The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

7 hours ago, lechuck said:

Not officially announced, but it seems MP Cliffjumper is coming.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/mp-cliffjumper-prototype.1217784/page-29#post-19446542

Thanks, @lechuck. I think this MP Cliffjumper prototype looks terrific, and I was happy to see it shared over on the other forum. Although MP-45 wasn't a perfect release for me, I am definitely in for a pre-order of this guy and I'm looking forward to learning about what to expect at retail. The chibi alt and the Choro-Q toy details (especially those wheels) are enough to get my attention, but it looks like the alt may even fit together better than Bee 2.0 and that would be really cool.

With regard to MP-45, I wasn't put off by the transformation, the backpack, or the feet at all. IMO, those are all superficial things. My copy did have paint chipping right out of the box, though, and that was a major bummer. I returned it and the second one was all right. When the quality is there, I think MP-21 and MP-45 are both a good fit to anyone's collection. 

Anyway, I do hope Takara has locked down the quality for Cliffy here. That will be a huge win for them (like their new Starscream) if they do.

10 hours ago, lechuck said:

Not officially announced, but it seems MP Cliffjumper is coming.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/mp-cliffjumper-prototype.1217784/page-29#post-19446542

Thanks for the heads up, I've been out of the TF loop for a while.  I'll get one just to have a transforming Choro Q toy.  However, if it's gonna be $120, I'm out.

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

I think this MP Cliffjumper prototype looks terrific

Really?  I mean, if you like it you win, but...

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

With regard to MP-45, I wasn't put off by the transformation, the backpack, or the feet at all.

OK, and I won't criticize those here.  Enough was said about them with Bumblebee.

The problem I have with this is that, even overlooking those things, it just doesn't look like Cliffjumper.  It looks like Bumblebee with different shoes, helmet, and a spoiler on his faux chest.  He's even got that same goofy happy face that Bee had.  IMHO, Cliffjumper should be a little thicker, and a little tougher than Bee.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Really?  I mean, if you like it you win, but...

Yep! Different opinions and all. I'm not going to apologize for mine and I won't ask anyone here to apologize for theirs.   

Is the prototype perfect? No. I didn't say that it was, either. It's early and obviously pieced together with what I guess were parts that they had lying around along with parts that show some remolding work. I mean, the legs and feet even have yellow and grey MP-45 pieces. It may even be part of some proof-of-concept sample. Given that we don't have any real information (just leaked photos), I do think it's terrific for what it is. The alt mode is already very close and I expect that the bot mode will be refined, which is why I'm looking forward to actual news of its development. 

I think it's way too early to call out the smiling face as a negative. Again, I am expecting that it will be refined some more. Myself, I have appreciated the emotive faces that Takara have included in their later G1 MP releases, and I wish Bee 2.0 had included a couple more for a total of five (given the price point). With any luck, Cliffjumper will have one or two extra faces and some nifty bonus add-ons.

Edited by technoblue

15 hours ago, technoblue said:

Yep! Different opinions and all. I'm not going to apologize for mine and I won't ask anyone here to apologize for theirs.

Sorry if I came off as overly negative with my previous reply.  I mean, honestly, if you like it then I'm happy it's coming and you can add it to your collection.  I was just caught off guard with how different our opinions are on this, because while I love the alt mode that robot mode looks really bad to me.  I'm definitely not replacing my MMC one with it (although, if it's not too expensive and too much of a pain to preorder, I might try to get Fans Toys).

But yeah, opinions.

Sorry if I came off as overly negative with my previous reply.  I mean, honestly, if you like it then I'm happy it's coming and you can add it to your collection.  I was just caught off guard with how different our opinions are on this, because while I love the alt mode that robot mode looks really bad to me.  I'm definitely not replacing my MMC one with it (although, if it's not too expensive and too much of a pain to preorder, I might try to get Fans Toys).

But yeah, opinions.

Likewise from start to finish. Well, other than the FT comment. I'm happy with my MMC. Still, all things being equal, I wouldn't mind a BB/CJ set that mirror their choro-Q alt modes at some point. I thought about the NA figs, but haven't bitten. But MP-45, and now this MP fig, if that proto is legit, nail the alts, but suffer too egregiously in bot mode for my liking.

