The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Mine was "Shackwave". Yeah. The original gray gun edition. A year or so before there was any TF cartoon. Think he was actually named "Space Magnum" or something like that in the box.

Weirded me out when I saw my toy as purple when the cartoon finally aired in our parts and named "Shockwave". Even worse, the official TF toy edition in deeper purple a year or so later at some mallshop.

edit:

just checked tfwiki and the correct name of my old toy was actually "Astro Magnum" instead. :hail:

Edited by treatment

There was ONE kid in my elementary school that had Jetfire. Nobody believed him because at the time it seemed like an impossible grail (nobody had ever seen one and it was expensive anyway). So one day he brought it to school, in the box, and during recess he slid the styrofoam tray out of the box and let us look at it. Then he put all the armor pieces on and flew it around while we all salivated. At no point was anyone allowed to touch it. :lol:

Guest davidwhangchoi

There was ONE kid in my elementary school that had Jetfire. Nobody believed him because at the time it seemed like an impossible grail (nobody had ever seen one and it was expensive anyway). So one day he brought it to school, in the box, and during recess he slid the styrofoam tray out of the box and let us look at it. Then he put all the armor pieces on and flew it around while we all salivated. At no point was anyone allowed to touch it. :lol:

i permanently borrowed my friend's Jetfire and was planning to get my own but after the Devastator giftset decision his was good enough :p. i forgot why i had his for so long...

Jetfire was plenty in NYC. the guys i tried to get and sent away for, were the omnibots: couldn't get any of them.... hasbro just sent me more points. didn't even return the check i sent (they probably didn't cash it but little young me thought they took my money...)

Tracks and skids were the ones in every local grocery store that just sat there. nobody wanted them.

Mine was "Shackwave". Yeah. The original gray gun edition. A year or so before there was any TF cartoon. Think he was actually named "Space Magnum" or something like that in the box.

Weirded me out when I saw my toy as purple when the cartoon finally aired in our parts and named "Shockwave". Even worse, the official TF toy edition in deeper purple a year or so later at some mallshop.

edit:

just checked tfwiki and the correct name of my old toy was actually "Astro Magnum" instead. :hail:

I had a Shackwave too! But I didn't get him until after Sideswipe. He was a pretty great toy, but I remember thinking it was weird that he was gray and not purple.

Mine was G1 Dreadwind. Never had a Darkwing. I know that the Dreadwind is somewhere in the attic of my mothers house but I'm unable to find it.

My dream one day would be a AFA95 Dreadwind and Darkwing that I can rip out of their boxes and combine them to Dreadwing. ^_^

i permanently borrowed my friend's Jetfire and was planning to get my own but after the Devastator giftset decision his was good enough :p. i forgot why i had his for so long...

Jetfire was plenty in NYC. the guys i tried to get and sent away for, were the omnibots: couldn't get any of them.... hasbro just sent me more points. didn't even return the check i sent (they probably didn't cash it but little young me thought they took my money...)

Tracks and skids were the ones in every local grocery store that just sat there. nobody wanted them.

I only had enough points for one so I sent away for and recieved the red Omnibot Overdrive.

I was happy to get him when he arrived but I remember thinking it felt different, crappier than my other deluxe size TFs.

I'd love to see an updated version.

My first TF that I can recall getting is Gears, which I selected from the cart child seat in Wal-Mart because he was a blue truck.

30 years later, I picked up Cogwheel because nostalgia dictated. I switched the head to the masked option and posed them side by side for a while.

Prowl was my first Transformer. I fell in love with the box art, and even though pics of the actual toy were all over the packaging, my 13 yr old mind wanted it to be like the art. I remember feeling pretty disappointed when I discovered that the legs were a solid piece. MP Prowl was my Holy Grail of Toys.

I remember seeing both Prime and Megatron, and even Jetfire, in the store, but I never got any of them as a kid. I picked up a rerelease of Prime years ago, but have never had a G1 Megs. I did have Soundwave, though; mine is still in excellent shape, and he stands along with the rest of my CHUG Decepticons.

