The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

38 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Yeah, I've heard random complaints about the looseness of the ankle joints on Bee and missing ratchet joints, but my copy is fine. That said I don't transform any of my transformable toys very often, if ever.

A few more paint apps here or there would have been ideal, but all in all I think Bee looks good in bot mode.

The issues I've read about with Prime seemed to be mostly with the early reviewer releases from Takara, but nothing that has made me want to avoid a good looking movie figure. I suppose everyone's mileage will vary, I was just curios if anyone knew of a place to secure a pre-order for the Takara vs. Hasbro release:D

-b.

I checked the entries for all the popular online retailers, and everyone that has them, even under their Japanese Transformers section, all have the Hasbro versions. Anime Export have it, but there's no delineation as to which version. 

I'm thinking you may just have to be patient and wait out a Takara release, or hope for the best with a current PO. With the tales of QC woe floating, I think I'd wait, esp for $140. best of luck!

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Yeah, I've heard random complaints about the looseness of the ankle joints on Bee and missing ratchet joints, but my copy is fine. That said I don't transform any of my transformable toys very often, if ever.

A few more paint apps here or there would have been ideal, but all in all I think Bee looks good in bot mode.

The issues I've read about with Prime seemed to be mostly with the early reviewer releases from Takara, but nothing that has made me want to avoid a good looking movie figure. I suppose everyone's mileage will vary, I was just curios if anyone knew of a place to secure a pre-order for the Takara vs. Hasbro release. :D

-b.

I wouldn't shy away if you're into the design, there's no denying Takara/Hasbro nailed these things aesthetically, it just seems like a fairly mixed bag. The Hasbro releases could be nicer for Prime, I've heard roughly the same things about HAsbro Bee though. I see a lot of people focusing the hate on the Hasbro part of the Hasbro/Takara partnership, but honestly, Takara's name is on these just the same, they clearly okayed them before production, so I hold them just as accountable for the number of bad releases out there that people are receiving.

Also, Bee is appearing at Toys R Us here in the US as of about a week ago, I saw one when I was on lunch going to grab an MMPR Legacy Power Sword. I can't deny that MPM Prime looks better then the old ROTF Leader Prime, but I've honestly dropped my ROTF Prime like three times and he's still aces, plus I upgraded him with Cubex's transforming gas tank cannons, so he still works for me. Maybe if Takara/Hasbro put out a ROTF updated MPM Prime I'd bite, but it's just sounding a bit too mixed for me to jump on these at this price point.

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I wouldn't shy away if you're into the design, there's no denying Takara/Hasbro nailed these things aesthetically, it just seems like a fairly mixed bag. The Hasbro releases could be nicer for Prime, I've heard roughly the same things about HAsbro Bee though. I see a lot of people focusing the hate on the Hasbro part of the Hasbro/Takara partnership, but honestly, Takara's name is on these just the same, they clearly okayed them before production, so I hold them just as accountable for the number of bad releases out there that people are receiving.

Also, Bee is appearing at Toys R Us here in the US as of about a week ago, I saw one when I was on lunch going to grab an MMPR Legacy Power Sword. I can't deny that MPM Prime looks better then the old ROTF Leader Prime, but I've honestly dropped my ROTF Prime like three times and he's still aces, plus I upgraded him with Cubex's transforming gas tank cannons, so he still works for me. Maybe if Takara/Hasbro put out a ROTF updated MPM Prime I'd bite, but it's just sounding a bit too mixed for me to jump on these at this price point.

For sure, and while from my passing observation it does seem fashionable in TF fandom to level criticism towards Hasbro and praise towards Takara Tomy. Not to say I don't see folks bash on Takara for various flawed releases, it's just that they appear to be viewed in a more favorable light.

In this instance the difference in apps is what's drawing me towards Takara.

I ran out during lunch a few hours ago and went to a local TRU and saw about 4 of the MP-10 re-releases for $ 159.99 each but found them to be an easy pass since I have the original Hasbro MP-10 and the Asia MP-10. No MPM's however...

-b.

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I checked the entries for all the popular online retailers, and everyone that has them, even under their Japanese Transformers section, all have the Hasbro versions. Anime Export have it, but there's no delineation as to which version. 

