The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Hot Rod doesn't really grab me. the hood chest looks too plain, or something. I'll reserve judgement after we see him with paint. Gotta say, though, I do like like his car mode.

The Mighty Shockwave! A much needed addition to the Decepticon team, who are woefully outnumbered. Surprised they're releasing Shockwave before a new Megatron, though. Maybe they had one in the works, and the Tak team were high-fivin'. Then Apollyon came out, and they were like, 'Dammit!' :lol:

Seeing more upcoming G1 MP releases gives me hope that Takara are going to continue this line even while working the Beast Wars stuff. I hope Hound or Jazz are next in line, or a new improved F-15 Seeker mold. An official Cyclonus would also be welcome.

SHOCKWAVE! WHOOOOOOOOO!

Just remember, Takara... lights and sound. I know you can do it.

I hate lights and sounds with a vengeance. I hate lights and sounds with the intensity of a thousand suns! *rage*

Please Takara make Shockwave with a nicely painted eye. I promise to buy your products in the future if you hear my pleads. :D

i am proclaiming the age of quakewave to be over. while its yet to be seen which is the better toy in hand (i suspect quakey will still feel better), takara's accurate proportions (large bulbous torso, both wide and deep) and swoopy legs (though the feet themselves are way too thin IMO) and tampo'd cons signs will win the day. my quakewave's will be "clone" troopers in Shockwave's army in my own personal fiction lol. i do hope they go with a clearish chest ala the G1 toy and quakewave though. also i wonder if toon colors will be done or toy colors. also.....shackwave (radio shack version)...wonder if it willb e done....its not like a diaclone where it was a takara thing anyway....

hot rod looks way better than the silhouette. i might have to get him though i hate his character.

I hate lights and sounds with a vengeance. I hate lights and sounds with the intensity of a thousand suns! *rage*

Please Takara make Shockwave with a nicely painted eye. I promise to buy your products in the future if you hear my pleads. :D

i'm of the opposite opinion if it doesn't hinder the toy in any other way. the current direction with masterpiece TF though....it own't have lights or sound. i do think it'd be awesome if the eye was both painted and lit up....expeically if it flashed like when shockwave talks.

i am proclaiming the age of quakewave to be over. while its yet to be seen which is the better toy in hand (i suspect quakey will still feel better), takara's accurate proportions (large bulbous torso, both wide and deep) and swoopy legs (though the feet themselves are way too thin IMO) and tampo'd cons signs will win the day. my quakewave's will be "clone" troopers in Shockwave's army in my own personal fiction lol. i do hope they go with a clearish chest ala the G1 toy and quakewave though. also i wonder if toon colors will be done or toy colors. also.....shackwave (radio shack version)...wonder if it willb e done....its not like a diaclone where it was a takara thing anyway....

hot rod looks way better than the silhouette. i might have to get him though i hate his character.

i'm of the opposite opinion if it doesn't hinder the toy in any other way. the current direction with masterpiece TF though....it own't have lights or sound. i do think it'd be awesome if the eye was both painted and lit up....expeically if it flashed like when shockwave talks.

The problem I have with lights and sounds are manifold (to keep it somewhat on topic lets use Quakewave):

• The light up areas don't look as good when the light is off but I can't have the light on all the time. In fact when the toy is in the display area looking pretty the lights will be off 90% of the time. Quakewaves eye looks dim when not switched on it takes away so much personality from a character that can't express emotions through facial expressions. He looks like a switched off robot instead of an intelligent and scheming individual.
  • The switches for the lights are usually not hidden well. of course there are exceptions like the HotToys Iron Man figures where the switch is hidden behind a panel but on Quakewave it is a black switch that is not hidden well.
  • The battery compartments can potentially damage the toy because the acid inside the batteries can leak. (this is a problem with all battery powered functions).
  • The electronics take up room and hinder the toys in aesthetics, transformation and posing . Case in point Quakewave where the electronics hinder the hose on the arm to be rotated to the back of the arm in robot-mode. It can hinder articulation because of wires inside moving parts
  • The electronics are another component that is prone to breakage. Wit Quakewave you the electronics in the arm can be damaged by sliding the gun in alt-mode position during transformation. On a toy that is both an action figure and a transforming piece you have many parts that move during play which makes the breakage even more likely especially if you have to use thin wire that run inside the pieces and not rely on big sound and light boxes.