In the 80's, I knew nothing of Macross or Robotech, but salivated longingly over the pic of Jetfire in the foldout brochures that used to come with 'Deluxe' and greater sized TFs in the 80's. One day I went over to a neighbor kid's house, and they had him, lucky bastards. I think they let me pick him up to give him a quick look. That was it. I handled G1 Megs only once; oddly enough, the school drama club were using him as a prop gun in a play or something, and I managed to get my hands on him long to tranform him to bot and back. About 10 years ago, I was in Pittsburg and stopped in at a little shop that dealt with 80's toys and collectibles. They had a Jetfire in excellent condition, terrible sticker placement notwithstanding, with his box and foam tray for $150. Bought on sight. :D

First Transformers toy I got was Tracks, I think. I got him for a birthday present. This was the only gift I got in all of my early childhood birthdays.

I remember going into a Sears and seeing Megatron on the shelves. I wanted it so badly, but no, no toys for me. I never had any cool toys as a kid. I barely had much as a kid.

Besides Megatron, I pretty much groveled at my dad's feet to buy Optimus Prime. My brother also wanted one as well, and our dad finally brought us to a Kaybee Toystore to buy two Primes, but they didn't accept his check. It was such a blow to my childhood. Being older now, I know our dad was a gambler and he blew most of his money gambling. He never gave much to anyone in the family, he was a dirtbag in the end.

Before I had any Transformers toy, I recall a kid in school brought his Jetfire to show all the other boys during recess. I just watched from a distance as they all huddled around it. I could not get close to see much of it.

Also one time on a field trip, another kid brought his Black Lion (Voltron) and again, all I could do was just keep my distance and watch them all surround the toy.

Late in the Transformers G1 era, I finally got a Dreadwind and my brother got Darkwing during one Christmas year.

I started helping my dad do some house work for this old German guy, and saved up some money.

Then the big day of buying a Transformer came along and the store I went to was Kmart.

I saw only a few on the shelf as they were near the end of the Transformers line. It was a tough choice between Snaptrap or Doubledealer.

I think I had enough to get Snaptrap and a combiner limb, which I thought was a better choice, but I never got a full Piranicon set in the end.

Last Transformer I saw before they disappeared from store shelves (until G2) were some Constructicons in a Holiday shopping store. I was not allowed to get even one.

Prowl was my first Transformer. I fell in love with the box art, and even though pics of the actual toy were all over the packaging, my 13 yr old mind wanted it to be like the art. I remember feeling pretty disappointed when I discovered that the legs were a solid piece. MP Prowl was my Holy Grail of Toys.

I remember seeing both Prime and Megatron, and even Jetfire, in the store, but I never got any of them as a kid. I picked up a rerelease of Prime years ago, but have never had a G1 Megs. I did have Soundwave, though; mine is still in excellent shape, and he stands along with the rest of my CHUG Decepticons.

In the 80's, I knew nothing of Macross or Robotech, but salivated longingly over the pic of Jetfire in the foldout brochures that used to come with 'Deluxe' and greater sized TFs in the 80's. One day I went over to a neighbor kid's house, and they had him, lucky bastards. I think they let me pick him up to give him a quick look. That was it. I handled G1 Megs only once; oddly enough, the school drama club were using him as a prop gun in a play or something, and I managed to get my hands on him long to tranform him to bot and back. About 10 years ago, I was in Pittsburg and stopped in at a little shop that dealt with 80's toys and collectibles. They had a Jetfire in excellent condition, terrible sticker placement notwithstanding, with his box and foam tray for $150. Bought on sight. :D

Do you remember the name of the store, or where about in Pittsburgh? I live close to the city; if it's still around I might want to check it out.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I saw only a few on the shelf as they were near the end of the Transformers line. It was a tough choice between Snaptrap or Doubledealer.

I think I had enough to get Snaptrap and a combiner limb, which I thought was a better choice, but I never got a full Piranicon set in the end.

i got double dealer. he was cool with the two powermaster figures included... and a triple changer at that.

and i got apeface as well...

Do you remember the name of the store, or where about in Pittsburgh? I live close to the city; if it's still around I might want to check it out.

Sorry, Mike, I don't remember what it was called. I'm not familiar with Pittsburg, so I can't even give you a general idea of where it's located. We were visiting my wife's friend for a couple days, so we went to the zoo, and then walked around downtown a little bit. We just happened to pass by, I saw what kind of store it was, and beelined right in there. It was a small place run by two dudes in their 20s. There was 80's stuff in abundance, and Jetfire caught my eye. They also had a loose Steeljaw, so I snagged him too.

