The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Went to Target this morning to look for the Transformers Prime Season 1 Blu-ray set. No dice. They can stock stupid crap like The Tooth Fairy 2 on Blu-ray, but not Transformers, I guess.

They did have the DVD version though, if you need that.

I wound up ordring it on Amazon. I'm using to paying more for Blu-rays than DVDs, but double? Yeesh.

Just a heads up to BluRay fans. BluRay manufacturers have figured out how to maximize profits while robbing consumers. Remember when the extra $5 would get you a 3 disc set (BluRay, DVD, & Digital copy)? Now you get a single double-sided disc and the "digital copy" is streaming (internet required).

Oh, and Transformers rock. :p

Just a heads up to BluRay fans. BluRay manufacturers have figured out how to maximize profits while robbing consumers. Remember when the extra $5 would get you a 3 disc set (BluRay, DVD, & Digital copy)? Now you get a single double-sided disc and the "digital copy" is streaming (internet required).

Oh, and Transformers rock. :p

I'm so against these "digital copies" that require internet connection to be watched. When WB started their Ultraviolet copies I thought you could easily watch it "anywhere" as stated on the package. After complaining to them they sent me an iTunes gift code so I could purchase a real digital copy.

Back on topic though, I also purchased the Prime Blu-Ray set from amazon.com since I figure no one could or would come close to their price. It should be arriving any minute. It's sad that this release isn't getting more recognition from Target as I'd figure it'd be a great way to unload some of the Prime toys so that maybe some kids would help thin out the sea of Bumblebee and maybe even the left over DOTM stuff so that we'd get more new product as most of the stores in my area are pretty lacking in Prime toys.

Apparently TRU has really shot themselves in the foot with their Prime voyager pricing. I stopped by 3 different TRU's since Friday trying to find a deluxe Soundwave, and every one has literally piles of Optimus and Megatron. They also had piles of bumblebee's... <_<

Apparently TRU has really shot themselves in the foot with their Prime voyager pricing. I stopped by 3 different TRU's since Friday trying to find a deluxe Soundwave, and every one has literally piles of Optimus and Megatron. They also had piles of bumblebee's... <_<

I'm sure they'll have a Voyager sale soon like they did with the deluxes last week to help move out all their product. You would think TRU would do some type of competitor price monitoring thought to help bring their prices a little closer to their competition even if it's not the same or cheaper.

It's sad that this release isn't getting more recognition from Target as I'd figure it'd be a great way to unload some of the Prime toys so that maybe some kids would help thin out the sea of Bumblebee and maybe even the left over DOTM stuff so that we'd get more new product as most of the stores in my area are pretty lacking in Prime toys.

I was thinking the same thing today when I went to pick up my copy. Target always puts their new releases at the top of the children's section (at least around here they do) but I found Prime waaaaay down by the floor, in a random slot like it was Air Bud 3 or something. I was there in the morning and they had a whole two copies. I guess the ENTIRE ROW of Tooth Fairy 2 meant everything else was screwed.

Anyway, I'm excited to watch the series. I watched the first three episodes online back in 1934 or whenever it first aired, but haven't seen any since as I don't have the Hub. I remember liking the first few episodes, so hopefully the whole season will at least be as enjoyable.

Edited by eriku

I watched the whole first season online. At first, I was a little turned off by the Bayformer-esque designs and the fact that Ratchet and Bulkhead were basically their Animated selves with less personality. But the series gets better as it progresses, and I find I even like the humans in it.

My biggest reason for wanting the Blu-ray set is the video I watched online was pretty lousy. It looked muddy, and things were at times indistinct. Early reviews suggest that the Blu-ray quality is excellent.

I also decided to check out the bluray set. Haven't watched any of it yet, but reviews have been positive enough to make me curious. Of course I haven't gotten arround to watching the last CN transformers series either, how does this one compare with that?

I also decided to check out the bluray set. Haven't watched any of it yet, but reviews have been positive enough to make me curious. Of course I haven't gotten arround to watching the last CN transformers series either, how does this one compare with that?

Do you mean Animated? If so, Animated had better characters and better stories with lots of homages to G1 (and later other Transformers shows), but it did get a little weird with one of the main characters in the third season. And while a lot of people liked the art style, I can't say I ever did, so as entertaining as it was I didn't buy many of the toys.

Do you mean Animated? If so, Animated had better characters and better stories with lots of homages to G1 (and later other Transformers shows), but it did get a little weird with one of the main characters in the third season. And while a lot of people liked the art style, I can't say I ever did, so as entertaining as it was I didn't buy many of the toys.

