The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

so yes, as Mike so elegantly stated above, Hasbro can , indeed, eat a d***.

I watch entirely too much Archer. ^_^

One gripe for both versions, however: I wish they'd ditch the awkward and insufficient hand/foot/weapon accessories and just make proper feet and hands, similar to what Perfect Effect are doing. It would vastly improve the look and articulation of the combined modes, even if the hands and feet just have to be set aside when they're not joined. Small price to pay, methinks.

Small price if you're only buying one or two Combiners. Not so small for me, who will have 7 of the darn things if/when I collect Sky Reign (not counting Computron, who's rumored to have exactly the sort of feet and hands you want since it's a gift set). 7 x $30 is a little over $200 (not counting shipping or whatever) just for hands and feet.

I recently decided to pick up some combiner wars figures. Not really into non-mp TF toys but i was bored and it scratched an iche to buy something in the store rather than have to mail-order it. Picked up most of the Optimus combiner at walmart. Started looking around town at other stores. Couldn't find any anywhere. What the hell? Even walmart only had a very minimal selection. Why are these so hard to find? Is this how it is everywhere else too? I can't believe Hasbro can't get these into stores considering how many billions of dollars the movies make.

The Voyagers are the worst to find. I don't know how it is in your area, but Legends figures have two or three pegs in most stores around here, and Deluxes might have two, but if a store even has a spot for Voyagers it's filled with leftover Roadbusters or Age of Extinction toys that are still hanging around. If you're having trouble finding limbs, that's a little surprising. While I've started seeing Bruticus' limbs popping up here and there, the Optimus Maximus limbs are pretty much what most stores around here seem to have in stock (skipping Defensor's limbs entirely).

If it's a newer guy you're after, like Bruticus, you can wait a little bit to see if his components start turning up in more places, or you can pay a little more and try places like BBTS or Amazon. If it's still the Optimus one you're after, I'll refer you back to my earlier post about HasbroToyShop. Their shipping is a little more than I'd like to pay (although they may have shipping deals over a certain amount), but their cheapest shipping was crazy fast for me.

I have a question to the Transformers historians out there:

Why where the feet of the G1 combiners off-centered. Since I never owned one of the them I was curious why this decision was made. The worst offender probably G1 Computron where one foot is perfectly centered (Lightspeed) while the other isn't (Nosecone):

computron-1_1191930223.jpg

If anyone knows more about it please let me know. Has it to do with ancient toy engineering or the fact that the Scramble City limbs all had to work as legs?

It looks like the feet were the last consideration and they made them in whatever way as to not be on top of each other. Not official, just a guess.

Well I guess this could be a possible explanation but I'm still curious if someone else noticed it (i.e. bugged by it) and if there are some questions that came up during discussions with Transformers designers during events such as Botcon. I can't be the first that noticed this right? :D

Some of the holes for the hands and feet to connect to were off center, I remember specifically Nosecone has a hole in the bottom of each foot, rather than the single hole that Strafe, Lightspeed and Afterburner had in their feet. In the photo above, you can see the two holes on the little orange block in Computron's ankle. The bottom where the foot piece connects is the same, two holes side by side, so the foot piece can't connect centered.

No Idea why he is that way, and the other three are different.

-- I've only seen maybe part of an ep or two. My years in the military endeared me to many a saying such as this, where we utilize them often.

Small price if you're only buying one or two Combiners. Not so small for me, who will have 7 of the darn things if/when I collect Sky Reign (not counting Computron, who's rumored to have exactly the sort of feet and hands you want since it's a gift set). 7 x $30 is a little over $200 (not counting shipping or whatever) just for hands and feet.

-- If Has/Tak just made better hands and feet to begin with, Perfect Effect's expensive add-on sets wouldn't be necessary. To be honest, I only own Menasor completely, and just a few limb bots from the other combiners that I liked. Bruticus is the only other combiner I'm interested in, having lost interest in CW and UW versions of Devastator. I have no plans to buy PE's add-ons, but that won't stop me from negatively critiquing the hand/foot/weapon parts, as they are simply inadequate, and just look bad.