Well, I just pulled ole Jetfire out of storage to see if maybe I'd put the receipt in his box. Unfortunately, no. Apologies for dangling the carrot. I did a Google search, and all it pulled up was a place called Too-Groovy Pop Culture Toys in Munhall, PA, south of Pttsburg. Not the place I went to, but they may have some cool stuff.

Been a long time since that Jetfire has seen the light of day; since I had him out, I took the opportunity to transform him...still very tight, almost like new. Don't think he got played with much. Whoever owned him originally did a remarkably atrocious stickering job on him, but otherwise took exceptional care of him. I have a minty set of Reprolabels for him...someday I'll get to it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

you know what i hated about Jetfire? one of the landing gear springs was too power and would always hurt me when i pull the tab for it to come down. it's like a mousetrap hitting you. ouch!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah. I remember getting thumped a lot. Same thing for the Gakken Alphas haha.

cool. i'm not the only one :p i flinch when opening spring loaded diecast parts.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Great minds think alike! SKYFIRE! Yeah! Hahah...heh...*cough*

kind of funny that robotech copied him so accurately. :lol:

Funny mentioning the too-strong spring loaded gear on Jetfire; the nose gear on mine got me a couple times today while messing with him. Really smarts when that die cast hits the fingernail. Before today, I never realized that the gear extend in the wrong direction on the chunkies, so that they collapse as soon as you push the plane forward to taxi out.

The chunky monkey's a pretty good toy, but thigh swivels and a wee bit of lateral hip movement would have greatly improved the playability. Overall, it's pretty faithful to the classic lineart, esp the large intake area with thinner thighs, and the proxiity of the intake to the chest in battroid.

CW Hot Spot arrived today, and I'm quite impressed. It does everything simply but effectively, and throws in some neat innovation for the torso mode. Within 15 minutes I was touching it up with gold & silver sharpies though, as the paint apps are sorely lacking (par for the Hasbro course).

I am still on the fence about getting the Protectobot limbs, as I don't really like repaints and will likely get the newer molds with CW Bruticus. My Defensor has also been decided for a while now (Maketoys Guardia) but this Hot Spot was too attractive to pass up. I'm already decided on getting Victorion as well, regardless of the composition, just to support introducing new characters to the franchise.

CW Hot Spot arrived today, and I'm quite impressed. It does everything simply but effectively, and throws in some neat innovation for the torso mode. Within 15 minutes I was touching it up with gold & silver sharpies though, as the paint apps are sorely lacking (par for the Hasbro course).

I am still on the fence about getting the Protectobot limbs, as I don't really like repaints and will likely get the newer molds with CW Bruticus. My Defensor has also been decided for a while now (Maketoys Guardia) but this Hot Spot was too attractive to pass up. I'm already decided on getting Victorion as well, regardless of the composition, just to support introducing new characters to the franchise.

For what it's worth, First Aid might be my favorite CW limb, period. Every complaint I had with Offroad was addressed, and his coloring is just about perfect (minus the lack of paint in vehicle mode). Likewise, I think I prefer Streetwise to Dead End and Wildrider.

Actually, I like Blades better than Alpha Bravo, but that's entirely because I prefer the red to AB's white. I'm not a huge fan of helicopter Transformers.

I have no opinion on Rook, because I CAN'T FREAKING FIND HIM ANYWHERE! BBTS and Captured Prey are both sold out, he's just not listed at TRU or HasbroToyShop, most of the physical stores I go to lately have one peg of RiDs, one of leftover AoEs, and if I'm lucky an empty peg where CW limbs would go. The only place I can seem to find him is Amazon, but it's not shipped and sold by Amazon, just scalpers on the Amazon marketplace that are asking $40+.

I'm still waiting on Hot Spot, too, but I have him preorded at Amazon with an estimated ship date of 6-15.

Rook is my favorite limb so far (sorry, really not trying to rub it in!). I've had crap luck finding anything in the stores. Wave one, yes, they're everywhere, but that's it. The only deluxe I've found past wave 1 is Breakdown, and that one had been opened and returned (I bought it anyway because it didn't look like anything was wrong with it, and there wasn't.)