But if it makes you happy, then that's fantastic.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

But yeah, opinions.

Thank you, Mike. I try to keep an open mind, which is why I don’t put up too much of a fuss. At the end of the day, I hope we are all enjoying this hobby.

Back on topic: 

Yeah, I’m excited about Takara’s official Cliffjumper release. The green prototype’s bot mode is rough, for sure. It looks like Takara is focusing on alt mode first (and that’s okay) but I hope that alt mode accuracy isn’t getting prioritized at the cost of bot mode accuracy. We’ve seen just that happen in older MP releases and I gotta admit I am a little worried that Takara could slide back into bad habits. Ideally, what I would like to see as this inches closer to retail is a nice balance between the two modes.

With regard to the third-party options…

I still hesitate when it comes to FansToys, and that causes me to miss most of their preorders. Parkour looks good, but it is only a render at this point. All FansToys renders look good, even Rouge looked good as a render.

I won’t be selling my copy of MMC’s Helion as he is most excellent. I’m still debating whether or not to pick up the alternative color release, though. 

I let go of XTB Toro some time ago, so no XTB Cliffy for me anymore.

I don't mean to derail, but with all the new figs showing up at retail, has anyone who POed through Pulse received shipping notices for anything? I sure haven't.  One would think POed items would ship before they start hitting shelves, but apparently our paid membership's privileges only go so far.<_<

It's really ridiculous how different two stores in the same chain can be.  My local Walmart?  They have a few wave 1 Kingdom Deluxes spread across two pegs, and the rest of the two-foot section they have for Transformers is empty.  And those empty spots are tagged for nothing bigger than a Voyager.  But, drive another 15 minutes east down US Route 30 and you'll come across another Walmart.  This Walmart has four feet for Transformers, and is better stocked with a mix of Kingdom, Studio Series, and Cyberverse.  It's at this Walmart that I found Studio Series Grindor and Studio Series 86 Slag a couple days ago.  And then this past Sunday, on my way to take my family to Idlewild Park, I found Kingdom Commander-class Rodimus Prime.

20210814_231057.jpg.0efb13ccfd810d94d1afb37c592947ef.jpg

It's kind of funny... as a kid I loved Hot Rod after seeing the movie.  He was the cool guy, turned into a cool car, and was the hero of the story, right?  And Rodimus Prime was the a boring old fuddy with the lame camper mode that replaced my cartoon dad, so I hated him.  35 years later and I can see that, despite being the guy that actually got Optimus killed, Hot Rod's had plenty of (official) toys since the original... a Targetmaster, a tiny Micromaster that came with Star Convoy, Classics (and several repaints of Classics), Alternators, the American version of MP-09, MP-28, MP-40, Cloud, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Animated, Bayverse, Cyberverse... technically in Japan Hot Shot was Hot Rod.  But Rodimus Prime?  Turns out I love the Space Winnebago, but versions of him are few and far between.  He shared MP-08 with Hot Rod, then there was the Titanium figure.  I'm counting Power of the Primes as Rodimus; the whole evolutions gimmick implies that it's also Hot Rod, but the face looks more like Rodimus, he scales better as Rodimus when put with War for Cybertron Trilogy figures, and he doesn't have the visible engine that other Hot Rod toys have.  I guess there was Energon Rodimus, too, but he's not a camper. But I digress.  The point is, opportunities for a toy that's Rodimus Prime and not Hot Rod are few and far between, so I was really excited we were getting one in the WFC Trilogy, and even more so when I saw how good Studio Series 86 Hot Rod turned out.

Aesthetically, HasTak did not disappoint.  Although he's got a number of similarities, he's not simply SS86 Hot Rod embiggened.  The head has sharper lines, a protruding chin, and a scowl that replaces Hot Rod's youthful optimism with the world-weary face of an Autobot commander who's not in the mood for Decepticon shenanigans.  Thicker limbs, extra line work over much of his body, bigger pipes on his forearms, and a torso that kind of inverts Hot Rod's flat chest and tapered abs to a tapered chest and flat abs all work together to convey a sense of a bot who grew up, quick slacking, and took charge.

