The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I'll get one for you in a few hours when I have it in-hand (literally). But from memory, the headsculpt is definitely Jazz as well.

I'd say it's a knock-off but other than the recolor, it's identical. BTW - I colored the windows black with a permanent fabric marker from Sharpie.

Thanks for the comparison pic.

Quick update:

Found this http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/new-transformers-knockoff-thread-t57s2050.php (Look through the thread and there's a shot of a bunch of minis there)

which suggests it's a knock-off (KOToys?). But maybe KO doesn't mean Knock-Off. I've been out of the TF game for a long time now.

Edited by mickyg

Playing devil's advocate, from 2007 until about 2013, deluxes were better quality with more complexity, better paint apps, and less hollow areas for about $10-12. CW and RID figs are very simplistic, with a lot of hollow areas, very minimal paint apps, for about $16. There's a remarkable step back in quality, for which we pay an additional $4. My TF buying has lessened considerably as a result.

The price-to-quality ratio really becomes jarring when one considers that Alternators sold for about $20 at retail for what was a near MP grade toy from '03-'07ish. I agree with MikeSzekely that Generations & RID are not MP grade toys and shouldn't carry the expectations of such; however, given the success of the live action films, the continuing popularity of the TF brand across multiple merchandising platforms, and the increased prices at retail, Hasbro would be sitting quite well financially, and the quality of their products would reflect. I know the Star Wars stuff looks pretty good these days, but TFs, at least in part, look to have been the victims of serious budgetary restraints. I think it's also odd that the MP line is almost entirely Asian exclusive, with only infrequent, limited, and more expensive releases through TRU exclusively stateside. I can only assume that MPs don't sell well, which seems odd to me given that there is a huge fanbase here, many of us who grew up watching the original show/movie, with much more disposable income and a nostalgic compulsion to own these things. The successes of the various third parties adds credence to my argument. There is undoubtably a market for MP TF toys in America, but apparently Hasbro doesn't think so, for whatever reason.

To end on a positive note, the regular CHUGs line, apart from most of the CW stuff, still seem to be holding in their overall quality. Arcee, Chromia, Springer, Powerglide, Shrapnel, and Bombshell are all really well done, esp Arcee. :wub:

Now that I understand what CHUGs are, those are what I'm mostly buying, unless they are a disappointment or they don't appeal to me (anymore). I have Springer, Sandstorm, Blitzwing, Arcee, Chromia, and some others. I wish Arcee was a bit larger with more detail and more weapons.

Now that the MP line is recreating all the G1 toys, that is the line I will mostly concentrate on (and 3rd party stuff when I have the money). It would be nice if they could up the MP line by adding display stands, and more accessories for display purposes.

It is a huge let down that Hasbro isn't bringing this line over simultaneously.

I think since the Hasbro TF dvision has changed leadership, they're doing things differently.

I was ecstatic when they were releasing the Commemorative line and seeing all those G1s back in TRU was heaven. Now, not so much.

Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations. Although they've had more labels than that now (like Combiner Wars, Legends, Unite Warriors, Reveal the Shield, etc), it's become a blanket term for the Transformers line that is, essentially, updated versions of G1 (and occasionally Beast Wars or Armada) toys vs Transformers lines representing current movies or shows.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

hey guys i got this in the mail today:

very happy to get some G1 stuff!

IMG_2370_zpsgylypcz2.jpg

now onto trypticon!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Sweet! I still have my Metroplex boxed...although the box is beat to crap.

thx! yeah, they're both sealed, not sure if i'm going to open and play with them or keep them sealed to collect.

Yeah modern toys are nice and all, but the quality aren't the same. The new masterpiece are great and all, but it doesn't have the same feeling when you pick it up. I missed the old toys which had die-cast and rubber tires.

Yeah modern toys are nice and all, but the quality aren't the same. The new masterpiece are great and all, but it doesn't have the same feeling when you pick it up. I missed the old toys which had die-cast and rubber tires.

