The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

So, after making my 'not over-engineered' statement, I realized I'd never transformed him back into car mode after my initial transformation to bot. I had, however, done the switchover with his car mode. So, I transformed him back to car mode last night, and found myself getting a little befuddled when trying to figure out the proper configuration for those little chrome bits behind the chrome intakes. I think I got it (should have checked instructions, but Ha! instructions:rolleyes:.) So I'll amend my earlier smug comment to say, maybe not over-engineered, as I like how the bot itself transforms and those arms are absolutely brilliant, but some of the small rotating bits on the backpack can be challenging to determine their proper positions depending on the mode. I was also a little bummed when I had to remove his hidden calf gun to transform him (I'd hoped that'd be an integrated feature, but apparently not).  As for the legs, I dig how Takara got all the various panels to rotate and align as they do. One of my side mirrors hung up and fell off while I was transforming him, and I had a bit of a challenge getting it reinstalled to where it would allow the window to rotate properly, but once I got it, it all went together well. There are a lot of moving parts on this figure, and I can understand the argument to simplify some of the transformation by eliminating some of those panels. I don't mind the panels; I get perturbed when there are clearance issues with all those panels, when things get hung up, won't align, etc, that suck the joy out of the process, and thus out of the toy. The doors and the backpack have some issues along these lines, but not to the point of absolute frustration; I think if I transform Sunstreaker more often, much like MP Megatron, the process will become smoother. The issue for me is that I don't transform my figures very often; I display my figs in bot mode, and rarely handle them , so my familiarity wanes over time. Both Megatron and Sunstreaker are fairly complex figures, so, in my case, with my goldfish memory impeding progress with every step, I need to handle them more frequently. But I think both, even with all their many moving bits, are really amazing designs from an engineering perspective, and, with a practiced hand, they come together wonderfully in both modes.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Oh for sure Sunstreaker is a marvel of toy engineering, so many small parts with tight tolerances that have to be assembled in large scale production and stand up to potential years of transformations. It's crazy to think toys have come this far from the simple stuff we had when transformers first aired.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, dizman said:

Oh for sure Sunstreaker is a marvel of toy engineering, so many small parts with tight tolerances that have to be assembled in large scale production and stand up to potential years of transformations. It's crazy to think toys have come this far from the simple stuff we had when transformers first aired.

Totally agree. And to that end, I wonder how much further toy tech can go with this sort of toy. I'd love to see engineering and technology continue to progress, so in twenty years, today's best Transformers will look simple and antiquated, much as our 80's and 90's toys look to us now. The one thing I do hope will remain is the need to manually transform them, as it's the hands-on puzzle aspect of these figures that has given them their charm and unique place among toys. To have that feature fully automated at some point would greatly diminish the allure and enjoyment of them, IMHO.

Edit: So after passing on PotP Jazz several times, I came across him once again at Target, and just said 'F' it. While he's still CWish, esp the legs, I like what they did with his upper torso, and how the panels for his head to slide through for transformation fold up to fill in the area under his chest. I was going to hold out for a possible repaint, perhaps Crasher?, but there's no guarantee of any repaint, so I got him out of fear of missing out on a potentially fun figure. I'm glad I did, b/c he is a fun figure. Both modes look great to me- really like his car mode. Overall deco and paint are pretty good, except they didn't paint his tail lights. They applied red paint to his bumper, but not there. The other paint omission is the vent area that's part of his flip out foot piece that fills in the gap between his shin vents and his toe- it should be silver, too, but it's just the white plastic of his foot showing through. I've given thought to busting out my model paints and rectifying a couple of these oversights, but my care factor is off-scale low, so I likely won't bother. However, at face value, for a mass retail TF, I think he's a fun figure with a pleasing alt mode, as well as a heroic-looking and very poseable bot mode that does a good homage of G1 Jazz without being a clone. The bonus is that he is also a combiner.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Found this over TagHobby. Star Wars Transformers Millennium Falcon for Y14800. June 2018 release.

