The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Guest davidwhangchoi

TFSource is listing MP-31 as Delta Magnus, aka Powered Convoy, aka Ultra Magnus in Diaclone colors.

i wish with his diaclone colors they just made is trailer an armor forming around him like his g1 toy.

Just got MP-28. I know a lot of people still have doubts but he is amazing in hand, at least to me. Plus he has a ton of articulation for aweomse posing. I am biased as he's my favorite G1 character (yes Prime died because of him but his design is what floored me, even to this day) but damn what a welcome update of the mold. I loved MP-09 for what he was but hated that I couldn't do much with him as he never stood properly and could break at any moment. Now I have a Hot Rod I can mess around with and truly enjoy.

Ok got Hotrod[28] and Ironhide[27] and they are awesome. Fun to play with, and well articulated. Hotrod is a bit lighter than i imagined, but he is very solid and fun to pose. I am loving the face sculpts in this collection. Thanks TT

The announcement of a Takara version of Titans Return Galvatron has me far more excited.

Why? Is there any appreciable difference, beyond the nebulous "Hasbro is floppy crap while Takara makes products God wants to buy" argument/battle cry of the Takara fanpeople?

i wish with his diaclone colors they just made is trailer an armor forming around him like his g1 toy.

Dude, I wished they'd have done with with regular MP Magnus.

I got bored while playing with the baby this afternoon and watched peaugh's review of MP Magnus... so glad I passed on him.

i was never able to have Optimus as a child, I only had Ultra Magnus. I always wished Magnus was a another character, and not an Optimus + armor thing. I always wanted Magnus to be what he is today. I don't know why, but i really like Mp Magnus, and i think he is fun to transform. I only wish that front bumper was chrome and not red. That's my only gripe about him.

Some might say he is a bit on the bulky side, but i really like that about him.

i was never able to have Optimus as a child, I only had Ultra Magnus. I always wished Magnus was a another character, and not an Optimus + armor thing. I always wanted Magnus to be what he is today. I don't know why, but i really like Mp Magnus, and i think he is fun to transform. I only wish that front bumper was chrome and not red. That's my only gripe about him.

Some might say he is a bit on the bulky side, but i really like that about him.

Regarding the first questions. Since in my country it is cheaper to import Transformers form Japan than buy them in stores (where only 1/10 of the stuff shows up) I buy the Japanese versions and enjoy the extra attention of detail that the toys have (i.e. more paint apps).

Regarding MP Ultra Magnus. He is incredible fun to handle but there are some problems with the toy that mar the MP line from the point Hasui left the helm. The weird butt flap, the gaps in the shins and so on. Combined with qc issues like the gate marks on the forearms, inconsistent white paint (on my copy), hindered articulation and weird design choices (no matrix, no paint details on the legs) make him a so so toy. As a playable toy for adults he is ace though. He is also much better than Star Saber.

Regarding the first questions. Since in my country it is cheaper to import Transformers form Japan than buy them in stores (where only 1/10 of the stuff shows up) I buy the Japanese versions and enjoy the extra attention of detail that the toys have (i.e. more paint apps).

Ok, that makes sense.

I didn't watch any reviews on Star Saber, so I don't really have an opinion. I guess I'm glad for the Japanese fans who wanted him, but I'd never seen Victory and I have no attachment to the character so I wasn't going to shell out a ton of money for him.

Just got my MP Hot rod and I'm loving him. Was it a perfect release that was truly worthy of the Masterpiece namesake? Probably not. Not enough die-cast, too light, mismatched colors and gate marks on the chrome exhaust. Everyone will have to answer that for themselves, but I still think it was a very great release nonetheless. The articulation and posability of the toy are exceptional. I think he is the funniest Masterpiece to handle to date. His proportions don't look as bad in person as they do in the video's.

Regarding MP Ultra Magnus. He is incredible fun to handle but there are some problems with the toy that mar the MP line from the point Hasui left the helm. The weird butt flap, the gaps in the shins and so on. Combined with qc issues like the gate marks on the forearms, inconsistent white paint (on my copy), hindered articulation and weird design choices (no matrix, no paint details on the legs) make him a so so toy. As a playable toy for adults he is ace though. He is also much better than Star Saber.

Ha true, I forgot about those details. I have to admit, I was so excited with the Magnus, I didn't go clinical with it. Still like him though... a lot. A whole lot...

edit in: Hmm, reflecting on my previous posts. I should have been grateful I got Magnus as a child, but i was so lost in the character not being optimus, i missed how awesome it was to have optimus, in white, and with a trailer that could actually become the armor, HA.

Edited by vlenhoff

so much magnus talk. i do think the MP looks better in diaclone colors....unsure if i'm willing to fork over for it. i was always sad the MP wasn't an optimus center bot with armor, and thought the mp is too blocky. i think that could have been forgiven though because it does look pretty good (despite my qualms about it being too fat) if it only had a waist swivel. such a large figure without one just looks so static. its very had work to find a pose and an angle to make magnus look dynamic. :-( meanwhile KFC's citizen and dai stack are even more oversized for MP and while cool looking are less accurate to the source material. they do however have a waist swivel and i can't tell you how big a difference that is. he can actually look like he is walking, punching etc. i semi retired my citizen stack when mp magnus came in but dai stckk i still my diaclone magnus even if he is way tall....so understandably i'm conflicted abotu thi snew delta magnus release. on the plus side i won't have to paint his eyes yellow as they got tha tright it seems!

what was wrong with Star Saber? I don't have either and I'm not invested in either as characters; but from video reviews Star saber seemed nicer to me though.