You're right. The modern toys feel better. ;)

Seriously, the old toys were just as floppy, artificially heavy (diecast is seriously overrated), poorly proportioned, and inarticulate. Don't get me wrong, there were some seriously cool ones, but for most characters I'll take CHUGs over original G1s or reissues,

You're right. The modern toys feel better. ;)

Seriously, the old toys were just as floppy, artificially heavy (diecast is seriously overrated), poorly proportioned, and inarticulate. Don't get me wrong, there were some seriously cool ones, but for most characters I'll take CHUGs over original G1s or reissues,

+1

Even in the 80's, the vast majority of TF toys were disappointments due to the lack of articulation. I'll take modern engineering anyday. The MP line is really the answer to my teenage prayers. So far, they were worth the wait.

I guss you guys missing my point, maybe because I'm not explaning correctly. Don't get me wrong, I'll take modern toys over the 80's toys anytime, but modern toys lack dicast and rubber tires, so when I pick it up, it feels light and in the back of my mind I expected to be heavy and when it's not heavy I'm a bit disappointed.

I guss you guys missing my point, maybe because I'm not explaning correctly. Don't get me wrong, I'll take modern toys over the 80's toys anytime, but modern toys lack dicast and rubber tires, so when I pick it up, it feels light and in the back of my mind I expected to be heavy and when it's not heavy I'm a bit disappointed.

I understand. There's a certain feel that I get handling a fresh out of the box vintage TF, that smell of real rubber, the gleam of diecast. The weight

of quality that will allow this to last decades. It's a great feeling... but it's also a great feeling to have something new that can pose.

If only we could get the new MP's with a few more bits of diecast and rubber tires... and not cost a fortune. damn you world economy!

Diecast does not mean anything and plastic isn't exactly light or cheap. I know there are cheap looking plastic toys, and there are high quality plastic toys, it depends on the quality.

There's plenty of TFs that are all plastic and have heft to them, but being heavy is not always a good idea.

When the diecast starts to wear down, it really looks bad, like battery acid almost.

I do agree with the rubber tires. I like them and so far, none of the rubber tires on my TFs have split or cracked yet.

eriku, LMAO. Yeah, you do that. :lol:

I do dig rubber tires, although I remember losing a few of them from my G1 toys.

I think that diecast is totally overrated, though. I think older collectors like it because it can make a toy weightier, and because it reminds us of the toys we had as kids.

Anyways... still no luck finding Rook, but on a whim I picked up Robots in Disguise Grimlock. I wasn't planning on getting any of the figures from the RiD line, and as we discussed before the cartoon isn't so hot. But, if there is one thing I do like about the cartoon, it's Grimlock. He's slow without being G1 slow, and as destructive and violent as some of the comic book versions but in a sort of happy-go-lucky way. I almost hate to admit it, but he's become one of my favorite versions of Grimlock. I actually even dig the black and green color scheme.

As far as toys go... in some ways I'm disappointed that the RiD "warrior" class is the same price point as Generations Deluxe. As much we've complained about Deluxes getting smaller and having hollow spots, Grimlock is actually nearly a head shorter than Combiner Wars First Aid. He's got his fair share of hollow spots, too... on the insides of his shoulders, the insides of his forearms, and most of his back (to be fair, though, dino head covers the hollow area of the back). No waist, ankle, or wrist articulation. His neck is on a swivel, not a ball joint, so he can turn his head about 90 degrees to the left or right but can't tilt his head. His hips and shoulders aren't ball-jointed, either. Instead, there are multiple joints. His shoulders can rotate 360 degrees where the joint connects to the torso, but that joint has a pin through it, and the arm is attached to the pin so it can swivel Likewise, his elbows can turn, and his arms are connected to the elbow on a ratchet that can bend about 90 degrees. His hips are similar to his shoulders. The can rotate forward and backward, and his legs are pinned in and can swing inward or outward on the pin. The leg can rotate at the top of the thigh, and his knee bends a little less than 90 degrees. The resulting poseability is less than any of the CW Deluxes, but it's fair.

