, the transformation was always going to be a mess, his bot and alt are just too far off to do it clean and easy. A bit baffled I haven't received anything from HLJ yet, I guess they are really taking their time with the orange plugs.

Takara did a good job of scaling his scope/fusion cannon to the bot mode. It's kinda jarring to see all the third parties having more red on the arms and legs than the official, not to mention their shininess compared to nearly-matte Megatron. Seeing the four of them together, I still think Apollyon comes closest to what I want in a MP Megs, leg kibble notwithstanding. XTransbots did a good job with proportionality, overall colors, and keeping the G1 transformation while delivering a pretty clean bot overall. I'm looking forward to MP-36, but I'm glad I also have Apollyon in my collection.

Shame to hear about all the paint chipping, esp at the price point- unacceptable. Guess I'll never be putting his accessories on his gun mode.<_<:angry: I hope his scope doesn't scratch his arm up over time. Perhaps they should have just molded him in color.

I PO'd thru Captured Prey, and have yet to hear anything at all from them, so I don't know if they're installing plugs, or even if they're starting to ship orders. I'm hoping to hear something from them soon, as this thing's a bit of an investment.

I contacted Captured Prey, and they also verified no plug.

Watched Chosen Prime's vid.  Doesn't look like a fun transformation, although those legs are brilliantly done. I know most prob won't transform theirs more than once, but I probably will, so the idea of scuffing and chipping while transforming him is disheartening.