Next to the smaller PotP robot and the G1 toy you can see lots of improvements.  Movie-accurate gray hands, more black on his boots, no visible wheels on his boots, and all-around better proportions.

20210814_231523.jpg.facd03535b16f8aefd7dbb05e2436e3c.jpg

Just in case you need to see it, here he is with the bigger PotP Rodimus...

20210814_231950.jpg.73ea21b826370ae0cea33ff4a7fb7f3c.jpg

...and here he is with his rival, Kingdom Galvatron, and his younger self, Studio Series 86 Hot Rod.  And it's this picture that's going to have you thinking, "hey, he's smaller than a Leader-class that was already barely half a head taller than a Voyager!" (he is, in fact, about the same height as Optimus or Megatron).  "How do they justify calling this guy Commander-class and charging us $80?"

20210815_000641.jpg.13e88c8e724d2edf2064ab35f3f88e2c.jpg

Accessories, my friend, that's how.  And you get a ton of them.  There's a trailer, which as you'll see is bigger than you probably realize.  There's the cannon that was inside the G1 toy's trailer, this time removable with faux treads molded onto it.  You get a tray.  You get his signature rifle, and a sword from the IDW Regeneration One series (despite the hilt being gold in the comics), ten effects parts, and yet another Matrix.

20210814_232721.jpg.59e8c2a768a52be4c2ab805f1aa737d5.jpg

Ok, so Rodimus' head is on a ball joint.  He can look up, and despite his helmet and popped collar he actually has some decent downward and sideways tilt in addition to the standard swivel.  His shoulders can rotate and extend about 60 degrees laterally before his shoulders start banging into his head.  Unfortunately, like Hot Rod the joint for lateral movement is in his chest, on the wrong side of the swivel, so he doesn't get much lateral movement when his arm is raised.  However, unlike Hot Rod, he's got a bit more of a butterfly joint, which helps him fake that lateral movement.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows are actually double-jointed and bend nearly 180 degrees.  Just be aware that the upper joint is above the bicep swivel.  He's got wrist swivels, and very articulated hands for his size.  They're pinned at the base knuckle, with an additional hinge at the middle knuckle, plus the index finger is a separate piece from the other two.  That's right, people, we have a mainline figure that can point!  I don't even think the Titans can do that.  Moving on, his waist swivels, his hips can move over 90 degrees forward, just a bit backward, and about 60 degrees laterally.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend over 90 degrees on a double hinge that's only limited by his massive calves colliding with his thighs.  His feet can tilt up quite a bit, just a little down (but his toe can tilt down due to his transformation until it folds over his heel), and his ankles pivot about 60 degrees.

Although his fingers are articulated, his thumbs are still fixed and his palm is cut into a 5mm port, so he can hold his sword or his rifle without issue.  The rifle (and his pipes) have the tiny nubs for effects parts.

20210814_232843.jpg.c445fd6c19f60d255b1c28a88dc980ef.jpg

Additionally, he's got a 5mm port on either side of his backpack, on his back, on the back of either calf, and under each heel you can use for storage.  The rifle even folds in half, and the sword has a flip-out peg in the hilt.

20210814_232135.jpg.ea0e5a6298c63e5ff8506252929dfdfe.jpg

As for the Matrix, unlike Hot Rod Rodimus' chest actually opens and you can store it inside.  Or, like Hot Rod, you can have him hold it and one of the effects parts he comes with fits over the Matrix so it can "glow."  It's a different glow effect than Hot Rod's, but I can't find Hot Rod's to compare it with.  Just not sure where I put his extra accessories.

Weirdly, although it looks the same as the ones that came with Prime, Galvatron, and Hot Rod, Rodimus' Matrix is slightly different.  It has a smaller hole on the back that isn't 5mm compatible.  I did check, though... Prime/Galvatron/Hot Rod's Matrix still fits into Rodimus' chest, and Rodimus' Matrix still fits into Optimus' chest.

