The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

That image gives me hope! I was so disappointed with my copy of Backdraft because it did not live up to MMC's usual quality. The fit was sloppy and the two legs did not sit straight and level in alt mode. It was a very obvious fitment flaw from the rear. Looking at the image of Inferno above, I really like how everything lines up nice and tight. Even if I doubt I'll ever have Inferno driving off into the sunset, its nice to see that Takara got the fit right.

As for the details, I figure reprolables will have a sticker sheet for the missing toy bits and bobs. I'm not worried about that.

The Japanese prices for MP-36 are more in line with what I expected. I might give in and pre-order Megs 2.0 at that price. I'll have to think about it some more.

I've already PO'd mine, but, sheesh, not even an attempt to put some tail lights on him. <_< While I appreciate the extras, quite honestly, I wish they'd concentrate more on raising the quality of the core toy. This guy is so plain he could be Amish- at least a little detail would have been nice to break up the unbroken sea of red.

You guys complaining about the lack of detail on MP Inferno's alt-mode back side are really touching on my main complaint with the MP-line in general (bot modes included) since Ironhide or so. They try so hard to look like the Sunbow models that they're lacking in detail, while MP-10 and the MP cars are more like what I felt the characters looked like before they were simplified for animation.

You guys complaining about the lack of detail on MP Inferno's alt-mode back side are really touching on my main complaint with the MP-line in general (bot modes included) since Ironhide or so. They try so hard to look like the Sunbow models that they're lacking in detail, while MP-10 and the MP cars are more like what I felt the characters looked like before they were simplified for animation.

I was reading the forums over on TFW2005, where a number of folks are basically considering the MP timeline as Hasui and post-Hasui, the Hasui stuff considered by many to be better due to a better mix of toon and toy detail. While both camps have their supporters and detractors, my own preference is for the Hasui stuff. I'm glad he was the one who designed the Fairlady mold, as I shutter to think how bland he may have turned out under the current designer(s).

While I believe that the build quality will be good with Inferno, this figure, even more than Ironhide, just seems bland due to all the smooth monochromatic surfaces. Contrarily, when I look at some of the 3P figs, they treat the eye with detail throughout, not to mention the use of die-cast and rubber tires, which still speak to me as hallmarks of a higher grade toy. I want to support TT, because I do like a lot of their official products, but the current design trend seems a step backwards on what should be their premium line, esp when the Generations and RiD toys are getting more detail than Inferno (both modes) and Ironhide(in his bot mode). Megatron is continuing the trend with dull grey coloring rather than the traditional silver, along with the omission of red inner arms and legs, which have become iconic coloration for the character. It seems a misstep to me when 3P entities are producing more faithful representations than the parent company, and yet sales must be good, b/c the trend continues in light of all the competition. I suppose, to that end, I'm part of the problem, as I like official stuff and ultimately support them even though I disagree with some of their design choices.

I'm curious if this move is what the Japanese fandom wants, if it's a money saving effort, or just personal preferences by the TT designers themselves?

Yeah, Inferno's rear end does look bad. Is it a deal-breaker? Nah. For one, I'm rarely gonna display its back end in alt mode, and the folding ladder gimmick makes up for it IMO. Frankly, I was put off by Backdraft's shortcomings. If X-Transbots' Inferno (was it Dante?) has a similar outcome, I'll be alright with the official version.

I'm in a small minority as I didn't have many TF toys growing up so I base a lot of my purchases on cartoon accuracy. To be fair I practically base all my toy purchases on screen accuracy since it's what I have the most connection to. I will admit the early part of MP 2.0 line was cooler and awesome with details I'm just as happy with toon accurate toons and to me the differences don't distract me when I look at my shelves of MPs

Edited by kanedaestes

Dante is taking the bigger is better path, unchained. He has the longest ladder (nice), the biggest firetruck (I can live with that), and Dante is the same size as MP-10 (oops, out of scale for me). Those who like him have their reasons, though, so I hope X-Transbots gives Dante Andras-level good quality.

For TT's official release, I think Inferno is also the first release where Takara has added in a "part" gimmick that we can switch out and leave in for transformation. I'm curious to see how well it works, even though it is supposed to be an easy thing (replacing the front bumper and grille), so much doesn't really get tested until MPs go retail. But it appears to be a go-to design choice now, since Megatron has a similar "part" gimmick for his fake chest.

Yeah, Inferno's rear end does look bad. Is it a deal-breaker? Nah. For one, I'm rarely gonna display its back end in alt mode, and the folding ladder gimmick makes up for it IMO. Frankly, I was put off by Backdraft's shortcomings. If X-Transbots' Inferno (was it Dante?) has a similar outcome, I'll be alright with the official version.