Don't want to create a new thread so I'm just going to post it here. ^_^

This one looks good than the previous announced Transformers Darth Vader figure. So good, I might get one. ;) 

tt180601.jpg

tt180601d.jpg

tt180604.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

I have the original Millennium Falcon Transformer, which also split into Han and Chewie, and it was neat for what it was, but it lacked the sharp detail of this new mold. Great improvement to the Falcon's exterior, and Chewie's bot mode looks awesome overall. Han's is so-so; it doesn't really scream Han to me. I think the original did a better job with Han.

Anyway, cool update that looks like it employs some nifty transformation. Han looks a little kibbly next to Chewie, though. Guess it can't be helped.

Edit: Suddenly, Sunstreaker's looking pretty svelte. :p Baby got back...pack.1518122185-wave-2-deluxes-10.jpg

Some in-hand pics of the PotP wave 2 deluxes popped up on Seibertron.com.  https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-hand-images-of-power-of-the-primes-sludge-snarl-rippersnapper-moonracer-and-blackwing/40628/

Still looking forward to completing the dinos, as well as picking up Rippersnapper and Moonracer, even if she is channeling Quasimodo a bit there.  :unknw:

Edited by M'Kyuun

For anyone who's interested the PO for the Star Wars Transformers Millennium Falcon is now available.

HLJ for Y11840
https://hlj.com/product/TKT97495

AmiAmi for Y11300
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-036830

Nippon-Yasan for Y10280
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/24017-star-wars-transformers-02-millennium-falcon.html

HobbySearch for Y12580
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10517063

CDJapan for Y11100
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-268578

Here's the specs for this figure:

Millennium Falcon: 18cm wide, 7cm tall, 24cm deep

Han Solo Robot: 19cm tall, 14.5cm  wide, 11cm deep

Chewbacca Robot: 18cm tall, 17cm wide, 8.6cm deep

Funny that Han Robot is taller than Chewy Robot by 1cm. ^_^ 

Today I'm a happy camper because I received MP-12+. And oh boy is it better quality wise than my first release. The red paint is without any defects. The white painted shoulder cannon and thighs are a nice touch. Something is different about the face so it is not lost in the helmet. Not sure if it is a different head sculpt, because of the different color or both but it looks better.

Compared to Sunstreaker who was in the same box it looks dated as hell but I'm glad I spent the extra money on this copy. I will replace the old one with the MP-12+ and the original will be added to my desk toys at the office.

I still don't understand why people prefer the hollow wheels on their Masterpiece toys but I guess after so many releases it is a hallmark of this line so they probably won't change them.

went to my local Wally this morning to pick up the usual odd and end and to see if they had any of the PotP wave 2 figs, and walked away with Hun-Gurr (after about 20 minutes of mulling), Tailgate, Battleslash and Roadtrap. The latter two were who I really wanted, along with Moonracer and Rippersnapper (they had no wave 2 deluxes), and I didn't think I was going to be able to buy them as they weren't loaded at all in Walmart's system. However, a CSS came to my rescue, took me to an unoccupied cashier, and had her do a dept override, allowing me to bring my legends class figs home. 

So on to the figs- Hun-grrr wasn't really on my list, and out of the box, I think he could have been better with a few minor changes. Alas, he is what he is, and I got him simply for the fact that the last time I held a figure in my hands (TR Blitzwing), I put him back, and haven't seen him since, and now I want to get him. So, to eliminate that future dilemma, I just said 'F-it' and got him. At least now, once I get the other Predacons, I'll have the whole team to combine them. Anyway, this is one of the rare occasions where I think the G1 figure's alt looked better than the update. But, this new figure makes up for that with articulation- lots of it, and I always value the bot mode over the alt- well, nearly always. The feet, which of course become his double dragon heads, can pivot fore and aft as well as rocking in and out, giving him some really great potential for more extreme poses. Moreover, the upper and lower jaws can articulate independently,  so the feet can adjust to uneven terrain.  The rest of the articulation is pretty much par for the course except he has no waist swivel. He comes with no gun- just the two pink combiner feet which have gunlike protrusions in the mold. The feet-guns can attach to his bot forearms, which become the bulky lower back legs. I put them on him, they somewhat cover the awkward look of his bot arms trying to be animal back legs. I wish they'd made them attach at the shoulder, as I think that would have served the look better. What he really needs is a set of  beefier front legs and a bit of Wierdwolf's leg transformation applied to the arms to give him a more realistic animal look. Alas, it is what it is, and since Hun-grrr is pretty low on my list of interesting characters, I'm not too plussed.