Transformation is similar to G1/MP/Animated/FoC. The dino head and arms are on Grimmy's back, the robot arms become the dino legs, and the robot legs become the dino tail. The main difference is that the dino torso isn't wings, it's mostly Grimlock's. Just the ends of the torso pivot downward, and the dino arms rotate from the back to the front. Grimlock's legs split in half, with half making his dino-butt (and his feet making the back), and the other half making most of the tail. The rest of the tail is folded out from the left leg; interestingly, a matching tail is molded onto the inside of the right leg, but it's just for show. The resulting dino has solid proportions and no real robot kibble, which is to say that he's slightly better than FoC Grimlock in that regard, but but does have a hollow gap around his dino-crotch.

He doesn't come with any weapon or accessories... which honestly is true to the show, but kind of furthers the idea that he's less value for the money than a Generations Deluxe. His hands are molded in such a way that he can hold a weapon, though. Also, in dino mode, if you push forward on on of the spikes on his neck his mouth opens.

I'd say that if you're into Transformers, there are better choices in the same price range. If you like Grimlock, though, especially the RiD version, he's got a solid transformation, reasonable articulation, and pretty true to the animation in both modes (although he could use more paint).

Guest davidwhangchoi

Don't get me wrong, there were some seriously cool ones, but for most characters I'll take CHUGs over original G1s or reissues,

crazy! but i guess people may feel the same since chugs are pretty popular.

G1 or MP's which are faithful nod to G1's baby!

eriku, LMAO. Yeah, you do that. :lol:

I have done that, several times. To me there's no difference to between opening a sealed G1 toy that cost $200 and opening a $200 Macross toy that just came out.

I don't buy stuff because of rarity or perceived value, I buy it because I want to put my hands all over it. B))

Anyone want CW Cyclonus? Purple is so wrong I don't want him----never even been transformed. (I decided to sell him about 10 secs after I crushed the packaging to throw it away...)

I am becoming less enthralled with CW by the minute----decided Wildrider and Cyclonus weren't good enough to keep, will probably sell Breakdown too. Dragstrip is the only good one so far IMHO. Aerialbots are "ok+".

crazy! but i guess people may feel the same since chugs are pretty popular.

G1 or MP's which are faithful nod to G1's baby!

Well, the problem with G1s (as I might have already said) is that after you take away the nostalgia a lot of them are just really crappy toys. I mean, a modern CHUG gets ripped apart of the articulation is only sort of limited, but if I'm not mistaken G1 Prowl's legs are physically connected to each other, never mind the fact that they don't move. Mind you, I'm not defending a crappy CHUG, but on the whole modern engineering > nostalgia IMHO.

Anyone want CW Cyclonus? Purple is so wrong I don't want him----never even been transformed. (I decided to sell him about 10 secs after I crushed the packaging to throw it away...)

I am becoming less enthralled with CW by the minute----decided Wildrider and Cyclonus weren't good enough to keep, will probably sell Breakdown too. Dragstrip is the only good one so far IMHO. Aerialbots are "ok+".

I'm going to pass on Cyclonus, because frankly I think the Deluxe version from a couple of years ago looks way better (and the one from the Cyclonus/Hot Rod/Galvatron box set that was at Target even better still). If you still have after awhile, though, check back with me... I've kind of noticed that releasing Alpha Bravo and Offroad before Wildrider and Slingshot means I wound up with surplus limbs... which sort of makes me want torsos to pair with them.

I know you tend to be a tad more critical, because things that may not bother other people can be total deal breakers for you (like a particular shade of purple/blue), but my experience with Combiner Wars has been kind of the opposite of yours. I actually like the Stunticons better than the Aerialbots (although I think Superion is better than Menasor, mainly because of Menasor's weird hips and thighs), and of the Stunticons Wildrider and Dead End are my favorites. I'm more likely to have the Stunticons posed individually than the Aerialbots, who are almost always combined.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well, the problem with G1s (as I might have already said) is that after you take away the nostalgia a lot of them are just really crappy toys.

Never! ("Optimus swinging at Megatron") G1 are forever!

articulation? my prowl bunny hops around and transforms to a police car if he needs to get around my coffee table.