20210814_232510.jpg.bf39e98b1466039ba3f86c2c7e311d6c.jpg

The big cannon is also compatible with blast effects.  Unlike the G1 toy, this one actually has handles that you can fit into Rodimus' hands.  In addition to the three 5mm ports in the cannon barrels there's one on each side of the base structure, near the upper hinge.  It looks like there's another near the bottom, but it's a screw hole and it's bigger than 5mm.

20210814_225418.jpg.f261d546071dee677c34c4cd101a0378.jpg

Speaking of the big gun, The instructions show that you can plug it into the top of Rodimus' trailer.  Indeed there's three holes on the top of the trailer, one on each side of the trailer just under the flames, and three on the sides of the trailer between the wheels.  Of course, you can also open the the trailer like the G1 version, and plug it inside.  While there's one specific peg hole that works for that, there's actually a total of 35 more 5mm peg holes in there!  There's room enough to plug the sword in and close the trailer.  Alas, I can't find any way to peg his rifle into the wall of the trailer and have it close.

20210814_222613.jpg.e1bc142e15b4d3978f942fb1cb5d709c.jpg

Some of the effects parts have dedicated storage.  In the tray, there's spots for the black "smoke" parts and the slots for the Matrix glow.  There's also some 5mm ports inside, but nothing you can really plug into them if you want to slide the tray into place on the underside of the trailer.  That said, if you don't mind them rattling around loose, I toss the three smaller blast effect parts in there.

20210814_223931.jpg.70e8fc60a11738ee91291ef63f67627c.jpg

A compartment on the front can contain all but the largest of the rest of the effect parts.

20210814_223943.jpg.af0835091ff7151e3a10d922b2ff1b09.jpg

On the back, the trailer door can lift up (with some really nice metal piston hinges).  Then you can fold out a ramp, with the WfC-style base connector at the bottom.  If the trailer is empty, you can drive an Autobot car up in there.  If you have the big cannon inside, though, there's just a little room behind it.  You can toss in (again, loose) the last blast effect and the folded-up rifle.

20210814_224952.jpg.e9233fd391a067e906c2b9647e05201f.jpg

Simply opening the sides of the trailer might not be enough, since the back of the G1 trailer went with it.  So, yeah, the back of the trailer folds down when the sides are open.  Be careful to try to leave the ramp folded up when you fold the back down, though, so it can clear the top of the back, then you can fold it down over the back.  Now, with the cannon plugged in but unfolded, you've got something akin to the G1 toy's battle platform.  Even still, though, although the instructions don't really mention it, you can even flip open the front of the trailer, too.  This will expose anything you put in the little compartment.  It'll also give you access to four more peg holes.

20210814_222452.jpg.5a9cacd66c65f3725759dd12b98c6edc.jpg

Much like the PotP toy, Rodimus eschew's the G1 toy's cab-with-legs alt mode for something that looks like a complete vehicle on its own.  Despite some similarities (the rear wing folding up and spinning around to sit over the canopy on his back in bot mode, panels that unfold from his arm then spin around with the pipes to cover over his hands in alt mode, the rear wheels and pipes unfurling from inside his calves, etc) the transformation and engineering is actually pretty different.  This time, there's no faux chest; Rodimus' hood really does form his robot chest.  It takes a little more effort to get his arms into the right position, too, and he's got some clearance issues getting the rear tires in and out of his calves.  Nothing too serious, though.

20210814_222508.jpg.f3ece6637fb16bd7ebd00f947f8dad17.jpg

While MP-08 and PotP Rodimus tried to pass off the trailer-less car as actually being Hot Rod, Rodimus Prime seems to be based on a scene from an episode (although I'm not sure which one, but the screenshot is readily available on the Googles) where Rodimus Prime detached from his trailer.  Like the... questionable animation, this detached Rodimus sits higher off the ground than Hot Rod, and he lacks the visible engine.  HasTak went a bit further, even, elongating the canopy window and replacing the sleek downward curve of Hot Rod's rear with a raised section with molded vents.  I'm not sure I'd call it a truck, but it's definitely not a sports car.