Onward to Battleslash and Roadtrap, who, for those who don't know, combine to form Battletrap. As updates go, this one is pretty well executed, IMHO. As legends sized figures, both are a bit more complex than we normally see at this scale (Normally I eschew the instructions with a healthy dose of smugness, but I had to humbly consult on both of these). Of the two, Roadtrap in his truck mode makes for the more convincing alt over Battleslash's chunky helicopter. Unfortunately, two of the wheels on my Roadtrap are too tight and only spin on carpeting or some other surface with sufficient friction, and the clearance is very minimal for Battleslash's rotor, which snags on his cockpit every time I try to spin it. Those qualms aside, in bot mode, both are well articulated for figs of this size, Roadtrap enjoying a bit more up and down foot articulation due to transformation.  The majority of limb joints are ball joints, while trans-joints are generally pinned. Combined into Battletrap, he stands almost as tall as a standard deluxe ( just a few mm shorter than PotP Jazz, for comparison) He locks together really well and they did some neat engineering in Roadtrap to align a swingarm trans-linkage with his hip ball joint to allow it to become the kneejoint for the larger bot. Both rotate at the same axis, and give some necessary friction to the knee and structural integrity to the combined mode leg. It's lovely. Battleslash's legs simply form Battletrap's arms with no cool engineering involved, beyond the transformational origami to get them from a hip to shoulder orientation. The final product, though, is a really fun little figure with a lot of poseability, even a waist swivel courtesy of Roadtrap's head forming the connection point. From a nostalgia POV, I barely remember the G1 toys, as they were so incredibly devoid of poseability; this figure is a worthy successor, and despite the concessions to alt modes, esp Battletrap's almost chibi neo-combat helicopter mode, the fun factor of this little guy makes up for it in spades.  One caveat, following the recent trend, neither Battleslash nor Roadtrap come with guns. I'm wondering if Hasbro are omitting them for cost cutting, or if it's an attempt to scale back the 'war'  aspect of these figures in light of real world events affecting kids.  Of the new Dinobots, only Slag and Sludge have guns, and out of all my legends class figs from the last 2-3 years, including the Insecticons and Gnaw, only Seaspray came with a gun, of sorts, despite the fact that nearly all of these characters have had guns in previous incarnations, and in the old cartoon. 

Digression aside, seeing how Battletrap turned out, I hope they make the other Duocon, Flywheels, at some point, as well as releasing both sets of Clones.

8 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I checked my local Target and Walmart, but they didn't have any wave 2 stuff. I just want the Dinobots and Terrorcons.

They did have TR Blitzwing in the clearance, though. If you still want him for cost + shipping I'll grab one for you, @M'Kyuun

That would be great, Mike. Just PM me on the payment details. If you have Paypal, that'd be great. The gesture alone is most appreciated. 

Terrorcons- for some reason, I erroneously said Predacons in my previous post concerning Rippersnapper and Hun-grrr. However, I guess Predacons have been teased by Hasbro at one of the cons-  just the wings were shown, so it's possible we may see a resin or even a near-production copy of those guys at NY Toy Fair this weekend.

Looks like MP-17+ Prowl is a thing officially.

http://hobby.dengeki.com/news/521323/

tfp_01tfp_01

tfp_02tfp_02

tfp_09tfp_09

Blatantly easy pass, that looks just terribly awful. At this rate they will be re-releasing every previously released carbot in a cartoon accurate + repaint, how boring. Great for those that want to re-buy everything for the sake of slightly more toon accuracy I guess.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

What's new about it?