I'm thinking you may just have to be patient and wait out a Takara release, or hope for the best with a current PO. With the tales of QC woe floating, I think I'd wait, esp for $140. best of luck!

Sorry, forgot to reply earlier. Yep, you are probably right. Patience is a virtue (which I generally don't possess :ph34r:)

56 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

[IMG]

Found at another TRU, apparently the street date is November? I guess they missed that by a bit...

Wouldn't be surprised. 

31 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

They Re-released MP-10 again? maybe I should actually stop by a TRU for once...

Yep, the box is pretty compact, especially compared to the older release. It's the same style box of Prowl and Grimlock.

-b.

They wanted $160 for MP-10 at Comic-con... I laughed and continued on my way. Buy one get one 40% off would make things a lot more appealing.

Anyone know someone willing to be proxy for an MP-711 for me? 

Edited by jenius

Was curious as to whether anyone here has purchased DX-9's "seekers" sets yet and how they might compare scale wise to HMR or the Toynami line.  Always wanted Roy or Max to shut Starscream up as a kid, since Jetfire couldn't get it done in the show, I'll go ahead and add Dirge to the list as well!  Pics, links that show comparable scale much appreciated if you have them/know of them.

There were a bunch of Autobot cars and minibots, but the Season 1 Decepticons were basically Megatron and Shockwave, the (non-Conehead) Seekers, Soundwave and his tapes (pre-Ratbat), Reflector, the Insecticons, and the Constructicons.  That's it, right?  Everyone else is Season 2 or later?

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

There were a bunch of Autobot cars and minibots, but the Season 1 Decepticons were basically Megatron and Shockwave, the (non-Conehead) Seekers, Soundwave and his tapes (pre-Ratbat), Reflector, the Insecticons, and the Constructicons.  That's it, right?  Everyone else is Season 2 or later?

I think so, yeah. Conventional wisdom was that badguy toys don't sell, so there were more autobot toys early on.

1 minute ago, JB0 said:

I think so, yeah. Conventional wisdom was that badguy toys don't sell, so there were more autobot toys early on.

Huh.  Seems I accidently went from "I'm not collecting MPs!" to having MP (or MP-ish) versions of nearly all of the Season 1 Decepticons in a relatively short time.  

12 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Huh.  Seems I accidently went from "I'm not collecting MPs!" to having MP (or MP-ish) versions of nearly all of the Season 1 Decepticons in a relatively short time.  

In fairness, the Decepticons had all the GOOD molds.

1 minute ago, JB0 said:

In fairness, the Decepticons had all the GOOD molds.

Yeah, so I guess the question now is do I get the Season 1 Autobots, or skip ahead to Season 2 Decepticons?

Wait, were there any Season 2 Decepticons that weren't combiners besides the triple changers and the Coneheads?  He's a little short, but I'd stick with my Transportation Captain for Astrotrain, and we've got at least two MP-ish versions of both Menasor and Bruticus coming.  Maybe I'm closer to Season 3 than I thought...

18 hours ago, JB0 said:

Man, Astrotrain... 'S amazing how many really bad shuttle modes have come out of him. After all the attempts, official and unofficial, at all sorts of price points,  you'd think there'd be at least one or two hits.

Not to derail the official thread with 3P talk, but the Captain is pretty good. The plastic quality and joint tolerances could be better, but for the only product (that I know of) from an unknown Chinese 3P and the $60-$80 he can be had for on evil bay I've got no complaints.  Well, except for the fact that he's a little shorter than the MP-3/MP-11 Seekers.

20170121_005911.jpg.684e78f13e24930649a03afdf6330d37.jpg

20170121_000908.jpg.6ecab90733d12171b438a3f646a1cd57.jpg

20170121_002446.jpg.5fa3a0d452c21f3f8b5c23d880ba29c6.jpg

I just can't abide that shuttle, man. I mean, it isn't the worst of the legally-distinct convertible robots(or the Classics thing), but... It isn't any better than the original toy, either. Surely we can get a decent STS orbiter out of a triple-changer with 21st-century toy engineering.

