The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I actually like the way the legs look on the official one. :unsure: the only thing I don't like is the simplified faux cab chest; although it looks like you have the option to use the actual cab as the chest so problem solved for me.

Huge nostalgia boner... the part where Starscream reaches over to "cock" his arm laser is an adorable touch...

And then gameplay comes up and what Primus-forsaken mess is this?

My heart. It is broken. You have slain me with this trailer.

Combiner Wars looks nifty, but is it really locked to a Verizon Wireless app? Why not put it on one of the larger sites like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon?

Re: Inferno

I love that we have so many choices to buy an MP-scale Inferno toy. He's like the Autobot version of Shockwave or something. The official Masterpiece looks to be one of Takara's best this year and that's going to make it difficult for me to stick with just one version. MMC's is appealing because of how it borrows details from his old Marvel Comics appearance. Both the comic and the toon aesthetic tend to draw me in.

I'm not bothered by the clean legs. That was a minor nitpick for me with Iron Hide and Ratchet. For those two, I was more annoyed by the fact that Takara did the G1 toy face gimmick instead of figuring out a cool way to reduce the size of the chest/windscreen area in bot mode. Inferno has a very clever gimmick with the ladder, but it wasn't done at the expense of his bot-mode profile. Fantastic, really.

Combiner Wars looks nifty, but is it really locked to a Verizon Wireless app? Why not put it on one of the larger sites like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon?

Well, I guess Combiner Wars is going to get watched a lot less than they hoped. I, for one, am not going to download a crappy app onto my phone to watch said video on said phone because I don't have a bigger iOS/Android screen and I wanted to watch it on my TV anyway.

Double odd, since the preview series is going up on YouTube.

Well, I guess Combiner Wars is going to get watched a lot less than they hoped. I, for one, am not going to download a crappy app onto my phone to watch said video on said phone because I don't have a bigger iOS/Android screen and I wanted to watch it on my TV anyway.

Double odd, since the preview series is going up on YouTube.

Hm. Maybe it was a mistake of omission (or something I misread) in the EW article. It is odd that the preview series would go up on other sites like Youtube and Facebook, but that Hasbro wouldn't continue running the main series in those places as well.

Hm. Maybe it was a mistake of omission (or something I misread) in the EW article. It is odd that the preview series would go up on other sites like Youtube and Facebook, but that Hasbro wouldn't continue running the main series in those places as well.

I don't own a cell phone, and I only have Dish, so I guess I'll wait for DVD release.

MP Inferno, on the whole, looks ok to me. I think Backdraft does look a little better due to better detailing. I dig the ladder stowage-neat bit of bot-enhancing engineering that TT didn't have to do, but I'm glad they did. Inferno has never really been on my radar- he's exists on the periphery to me, much like Tracks, so I'm a bit meh. I wish they'd finish out the remaining first season characters before going on to second, third, and Movie figs. Probably not the most popular opinion, but there it is.

I'm waiting on some better pics of MP Cheetor; I want a better look at his back legs in beast mode. After looking at the pics shown this morning on TFW2005 http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/06/25/figure-king-no-221-scans-mp-inferno-mp-cheetor-lg-fortress-maximus-shogo-hasui-interview-317957, I think his cat-head chest is a cheat to better flatten and streamline it. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

I greatly dislike the official MP Inferno not because he seems to be a bad toy but because I can't deal with all the inconsistencies over the whole line. If they could stick to the design cues they set out with MP-10. Every releases after MP-21 looks like it could be from a different line. MP Inferno looks like a great toy, the transformation of the ladder is ingenious, but he doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast. In my opinion MMCs Backdraft is a much better Inferno when you are planning to display it together with MP-10 - MP-21.

I don't understand why Takara let this inconsistencies happen. I thought the great success of the new MP line after Convoy was that you can have a whole line of toys that can be displayed together on a shelf where MP-1 till MP-09 sought out to give the ultimate representation of each character without keeping the other releases in mind. The new MP line seems to do far better revenue wise, so why change a winning formula?

