The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I think it was Voyager 2007 Starscream(or another "movie seeker" mold), but there WAS a change from the instructions to the actual toy, removing a hinge (saving parts/money), that altered how tightly the parts could fold/tuck up in alt mode. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Hasbro has ZERO concern for undercarriage junk on their jets.

Ah, the infamous "hands sticking out from the jet mode's a$$" on ROTF voyager Starscream.

I think it was Voyager 2007 Starscream(or another "movie seeker" mold), but there WAS a change from the instructions to the actual toy, removing a hinge (saving parts/money), that altered how tightly the parts could fold/tuck up in alt mode. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Hasbro has ZERO concern for undercarriage junk on their jets.

Yeah, and it all ties back to my sorta-rant in the 3P thread. I do think Brainstorm's good for the price (I really do like his bot mode a lot), and I don't even begrudge Hasbro for dealing with the realities of mainstream releases at set price points that can be marketed to kids and meet US consumer safety laws, but again if you have the money to spend on a toy that's freed from those constraints why wouldn't you go with that instead? Ultimately, I think that's half the reason Hasbro really hasn't gone after any 3Ps... there's overlap, to be sure, but I really feel like they're actually after two different markets.

Ultimately, I think that's half the reason Hasbro really hasn't gone after any 3Ps... there's overlap, to be sure, but I really feel like they're actually after two different markets.

True in the past, for sure, but their presentation at NY Toy Fair this year seemed to indicate a shift in thought concerning their target audiences for future toys. They acknowledged that %30 of their market are adult collectors, and indicated that the Generations(Classics) line is primarily targeted more at the adult fans, which makes sense to me, since they're homaging 30 yr old characters that this generation of kids know only by proxy or the vapid reuse of old characters' names. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see the bump in quality we'd like to see in Generations, as far as the elimination of hollow areas and lack of other features and such that would make a good toy great. The 3P folks are at an advatage: they design the best toy they can, and then slap a price on it, which is often double or triple what we'd pay for a similarly scaled official toy. That's the tradeoff. Overall, though, I've been mostly pleased with alot of the recent Generations toys; I wasn't so much into the CW stuff, which evidenced a lot of money-saving tactics to be able to bring them to market affordably. I'd love to see complexity and quality rise back to the levels we saw in the 2007-2012 timeframe. When I say complexity, I don't mean it as complexity for complexity's sake, but rather adding more hinged parts where they'll improve aesthetics or transformation, more articulation points, double elbows and knees, better molds that cover large hollow areas, better and more paint apps on American releases- all things that we've gotten in the past (relative to current releases), and that an older discerning fanbase expect. In terms of both the MP line, and many of the 3P G1 toys, Has/Tak are competing for the adult market, under much greater constraints.

Third party makers also have the advantage of being able to sell direct and through specialty online stores so they can have whatever price point they want. Even if Hasbro wanted to make $40 deluxe size toys their biggest issue would be convincing major retailers to actually stock something so small and expensive.

Well... after the recent spate of reveals, I decided to preorder the Unite Warriors Computron. As much as I greatly prefer the Streetwise mold to the Wheeljack mold (regardless of which actually fits as Lightspeed better), the new Computron head and chest on Scattershot, the heavily-retooled Blast Off and Rook for Strafe and Nosecone instead of a much less-heavily retooled Skydive and Brawl, and the new weapons ultimately will make for a better Computron/Technobots than the new hands and feet on the Combiner Wars version.

Besides, all my other official combiners have those dang hand-foot-guns. Why be different now?

I want toy-colors on the UW molds. Sadly, that has about 0.1% chance of happening.

Anyways:

Machinima_zpsapgaatqv.jpg

I wonder if she'll have the same voice actor as RiD Windblade. (from reading the comics, I get the sense that RiD Windblade and IDW Windblade, while looking a lot a like, are actually quite different people)

I want toy-colors on the UW molds. Sadly, that has about 0.1% chance of happening.

What are the main differences? Is the Combiner Wars version toy-colored? The only part of any Transformers combiner I had as a kid was Hun-Gurrr (hence why the toy colors on Siegfriend/Ordin don't bother me), and the Technobots didn't make a huge impression on me. I really only know them from "Grimlock's New Brain," and the thing that honestly stuck the most in mind mind was the way Afterburner's wheels were arranged on Computron's shoulder.

There's been no exceptions to the pattern yet for the combiners----Hasbro is toy-colored, Takara is toon-colored.