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

I just can't abide that shuttle, man. I mean, it isn't the worst of the legally-distinct convertible robots(or the Classics thing), but... It isn't any better than the original toy, either. Surely we can get a decent STS orbiter out of a triple-changer with 21st-century toy engineering.

Oh, I see the problem. You want an Astrotrain that looks like an actual shuttle, I'm happy to have one that looks like the cartoon. (I'm the same way with Blitzwing... I don't like Gewalt's attempt to make the plane mode look like the actual plane it was supposed to be, I prefer Ditka's attempt to recreate the funky biplane from the cartoon.)

In that case... Evil Star? His engines look weird, but other than that he's probably your best bet for a shuttle that looks like a shuttle.

Edited by mikeszekely

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Oh, I see the problem. You want an Astrotrain that looks like an actual shuttle, I'm happy to have one that looks like the cartoon. (I'm the same way with Blitzwing... I don't like Gewalt's attempt to make the plane mode look like the actual plane it was supposed to be, I prefer Ditka's attempt to recreate the funky biplane from the cartoon.)

In that case... Evil Star? His engines look weird, but other than that he's probably your best bet for a shuttle that looks like a shuttle.

Quite possible. He's definitely made an attempt to be a real shuttle.

I generally prefer that when they are supposed to have real-world forms, they look like the real thing. 

The original Blitzwing toy always struck me as a really janky plane, though I admit there's a certain bit of nostalgia for that chunky bijet, just because it was so far away from what it should be that it sort of became its own thing, more like a proto-cybertronian mode than a real F-15*. Astrotrain, though, always landed in that "wants to be a shuttle, can't quite pull it off" zone, so there's not a lot of nostalgia for his specific shortcomings in my heart. 

*I'm a lot more forgiving of the sci-fi cybertronian modes, as long as they don't just look like robot parts slapped together into a new arrangement. But even then, for some of them to be viewed as functional vehicles beggars imagination.

MP-40 is just a repaint of a shitty  sub-par toy. I'm bummed out by that. I thought MP-40 would be a cartoon accurate Optimus Prime or God Ginrai or BW Megatron or, or, or:

Is FansToys Hoodlom comming with Firebolt or why is Takara releasing this?

Here are some images: http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/09/takaratomy-masterpiece-mp-40-targetmaster-hot-rodimus-official-images-346648#images

MP-40-Targetmaster-Hot-Rodimus-01.jpg

Also Legends Overlord and Blitzwing hype: http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/09/new-images-legends-lg-58-clonebot-set-lg-59-blitzwing-lg-60-overlord-346656

TakaraTomy-LG-60-Overlord-01.jpg

TakaraTomy-LG-59-Blitzwing-01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be skipping MP-40. Too close to MP-28 for me.

The MPs have been going up in price recently and hence my criteria for getting them has been going up as well.

Edited by nhyone

• 3 weeks later...

I had some high hopes for Power of the Primes, and some stuff (orion pax) looks pretty good (though alt mode is poor), but most of the stuff today looks frankly awful, to me at least.   

After seeing Orion Pax, this is like the opposite---an alt-mode this sleek should make for a good fembot mold---but it's anything but:

(are we SURE that's the right figure to go with that artwork?)DSC05422.jpg

Now, while Rippersnapper looks pretty good (and considering how simple his transformation/design has always been, he's hard to screw up) but IMHO this is one godawful dragon mode for HunGrrr:

DSC05426.jpg

(and of course, instead of going with the very distinctive "dragon cyber-visor" eyes that the toy had, they did toon-style "very generic eyes like every other monster/dragon ever")   (though I'll admit that because the G1 toy had them unpainted, they weren't super-noticeable unless you looked---but man if they HAD been painted, I think it'd be a much more remembered and iconic aspect of his beast mode)   It shouldn't be forgotten, it should be emphasized. 

The Dinobot's look pretty good, except maybe Grimlock.  I mean, they're not great (where'd Grimlock's dino toes go?), but the other four are looking on-target considsering that they're Hasbro Deluxes, especially since they're also a combiner. Oh, and maybe the Leader-class Optimal Optimus with the smaller Optimals Primal.  And, ok, I guess that Rippersnapper is pretty on, too.  Jury's still out on Rodimus Prime; I need to see him from more angles.  The cab is defintiely looking too long, like the Fansproject add-on over the Classics Hot Rod.  Worse than MP-09.