I just think it is really lazy, and something that looks like that shouldn't be called a masterpiece. Big blocks of unpainted and untextured plastic is not acceptable on a ten-dollar toy, it shouldn't be standard on something that is an order of magnitude more expensive.

Star Saber could get away with it precisely because he was Star Saber. The toy and cartoon were on the same page, and there wasn't any real-world vehicle we could point to and say "It was SUPPOSED to look like this!" All incarnations of him featured large swaths of undetailed flat panels. So it WORKED for Star Saber, but for the more terrestrial characters, it is a huge problem.

But hey, I find the entire MP line far too rich for my blood anyways.

Hmm it's unlikely they would even stop it unless the box said "Transforming Toy Gun Inside" or if you got very unlucky. I'd say you should be ok, I don't remember having any trouble getting MP-5 or the G1 Reissue in the states but that was a while ago.

Edited by dizman

that's the weird thing with bbts. it's not like someone from bbts is sitting at every customs station ready to put on a plug. it still has to go through customs.

any reports of the many 3P megatrons out there coming in?

Edited by Negotiator

Kinda wish I'd waited for some of these other sites, but I didn't think we'd see the price drop that much. Usually I'm patient about this stuff- the one time I'm not, it bites me. Live and learn.

Hmm it's unlikely they would even stop it unless the box said "Transforming Toy Gun Inside" or if you got very unlucky. I'd say you should be ok, I don't remember having any trouble getting MP-5 or the G1 Reissue in the states but that was a while ago.

Thanks dizman. ^_^

that's the weird thing with bbts. it's not like someone from bbts is sitting at every customs station ready to put on a plug. it still has to go through customs.

any reports of the many 3P megatrons out there coming in?

I assumed the shipment was stopping in China for alteration, as opposed to the work being done stateside.

The Triggerhappy/HotRod wave is out----but I haven't even seen a sample pic of the Takara versions. There's not morally that much of a gap. I'm a HUGE Truggerhappy fan, and the mold is great----but Hasbro of course used tons of that awful milky warm grey plastic. I need to see what Takara's version looks like.

I understand TT/Hasbro want to do Headmasters, and that's cool for the characters who were Headmaster figs, but I wish they'd drop the gimmick for those non-Headmaster characters. The upcoming Hot Rod and Perceptor look really well done, but I wish their heads were part of the transformation. At least with the vehicle figs, the head can become a driver; with Perceptor, there's really nowhere for the head bot to go, so they lay him on the stage, as if he were a specimen. :rolleyes: I'll be glad when they retire the Titan Master line and just make regular TFs with non-detachable body parts. Complaint aside, I'm loving all these homages to the 80's figures and how well they are capturing the look of those toys while modernizing them for articulation and complexity.

I never really noticed Triggerhappy before, but taking a look at NYCC and official product pics as well as G1 toy pics, they did an excellent job with the design. I'm anxious for Kickback(finally), Perceptor, Brawn, and Hot Rod- and now Triggerhappy, too. I'd like to get excited about the upcoming Broadside, as his carrier mode looks great, but then I see that atrocious jet mode and wonder WTF, Takara. All the upcoming triple changers favor one particular alt mode to the remarkable detriment of the other. With all their experience designing transforming toys, I'd expect them to come up more refined designs, but some of these things make me think they got one alt down and just gave up on the other.

I wish Has/Tak would have put out a few Animated figures this year to mark the 10 year anniversary of the show. I've been paging through my copy of the Complete Allspark Almanac looking at various designs and concepts never realized into toy form- lots of potential there. I still lament not getting a fourth season.

Stopped at Walgreens to get Orajel for my teething toddler, wound up finding their exclusive Titans Return Deluxe-class Brainstorm. Better yet, 40% off!

post-187-0-52349600-1480306280_thumb.jpg

So, the pros... In robot mode, he's a pretty good Brainstorm. Colors are good, the head sculpt works good, and he's got a lot of the details you'd expect like the canopy in his torso, the little wings over his shoulders with the larger wings hanging off them, etc. Darker thighs, like Fansproject's Smart Robin or the earlier Generations Voyager, would have been more toy accurate, but they don't look bad and they're still accurate enough to The Headmasters cartoon. Arguably, he's the most G1 Brainstormy of the three figures I have, due to Smart Robin hiding his jet bits better and Generations Brainstorm being based more on the IDW version of Brainstorm.

