The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

The story I heard was it was a dispute with Cartoon Network over money.

See, I remember such a dispute being the reason Season 3 only just became available in the last year or so. But never heard it was the reason for the cancellation.

That's probably an assumption, due to the fact that Animated ended around the time that Revenge of the Fallen came out. Prime toys sold alongside Dark of the Moon toys, after all, with Classics/Universe/Generations chugging along amidst all four movies, Animated, Prime, and the new Robots In Disguise.

Granted, my explanation is, too. As far as I can recall, Hasbro was just like, "yeah, it's canceled" at Botcon '09, and an official reason was never given. But given how many concurrent Transformers toylines there's been, I think it's more probable that Animated was killed simply because it was on the Cartoon Network and Hasbro was gearing up to launch The Hub with Transformers Prime.

It made sense to me. Up until then, there were never more than 3 toylines on the shelves at any given time (Cybertron/Classics/Alternators and so on). But you're right, Mike. Now there doesn't seem to be a limit. We've got Mashers, MP, Year of the animals, Generations, Movie, and RID all going on at once now.

Now there doesn't seem to be a limit. We've got Mashers, MP, Year of the animals, Generations, Movie, and RID all going on at once now.

TF4 will be a permanent fixture. TF5 will be in theaters, and there'll still be one-step Grimlocks and Lockdowns clogging shelves...

HLJ have the Takara version of Leader Ultra Magnus up for preorder. I found a nice side by side comparison pic with Hasbro's, and had no problem going with the Takara, whose release corresponds nicely with MP tracks. Private warehouse is coming in handy. I kinda wish Takara's had white thighs, but having seen the IDW design, it's faithful to the comics. Overall, I like the brighter blue and far better paint apps on the Takara, plus I like the Alpha Trion colors for his little sidekick/driver.

HLJ have the Takara version of Leader Ultra Magnus up for preorder. I found a nice side by side comparison pic with Hasbro's, and had no problem going with the Takara, whose release corresponds nicely with MP tracks. Private warehouse is coming in handy. I kinda wish Takara's had white thighs, but having seen the IDW design, it's faithful to the comics. Overall, I like the brighter blue and far better paint apps on the Takara, plus I like the Alpha Trion colors for his little sidekick/driver.

IIRC, Magnus has had both white thighs and red thighs in the IDW comics, and I kind of prefer the white. The lighter blue matches the comics, too (although I also prefer the darker blue). Actually, as a fan of the IDW comics, I have to go with the Hasbro version is because I don't want Alpha Trion, I want Minimus Ambus.

Although the main reason I'm going with the Hasbro version is because I want him enough to pick him up if I see him in the store, but not enough to order him online, especially an import.

Heh, my Quickslinger drama continues! It arrived today and has black paint all over the canopy, a seriously bent verticle tailfin and a comic that looks like someone carried it around in their ass pocket for a day before slipping it into the package. Luckily Amazon still has them in stock so I can do a quick and easy exchange. I think I just heard my Alpha Bravo utter a Mr. Burns style "Excellent."

Just wondering, what is the general consensus on the current TF series?

I've only seen the first three episodes, so I don't want to really judge it yet (took me a few episodes to get into Prime, after all). I agree with RD Blade's assessment; it's a little more kiddie than Prime was. The Decepticons especially are more like caricatures instead of fleshed out characters.

I do kinda like Grimlock, though.

I haven't been able to make it through an episode yet. Something about the animation really bugs me, and the dialogue/characters just sort of rub me the wrong way. Animated I went into thinking I'd hate it and was hooked by the end of the first episode. Prime...was sort of boring for a while but I gave it a chance and ended up loving the first season, then went back to being bored with the second season and I thought the third was terrible.

Blades, Streetwise, and First Aid came today.

As you guys probably know, Blades is a repaint of Alpha Bravo. The only difference aside from colors is a poorly sculpted grimace in place of a faceplate.

Likewise, First Aid is a repaint of Offroad. First Aid is more significantly changed, though, with more of an ambulance rear than a pickup. I dig the new head and colors, and unlike Offroad his joints aren't all floppy and his robot arms peg better in Defensor arm mode. Disappointingly, he comes with the same axe weapon that Offroad has, which seems out of place when everyone else has guns.

Lastly, Streetwise is a retool of Dead End/Wildrider (or Brake-Neck, if you prefer). Like First Aid, he's got a little more remolding than just a head. I think, more than most of the other CW figures, he's suffering from a lack of paint. There's a blue stripe down the side, but it stops at his leg when it looks like it should continue. I Gundam markered some tail lights onto him. What I like best about Streetwise, though, is that he comes with a totally unique weapon that looks like a shotgun, which seems appropriate for a police officer/car.

For now, I have them set up with CW Optimus and Alpha Bravo in what I'm calling "Defensimus Prime". Hot Spot's not going to get here until mid June, and I can't seem to find a Rook. Sadly, there's no way to cram Groove into Defensimus Prime's chest.

Hmmm, same here - I had a half dozen or so to begin with (parents moved to Australia and did well financially after 5 years working many jobs) but it was more than likely Soundwave or Optimus. I very distinctly remember begging my mum for a TF at woolies (any Aussies here will know) and having both Wreck-gar and Thrust in-hand and having a hard time choosing.

I know for a fact mine was neither Optimus nor Soundwave. My first Optimus was Powermaster Prime, my first "real" Optimus was the Generation 2 reissue.

To this day I've never owned an actual transforming cassette player Soundwave(though I DO own a real working tape player shaped like Soundwave!).

I don't remember honestly. I know all the ones I had from before 1987 got tore up pretty badly. Jetfire. Prime. Jazz.

I remember playing with the penny racers a lot - jumper and bee.

Pretty sure Soundwave was my favorite as my parents bought one for each of us (Brother and I) - so if they did that it meant we couldn't share him properly haha.

I got Metroplex for my birthday one year - that was a big deal.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

my older brother got starscream, mirage, wheeljack first. so i skipped them, a close friend had prime and trail breaker.

i ended up with devastator giftset, shockwave and perceptor. (don't remember the order but i know devastator was during christmas cause i wanted jetfire but changed my mind when i saw the giftset for the same price)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I remember my first TF toy vividly (G1 Windcharger) because it was my first exposure to even the concept of transforming toys. I grew up in a small town and watched very little television and there weren't many comics around. One day while we were in a larger city my parents took me to a Sears store. In the toy section (remember when Sears had a toy section?) I found this little red car on bubble card and thought it looked kind of cool. It was more or less Hot Wheels sized but wasn't a Hotwheels and there was a drawing of a robot on the front. I turned the card over and saw how the car could actually change into the robot that was on the drawing. It blew my mind. I looked around for others but there weren't any, just this one mysterious, utterly amazing toy. I made my case to mom and dad why I had to have it and they bought it for me.

I don't think I actually saw the cartoon until over a year after that.

Sideswipe for me. As far as I can recall, he was the only '84 transformer I owned, aside from Bumblebee. I had a few of the smaller ones from later, but we were pretty poor then, so mostly then I just had Gobots. Things were better for us around the movie and season 3, so I had a ton more from then on.