Basically what kanedaestes said, all of the + repaints are more "toon" accurate in their coloring. No new re-tooling or molding, just a repaint that is closer to the animation models, the original MPs were more real world detailed, or Hasui style, everything Takara does now is as toon accurate as possible.

Comparing the old stock MP-17 photos to the new 17+ photos, it looks like Takara has reduced the Tampo printing on the doors and has changed the color of the tinted windows and the headlamps. The Autobot symbol might be the larger toon-style symbol too.

Not enough going on here for me to make the switch.

Oh wow. The Bayverse is dead!!! http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/transformers-cinematic-universe-current-movie-series-rebooted-358641

I don't know how to feel. I recognize they were all horrid movies, but over the years they have become kinda guilty pleasures for me. And unlike some I do like the movieverse designs. 

mp 17+ cartoonifying prowl.  meh.  i mean if you are gonna continue to cartoonify things, you should start making an mp-10+....not that i'd want that (although i'd get it because optimus and mp-10 is  great mold).  the bright blue headlights and windows look horrid in the pictures.  at least mp 14+ fixed the thigh coloration thing (while making the rest worse)...prowl was nigh on perfect IMO.  i mean we all understood the blue in teh cartoons was in substitute of being able to draw clear glass with reflectinos right?  also the last "+" was mp-12+...they tinted the windows blue...not made them almost super opaque bright blue like this.  this is either a bad design choice or a bad photoshop in the official image.

2 hours ago, GobotFool said:

Oh wow. The Bayverse is dead!!! http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/transformers-cinematic-universe-current-movie-series-rebooted-358641

I don't know how to feel. I recognize they were all horrid movies, but over the years they have become kinda guilty pleasures for me. And unlike some I do like the movieverse designs. 

Yay! let it die. I just hope the next iteration isn't worse. :unsure:  I do hope this opens the door for writers and directors who are actual TF fans to make these movies, and hopefully they create a solid storyline for good continuity between films and make the TFs the stars, rather than incidental to the human stories, as much as possible. Return to more classic TF designs- not skeletal shardy things. No more psychopathic Prime and his band of not-so-merry Bots. They won't do it, but I'd even welcome a whole new cast of characters, with just references made to the originals, or set it in the distant past before Prime and Megatron, and lead up to their introductions. There's a lot of territory they could explore, and it's a good opportunity to do a complete reboot from the ground up- heck show how they first developed their transforming ability. It doesn't have to be G1, but it would be nice to see Autobots who are friends and comrades trying to take the moral high road against Decepticons who are more ethically challenged and focused more on power, and explore where these paths may lead.

I love my Ver. 1 Prowl and all the repaint variants (Bluestreak, Silverstreak, and Smokescreen), but I'm not digging this, or really any of the even more toon accurate paintjobs. Less detail for the same or greater price as the original doesn't enthrall me. MP Prowl is already about as perfect as a toy like this can be. The only thing that would make him better is if they found a way to give him AI and speak with Michael Bell's voice. 

Picked up PotP Hun-Gurrr.  I had the original G1 toy as a kid, and it was one of my favorites, so I really wanted the new one even though I wasn't impressed with the pictures.  Basically, I'm in agreement with @M'Kyuun but I'll but putting up a more in-depth opinion with pictures later.  I have no idea what became of my old Transformers; I think my parents gave them to a younger cousin when they thought I was too old for them.  But I think I'm going to try to track down another G1 Hun-Gurrr.

4 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i mean we all understood the blue in teh cartoons was in substitute of being able to draw clear glass with reflectinos right? 

Oh man, the posts I've made about everybody using deep trans-blue windshields on Hot Rod....   (which, due to budget only ever allowing one type of clear plastic, always leads to deep blue headlights...)  

I personally think every windshield should be clear or smoked translucent in vehicle mode.  There are some characters where blue feels more correct to me in bot mode (Optimus and Ratchet, mostly), but I think a clever engineer could come up with a solution like blue panels that move into place behind the clear plastic.  Just look at Sunsurge; blue faux windows in robot mode, smoked translucent in car mode.