Secondly there is another thought I have that doesn't seem to come up elsewhere. To me having a licensed and real looking vehicle clashes with the cartoon aesthetic. If a Transformer has not some sort of made-up alt-mode the vehicle will have many small details because that is how the real thing looks. On most Transformers those details will be shown prominently in robot mode as well (see Infernos chest). You need to have more details on the other robot parts so that the greebles of the alt-mode parts blend in better. If those details stem from the G1 comic or the toy or are made up doesn't matter but they help to bring the figure together as a whole, make them look complete.

On MP Inferno the chest made off the Mitsubishi Fuso fire truck clashes with the rest of the robot mode and Takara is well aware of this thus they included more cartoon accurate chest pieces which will look vastly out of place in alt-mode. Having to swap out parts between to modes to change from a real-life aesthetic to a cartoon-aesthetic is something that is hard to stomach for me.

I have to stress that I don't think that a more cartoon focused Transformers MP line is bad but than you can't have real life alt-modes. The design pillars set out by Hasui to blend the real-life vehicle with the cartoon model and toy and add a heroic stature to the robot-mode is the best way to blend all the different forms of the G1 Transformers together. The revamp of the MP line created a vision of the character I have in mind when I think back in nostalgia to the idealized Transformers of my childhood. Looking at the G1 toys, cartoon and comic now they can't keep up with the image I had that long in my mind.

MP Inferno for preorder at BBTS or TFSource for anyone who doesn't use HLJ, NY, Amiami, etc.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK12371&mode=retail

http://tfsource.com/masterpiece/mp-33-inferno/

Good god that is expensive. Another reason to pass, I can somehow get a better looking third party version for cheaper. SMH, what are you doing Takara, you're making this too easy of a choice.

I'm thinking it will be around $110-115 from Japanese stores.

True, the Japanese sellers usually have MPs for a bit cheaper due to their early pricing or whatever. Still too expensive in my eyes, still sticking with Backdraft, which should be here any day now along with Willis/Hound...

Good god that is expensive. Another reason to pass, I can somehow get a better looking third party version for cheaper. SMH, what are you doing Takara, you're making this too easy of a choice.

Yeah. The price tempered my excitement for this too. I'm back to wait-and-see until the in-hand reviews come in.

I was surprised by the price tag for MP Inferno, as well. Still waiting to see what HLJ will PO it for.

It's unusual for the official stuff to cost more than the third party, but in this case Backdraft is edging out the official toy both in terms of detail and pricing.

I was surprised by the price tag for MP Inferno, as well. Still waiting to see what HLJ will PO it for.

It's unusual for the official stuff to cost more than the third party, but in this case Backdraft is edging out the official toy both in terms of detail and pricing.

11,200y preorder-pricing at hlj:

http://hlj.com/product/TKT86178/Act

10490y at ami:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-021226

Also PO'd Inferno- the various feature shots sold me on it. It doesn't hurt that AmiAmi's PO price is just a smidge over Backdraft's, and I'm a sucker for the official stuff. :) I like the TT Inferno proportions a little better than Backdraft, esp the waist--it seems a little more compact, not as elongated to me, and I like the more squat look it imparts. The more I look at the pics, the less the plain legs bother me; there are still some nice details, and overall it captures the look of the character really well. Nice how they made his stabilizers deploy in truck mode- they didn't have to, but it's cool that they did. Also, he's pretty poseable for his size...always a good thing. :wub:

I just can't even consider the Takara version anymore, I debated it for a while, but the beautiful in hand shots of Backdraft along with these lack luster shots of the official made my decision for me. I can't go back, after seeing how amazing and detailed Backdraft looks, the official would just feel like a step back or a major down grade. I'll still check out official Grapple though, I'm still on board for that to mix it up, though he'll probably look odd next to the glorious MMC Inferno.

Edited by Tking22