Animated was definitely more fun to watch and the G1 homages were awesome. Prime looks great but I feel that the writer's attempt at making the series more serious is also making a bit lackluster though I'm definitely happy with it overall. Toys from both series are great and much better than all that Armada/Energon/Cybertron series nonsense though I still think boxart from Armada/Energon was the best we've seen since the overall G1 boxart.

Agreed. Most of the time Prime seems to be taking itself too seriously.

On the other hand I'm sure there are a lot of fans who thought Animated didn't take itself seriously enough.

I like Prime so far, but it just doesn't have that sense of "fun" that Animated did. That and I guess I still prefer 2D animation over 3D. As good as the rendering is on Prime, it still seems a bit lifeless to me.

The Mastermind Creations Seekers from the Hearts Of Steel comics look awesome.

http://www.tfw2005.c...h-new-pics.html

Also, MP-12 is a car... . The design looks like it could be very cool to transform but i can't help but feel "Meh" about the choice.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/562963-masterpiece-12-sideswipe-23.html#post7419120

OMG. My first TF ever, and all-time fave Autobot. And the fact that it's actually a Countach? Mind blown. (we haven't gotten an actual Lambo in years due to the whole VW/Audi no-war-toys thing). And he's still a Countach, not a Murcielago or anything.

OMG. My first TF ever, and all-time fave Autobot. And the fact that it's actually a Countach? Mind blown. (we haven't gotten an actual Lambo in years due to the whole VW/Audi no-war-toys thing). And he's still a Countach, not a Murcielago or anything.

Me too! This is amazing news!! Passed/missed the last 2 MP's but this a must buy!! I have never been a car guy, BUT, I absolutely worshiped the Countach when I was a kid. Closest I ever came to being a car guy. ;)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yup, the announcement of MP Lambor was pretty surprising and I'm excited for it. Still, I'd be even more happy if they had decided to make MP Prowl instead.

Thats awesome, one of my first transformers besides Optimus and fav

Sunstreaker unlikely IMHO. Famous, but transforms and looks so different in bot mode you might as well ask for MP Tracks from the mold. Breakdown however, is possible if they either rotate the whole torso or flip the hood over the other way somehow. (Red Alert is of course a given, being little more than a seeker-style color-swap).

I'd love G1 Breakdown, but there's no way I'd buy him over Sideswipe.

Sunstreaker unlikely IMHO. Famous, but transforms and looks so different in bot mode you might as well ask for MP Tracks from the mold. Breakdown however, is possible if they either rotate the whole torso or flip the hood over the other way somehow. (Red Alert is of course a given, being little more than a seeker-style color-swap).

I'd love G1 Breakdown, but there's no way I'd buy him over Sideswipe.

honestly, I would be perfectly fine with them doing the same thing classics did and just flipping the torso around and giving him a new head.

Edited by anime52k8

WATCH HIM OUT! I hope that's all the bio says on the back of Breakdown's box.

Very excited for the MP Lambo. I liked the Countach so much when I was a kid that it was the only vehicle I had a picture book for. I spent a lot of time flipping through that book looking at different photos of that car. Of course these days I think it looks cheesy as hell but my nostalgia is more powerful than my adult tastes. Never did find the Sideswipe toy back then.

I really, truly hope they don't force an over-complicated confounding transformation into Lambo just because "It's a Masterpiece so look what we can do with engineering!". I'd rather Lambo not have the parts-fit problems that poor Roddy was plagued with. Fingers crossed he'll have more in common with Grimlock.

OK, I want to chime in as being excited for Sideswipe, because, like David, he was my first Transformer.

But I also want to say my Transformers Prime Blu-ray set arrived today. The quality is quite good. Everything is less muted, and I'm noticing a ton more detail that I never saw in the oft-muddy rips on the net. For G1 and Animated, I'd say DVD is fine, but Prime is really best on Blu-ray.

Wow, been gone a few days, and so much has happened.

MP-12 Sideswipe = dream come true.

As for the Hearts of Steel Seekers; great bot mode, but dodgy alt modes. The designs don't look that good in the drawings, and in their less compact plastic form.... Might get Screamer just coz I'm a fan of his.

Yup, the announcement of MP Lambor was pretty surprising and I'm excited for it. Still, I'd be even more happy if they had decided to make MP Prowl instead.

Right there with ya. Prowl was my first TF. I've been hoping for years that they'd make a version of him that matched his original G1 box art, or as close to it as they can get with current knowledge and techniques. The Classics version is mediocre at best; I still want a G1 MP Prowl.

MP Sideswipe looks fantastic, and gives me hope that the rest of the G1 cars will receive the same treatment.