The Voyagers are the worst to find. I don't know how it is in your area, but Legends figures have two or three pegs in most stores around here, and Deluxes might have two, but if a store even has a spot for Voyagers it's filled with leftover Roadbusters or Age of Extinction toys that are still hanging around. If you're having trouble finding limbs, that's a little surprising. While I've started seeing Bruticus' limbs popping up here and there, the Optimus Maximus limbs are pretty much what most stores around here seem to have in stock (skipping Defensor's limbs entirely).

-- Here in WA state, the availability situation seems to echo yours and Sandman's. Most of the Extinction toys have finally disappeared, having been put on clearance, but in most stores around, Deluxes are few, generally one or two pegs, and sometimes none at all, and Cyclonus and Leader Armada Megatron are the only larger sized figs. For Deluxes, I still see a few Protectobots, and I've seen a few Optimus Combiner figs (the G1 redecos). But pickins are indeed slim, and it seems to be the trend. On my last visit to TRU, they had a couple pegs of the RID Deluxes, and the huge Megatronus fig, as well as CW Leader Class Skywarp, which I was tempted to pick up. I love my Takara Jetfire, and the mold works pretty well for the seekers. Alas, I already had several new LEGO sets in my hands, and I didn't want to spend any more that day.

If it's a newer guy you're after, like Bruticus, you can wait a little bit to see if his components start turning up in more places, or you can pay a little more and try places like BBTS or Amazon. If it's still the Optimus one you're after, I'll refer you back to my earlier post about HasbroToyShop. Their shipping is a little more than I'd like to pay (although they may have shipping deals over a certain amount), but their cheapest shipping was crazy fast for me.

-- I'm waiting for the Takara release, which will likely have a shuttle mode for Blast Off, as well as a number of other more animation/G1 toy accurate changes. Other than Devy, this was the only other combiner I was really anticipating.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I actually managed to get all the Optimus combinders...kinda. I got the red Optimus instead of the battle core white one. It wasn't easy to get them. I thought I was doomed to never get ironhide but eventually did though he had smaller packaging that didn't include a comic.

Yeah never saw an ultra Magnus here which I really wanted. Didn't order him cause last year I ordered jet fire then saw him at Sears a week after I got him. Could've saved the shipping costs.

I actually managed to get all the Optimus combinders...kinda. I got the red Optimus instead of the battle core white one. It wasn't easy to get them. I thought I was doomed to never get ironhide but eventually did though he had smaller packaging that didn't include a comic.

Yeah never saw an ultra Magnus here which I really wanted. Didn't order him cause last year I ordered jet fire then saw him at Sears a week after I got him. Could've saved the shipping costs.

Leader Ultra Magnus is probably the best toy Hasbro released last year. As much as I love CW Devy, and as much as I can rationalize it's flaws as the result of selling a six-voyager combiner for $150, it's still flawed. Ultra Magnus is about perfect.

Are you in the US? You can still grab Ultra Magnus on Amazon for less than $40.

No Canada. Between shipping and the price exchange it gets too much. I'd have to let some of my macross stuff go which isn't going to happen.

I've seen CW UM all over the place when they came out but none recently. Here's one selling on Cybertron.ca

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=61965&highlight=ultra+magnus+combiner+wars

$55

I'll throw in my recommendation for Leader Ultra Magnus as well. Personally, I preferred and bought the Unite Warrior version for the improved paint apps, but the basic toy is solid in both modes, captures the look of the character very well (strong IDW influence), is easy to transform, and features a well-engineered all-in-one transformation (except the weapons, which have to be removed and reinstalled accordingly). Fun in hand, looks great on display. And, he's a fully functional car carrier to boot, although his loading ramps leave somewhat to be desired. Minor nitpick. Go get one while they can still be found affordably.

Blue MP Bluestreak and MP Tracks get honorable mentions for 2015. Bluestreak just looks gorgeous; I keep him and my other MP Autobots in a corner of my living room beside my tv, and my eyes are constantly drawn to him, Prowl, Silverstreak, and Smokescreen standing next to each other in their heroic poses. :wub: I so love that Fairlady Z mold.

No Canada. Between shipping and the price exchange it gets too much. I'd have to let some of my macross stuff go which isn't going to happen.

I'm in Canada too. My local TRU has some in stock. Pm me if you want me to mail you one.

In a move that probably surprised no one, Hasbro unveiled Titans Return Leader-class Soundwave.