20210814_223551.jpg.3228265b51699c536f7c3c403e4b3240.jpg

Detached Rodimus has a pair of peg holes on the sides behind the canopy and one on top of his spoiler where you can mount things like his sword and gun.  The black smoke effects (that probably should have been flames?) have a notch cut out so they fit right onto the pipes along side the vehicle.  Oh, and while you can store the sword in one of the 5mm ports, there's actually a pair of notches in the blade.  These notches grab onto tiny tabs under the car, near the 5mm ports that were on his calves.  Not that it looks any better there, as the hilt and handle will still stick out behind the car.  Oh, and it probably goes without saying that none of those storage options work with the trailer attached.

20210814_222224.jpg.7aaf10980a4f22070b939a8b7f1614c6.jpg

And attaching that trailer is like the main event!  I think I've shown off the trailer enough that I don't need to do another around-the-vehicle collage.  Trailered up, you can see that Rodimus is kind of huge, longer and taller than the G1 toy or even the PotP version by quite a bit.  The trailer is, aesthetically, much closer to the G1 cartoon/toy (that bit or red along the orange trim is apparently cartoon accurate).  I might make a minor complaint out of the all-black wheels; you'd think for a Commander-class price tag they could have at least painted the rims.  However, the biggest issue I'll take with this mode (aesthetically) is that the the cab is ridiculously long.  While the inconsistent animation *cough AKOM cough* sometimes had the cab drawn longer, it seems pretty clear that the cab-to-trailer proportions were supposed to be like the G1 toy's.  Is this a side effect of making the cab/car being able to stand on its own?  Honestly, if the backpack with the spoiler could have double hinged to cover some of the canopy, and HasTak ditched the storage tray to make more room for his legs under the trailer, I think you could have had less of the cab sticking out.  But I'm not a toy designer, what do I know?  Aside from the unpainted rims and the too-long/protruding cab I think Rodimus looks really good.

20210814_224709.jpg.a81749beb7adf9dc43b9eeef7d839587.jpg

I've already showed you all the compartments and places you can stow and stash his accessories on the trailer.  But if you don't want to stow, the smoke effects fit on the trailer's pipes, and blast effects can fit onto two ports the tray added to the rear of the trailer.

You might notice a little seam where the rear isn't sitting entirely flush.  This leans me to my final but biggest complaint with this figure.  When everything lines up just right, and you squeeze the trailer and hold it shut for awhile, it's all good.  Everything will close up perfectly.  Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, you're not going to get everything lined up just right, and the sides of the trailer are going to pop open.  From what I've seen it's a fairly widespread issue, and it's not one that I have a solution for yet.

20210814_233505.jpg.f3339c80f9f57a4b58c8b6fea6eae676.jpg

Rodimus Prime is not a perfect figure.  He's got some of the shoulder articulation issues SS86 Hot Rod has.  I wish there was a little more paint on the rims.  The cab sticks out too far from the trailer.  There are a few clearance or tolerance issues folding the wheels out of his legs, docking the car too the trailer, and keeping the trailer closed up.  However, Rodimus is still an excellent figure, with a ton of accessories that let you recreate the original toy's play pattern but also go beyond it with more doors, more accessories, more options, and more articulation, all in a package you'll actually transform more than once, unlike MP-09, in a package that's more expensive than most mainline figures but still way below MP-09 in price.  Honestly, yes, I think Rodimus justifies his price tag.  On his own he might seem like a Voyager-ish figure, but he's got a level of complexity, parts count, and (for me) personal engagement that makes him stand above Jetfire or Sky Lynx.  Really, if this is what a Commander-class budget gets us give me a Commander-class Optimus with a more proportional, better painted, better equipped trailer or a Commander-class Ultra Magnus with a better cab robot and a more accurate trailer to armor him up with.  But for now, pick up Rodimus Prime.  He's up there with Earthrise Prime and Kingdom Cyclonus as figures that shouldn't be missed.