7 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I do hope this opens the door for writers and directors who are actual TF fans to make these movies

Guy that did TF3(and parts of TF2) was such a writer. Which is largely why TF3 is "three cartoon episode plots mashed together, also we have THE WRECKERS!"

Biggest problem there was he was working within the framework of what came before. Couldn't just eject Crazimus Prime and Clan Witwicky, no matter how much he may have wanted to.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I personally think every windshield should be clear or smoked translucent in vehicle mode.  There are some characters where blue feels more correct to me in bot mode (Optimus and Ratchet, mostly), but I think a clever engineer could come up with a solution like blue panels that move into place behind the clear plastic.  Just look at Sunsurge; blue faux windows in robot mode, smoked translucent in car mode.

My opinion on windows and windshields is more nuanced. A lot of times, there's clear windows opening into a cabin that very clearly is not a cabin.

If there's not gonna be seats and controls... black the windows out so we can still pretend this is a working vehicle. Don't leave us staring at the robo-bootie crammed up against the windshield.

As for the Bayverse, I don't think any of the writers stood a chance of having their material, no matter how well written, of ending up well on screen once Bay convoluted it with his 'vision'. From the onset, it was clear this guy had no connection with these characters, and as such, they were relegated to becoming props, or one dimensional characters who lacked any substance to make you like them, let alone care about them. I had a low opinion of Orci and Kurtzman after seeing one of the Bay movies they wrote (I've seen the first, third, and fourth, and only bits of the second b/c it was so bad I had to change the channel).  So, when it was announced that they'd be writing Transformers: Prime, I cringed. Eventually, I sat and watched an episode, and then another, and found myself really enjoying the show. I realized then just how much of an impact the director has. In different hands, the live action movies may have been much different with the same scripts. It's all academic now, and I'm glad that era is over. As I said, I hope the next iteration is handled by folks with a personal stake, and they go for a more traditional look of the characters so that they look like Transformers, and that they are treated as characters with quirks and flaws and personalities that make them feel real. If I had my way about it, I'd make it a requisite that any new director had to watch BW, G1 first season, Animated, and Prime, as these all succeeded in making these 2D representations become three-dimensional 'people' to whom you could relate.

As for the blue window debate (first world issues:lol:), most of the time, I think smoked works, as it occludes the robo bits within but still looks realistic. Or, as Mike pointed out, use clear in car mode, and engineer a second set of folding windows of the preferred color for bot mode. Best of both worlds.

4 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

What is this Autobot/Decepticon toon-style vs toy everyone's talking about?   

It's just a different way of printing the logos. The toon-style logos lean more toward animation accuracy with softer edges and squashed proportions which match the G1 cartoon—for me, it's more obvious with the Decepticon logo. The toy-style logos have finer edges and elongated proportions that match the decals that were on the G1 toys. IIRC, Takara was using toy-accurate printing for the Autobot/Decepticon logos until MP Shockwave was released. Shockwave includes a decal sheet containing both toy-style and animation-style decals. Inferno and Grapple offered both toy-style and animation-style with the front grille gimmick (but Inferno also had a decal sheet). MP Megatron and MP Sunstreaker were the first MPs to use anime logos only with no toy logo option.

And to mosey on back to prowl, here's a good comparison of his original MP to the plus version from Cheem on TFW. 

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/masterpiece-prowl-animation-version.1142211/page-8#post-15504141

That's encouraging (or at least refreshing) to hear that the movies are apparently getting a reboot. I saw the first Bay movie in the theater in 2007, and never bothered with any of the rest. I enjoyed almost almost of the TV series (especially G1, Beast Wars, and Prime) and would be interested to see what they could do in live action that was more faithful to classic canon and characters, with TF designs that were actually recognizeable instead of a mass of various pieces. Case in point: I thought TF Prime was an excellent modern interpretation. Bottom line is that it's got to be more about the robots than the humans.