My gut reaction was "Yay, we're finally getting a proper non-WfC/FoC CHUG Soundwave," but the last couple of Leader-classes have been pretty tall. In bot mode, I doubt he'd be much shorter than MP Soundwave, and MP Soundwave probably has a more compact alt-mode. So I'm not entirely sold on him.

In a move that probably surprised no one, Hasbro unveiled Titans Return Leader-class Soundwave.

My gut reaction was "Yay, we're finally getting a proper non-WfC/FoC CHUG Soundwave," but the last couple of Leader-classes have been pretty tall. In bot mode, I doubt he'd be much shorter than MP Soundwave, and MP Soundwave probably has a more compact alt-mode. So I'm not entirely sold on him.

He looks like he has better hip joints than MP Soundwave. :p

In my opinion the head looks pretty derpy. Something about the head creast to face to sun shield ratio is not correct.

He looks like he has better hip joints than MP Soundwave. :p

In my opinion the head looks pretty derpy. Something about the head creast to face to sun shield ratio is not correct.

Because it's a headmaster (well, Titan Master they're calling them)? It looks like the eyes and mouth plate are part of the headmaster, and the crest/sun shield fit over the headmaster, like G1 Scorponok.

I'm so confused by this. Why does he have a base mode? why is he a headmaster?

Edited by anime52k8

I'm so confused by this. Why does he have a base mode? why is he a headmaster?

I'm not caught up on the current fiction, but as far as I know that's the gimmick for the Titans Returns line. All the Deluxes, Voyagers, and Leaders are Headmasters. All the Voyagers are triple changers, and all the Leaders are going to have a base mode with their alt mode. The line will also introduce a new class, Titan Master, which is basically a head and a vehicle for the head to drive around in. All the Titan Returns heads are interchangeable. So yeah, while some of the characters in the line were actually Headmasters (Hardhead and Skullcruncher), some guys who weren't are now (Galvatron, Sentinel Prime, Optimus Prime, Blurr, Blaster, and Soundwave).

AFAIK, the new Legends molds will be cassettes with a third mode, like Rewind as a tank.

I thought Op was going to be a powermaster

Nope, he's just based on G1 Powermaster Prime/Super Ginrai. Like the other Titans Return figures, he'll be a Headmaster, and like Soundwave and Galvatron (and maybe all of the Voyager/Leader figures in the line?) the head robot transforms and plugs in, then the bulk of Prime's head covers it like a helmet. Like I said, he's a heavy retooling of Ultra Magnus. If you're familiar with Magnus, you know the part that forms his chest and hides the cab in bot mode? It's molded to let a little more of the cab show, and so that it looks sorta like something's plugged into Prime's grill. The downside to being a remold of Magnus is that, like Magnus, the cab doesn't form a smaller robot anymore, meaning that he can only do Super mode/Super Ginrai, not regular Optimus/Ginrai.

You can check him out here.

AFAIK, the new Legends molds will be cassettes with a third mode, like Rewind as a tank.

Possibly a silly question, but are the cassettes going to be actually micro-cassette sized and shaped so they'd work with g1/mp?

Possibly a silly question, but are the cassettes going to be actually micro-cassette sized and shaped so they'd work with g1/mp?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess not. Officially, they're not cassettes, they're "smart tablets" or some junk. In that mode, there are stickers that look like a cellphone screen, detail that looks sort of like a home button, etc. The dimensions don't look right for a micro-cassette.

They will, however, plug into Titans Return Leader-class Soundwave or Blaster.

Buzzsaw is actually coming out in the same Combiner Wars Legends wave as Shockwave, so I'm sure if you Google up on him there's probably reviews up.

Because it's a headmaster (well, Titan Master they're calling them)? It looks like the eyes and mouth plate are part of the headmaster, and the crest/sun shield fit over the headmaster, like G1 Scorponok.

I know that he is a Headmaster. The outer helmet shape still looks weird.

I hope Japan does a black and teal version of Powermaster Optimus Prime. Since I don't own CW Leader Ultra Magnus I want to experience the mold.

Agreed on Soundwave...just not quite right; Blaster looks good though. I wonder why they didn't make regular cassette figs; I love those things, as probably so do many other folks, and it's always neat to see what kind of cool origami they can pull off from something so small. MP Laserbeak still impresses the hell out of me.