2 hours ago, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

I don't mean to derail, but with all the new figs showing up at retail, has anyone who POed through Pulse received shipping notices for anything? I sure haven't.  One would think POed items would ship before they start hitting shelves, but apparently our paid membership's privileges only go so far.<_<

Nope.  I've complained about this already.  I've canceled the entire third wave of Kingdom, minus the Ark, because I found all the figures somewhere else.  Even for G2 Ramjet, which was Pulse-exclusive and due to ship on the first, all I've got was an email saying it was delayed and would ship on the 16th.  And the 16th was yesterday; I still haven't got a ship notice for it.  Wreck-Gar is supposedly out in the wild now, too, although that one I have preordered (and unfulfilled) with Amazon.

3 hours ago, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

One would think POed items would ship before they start hitting shelves

That hardly seems like a realistic expectation.  Retailers are Hasbro's primary customers, so of course they take priority.

It's all about buying power.

I'm not sure I'd call it a truck, but it's definitely not a sports car.

I'd call it a station wagon, if it had more windows. A perfect fit for the mature, responsible 80s grownup that Rodimus is (trying hard to be).

I'm impressed overall, though. Rodimus doesn't normally do much for me, but if I happen to see this one on shelves through some miracle, I'll probably pick him up.

(I also like the beefy proportions of Primes Rodimus, though they aren't accurate to anything. I did not pick that one up, however, as the engineering was a mess.)

8 hours ago, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

Like @mikeszekely, I’ve cancelled most of my Pulse preorders. I still use the site for selects releases and other exclusives that pop up and catch my interest but that’s about it.

Added to which, all I need to do is walk through the local super market to see how messed up logistics have been for the last year and a half, and the situation is still dire. Like Mike’s Walmart example, I can speak to similar examples just trying to buy food and other basic necessities in my local area (no bananas one week, no lettuce the next). Oh well, I’ve come to accept that toys are not a high priority. 

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I was starting to wonder. Anyway, I'm patient, and these reviews are nice for for whetting the appetite, so to speak, and also informing on the positives and the negatives. As for Rodimus, like JBO, I'm kinda take him or leave him; he's not usually a character I feel I need to have. However, I like toys, and this is a well done toy of the character that offers more than pretty much any previous release. I do wish, however, that they'd employed some similar shoulder articulation as the excellent Cyclonus. All things considered, he's certainly better than the PotP version, which I have, as well as the MP version, which I don't. I don't mind the alt mode interpretation; he's traded in his sportscar  younger alt mode for something a little more mature (station wagon- so apropos!:lol:).  Speaking of a more mature character, I think they may have gone a little overboard with those huge bags under his eyes- his face gained more planes to convey having aged a bit, but he didn't go from 17 to 70 in the space of the time it took Optimus to say, "Arise Rodimus Prime". Alas, it is what it is. It won't stop me from enjoying him when he finally arrives.

As for distro, my local Wally, just two miles down the road, barely got anything Transformers well before the pandemic had its effect. I just don't think they order stuff. The second closest Wally, where I worked for a few months many years ago, continues to be , generally, better stocked and with a better variety of figures across classes and lines. Ironically, my Wally is a SuperWally, while the one I worked is the smallest Walmart in Spokane. Go figure. Beyond toys, my Wally has been pretty good about keeping the necessities in stock, for the most part. They, too, suffered the typical shortages that stores everywhere suffered at the onset of the pandemic, but they've since recovered from the initial madness, and have been able to keep stuff like TP, towels, hand sanitizer, etc in stock for months without issue, not to mention fresh produce, dairy, and food in general. In fact, I'm taking my mom-in-law out there in a couple of hours. I check the toy aisles every time I go, but I'm generally met with the same empty, or nearly empty, pegs and shelves in the TF section every week. Sometimes they surprise me, though, but those times are few and far between.:(

9 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

20210814_231057.jpg.0efb13ccfd810d94d1afb37c592947ef.jpg

20210814_222452.jpg.5a9cacd66c65f3725759dd12b98c6edc.jpg

20210814_222224.jpg.7aaf10980a4f22070b939a8b7f1614c6.jpg

To me these pics illustrate the tendency for main line Transformers toys have drastically better bot modes these days but at the expense of the alt modes.