I don't know what to think of Delta Magnus, either. Paint-wise, it looks like Takara did a better job than they did with MP-22. Part of that, I think is due to the fact that they are not bound to any kind of cartoon accuracy with this version. But Delta Magnus has better accessories too: including a Marissa Faireborn look-a-like and a complete set of faces with the yellow Diaclone eyes if you don't like the blue.

Articulation...No. I don't agree. It isn't fun at all. MP-22/MP-31 is a joke when it comes to articulation, especially when you consider other Transformers in the MP line. Too many compromises were made for this mold to carry other MP cars (and to transform Magnus like the cartoon). I think if Takara had compromised, even a little, on either of those points then we would have seen better articulation from MP Magnus.

Edited by technoblue

what was wrong with Star Saber? I don't have either and I'm not invested in either as characters; but from video reviews Star saber seemed nicer to me though.

If you are not tired of me ranting here is a link: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/1056750-least-favorite-figure-year-9.html#post13193959

Enjoy. :p:lol:

I think my biggest beef with the MP Magnus mold is that Combiner Wars Leader Magnus is almost as good at a price point where its problems are more forgivable, plus it's less chunky to boot. Granted, Leader Magnus isn't as G1 cartoon accurate, but he is accurate to the excellent More Than Meets the Eye comic right down to Minimus Ambus, and for me at least that makes it more palatable for him not to have a white Prime jammed up in there.

As for Star Saber, from what I can tel my complaints would be the huge forearms, the color scheme that looks like a McDonald's Happy Meal toy, and the fact that the alt mode with the V-Star attached looks like a pointy brick. I can't really fault the MP for any of that, though. For an MP it does seem to have a fairly simple transformation, but again I think that's more a problem with the character design than the toy.

While not exactly Transformers, it looks like Bandai & Action Toys are making progress on their new Machine Robo figs. https://www.facebook.com/loopaza/videos/1065790020149179/

There hasn't been much news about these since they were first shown last Feb, so I'm happy to see a few painted protos among the group. I'm interested in snapping up most of these guys, esp Leader 1, Snoop, and Spay-C. I'm surprised there isn't a Crasher or Cop-tur in there, but then these aren't based on the American Gobots show. Happily anticipating preorders.

You may now return to the Ultra Magnus discussion already in progress. B))

I think my biggest beef with the MP Magnus mold is that Combiner Wars Leader Magnus is almost as good at a price point where its problems are more forgivable, plus it's less chunky to boot. Granted, Leader Magnus isn't as G1 cartoon accurate, but he is accurate to the excellent More Than Meets the Eye comic right down to Minimus Ambus, and for me at least that makes it more palatable for him not to have a white Prime jammed up in there.

Good points. The lesson I learned with Magnus is that the MP line is still fallible. I don't mind that people enjoy MP-22 (or the new MP-31). For me, the mold doesn't click. And when considering CW Magnus, it seems even more obvious that MP-22 was still in the draft/prototype stage and released a little early. With CW Magnus, MTMTE fans got articulation (with some mods that can improve the toy) AND a little Minimus gimmick to go with the armor. It was really perplexing how the MP was overshadowed by the latter, mainstream CW release, but at least there are options.

They still look sweet. Can't wait to see the final products, seriously.

Yeah. The new Go Bots look better and better each time they are teased.

Edited by technoblue

I passed on MP UM, but the UW version looked great to me in promo pics, and he turned out to be a fantastic figure. Not perfect: I wish his wrists could swivel and that he had ankle tilts in bot mode, and that his loading ramps (shin armor) could sit flush to the ground, but these are fairly minor issues. I love the all-in-one transformation; despite the two part UM from the 80's, which I feel was due to toy tech limitations, this is the way I've always felt Magnus should be. Beyond that, I love the engineering involved to accomplish the transformation and still make him a fully functional tractor-trailer. I wish they'd done something similar for CW Motormaster, but you can't have everything. Initially, I wasn't too interested in the upcoming Powermaster Prime, as I generally don't buy multiple versions of a mold, but there are enough changes to the figure to justify it.

Looking forward to getting Titans Return Galvatron. TT did a great job on this figure, IMHO: http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/03/08/new-colored-images-takara-transformers-legends-titans-return-figures-311001

I'm here to gush about Ironhide.

BUT PRAHM!!

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2016/ironhide

^ WHEN ARE WE GOIN TO START BUSTIN SOME DECEPTICHOPS AND BE SENT TO OUR DOOM!!

Now more than ever we need a renewal Masterpiece Megatron just to shoot Ironhide in the face. :D

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Now more than ever we need a renewal Masterpiece Megatron just to shoot Ironhide in the face. :D

-b.

i would love a new scaled mp megatron

"Such heroic nonsense."

Such a great line in a a great scene of pointless slaughter. There's a part of me that will never forgive Hasbro for this scene, or for killing Prime. Yet, UM was blasted to pieces, and just reassembled good-as-new. <_<

But yeah, MP Megatron is a must. Judging by MP Shockwave's legs, they've found a solution to bulk up the legs in bot mode, and hopefully that'll carry over.

And, yep, the new Machine Robo/Gobots are pretty sweet, and hopefully they'll be reasonably priced when they finally get around to opening preorders. I'm thinking/hoping around $50. Less would be better, but considering these are kinda niche, plus production costs, I'm thinking the $50 range puts them comparably with most of the MP car-bots. I honestly don't know how popular MR is in Japan, so I welcome any correction to my assumption.

I think at this point I'd be ok with a MP tank Megatron. All I want is a fun to transform Megatron that isn't lanky or has parts that fall off all the time. I'm all in for a G2 repaint too!

Dammit Veef stop making me want Ironhide, I can wait for Ratchet...... maybe..... I hope.

Edited by dizman