I'm not really digging PM Prime, but that Galvatron looks fantastic to me, and both of his alts look decent. Scyla, I'd recommend tracking down UM, but PM Prime will likely be as fun in hand as UM; actually he'll likely be a little more involved in his transformation, since he has alot more panels to fold, plus a "battle station' mode, for what it's worth.

The "train" and "shuttle" modes of Sentinel are just inexcusably atrocious; as it's a given that this guy will be recycled into Astrotrain at some point, I hope there's some serious remolding to make his alt modes better. I'm gathering that Sentinel's alt modes are Cybertronian, hence the extraordinary fugliness of his alts, which seems to be the general hallmark of Cybertronian alt modes.

Oh, I agree that Soundwave just looks off... I think it's because a different head and blue paint on Blaster doesn't make Soundwave. I think the head is pretty spot on, though. But like I said, I doubt he'll be much shorter than MP Soundwave, so if I could stand a CHUG Soundwave that big, I might as well just use the MP one. Likewise, I don't know that I'll even get Blaster. He looks great, but he's just too big. There's a reason why UM and Megatron are the only CHUG Leaders I own.

I dig PM Prime. I wish he could make the regular robot and not just the super robot, even more so than Ultra Magnus, but I think Hasbro did a pretty good job of translating that UM mold into PM Prime. I'll probably grab one.

I agree that Galvatron is looking pretty awesome. Waaaay better than the old Deluxe-class. I think he's definitely worth buying, and I might. But, awhile back I bought Mania King to replace my Deluxe Galvatron, and I still prefer him to the new one.

Sentinel Prime just sucks. I can't think of any reason I'd even want one. Aside from looking crappy in all three modes, Sentinel Prime is dead in most TF fiction. I'm content to leave him dead. I'd rather Hasbro gave us a good Nova Prime. He'd need to be pretty extensively remolded for me to consider getting Astrotrain, too. Even though the classics Astrotrain is pretty ancient by now, it still looks better.

As far as the known Deluxes go, Skullcruncher and Hardhead look pretty good. I'm passing on Blurr, though, if the leaked images are the final colors.

I'll probably up for Fortress Maximus. I missed out on Metroplex, so I don't even mind too much if he's a remold, as long as he's got the double Headmaster thing going on.

Agreed on Soundwave...just not quite right; Blaster looks good though. I wonder why they didn't make regular cassette figs; I love those things, as probably so do many other folks, and it's always neat to see what kind of cool origami they can pull off from something so small. MP Laserbeak still impresses the hell out of me.

I'm not really digging PM Prime, but that Galvatron looks fantastic to me, and both of his alts look decent. Scyla, I'd recommend tracking down UM, but PM Prime will likely be as fun in hand as UM; actually he'll likely be a little more involved in his transformation, since he has alot more panels to fold, plus a "battle station' mode, for what it's worth.

The "train" and "shuttle" modes of Sentinel are just inexcusably atrocious; as it's a given that this guy will be recycled into Astrotrain at some point, I hope there's some serious remolding to make his alt modes better. I'm gathering that Sentinel's alt modes are Cybertronian, hence the extraordinary fugliness of his alts, which seems to be the general hallmark of Cybertronian alt modes.

I will wait for the black and teal PM Prime repaint. This will fit much nicer into my collection than an Ultra Magnus or regular PM Prime. I think the MP-22 is the definitive Ultra Magnus and I don't need anything else. Maybe one 3rd Party company will do one in the MP scale but I doubt it.

Seeing how Takara seems more interested in BW Masterpiece Transformers right now I could see that the independent toy makers finishing all the G1 bots that Takara didn't do and than move onwards to BW also.Of course this could all be a 20th anniversary thing but only so who knows.

I'm definitely digging the TR Galvatron though. I really like the old deluxe tank Galvatron though so I'm not sure if I need a update with hollow limbs. :p

Guys, I think I fixed my biggest gripe with Combiner Wars Blast Off.

post-187-0-27040900-1452817714_thumb.jpg

I found another Combiner Wars Vortex at Walmart, so I popped the head off and repainted it myself. I'm waiting for it to dry so I can touch it up. I'll slap some paint on Vortex's body, pop the old Blast Off head on him, call him Blackout, and voila, Galvatronus has another limb to go with Offroad.