Instead of, you know, using 30 years of improved techniques, tricks of the trade, computer aided design, etc to make both better.

I guess if you want both you go for the MPs.

i really don't want to like that rodimus.  i'm a rodimus hater afterall.  lol.  other thatn the headsculpt being off to my eye, aesthetically its a very good rodimus prime.  i wish optimus or magnus had gotten his budget instead.  earthrise optimus' trailer is an embarrassing in stock form and perhaps the main bot woulda got the right colors on the legs with the right budget.   i may cave again (i PD'd then cancelled) on rodimus.  i can't see it being more or better play value (for me) than siege jetfire though (maybe my favorite wfc release).

i also  just caved and order the sorta half assed kingdom magnus because its still "better" than the siege and even the BPF version because well, its got the right truck cab and inner bot..  again i wish they gave him the commander budget so he'd havea  better trailer/armor more like his g1 self.

as far as takara's mp cliffjumper....its using a base mold from bumblebee which i dislike to no small degree...i'll stick with the old mp-21 bumblebee and the 3P XTB offering from cliffjumper (he was always "done" in my mind at that point).

as for distrubution....i think i've only bought a handful of TF stuff brick and mortar in the past couple years (partially pandemic avoidance of crowds, partially shittily stocked stores).  i do need to make it to a target at some point for the buzzworthy origins bumblebee.

Easy pass on MP Cliffy, being based on 2.0 Bee nails that for me, I really thoroughly dislike the chibi alt mode, and honestly bot mode too, I like my alt modes as realistic as possible. I'm once again glad I was buying in on third party back when a lot of those options were available, I got the X-Transbots and haven't looked back, the bot mode isn't perfect, but the alt mode is aces, and looks great next to the original MP Bee. Cool for those interested though, Takara needs to get off their asses and make more bots that they haven't done yet, chill out on the 2.0 and 3.0 figures. Especially mini-bots, everyone needs more mini-bots. 

On 8/16/2021 at 1:21 AM, technoblue said:

Thanks, @lechuck. I think this MP Cliffjumper prototype looks terrific, and I was happy to see it shared over on the other forum. Although MP-45 wasn't a perfect release for me, I am definitely in for a pre-order of this guy and I'm looking forward to learning about what to expect at retail. The chibi alt and the Choro-Q toy details (especially those wheels) are enough to get my attention, but it looks like the alt may even fit together better than Bee 2.0 and that would be really cool.

I'm in too, love that tail-light gun feature! I think it's good that Cliffjumper is utilising the base structure of MP-45, because that means he is going to be a fun and poseable little bugger. Also looking forward to the reveal of all his accessories, maybe the antenna and gun to attach on his bonnet or even better his glass gas setup - would be a nice tie-in with MP-55 Nightbird. :D

On 8/16/2021 at 1:21 AM, technoblue said:

With regard to MP-45, I wasn't put off by the transformation, the backpack, or the feet at all. IMO, those are all superficial things. My copy did have paint chipping right out of the box, though, and that was a major bummer. I returned it and the second one was all right. When the quality is there, I think MP-21 and MP-45 are both a good fit to anyone's collection. 

Anyway, I do hope Takara has locked down the quality for Cliffy here. That will be a huge win for them (like their new Starscream) if they do.

Never shared any of the issues others had with MP-45, transformation is a tiny bit fiddly, but nothing that is irritating or aggravating. My biggest contention point is how the folded rear bumper hinders the range of waist swivel and that I can never get his gun to tab in the hand properly.

17 hours ago, technoblue said:

Yeah, I’m excited about Takara’s official Cliffjumper release. The green prototype’s bot mode is rough, for sure. It looks like Takara is focusing on alt mode first (and that’s okay) but I hope that alt mode accuracy isn’t getting prioritized at the cost of bot mode accuracy. We’ve seen just that happen in older MP releases and I gotta admit I am a little worried that Takara could slide back into bad habits. Ideally, what I would like to see as this inches closer to retail is a nice balance between the two modes.

I wouldn't be worried about bot mode, I mean this image already speaks volumes.