As for Prime toys, I've only been to a couple Walmarts in my area, and neither Voyager Prime nor Megs are selling. I got Wheeljack and Soundwave. I may grab Arcee if I see her, but I'm inclined to wait for a possible redesign. Her batwings and copious back kibble don't look very good.

I like TF:Prime (got 1st season on DVR), but I have to agree that it lacks the spirit of Animated. I think Orci and Kurtzman do a far better job writing the series (I'm sure it helps that they don't have Bay mucking up their story with his "direction"), but the way they write Prime, as if he's quoting from an ethics textbook, makes him feel like a robot instead of a character to me. I realize they want him to be a moral character, but , despite Peter Cullen's delivery, he sounds too stiff and preachy to me. Despite the ludicrous non-talking Bumblebee and Preachy Prime, it's a pretty good show.

As for Prime toys, I've only been to a couple Walmarts in my area, and neither Voyager Prime nor Megs are selling. I got Wheeljack and Soundwave. I may grab Arcee if I see her, but I'm inclined to wait for a possible redesign. Her batwings and copious back kibble don't look very good.

I like TF:Prime (got 1st season on DVR), but I have to agree that it lacks the spirit of Animated. I think Orci and Kurtzman do a far better job writing the series (I'm sure it helps that they don't have Bay mucking up their story with his "direction"), but the way they write Prime, as if he's quoting from an ethics textbook, makes him feel like a robot instead of a character to me. I realize they want him to be a moral character, but , despite Peter Cullen's delivery, he sounds too stiff and preachy to me. Despite the ludicrous non-talking Bumblebee and Preachy Prime, it's a pretty good show.

Regarding RID Arcee, it's got nothing on the FE version. The only reason I might choose to buy RID Arcee is to mod it into a robot replica by removing the back kibble, since it's got a more screen-accurate and feminine bot mode due to all the faux kibble.

As for TF Prime, yeah, a good show but misses out on the fun factor that TFA has. That said, Prime doesn't bother me as much because he's an archetypical hero. It's more plausible if you just pretend that the matrix simply modifies his personality when he's "installed" with it. I mean, he WAS more wimpy and tame as Orion Pax without the knowledge of the Primes during the first two episodes of season two.

What I really can't stand are Bumblebee and his R2D2 beeps, and Miko. I just don't see how having a mute robot adds anything to the plot and characterization. It makes script writing difficult, and turns Bumblebee into some sort of robotic Lassie because he can't properly emote without dialogue.

I know Orci and Kurtzman are really proud of Mute BB from the movie, but it's really getting old.

As for Miko, I don't think I have anything more to say about her that others haven't already said in various other forums. They should just tranq the brat for the duration of her visits to the HQ, and send her home after each episode. I can't believe after all the trouble she's caused in missions whenever she "goes with", they still let her tag along. And that's not counting the times she sneaked through the ground bridge.

Edited by GU-11

LOLWUT? Sideswipe is the next masterpiece? Since when! OMG, I've totally been oblivious to everything then! WOW, I'm really excited for this. Can those in the know how fill me in? Like release dates, etc.?

Thanks!

http://www.tfw2005.c...nounced-174574/

No release date or price yet. There's speculation that he might be the first of a batch of Masterpieces that are smaller in size. No proto pics, just some design art.

Edited by RD Blade

Megatron is pretty well sold out in my area, as are all the Deluxes that aren't Bumblebee. You can still find some Primes though.

transformers prime ratchet ... imho is the best personality and design ratchet ever had.

TF Prime Ratchet is a watered-down version of the grumpier, ornerier Animated version.

I went ahead and painted up PRID Megatron last weekend, I think he looks pretty snazzy now. (I'm pretty sure this level of shiny is actually inaccurate to the show model, but that's how I like my Megatrons to look).

6846356698_69659f4ee2_z.jpg

Prime RID megatron #5 by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

I also had my stupid-overpriced First edition optimus arrive today. He's pretty awesome, and I'm really glad I have it as long as i don't think about how much I actually payed for it too much. I kind of want to check out the PRID version though, just to see how different they are.

6846358662_434ec11b6c_z.jpg

transformers Prime Optimus and Megatron by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

Megatron looks great with the other Prime decepticons I've got so far.

6992486661_f46b9c26cc_z.jpg

Transformers Prime Decepticons by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

and Prime looks pretty good with the other Autobots, although he's a bit on the tall side comparatively.

6846360558_cb3b1c6af4_z.jpg

Transformers prime Autobots by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

TF Prime Ratchet is a watered-down version of the grumpier, ornerier Animated version.

but he looks way cooler, and he has giant robot scalpels for hands

Edited by anime52k8