The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Treatment, I see what you did there... :bump::lol: Fortress Maximus is beastly. Heh, just noticed, he's too big for the box, so they take his arm off to stuff him in there. Cool.

Kurisama, you're most welcome. I love concept stuff, too- art, protos, etc. Always interesting to see what goes into the things we like.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was looking over my Robotech mini's over the Christmas break, and my brother has a Titans Returns Fort Max.  I thought hard and realized that the scales (as funny as they are in BOTH universes) almost perfectly worked out!

20161227_200017.jpg20161227_200121.jpg20161227_200158.jpg20161227_200205.jpg

20161227_200227.jpg20161227_200543.jpg20161227_200654.jpg20161227_200704.jpg

And here are my two favourite pics of the bunch:

Clear for takeoff!

20161227_200048.jpg

And coming out from under the cover of the ship itself.

20161227_200724.jpg

20161227_200240.jpg

20161227_200323.jpg

20161227_200340.jpg

20161227_200402.jpg

20161227_200419.jpg

20161227_200600.jpg

20161227_200604.jpg

20161227_200626.jpg

I'm out of the loop... never even saw the announcement that MP-10K was in the pipeline then all of a sudden it was out... It was inevitable but it snuck up on me.

I'm falling behind on my TF MP collecting... still gotta get Thrust and Shatterglass OP.

Here is a better view of MP Megatrons backside:

mp_megatron.jpg

I think the backside of the shoulders and the forearms look flimsy as hell. I'm still very interested in how he transforms and if the transformation is fiddly. I hope we get more preview images of the Megatron before release.

March and April gonna be an expensive month with this, the two DX Delta Valkyries, and the MB F91 coming all out in spring. ^_^

It's impressively clean, though, if you ignore the myriad seams.

That said, especially given the, gray color and skinny, high-waisted proportions that come from Takara's slavish devotion to the animation (not too mention the significantly higher price tag) I can't imagine why you wouldn't go with Despotron instead, unless you're anti-3P.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

That said, especially given the, gray color and skinny, high-waisted proportions that come from Takara's slavish devotion to the animation (not too mention the significantly higher price tag) I can't imagine why you wouldn't go with Despotron instead, unless you're anti-3P.

I think Despotron cleans up much nicer so he will be the Megatron on my shelf. However I'm a sucker for well engineered toys so I will give MP Megatron a shot.I wish they would announce a repaint for him before the releases so I could put him as a different character on my shelf.

Here is an image of Despotrons back (courtesy of Kumastyle http://kumastyledesigns.com/mt-despotron-review/):

6-58.png

I PO'd MP megs, but between him and Despotron, I think Despotron is overall the better looking of the two overall. I'm hoping to snag him on a sale, but I admit he's well-priced for a figure this size and complexity. I jumped the gun when POing MP Megs, and overpaid, IMO. Usually I'm patient and look for better pricing, but I was paranoid that MP Megs was going to suffer the same availability issues as a new Bandai valk, so I pounced on the first available PO through a site that doesn't allow cancellations. Life's lessons can be expensive.

Anyway, it's nice to see new pics of the official toy revealed- still wish he had a more G1 transformation with the upper body, but it's moot at this point. Hopefully he's a solid toy.

Recently caved and picked up Delta Magnus- cool toy.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Despotron? What about Mightron! That's my current MP Megs, and he fits the bill very well. Despotron did the legs better, but there were too many other things that made me go meh with him. Takara Megs 2.0 looks like an expensive, far too toon accurate mess. He's not even silver, I mean I get that he was grey in the carton and that's the new direction, but it just doesn't look like a premium color or paint job for such an absurd asking price. I'm waiting for Takara's inevitable reveal of Hoist and Trailbreaker. I want to see how they pull off the transformation, but I have zero reason to believe the aesthetics they will go with will be anything I will want to add to my collection.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Because some people might actually like the way MP-36 looks over Despotron? I'm not planning on getting any of them but I think MP-36 has way better proportions than Despotron. The gray color never bothered me and the more I look at it the more it grows on me.

I like how photos make MP-36 look good in both modes. The toon look doesn't bother me at all. I can definitely see how Takara has changed the aesthetic over time, but I also think that the releases are getting  more and more interesting. At least, they are for me.

And I do agree about Despo's proportions. He looks like the defensive end on an American football team--heavy duty muscle--and his alt mode looks like it was made for giants. Takara seems more on point with how Megatron actually looks in the show and the movie. That isn't to say that Despotron is bad. I think MT's style is charming, but it isn't really indicative of anything. It is simply the company's take on classic Megs. 

The matte gray of the official doesn't bother me either. The inaccuracy of the upper torso is really the only major thing I dislike about him (the black waist area looks a little too large proportionally, but not detrimentally). Because they didn't use the forward chunk of the gun slide as his upper torso, which really is part of Megs' iconic look, but instead filled that area with most of his transformational origami and slapped a faux chestplate on him, I find the upper torso to be his weakest area visually. Due to his un-traditional transformation, he looks to have a lot of moving parts that need to come together to form large areas, a situation that can become problematic if well placed tabs and locks aren't used judicially.

I don't believe Takara will release Megatron just once, so there will be color variants.

I've said that about Shockwave, but so far there is still no sign of a deeper purple variant. :p

So far, it looks like every mold is used for at least two toy releases?

14 hours ago, Scyla said:

March and April gonna be an expensive month with this, the two DX Delta Valkyries, and the MB F91 coming all out in spring. ^_^

April is also when MP-11 (Starscream), MP-13 (Soundwave) and the cassettes are re-issued.

That's expensive to get all in one shot if you missed them the first time round, like I did.

9 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Because some people might actually like the way MP-36 looks over Despotron? I'm not planning on getting any of them but I think MP-36 has way better proportions than Despotron. The gray color never bothered me and the more I look at it the more it grows on me.

Well, I'm sure plenty of people feel the same as you.  To each their own, yeah?  I guess it's fairly animation-accurate, but to me such a scrawny Megatron doesn't look tough enough to go head-to-head with Optimus.  Despotron's burly, but I think that burliness looks perfect paired with MP-10.

End of the day, I think it's pretty great that we even have options to debate over.