I actually am not at all into the Leader-class Optimus Prime/Orion Pax.  I mean, the robot mode looks almost MP-10-esque from the front... but I have an MP-10, and he's not covered in gray panels from all the other angles.  And while the smaller Orion Pax robot looks like the cartoon, well, I've always thought that cartoon Pax looks like butt.  Worse than that, I feel cheated, because earlier leaks looked like the smaller robot was going to be Optimus/Ginrai and the larger robot was going to be be Powermaster Optimus/Super Ginrai.  And yes, Hun-Grr looks awful.  Not just his dragon mode, but also his backwards torso in rotbot mode.

I think the worst part of Hun-Grrr is his legs/necks. The necks look ridiculous because they are flared to bulk out his legs, but they look ridiculous as legs too. It is like someone accidentally drew his legs upside-down, and no one caught the error until the molds were created.

PotP looks to be a mixed bag. Prime/ Orion Pax combo fig does a great job of evoking MP-10, which I imagine was the focus of the design, and his alt mode looks to be a whatever somewhat works afterthought. After thirty+ years of designing these things, not to mention all the third party competition, one expects these toys would be more evenly balanced and refined than what we're seeing here. Rodimus' bot mode suffers a similar fate, as bits of the smaller Hot Rod can be seen peaking through the crevices rather obviously. I get that something like this can be difficult to design, and I don't claim to be able to do it better. But a company with a division focused on making these things, IMHO, with all the experience garnered over the years, should be top of their game, or so I'd expect.

That said, the new Dinobots are better than I expected, especially given that they're a combiner. As Mike S. pointed out, I wonder why they gave Grimlock such tiny toes.:wacko: Anyway, in hindsight I'm glad I went with FT's Dinos for my collection instead of any of the combining teams, as I'll have these guys to fill the void in my CHUG collection, and the combining aspect is icing on the cake. Ultimate Optimus looks good; I just never cared for the design at all. I'm curious to see how Primal looks in his Ape mode; bot mode has some stylistic differences from the source. Primal should still be fresh on the designers' minds having just made the MP a year or so ago. The Terrorcons have never really interested me, but for those who like them, cool. I have to agree concerning the criticism of Hun-grrr's dragon mode, especially the unbalanced look of his necks and those pegged-on insubstantial stick-like front legs. I daresay, the original toy looked much better, far better proportioned. The Cloudburst Decoy Armor with the Titan Master hiding inside is lost on me in terms of where it comes from within the numerous continuities; as a collector, I have no interest. I want to like the new Voyager Starscream, but once again, he's a jet with arms hanging on the sides. It's a lazy design; I'd love to see a seeker design mirroring the original as far as tucking the arms into the body cavity once the nose is in place. With larger arms, they could stack them one above and below maintaining a sleeker fighter, as well as adding an addition transformational element to the toy, which is what these things are supposed to be all about. The new Jazz, IMHO, looks more like a Robots in Disguise design than a Generations figure. There's just a simplicity to him that doesn't fit with the other Generations figures, at least to my eye. Beachcomber looks great, probably the best looking figure in PotP, maintaining the updated look of the most recent mini-bots.

For me, the Dinobots and Beachcomber are the stand-outs. I would have liked to see the new MP Autobot cassettes on display, potentially with a MP Blaster revelation. Perhaps that'll come today before the Con wraps up. Hopefully there'll be some new MP reveal- Jazz would be great, or an updated Seeker. Guess we'll see.

51 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

Just call me Kuma and there's no need to downvote me, man. I didn't know.

Don't sweat it, buddy.  It's not like TFW here, there's not a lot of people using the upvote/downvote thing in general.  And the ones that do... *shrugs*.  I've got one (and just one) downvote for just about every review I post in the 3P thread.

16 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Don't sweat it, buddy.  It's not like TFW here, there's not a lot of people using the upvote/downvote thing in general.  And the ones that do... *shrugs*.  I've got one (and just one) downvote for just about every review I post in the 3P thread.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I really appreciate it.