The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Takara going ever-harder on toon-accuracy. Gun-mode placement is incompatible with bot-mode placement. Thus, no insignia for either. :p

I'm fairly certain that MP Magnus and Hot Rodimus don't have their own Matrices because in Takaras weird head cannon there can be only one Matrix and not multiple. So if MP-10 has a Matrix MP-22 can't also have one. Same goes for the omission of the clear left fist on MP Laserwave because the toy clearly never had two hands while the animators gave cartoon Laserwave two hands...

..don't get me started on the fact that all MP carbots have to fit in Convoys trailer for some obscure reason!!!

Japan is so weird.

Same goes for the omission of the clear left fist on MP Laserwave because the toy clearly never had two hands while the animators gave cartoon Laserwave two hands...

Ordinarily, I'd agree this is silly and dumb.

But in my mind, there's two ways to do Shockwave: Toy-accurate and wrong. If you want him to have a left hand, you don't DESERVE clear hands. :p

I find the Transformers division of Takara totally strange. On the one hand they are crazy about the consistency of their toys where it goes to an extreme in the UW line, giving their Computron the same Hand Feet Guns (HFG) than the rest of the UW releases. On the other hand in their collector focused line (Masterpiece) they are unable to release the bots with the same design decisions and aesthetics. They have prove to be able to release high quality collectibles with their Alternity line (my favorite toys from Takara) yet they are unable to incorporate the same qualities into Masterpiece Transformers.

I doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd forgotten about the Alternity line, which are basically Binaltech at a smaller scale. I agree %100 that the MP line should be at least on par, if not better, in quality as the Alternity figures. It's quite odd that they're not, esp when MP-10 at least has rubber tires. Why not the rest? Die-cast I can honestly live without simply for the fact that primarily all-plastic construction takes less of a toll on joints over time. Metal feels good in the hand, but paint chipping and weight are big detractors.

I'd nearly forgotten about the stickers for Shockwave. That was a decision most fecal, IMHO. I wish they'd just decided on a spot and tampoed it. Regardless of whether they tampographed or issued stickers, people are going to complain; however, the tampo is certainly more polished than a sticker, and would make for much better presentation on a high end toy.

Just confirmed shipping of my MP Shockwave with HLJ, along with a couple items from PW. He'll be Guardian of My Living Room next week! :D

Maybe it's because I only had the first run of the Optimus GTR but what are you guys on about saying Alternity is better than Masterpiece? The Alternity line was fiddly with limited accessories (or none) and the diecast was prone to chipping paint as I recall. Masterpiece carbots replaced them for the better I say.

basedon that chinse video review...man i hope we get a weijiang treatment in a few years....in slight oversize and also in mpp-10 scale of the slight oversize.. the design overall is good. the size, materials, and arguable colors seem to be lacking. i have thi scoming from hlj but i'm not super excited about it.

Edited by Mechapilot77

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'll buy it... as soon as a toy color version comes out. The video reviews popping up have cemented that.

i cant wait for shackwave and deep purple

I find it kind of telling that Takara keeps appending letters to MP-11 every time they release a new seeker variant, where as every other post MP10 repaint has gotten a unique number. they're basically admitting that yes, these are just easy cash-ins and shouldn't be counted as part of the ongoing masterpiece line.

Not true if you look at The Transformers: Masterpiece.

The suffix ones are the special editions, which I interpret to mean they are one-off runs with lower quantity. IMO, most of these special editions won't appeal to normal fans.

Even for MP-11SW and MP-11T, it'll be cool to have them to form the seeker trio, but it is really buying MP-11 three times. Because of that, I find it hard to justify at these prices.

At this point, I hope Takara re-issues MP-11 and MP-13. I have missed them twice! :ohmy:

For MP-29, for those who haven't gotten it, I have a strong feeling that Takara will release a toy-colored purple color. :D

Not true if you look at The Transformers: Masterpiece.

The suffix ones are the special editions, which I interpret to mean they are one-off runs with lower quantity. IMO, most of these special editions won't appeal to normal fans.

Even for MP-11SW and MP-11T, it'll be cool to have them to form the seeker trio, but it is really buying MP-11 three times. Because of that, I find it hard to justify at these prices.