Speaking of Combiner Wars, on Hasbro's official site if you click on Defensor it lists Blades, First Aid, Streetwise, Hot Spot, and Groove, with no mention of Rook. When you click on Groove, it shows some new artwork of him looking more G1 than the Legends-class in the same sort of style as that Transformers Legends mobile card game, but on the left it says "Groove (Deluxe) combines to form the left arm of Defensor." Now, the image of the combined Defensor has Rook as the left arm and Legends Groove on the chest, but this is still sparking all sorts of rumors of an impending Hasbro release of Deluxe Groove.

Exclusive Deluxe Groove and shuttle Vortex wave!! Just like they did for Superion and Menasor. Now THATS a rumor. :D

It'd be awesome if they did that, as long as they decide to do it before I put money down on Unite Warriors Bruticus. Like I said, I don't need a Deluxe Groove enough to drop $160 on him, but I will for a shuttle Blast Off.

EDIT: The Combiner Wars Onslaught I overpaid for arrived today. I think he might be the best all-around of the Voyagers. His knees lock together better than Hot Spot's, so I'm mostly able to get better poses out of him than Hot Spot. He doesn't have the ladder, which means he can't cheat by leaning on it, but he's got less junk back there and he's got fold out heels to help him. All around, his bot mode is very spot on. His alt-mode is a little weaker. He's got gaps... I think Hot Spot had them too, but Hot Spot seemed to have more junk on him to hide it. I have to give him credit, though... by changing his feet they ditch the fire engine front-end, and by adding bits to his shoulders they create a sort of cab at the other end, giving Onslaught a look that is mostly evocative of his G1 alt-mode and visually different than Hot Spot's. Finally, like Hot Spot he makes a great torso. He doesn't have the wrap-around ladder gimmick, but Onslaught's backpack unfurls nicely into Bruticus's chest and pelvis plate, which helps sell the image.

My complaints are fairly small. It's a bit of a bummer than Onslaught/Bruticus' only weapon are the back cannons. In my mind, they're attached to Onslaught/Bruticus' back and necessary to complete the look. Well, this is technically a complaint I have with Brawl, too, and one I easily rectified by deciding that my Leader-class Megatron doesn't need guns besides his fusion cannon. So I swiped his rifle. Separately, Onslaught wields the larger part of the gun and Brawl get the smaller part, and the combined guns become Bruticus' weapon. Easy enough. And of course, there's also Legends Shockwave.

Another complaint, easily fixed, is his transformation. Officially, the instructions have you fold Onslaught's feet up, as in alt mode, and extend his arms so that when he bends his elbows his forearms sit on top of Bruticus and the combiner ports are behind his chest. For the feet, I like to leave them down. A smaller bulge at the knee bothers me less than a smaller random bump mid-thigh. As for the arms, I feel like they draw obscure his back cannon, which I think of as part of Bruticus' signature look, and make attaching combiner limbs slightly more of a pain. If you switch the gun barrels around, so the hand pegs are pointing in toward's Bruticus' back, though, you'll have enough room to position Onslaught's arms the same way you do Hot Spot's, keeping Onslaught's forearms out of sight on Bruticus' back and conveniently putting the combiner ports back on top.

My last complaint is less easily fixed, but still pretty minor, and that's Bruticus' head. It's the wrong color! It's colored more like the G2 version, with a silver mouth plate and more of a gunmetal color for the "helmet." It seems sort of an odd choice, since in both the animation and the G1 toy the "helmet" is the same color as the mouth plate, and on the toy it's the same color as his chest plate. I'd definitely prefer if CW Bruticus' head were a lighter gray here.

Minor complaints aside, Onslaught's a pretty good toy all-around and helps propel CW Bruticus to the best of combiners in the Combiner Wars line (not counting Devastator). Take my pleasure with Bruticus, change some paint apps (gray head on Bruticus, lighter gray on Vortex, a more green/less olive Brawl, replace Blast-Off with an actual shuttle, and slightly remold Vortex so that he has 4 rotor blades, and I'll have no qualms about double-dipping on the Unite Warriors version. Heck, he's awesome enough that I'm even thinking about getting the G2 gift set...

Edited by mikeszekely

Do you have the legends class Shockwave for Bruticus to hold? I think it is intended for him to have him as a gun since the G2 set has Shockwave included. Shockwave is basically the WhatsHisName/Blackjack/Groove of the Combaticons.