IMG_2369.jpg.568044ac8495eeb7bf29845b92f3e1a9.jpg

On the right is a nicely proportioned - still in prototype stage - robot which will correctly transform into the super deformed car. On the left you have clumsy looking super deformed robot which will incorrectly transform into a properly proportioned car. I know which side I want to be on. 

Options are good, b/c opinions vary. 

Just checked my email; lo and behold, my Red Alert is also shipping from Pulse. Kinda odd when I've had eight other Kingdom/SS86 figs POed for some time now, and this guy, a more recent PO, is shipping already. WTF is going on with Hasbro's distro?

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Kinda odd when I've had eight other Kingdom/SS86 figs POed for some time now, and this guy, a more recent PO, is shipping already. WTF is going on with Hasbro's distro?

I don't think Red Alert was actually a preorder. I think we ordered in-stock, and it just took them until today to start shipping.

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

I wouldn't be worried about bot mode, I mean this image already speaks volumes.

Agree. The one on the left looks so much better.😋

Canada apparently got Red Alert first; Ebay is showing several listings out of there with him in Hand, a few from overseas.  LazyEyebrow has an early review up, not his typical stop-motion ones though.  Why Hasbro do some figures get premium paint application while others in the same mold get the most basic?  Spin-Out/Red Alert compared to Sunstreaker/Sideswipe.

4 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Hey, I meant to ask, is anyone else going to see the '86 movie in theaters? I got my ticket. I ordered the Matt Ferguson x Transformers ringer tee from Zavvi to wear to it.

If I could go back to the very theater I watched it in, in 86'; I would be all over it.  Sadly that mall has completely closed; doubt that it will be showing anywhere near me, will have to check.

1 hour ago, Wolf-1 said:

If I could go back to the very theater I watched it in, in 86'; I would be all over it.  Sadly that mall has completely closed; doubt that it will be showing anywhere near me, will have to check.

The mall I saw it at (the Westmoreland Mall in Greensburg, PA) is still around, but the theater in the mall closed and a bigger one was opened behind the mall.  But I think that theater is still closed due to COVID.

Anyway, you'd be surprised.  I thought I might have to go to a theater in downtown Pittsburgh, or near the waterfront, but I found one not too far from me.  Go here, search for Transformers, put in your town, and see what comes up.

Appreciate the link!  If it had been in Cape Girardeau I would have driven the distance and hunted the Walmarts, Walgreens and Target along the way.  They're showing the closest destinations as all out of state; at that distance I'd have better luck going north to StL, same mileage and better shopping attempts. 

We have a multiplex here but they so seldom show any of the "special showings" offered in theaters nowadays.  

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Hey, I meant to ask, is anyone else going to see the '86 movie in theaters? I got my ticket. I ordered the Matt Ferguson x Transformers ringer tee from Zavvi to wear to it.

I did a few years ago, last time it was in theaters. Still have the folded miniposter they gave out with it. 

Don't think I'll be doing it again this year, though it WAS a pleasing experience.

I would love to watch TFTM again in theaters.  The last time I watched it was with my wife and the theater had a special screening of TFTM and GI Joe The Movie.  My wife fell asleep during GI Joe The Movie.

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I think I might; one of the theaters in the Northtown Mall in downtown Spokane is showing it. I've never seen TF:TM in a theater, so it'd be a neat experience. I just watched my old DVD yesterday. Man that soundtrack, especially the Stan Bush songs, still grabs ya.   "And you can win if you Dare!" :wub::lol:

3 minutes ago, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

I think I might; one of the theaters in the Northtown Mall in downtown Spokane is showing it. I've never seen TF:TM in a theater, so it'd be a neat experience. I just watched my old DVD yesterday. Man that soundtrack, especially the Stan Bush songs, still grabs ya.   "And you can win if you Dare!" :wub::lol:

John Farnham is the only other song writer to really compete, as far as catchy, "uplifting", 80's rock soundtracks go.  Rad; Break the Ice and Thunder In Your Heart.  Oddly enough, both films have direct ties to Sly Stallone's works.