The continuation of the + series shows that there is at least a niche demand for cartoon look.

If a MP and its + version are released together, I'll probably get the + version. But if I have the normal one already, I'll probably not get the + one, especially if it is the same mold.

I have the car bots and so far I'm not interested in the + versions.

It would take something like Meteor to change my mind. :lol:

Well, since the MP line is targeted at the Japanese market, and that's the direction that Takara themselves continue to travel, I'd say that that's where the demand for the utmost toon look originates. I still prefer a more detailed look to my MP figures- I thought Prowl was damn near perfect, except that he didn't have the complete toy deco (Thanks Reprolabels/Toyhax), which he should have had out of the box, IMHO. My fear now is that MP figures with blue windows and nearly no deco at all will become the main release, and we'll have to wait for a second release with a little more toy detail added.

It still boggles my mind why they'd choose the bland, inconsistent cartoon look over a more toy centric look. I thought they struck a good balance between both with the early MP releases, and judging by just about any other Japanese figure and robot line, high detail is the preference. Like many, I think Hasui and team had the right idea.

For those who haven't seen it, Predaking's coming: http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/17/toy-fair-2018-power-primes-titan-class-predaking-images-358792

First impression is that they're all voyagers, but the bot modes appear to have better articulation than the Constructicons. As with some of the other animalistic figs in the PotP line, a couple of them have small thin limbs that are just there for the animal mode contrasting with bulky limbs that become arms for the bot, and they're all chunky, cubish looking animals similar to the G1 toys. 

I'm digging Abominus more. Having Hun-grrr in hand, he makes a good torso, and because his arms become the gestalt's thighs (with nice ratchets), it looks and works better than Grimlock's torso mode. I wish they'd made a slider or trapeze for his thighs to disappear into his lower legs for torso mode- would have been a better solution all around.

I recently got the PotP Dreadwind. Now that I finally have a limb bot I dug out my CW Cyclonus and added an arm to him. Since I already preordered Darkwing I need two other bots to finish at least one Transformers combiner. 

I thought maybe Blot and Blast-Off would fit the color scheme nicely. Sadly the PotP limb bots don't come with a foot anymore so I need to buy some 3rd party hands and feet.

Which is not to bad since I didn't understand why (and like) the new hands are still that bulky and the new feet are still that tiny when they are clearly designed for one purpose and don't need to transform into each other.

Any thoughts? ^_^

Edited by Scyla

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

I recently got the PotP Dreadwind. Now that I finally have a limb bot I dug out my CW Cyclonus and added an arm to him. Since I already preordered Darkwing I need two other bots to finish at least one Transformers combiner. 

I thought maybe Blot and Blast-Off would fit the color scheme nicely. Sadly the PotP limb bots don't come with a foot anymore so I need to buy some 3rd party hands and feet.

Which is not to bad since I didn't understand why (and like) the new hands are still that bulky and the new feet are still that tiny when they are clearly designed for one purpose and don't need to transform into each other.

Any thoughts? ^_^

All the PotP limbs come with a hand, though, leaving you with two extra hands.  While it looks like the extras fill out the torso on Volcanicus, the PotP feet have holes in the back.  I've seen people plug the hands with the fingers folded in and the dual thumbs bent around so they're pointing in the same direction as the wrist peg, then plugged into the PotP feet to make them larger/give them heels.

Anyway, Perfect Effect makes lots of combiner hand/foot upgrades, but I think they're a little pricey for what they are.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I was so busy replying to Scyla that I almost forgot I had a question.  Now, I've seen reviews starting to pop up for MPM-05 Barricade, at Emgo's at the very least was a Hasbro version with the Toys 'R' Us exclusive badge.  Have any of you guys seen him in any of your stores?  I've checked my local store twice and haven't seen him, but I can't even find him online.  It's been my experience that even when TRU blows out of their online inventory it'll still have a page for the toy I can show to an employee to have them check if they have any in the back.

Edited by mikeszekely