Yeah, I get that, but I mean how were the Technobot toys colored differently than they were in the cartoon?

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm interested in taking a look at the technobots. They were one of my favorites. I think they were neat future vehicles in contrants to the more evolving beast alt modes that were becoming more common among decepticons. (Predaking, terrorcons, horracons, seacons)

I was still seeking jets and cars. Technobots sorta fit that mold

Anyways:

I wonder if she'll have the same voice actor as RiD Windblade. (from reading the comics, I get the sense that RiD Windblade and IDW Windblade, while looking a lot a like, are actually quite different people)

Windblade is the most ridiculous marry-sue character design in all of transformers, yet I really like it. :rolleyes:

I'd like a toy or statue of something that actually captures how her face looks in the IDW comics, because they make her look really pretty.

Wind2-2.png1400402226_tumblr_n2hkxsGRD11r1n44mo1_50

of course, given the nature of Transformers collectors, that's never gonna happen, not even from 3rd party.

Edited by anime52k8

Yeah, I get that, but I mean how were the Technobot toys colored differently than they were in the cartoon?

The toys have a lot more variation. Both in the team's total number of colors, and number of colors per bot. Scattershot alone makes toy-colors superior. Gorgeous shades of red and maroon and burgundy.

Toon Computron is boring and blandly colored, but the individual toon Technobots are even worse.

After all the retooling done for Computron I wonder if Takara will do a new torso for Leokaiser. Actually making a Leozack and Jaruga would be awesome.

Since where close to the end of Combiner Wars I was thinking if someone at Hastak has thought about Duocons that combine to a CW torso. You know selling them as a two pack at the voyager price point and they could be a vehicle, a robot and half of a torso. That's probably not G1 enough though. :(

Edited by Scyla

Since where close to the end of Combiner Wars I was thinking if someone at Hastak has thought about Duocons that combine to a CW torso. You know selling them as a two pack at the voyager price point and they could be a vehicle, a robot and half of a torso. That's probably not G1 enough though. :(

That is a really neat idea, and a good use of the Duocon concept!

And let's be honest here, how G1 is Soundwave as a headmaster with a base mode? Or Trailbreak/blazer as a combiner limb? That sounds well within the realm of usable liberties.

Windblade is the most ridiculous marry-sue character design in all of transformers, yet I really like it. :rolleyes:

I'd like a toy or statue of something that actually captures how her face looks in the IDW comics, because they make her look really pretty.

*snip*

of course, given the nature of Transformers collectors, that's never gonna happen, not even from 3rd party.

I would love to get a voyager or even Masterpiece version of Windblade. The deluxe doesn't do it. I don't understand why the rear landing gear doesn't fold away. Maybe a 3rd party company will hear my pleads.

Edited by Scyla

So i got my UW Devastator and a peg on Scrapper's shovel is broken. This peg secures the shovel to the tractor so devastator can securely stand. :(

So basically Scrapper as Devastator's foot, is broken.

c9befc70-669b-474c-9ba4-4f7cc7e8a2b4.jpge37e2893-22bf-467a-a030-96a357b9702c.jpge039f326-f548-43e2-a39d-50aa82ccd659.jpgHas anyone had this problem with Devastator?

Edited by vlenhoff

Vlenhoff, y'mean Scrapper, right? ;) Sorry to see the damage :( ; that's a very poor design when just a single small tab is made to secure a part that requires it to bear the weight of such a large figure. <_< At the very least, they could have made the crossmember with the tab from die-cast.

New clear pics of MP Optimus Primal over on TFW2005 http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/04/04/takara-masterpiece-mp-32-optimus-primal-official-stock-photos-312396

Nothing about this says MP to me; he looks like a voyager or leader class Genrations figure. His bot mode looks great, but his ape mode was sacrificed. The two things that really stand out are that the ape head is pretty much held erect and forward facing like a human, so that he looks at the ground in ape mode (very awkward looking), and Primal's white thighs are clearly visible in ape mode from behind. Really wish this had just gone to retail as a $40 leader.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Vlenhoff, y'mean Scrapper, right? ;) Sorry to see the damage :( ; that's a very poor design when just a single small tab is made to secure a part that requires it to bear the weight of such a large figure. <_< At the very least, they could have made the crossmember with the tab from die-cast.

This is my first Devastator ever, and TBH i never really learned the names, lol.

Thanks for the correction M'Kyuun. I am really disappointed about this. Devastator can still stand, but this makes it nearly impossible for dynamic poses to be achieved. I wonder if we should get our money back, and get something else. I really loved Devastator, and he is great fun, so I hope this was just bad luck and not something characteristic of this figure. Either way i am sending this back.