When I was a teen, Prowl was my favorite TF, but I couldn't abide his unileg. So, I removed the plastic piece connecting them, all the metal pins, and cut the plastic part connecting the legs in the crotch. Unfortunately, I had no experience modifying toys at the time, and it was a doomed venture leaving my G1 Prowl in pieces. I never bought another G1 Prowl, hoping instead for updated versions of the toy. The Alternators version was a serious WTF, esp when the Suburu WRX or the Mazda RX-8 molds were far more fitting for his G1 look. At that point, I really anticipated the eventual CHUG version, esp after Mirage, Bumblebee, and Hound were so well done; it was a little disappointing, esp since it was based on the IDW design, and the head sat a bit too high due to the spring-loaded reveal mechanism. So I waited, and then MP Sideswipe was announced, and looked amazing. Hope burned within me like a 1000 suns for Takara to make Prowl, and when they announced it, and it looked absolutely awesome, it was like closure. I rarely by multiples of any mold, but I got Prowl, Silverstreak, and Smokescreen, I just so love the basic figure.

Have to agree with Mikeszekely concerning RiD Grimlock; nice rendition of the character, with a different yet similar take on the original transformation, with a look that's reminiscent of Animated. There's very little in the way of kibble on the bot mode, and I also like the green and black color scheme. One caveat: the grey ratchet piece was too loose in my copy's right arm, and caused the elbow to lock up at 90 deg. I used a little more force than I should have to straighten the arm again, and sustained a little cracking of the plastic which houses said ratchet. I ended up pushing out the elbow pin, removing the forearm, and epoxying the ratchet mechanism in place. Once reassembled, it works great without stressing the plastic anymore. This seems to be a recurrent problem with this figure. Drift is the only other RiD fig I've bought, and while it seems to get a bit of criticism, I like him. Granted, Hasbro seriously skimped on paint apps (as seems to be their SOP these days), but I like the look of both his modes, and his articulation is decent. My only criticism is that the connection point for the waist skirts whould have been attached to the hips so they can move with the legs, rather than being attached above the hips, which hinders leg movement. I may get RiD Sideswipe if I see him in the store. Beyond these figs, the line and the show don't really grab me.

When I was a teen, Prowl was my favorite TF, but I couldn't abide his unileg.

In all honesty, I think half of why I loved Shockwave so much WAS the fact that he had two legs and joints where joints belonged.

The other half, of course, was that he turned into a raygun with light and sound. :p

But look on the bright side. If Prowl HAD had two separate legs, you'd've had shattered Prowls ANYWAYS. That's the lesson I took away from Tracks, anyways.

I think I may actually be bitter about my Tracks experience.

When I was a kid, I liked any TF that had separate legs, and even better, leg articulation, which was a rarity with the 80's and early 90's toys. Ironically, I don't think I owned many, except Sludge, Soundwave, knockoffs of the Decepticon humanoid cassettes, and Tracks. I'm not aware of your Tracks experience, JBO, but it sounds bad, and you have my condolences.

The majority of my 80's TF toys have survived to the present with little in the way of wear, as I didn't really play with them. From an early age, I generally always took care of my toys; I never really had a destructive inclination. I was always aghast when I'd hear of kids shooting their GI Joes with BB guns, and such tales of wanton destruction. Purposely breaking your stuff never made sense to me; still doesn't. I cringe a little inside when I see a perfectly well made model of a ship or such blown up in a movie, knowing how much work was put into the model to make it as photorealistic as possible.

In a thousand years, archaeologists are going to find all these caches of toys and naturally presume that they were our gods; I want my god collection to be in great shape so they know my devotion was strong. :p And the Ancient Astronaut Theorists, led by Giorgio Tsoukalos' umpteenth great grandchild with unruly hair, will still proclaim that my valk collection clearly shows that aliens were developing transforming jets to build skyscrapers, and that they took the valks with them when they left, which is why no physical evidence of a transforming fighter has ever been found, beyond these small representations. ;) Ya know it's true.