At this point, I hope Takara re-issues MP-11 and MP-13. I have missed them twice! :ohmy:

For MP-29, for those who haven't gotten it, I have a strong feeling that Takara will release a toy-colored purple color. :D

The color of Shockwave, in hand, is better than the pics of him I saw prior to his release. However, I would love a darker purple one like the G1 toy.

MP-29 arrived!

Put him next to my other bad guys on the detolf shelf. He does look too small, I think I'll swap placement between Soundwave and Shockwave.
IMG_0119.jpg
Edited by dapro

MP-29 arrived!

Put him next to my other bad guys on the detolf shelf. He does look too small, I think I'll swap placement between Soundwave and Shockwave.
<snip>

Like he's reporting in from Cybertron? I think that'll be a good change for your Decepticon shelf, dapro.

Both look good to me, and will eventually take up residence on my CHUG shelves. I wish they were making regular cassettes for Blaster, as I'd love more updated cassette figs, but I guess today's kids wouldn't relate. Too bad, as it was an awesome gimmick.

My Shockwave shipped from HLJ, so I'm looking forward to having him in hand sometime this week. (I love EMS, def worth the extra expense). I'm generally not a fan of battery powered toys, primarily b/c of battery seepage, and sacrifices to the toy for electronics space allotment, but I do wish that a soundcard had been incorporated, as the silent blinking seems incomplete. Those old sound effects would have been nice, and sound better than any "pew-pew-ing" I can do. Michael Winslow, I am not.

I'll get PM Prime, but I'll probably pas in Blaster. He looks great, but most Leader CHUGs scale poorly with the rest of the line. It's why I'm keeping Hegemon with my CHUGs instead of CW Megatron.

So, I found a 2014 Generations Brainstorm. I'd never seen one in stores in 2014 (or 2015), so I eagerly snapped him up, since I had the G1 toy 20-something years ago. Very mixed feelings...

Pro:

-Easy transformation reminiscent of the original.

-Flip out tech specs kinda sorta like the original.

-Bot mode is so spot-on IDW you kinda wish he'd come with a briefcase.

-Big, and not a lot of the usual obviously-hollow plastic-saving you see in a lot of other Hasbro toys.

-Pretty good articulation, really only lacking wrist and waist swivels.

Con:

-Odd design choices with the alt mode, including elbows too far forward, exposed hips on the fuselage, and legs that stick way out behind the jet. Oddly, the way the instructions are drawn the legs don't look like they stick out as far.

-Extremely poor QC. I've got paint flaking around the knees, paint that isn't overspray so much as random globs of blue on white plastic, and sprue marks that are so bad I could rip the parts for a Gundam model off the runner and not have sprue marks that bad. Seriously, I used nippers on some of them before filing them down.

-Some combination of sprue marks on the sides of the pilot's head or paint inside the neck hole made the head nearly impossible to get out. I actually pulled Brainstorm's head off with the headmaster head still in the port. Dunno if I broke something, but the head (and subsequently, Brainstorm's) is wobbly now.

-Terrible Headmaster. Aside from a ball-jointed neck, mostly to give Brainstorm himself a ball-jointed neck, he's no better articulated than the G1 toy, has a way worse sculpt, worse paint, and lacks the flip-down part that hides the fact that his back is a giant robot face.

If you want a Brainstorm that looks like the IDW version and don't care about some of the alt-mode issues, I think this toy is good for the price. Even with the issues, I think his alt mode still looks better than the upcoming Titans Return Deluxe version, which clearly looks like little wings and a chibi version of Brainstorm's nosecone slapped onto Blurr. If you want something a little more G1 and can afford the extra money, you might be better off with Fansproject's Smart Robin, assuming you can actually find one.

Oddly, the way the instructions are drawn the legs don't look like they stick out as far.

I think it was Voyager 2007 Starscream(or another "movie seeker" mold), but there WAS a change from the instructions to the actual toy, removing a hinge (saving parts/money), that altered how tightly the parts could fold/tuck up in alt mode. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Hasbro has ZERO concern for undercarriage junk on their jets.