The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Dunno about you guys, but it looks like retailers in my area are skipping the third wave of Combiner Wars Deluxes (most of the stores in my area either never bothered with the Voyagers, or never bothered with more than the first wave of Voyagers). After what seems like Wave 1 being out forever and Wave 2 barely making it to shelves, I was sort of surprised to find multiples of all four Wave 4 Deluxes. Fortunately for me, I'd bought all the Protectobots online.

I wanted Prowl from this line, since I didn't really like the previous CHUG mold (even if it is more accurate), since Streetwise one of my favorite Combiner Wars molds, and since I like the idea of Prowl and Streetwise on patrol together with the same alt mode. I didn't really plan on getting any of the other three, since Breakdown is one of the worse molds and Offroad and Dragstrip repainted with new heads don't exactly scream Ironhide and Mirage (plus, Mirage's previous CHUG mold is one of the best). But, I already have Optimus and Alpha Bravo (who got replaced on Superion when Slingshot got released after all), plus Offroad (who got replaced in a similar fashion when Wildrider was similarly released) I figured if I was getting Prowl, I'd just need one more limb to make a whole combiner. A part of me said wanted to wait for Wheeljack, but I wanted to make a combiner now. So I decided to get another. And Offroad's a Decepticon, so better make that three. And then I decided I couldn't get all but one, so I said screw it and bought all four. Well, I guess I can get Hound along with Wheeljack when Wave 5 hits, then grab another torso and stick 'em with Offroad and Alpha Bravo, because I don't really need another Trailbreaker or Smokescreen (Bluestreak, maybe, but screw Smokescreen).

Just grabbed this sweet shirt over at superherostuff.com for 7 bucks with a code.

I think I got the last medium.

image-tstfoptgrd-primary-watermark.jpg

cool shirt. interesting they don't use the original box art from the US release in 1984... which is this http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/1e/G1_OptimusPrime_boxart.jpg

they use the japanese optimus vs. megatron box set art. i actually think my reissue (got it in japan in 1987 i think?) uses this modified artwork too. i wish they'd use the original box art.

Looks like Takara are making a new MP Hot Rod. http://news.tfw2005.com/

Meh...wish they'd keep making the '84 bots. A new seeker mold would be welcome, or surprise us by making Reflector.

What worries me is that for MP Hot Rodimus the old designer is on the helm of Transformers Masterpiece development. :p And we all know how well the design went for MP-09. So please Kobayashi deliver something decent. ^_^

I've listened to the TFW1005 podcast lately and they already said that MP Ironhide looks to be a letdown after all the Carbots designed by Hasui. I guess MP Tracks could be already a Kobayashi design so lets see how this one looks once I have it in hands. :)

If you want a MP Reflector I would go with MakeToys Visualizers or FansToys Spotter Takara will never do a Decepticon ever again if it isn't a repaint of an Autobot. I wonder who green-lit MP Soundwave. :p

Shockwave would be very cool. And a new official Megatron.

I have Apollyon, b/c I got tired of waiting on Takara, and honestly, he's done so well that I'm not sure if Takara could do much better. I'd like to see them try, though. ;) Soon!

As for MP Ironhide, I don't find his design nearly as refined as the others, but he's still the most screen accurate representation I've seen. I have to say though, given that the cartoon depiction was a total cheat, since, other than the chest, it didn't match the toy whatsoever, translating the van into a toy to capture both modes is a challenge, and I'm happy with what they came up with overall. I still wish they could have found a way for his weapons tray to actually incorporate into the thing and become an autonomous tracked vehicle, and for his back cannon to retract into his back, but beggars can't be choosers.

Instead of Hot Rod, I wish they'd done MP Arcee or Springer; you know, characters we actually liked. :p In Hot Rod's defense, though, I like his car mode, so I'd get him more for the sculpt than for any love of the character.

:p What's wrong with Hot Rod? Its Rodimus Prime that was a bore! (Ok and getting Prime killed).

I would've liked them to tackle Arcee as well. She is screaming for the MP treatment. I would've liked them to also release MP versions of Jazz, cliff jumper, trailbreaker, and Sunstreaker before moving over the Season 2 characters, but since they released MP Ultra Magnus, maybe they felt the need to compliment him with Hot Rod.

Well, I can't blame them for trying. Cool idea, poor execution. Fortunately, I never got him. I may get Hot Rod though.

Odd that more hasn't been shown concerning their foray into Beast Wars for next year. I figured an early proto of MP Primal would have been teased by now.

Ultimately, whatever else Takara are doing, I hope Shogo Hasui-san is busy designing the rest of the '84 Bots.

I welcome the idea of a new individual MP mold for Hot Rod and with that hopefully a new MP Rodimus Prime, but then I was reminded of this:

What worries me is that for MP Hot Rodimus the old designer is on the helm of Transformers Masterpiece development. :p And we all know how well the design went for MP-09. So please Kobayashi deliver something decent. ^_^

If I am not mistaken he was also in charge of Ultra Bricknus too, that just doesn't bode well.

Takara please put Hasui or Yuki back in charge!!

Guest davidwhangchoi

I see.... no trailer for hotrod... Since they included the headmaster gimmick for mp space brick (or whatever the gimmick was called, power master?)

I wonder if hot rod will come with mp target master to go on top of his hood engine?

Yeah from the silhouette, this MP Hot Rod does look kinda weird, but then again so does MP Tracks and that turn out to be great. The legs and the spoiler doesn't look as good as MP-09. This new Hot Rod should include his Shield and light saber, I still love my MP-09, they just need to shrink it down to MP Tracks size and have a proper color (magenta), replace the skeleton hands (those hands are hideous), have bigger wheels, replace the front skirt for the bot mode, trailer not needed, and improve the overall QC. I can't tell you how much I love Hot Rod especially his vehicle mode, on the other hand Rodimus Prime, I do not care for. We'll just have to wait and see what's in store for us.

It's great for those who are into Combiner Wars, I've never look into it and. They just look weird to me, it looks as if the G1 characters got mutated.

It's great for those who are into Combiner Wars, I've never look into it and. They just look weird to me, it looks as if the G1 characters got mutated.

They are great playable updates to the old scramble city combiners. Costs a fraction of 3rd party, and with a bit of investment in 3rd party add-ons, they can look like collector-grade combiners too. I'm happy the kids of today and the kiddults are getting these :D