Rook I preordered on BBTS a while back because there was just something about him that made me want him right away. I wasn't disappointed. He's a nice solid limb, very poseable with ankle tilt, has a really unique head sculpt (although the Autobot logo on his head is something I could do without) and his alt mode is solid and really fun to load out with weapons.

The gun fists are kind of funky and I both like and dislike them. They allow you to give him "Hulk hands" with combiner hands, but they prevent him from holding any weapons. While I appreciate the novelty I think given the choice I would prefer regular hands with 5mm holes.

Oh, and he can be plugged into combiners' feet and used as Dairugger-style robo-skates (not my photo).

post-430-0-93151700-1433043313_thumb.jpg

My fantasy is to build a combiner with all Rook limbs and Rook skates, meaning I'd need 5 more. I'm not confident I'll ever find 5 more of him.

Edited by eriku

Rook is my favorite limb so far (sorry, really not trying to rub it in!).

:( Still stings.

Well, I'm hoping that he'll turn up soon at HasbroToyShop, since they haven't sold any of the Protectobot limbs there yet, but they have Groove and they had (sold out of) Hot Spot. I check a couple of times a day, knowing that I'll overpay with shipping because I won't want or need anyone else (unless maybe Ultra Magnus turns up at the same time), but at least it'll be because of shipping and not scalping.

Rook is my favorite limb so far (sorry, really not trying to rub it in!). I've had crap luck finding anything in the stores. Wave one, yes, they're everywhere, but that's it. The only deluxe I've found past wave 1 is Breakdown, and that one had been opened and returned (I bought it anyway because it didn't look like anything was wrong with it, and there wasn't.)

Rook I preordered on BBTS a while back because there was just something about him that made me want him right away. I wasn't disappointed. He's a nice solid limb, very poseable with ankle tilt, has a really unique head sculpt (although the Autobot logo on his head is something I could do without) and his alt mode is solid and really fun to load out with weapons.

The gun fists are kind of funky and I both like and dislike them. They allow you to give him "Hulk hands" with combiner hands, but they prevent him from holding any weapons. While I appreciate the novelty I think given the choice I would prefer regular hands with 5mm holes.

Oh, and he can be plugged into combiners' feet and used as Dairugger-style robo-skates (not my photo).

attachicon.gifrook.jpg

My fantasy is to build a combiner with all Rook limbs and Rook skates, meaning I'd need 5 more. I'm not confident I'll ever find 5 more of him.

Is it just me, or does Silverbolt have a slightly yellower tone of white than the combiner limbs?

Edited by GU-11

:( Still stings.

Well, I'm hoping that he'll turn up soon at HasbroToyShop, since they haven't sold any of the Protectobot limbs there yet, but they have Groove and they had (sold out of) Hot Spot. I check a couple of times a day, knowing that I'll overpay with shipping because I won't want or need anyone else (unless maybe Ultra Magnus turns up at the same time), but at least it'll be because of shipping and not scalping.

Hopefully it'll be soon. I'm thinking BBTS will get more in stock at some point too.

Is it just me, or does Silverbolt have a slightly yellower tone of white than the combiner limbs?

Not just you, he's more of a creamy white. I think the Takara version matches the colors better.

I have no opinion on Rook, because I CAN'T FREAKING FIND HIM ANYWHERE! BBTS and Captured Prey are both sold out, he's just not listed at TRU or HasbroToyShop, most of the physical stores I go to lately have one peg of RiDs, one of leftover AoEs, and if I'm lucky an empty peg where CW limbs would go. The only place I can seem to find him is Amazon, but it's not shipped and sold by Amazon, just scalpers on the Amazon marketplace that are asking $40+.

Don't feel bad; I've yet to see any of the Protectobots at all. Rook and Groove are the only ones I want. Maybe First Aid. I like Hot Spot, but I'm holding out for the eventual Onslaught repaint. I've always liked Bruticus, so I'm hoping I'll find them all around here. I hope Blast Off is a new space shuttle mold rather than a lazy repaint of one of the aerialbots, that Swindle looks like a Humvee, and that a repainted Rook isn't substituted for Brawl. These things are obviously made on the cheap with multiple variations and repaints of the same molds, so I feel my apprehension is justified.

And yeah, scalpers be damned.