I can understand the appeal of a light-up area. For example I think that the GN-Drives on the PG 00 are awesome. However in most cases it is not implemented well and ticks of one or more items in the above list. For a feature that is used during a faction of the toys shelf-live the caveats are not worth it for me.

I'm ok with the lights on the weapons of the Iron Dibots from Fanstoys because the are pretty unobtrusive (they still have the ugly switch in the handles) and the light-up visor on Feral Rex because it looks almost black when not light up and the switch is nicely hidden. However I think both toys would have benefited in the design if the LEDs where omitted. In addition the extra costs for the electronics could have been invested into more paint apps or a higher parts count.

I don't think that a transforming toy need electronics because they have so much packed into them (2+ modes, a puzzle and an action feature). So what do you think about LEDs in transforming toys. Help me to understand their appeal.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Awesome, simply awesome!

SHOCKWAVE! WHOOOOOOOOO!

Just remember, Takara... lights and sound. I know you can do it.

Yes! please... I need some sounds

I don't think that a transforming toy need electronics because they have so much packed into them (2+ modes, a puzzle and an action feature). So what do you think about LEDs in transforming toys. Help me to understand their appeal.

Can't terrorize the dog if the gun doesn't go bew-bew and woooom.

Basically, nostalgia.

And it does look like the original fold-up backpack is there, so there's a big hunk of empty space to fit the beooOOoo and zzzzzt maker.

As a big Hot Rod fan, there's a lot of area that I'm not impress with this new version, example the flat chest and no detail collar, the Wing spoiler, the knee joint (it's missing that round joint). And that front skirt, doesn't appear to split, which means he will show his wee-wee again. Of course I will still buy it, regardless. Hopefully they will improve it in the production version.

Still love my mp-09, but I'll keep him as Rodimus Prime once the new MP Hot Rod arrive.

post-7962-0-51866800-1443218446_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-36029200-1443218474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie2008

Interesting.

MP Hot Rod is an automatic buy for me, nostalgia and all. Hopefully it turns out much better than the original MP Hot Rod/Rodimus release to justify the purchase.

-b.

Me too. It's the only Transformers character I buy. No need for the trailer. ;)

As a big Hot Rod fan, there's a lot of area that I'm not impress with this new version, example the flat chest and no detail collar, the Wing spoiler, the knee joint (it's missing that round joint). And that front skirt, doesn't appear to split, which means he will show his wee-wee again. Of course I will still buy it, regardless. Hopefully they will improve it in the production version.

Still love my mp-09, but I'll keep him as Rodimus Prime once the new MP Hot Rod arrive.

I have the same mixed feelings about Hot Rod.

Pros:

- slick legs and feet, looks more screen accurate to me

- better arms and hands (!)

- no awkward shoulder joints

- much nicer head

Cons:

- pelvis flap carried over from MP-09

- spoiler sitting way to far away from the main robot body, again carried over from MP-09

- the "belly-bonnet", IMO that should be flush with the waist

Regarding the release annoucement in general, the real Autobot couterpart to go with Shockwave should have been PERCEPTOR!!

Would have been so matching, the two science officers from each side.

Regarding the release annoucement in general, the real Autobot couterpart to go with Shockwave should have been PERCEPTOR!!

Would have been so matching, the two science officers from each side.

Yessssss.

They also both have "extra" parts sticking out. A gunbarrel and hose in Shockwave's case, a big cannon on the shoulder in Perceptor's.

Can't wait for MP shockwave. Never got into the unlicensed version.

Masterpiece-Shockwave-and-Hot-Rod.jpg

What a difference Takara makes :D

PCvFL2s.jpg

I think the legs are the biggest deal for me. Shockwave had such distinctive legs in the show and as a toy, that Quakwave never really captures. Their head wasn't quite long enough in the right places eitheer.

Edited by Gakken85

yeah to be fair takara's is not as swoopy as the g1 toy nor anime either. quakewave was trying to avoid the G1 toy skinny leg day missed syndrome but over compensated and also dropped some of the swoopyniess. a bigger problem for me was the torso was too narrow and not deep enough. still, on its own....pick up a quakewave and you can't tell me its not a great toy. from certain angles it still looks awesome....straight on in a static pose was never its strength.