I can remember wanting Soundwave soooooooooo bad when I was a kid much more than I ever wanted OP coz I thought SW can actually be a radio and play cassette tapes or something. Then I saw Blaster at the dept-stores display. He was much bigger and bright colors. But his deck didn't open and I was like WTF? FAIL!

I never did get any of them, tho. Too expensive for my folks.

I believe they did make a functional SW and Blaster radio/player years after.

I can remember wanting Soundwave soooooooooo bad when I was a kid much more than I ever wanted OP coz I thought SW can actually be a radio and play cassette tapes or something. Then I saw Blaster at the dept-stores display. He was much bigger and bright colors. But his deck didn't open and I was like WTF? FAIL!

I never did get any of them, tho. Too expensive for my folks.

I believe they did make a functional SW and Blaster radio/player years after.

Hasbro removed the electronics from Soundwave and Blaster for their G1 release. They both had a working radio with headphones. Blaster's headphones could be stored in his gun which is why it has that hole in it.

The Device Label Soundwaves could play MP3 files through a micro SD card.

Ravage was my first Transformer. I got Soundwave shortly after to go with him. :D

Ravage was my favorite cassette TF, but I only had a knock-off of the G1 version. Classics Hound and Ravage was my first official Ravage, and then MP Ravage with Soundwave. It's amazing what they've accomplished with the engineering of these little figs while maintaining the original micro-cassette scale. I always figured that they'd go to the full sized cassette if they ever did a MP scale, but I'm kinda glad they stuck with the original. Definitely makes more sense scale wise, esp next to MP Bee.

The Japanese always get the best versions of TFs, not only with paint apps, but also the odd realistic feature, such as G1 Megs could fire pellets, and both Soundwave and Blaster had radios installed. I'm sure there are more examples, but those two always come to mind.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Then I saw Blaster at the dept-stores display. He was much bigger and bright colors. But his deck didn't open and I was like WTF? FAIL!

Believe it or not the eject button did open blasters deck but it was extremely hard. you really had to force down the grey button to get it open. soundwave's eject button was much smoother.

The Device Label Soundwaves could play MP3 files through a micro SD card.

I think it's a mini SD card, a sort of in-between size between a standard SD card and a micro SD card. The mini SD is notoriously hard to find. I tried to hunt one down for my Music Label Soundwave, but none of the stores carried those.

I think it's a mini SD card, a sort of in-between size between a standard SD card and a micro SD card. The mini SD is notoriously hard to find. I tried to hunt one down for my Music Label Soundwave, but none of the stores carried those.

You're right, just checked, it is a mini SD. :wacko: Such a great figure too, I used to take it everywhere when traveling.

Seriously, MiniSD? The HELL?

Best bet is get a MicroSD-MiniSD adapter.

Best bet for THAT is to find a MicroSD card that comes with a full set of adapters. Because that's seriously the only place I've ever seen MiniSD in any form.

You're right, just checked, it is a mini SD. :wacko: Such a great figure too, I used to take it everywhere when traveling.

Yeah, he's an awesome figure. He's the perfect Classics Soundwave as far as I'm concrned. I have him placed next to WFC deluxe Soundwave, for a sort of Cybertronian vs Earth mode display.

Seriously, MiniSD? The HELL?

Best bet is get a MicroSD-MiniSD adapter.

Best bet for THAT is to find a MicroSD card that comes with a full set of adapters. Because that's seriously the only place I've ever seen MiniSD in any form.

That's a great idea! I can't believe I never thought of that. I remember it only reads 1-2 GB cards (yet another handicap to the music function) but the awesomeness of listening to music from an actual Soundwave figure is priceless.

Oh cripes, it doesn't even do SDHC? What was Takara THINKING?

They could've made an amazing product, instead they apparently grabbed the cheapest, junkiest MP3 player they could find out of China to implant in the poor guy. He cost way too much to be treated like a cheap novelty toy.

Oh cripes, it doesn't even do SDHC? What was Takara THINKING?

They could've made an amazing product, instead they apparently grabbed the cheapest, junkiest MP3 player they could find out of China to implant in the poor guy. He cost way too much to be treated like a cheap novelty toy.

Sad, but true.

Edited by GU-11