Lot of discussion since I'd last checked in.

OK, Vlenhoff, I have the Hasbro one, not the Takara, and my Scrapper's been fine. I've even packed them into a bag and taken them over to a buddy's to show him Devy, so it's had some play. I did, however, bust a tab on Hook's leg that keeps them pegged together in vehicle mode. You can see a little gap on top, but the fortunately Devastator's chest plate hold everything together in combined mode.

Regarding Windblade, I honestly don't care if we never get another toy of her ever. Sure, Sarah Stone draws Windblade exceptionally well, but she is probably one of the least-interesting characters to be introduced in Transformers fiction, and I blame Mairghread Scott. Everything she's written, at least for Transformers, reads like bad fan fiction.

Regarding a Headmaster Soundwave that turns into a base, I'd be cool with it... if he were a Voyager. Leader-class Transformers simply don't scale well with Deluxes and Voyagers. Even if I was ok with a Soundwave that large, I'd just stick the MP in with my CHUGs (like I already do with his tapes). It's while I'll probably skip Blaster, and it's why I skipped the Seekers. I'll still get PM Prime, though. I see PM Prime as a sort of Super Mode for regular Prime, so I'm ok with him being bigger.

Saw Combiner Wars Onslaught and Scattershot in person. Onslaught looks cool but Scattershot looks terrible.

Music Label Soundwave and Device Label Blaster are fine enough in my CHUG collection.

Regarding Windblade, I honestly don't care if we never get another toy of her ever. Sure, Sarah Stone draws Windblade exceptionally well, but she is probably one of the least-interesting characters to be introduced in Transformers fiction, and I blame Mairghread Scott. Everything she's written, at least for Transformers, reads like bad fan fiction.

I haven't fallowed any form of transformers fiction since Energon. For me it's about 25% nostalgia and 75% what looks really cool to me that drives any transformers purchases. I like things that work for me on a conceptual and aesthetic level, Sarah Stones Windblade art does that for me. I'd just like a really nice bust or something. It's the same reason I'm interested in TFC's liokaizer.

I haven't fallowed any form of transformers fiction since Energon. For me it's about 25% nostalgia and 75% what looks really cool to me that drives any transformers purchases. I like things that work for me on a conceptual and aesthetic level, Sarah Stones Windblade art does that for me. I'd just like a really nice bust or something. It's the same reason I'm interested in TFC's liokaizer.

I guess I'm just coming from a different POV, then. I've been reading the IDW Transformers series since the beginning, and while I love More Than Meets the Eye and most of the various mini-series and one-shots, I didn't care for either Windblade series and thought the whole Combiner Wars story was a a low for the series.

But yeah, Sarah Stone's artwork is fantastic.

So... apparently there's some Ebay listings for Deluxe Groove now (and at $80, I'd rather just buy the whole dang UW Defensor). Not a huge surprise, since we know TRU in Taiwan is going to have them for some promo event. Except, there's something interesting- one of the sellers has the shipping case in their photo, and it's labeled with "May Mayhem." This is a big deal because May Mayhem was what Hasbro called it when they made Slingshot and Wildrider available (as Quickslinger and Break-Neck) available Stateside through online retailers. Some kind of US release for Deluxe Groove is looking more and more likely.

Where did you get UW Devs from Vlenhoff? Some retailers will help their customers with a quick replacement (and some will say thanks for the money cya sucker if you are unlucky). That tab breaking isn't too common from what I've read.

Someone grabbed this screen from Dorkside Toys.

post-187-0-58082700-1459918420_thumb.jpg

I tried following the link, but the page that comes up says "Oops! We're not quite ready to reveal this page yet."

It's clearly labeled "May Mayhem," and it was pointed out that the price, $17.99, is the price of all their Deluxes, which would seem to indicate a direct supply from Hasbro and not a middleman Asian supplier.

A US release of Deluxe Groove in May is looking more and more likely.

Where did you get UW Devs from Vlenhoff? Some retailers will help their customers with a quick replacement (and some will say thanks for the money cya sucker if you are unlucky). That tab breaking isn't too common from what I've read.

It is a present from my best friend, and He ordered it through amazon. We don't know if the amazon store will replace it. If they don't, we will perhaps have to find another one. At this point, I feel this is an engineering fault, and I would not mind getting something else entirely. This sucks, I was so exited about Devastator.

Edited by vlenhoff