post-187-0-03416500-1480306289_thumb.jpg

It's a shame weapons aren't G1, especially the big gun-shield. Like my other Brainstorms, he can store his weapons on his back, but they look less like part of the character design and more like he's got a huge chunk of kibble on his back. From behind, you can also see the flaps the cover his hands in alt mode, but on the whole not a lot of the hollow bits we've come to expect on Hasbro Deluxes.

post-187-0-95958600-1480306305_thumb.jpg

A quick look at the heads. Don't know why the TR version has a green head.

post-187-0-65133300-1480306295_thumb.jpg

TR Brainstorm is actually a remold of Titans Return Blurr, which was also a pretty good figure (by Hasbro Deluxe standards). The only articulation they're really lacking are ankles. At a glance, the different colors do a good job of making them look different, but closer inspection will show that aside from their heads, upper arms, hand covers, nosecone shields, and one other alt mode bit they're the same toy.

post-187-0-12616900-1480306318_thumb.jpg

Their similarities are much more evident in alt mode, where Brainstorm looks less like Brainstorm and more like Blurr with wings and a different nose. It's a very un-jet-like silhouette. The two figures are similar enough that, if you want, you can swap noses between them. Oddly, Brainstorm looks more like an aircraft with Blurr's nose.

post-187-0-12616900-1480306318_thumb.jpg

When you look at all three Brainstorm's in alt mode, it's clear that TR Brainstorm is the worst of the bunch (although to be fair, I don't have ToyWorld's).

On the whole, if I could only have one Brainstorm I'd have to go with Fansproject's Smart Robin; it's a toy that looks good in both modes and switches between them in a very interesting way that almost totally hides his jet parts (even if that actually makes him less accurate). However, I think the good outweighs the bad on TR Brainstorm. He's a solid robot that will fit better with the other Season 4/The Headmasters characters than the earlier Generations version. It's just a shame that his alt mode is so off*.

*Why didn't they just wait and remold TR Triggerhappy is beyond me.

post-187-0-41506100-1480306312_thumb.jpg

Chosen Prime has a video review up for MP-33 Inferno.

Still looks super meh to me, glad I passed, not my cup of tea, snagged MMC Backdraft for $70 on black Friday. Credit where credit is due though, that transformation is beautiful. Takara's engineering still seems top notch, but the aesthetic they are moving towards just isn't cutting it for me. Shame too, Takara's transformation and clean ladder in chest bit on MMC Backdraft would be a pretty perfect MP Inferno in my opinion.

edit: Optibotimus review of MP-33 is up too.

Edited by Tking22

Stopped at Walgreens to get Orajel for my teething toddler, wound up finding their exclusive Titans Return Deluxe-class Brainstorm. Better yet, 40% off!

Damn i'm jealous. I need Brainstorm to finish off my original 4 HMs collection. Unfortunately there's no way to get him here in canada without paying huge ebay markups.

I must say that all the Infernos look good together in the Chosen Prime review. Third parties really are offering fans a choice for MP aesthetics, and choice is a very good thing.

For Inferno, my favorite designs ended up being the official Takara release (after some hesitation, like with Ironhide) and Maketoys stylized release (that clever leg transformation).

After watching TCP's review I'm impressed with Tamara's engineering but still prefer Backdraft in robot mode (Hellfire is took chunky, but those same proportions would make MT's my go-to Grapple).

As for alt mode, I like Backdraft the best with Hellfire a close second and Inferno a distant "I can't believe this passes for MP" third. 80% of the truck looks like robot arms lying on robot legs... which they are, but at least MMC and MT pretend the robot arms and legs are made of fire truck.

I think the engineering on Inferno is amazing that is why I ordered Grapple. However I'm not a fan of the cartoon aesthetic. They ought to be robots in disguise. The discrepancy between the realistic cab and the plain rest of the toy is also jarring. The pieces molded in gray plastic looks terrible. This kind of plastic finish shouldn't be present on any visible parts on an collectible toy that is as expensive as MP Inferno.

He will also look out of place with MP 10 - 25. :(

Even if the QC on my Backdraft is quite sad I still think he is better in every aspect besides the ladder engineering. He is also cheaper. To bad his build quality is not up to par with their Sphinx.

Edited by Scyla

Can anyone recommend a good transformers series of toys for like 5 year olds? The Rescue Bots are a bit too simple for my boy but I don't know enough about the other series to choose something that he wouldn't be making me transform for him. I think he needs something about as sophisticated as the old chunky monkeys... though I know they don't make anything so rugged any more.