The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol!

Actually, I think this whole shenanigan is not really about cartoon-accuracy, but rather a toy-feature want instead.

i was just reading the cartoon accuracy parts. i'm very passionate for G1 cartoon especially if someone says something inaccurate. lol

Stacks got a waist-swivel and that's fine. But he just do not look anything like the UM we saw when were kids.

Not anything? Nothing? Really?

I'm prepared to grant that MP-22 is more 'toon accurate; I've already said it. But Stacks has the right colors in the right spots (well, a little extra red on the legs, but that's toy accurate, and a little extra white on the feet, because he actually has feet), He's got the shoulder stacks and the shoulder missile launchers. He's got a little extra molding on his waist, knees, and shoulders, and the blue piece on his chest is a little different, but all are very evocative of Ultra Magnus. The eyes are a little different, perhaps a bit more like the old Marvel Comics, but otherwise nearly identical. I wouldn't say he doesn't look anything like the UM we saw when we were kids, because he looks a lot like him. He just doesn't look exactly like him, and that's ok, the way Batman in The Batman cartoon doesn't look exactly like the Batman from Batman: The Animated Series... similar, instantly recognizable as the same character, some artistic differences.

i was just reading the cartoon accuracy parts. i'm very passionate for G1 cartoon especially if someone says something inaccurate. lol

Well, this is MWF afterall.

People are quite passionate about blueness of certain colors...

:D

Not anything? Nothing? Really?

I'm prepared to grant that MP-22 is more 'toon accurate; I've already said it. But Stacks has the right colors in the right spots (well, a little extra red on the legs, but that's toy accurate, and a little extra white on the feet, because he actually has feet), He's got the shoulder stacks and the shoulder missile launchers. He's got a little extra molding on his waist, knees, and shoulders, and the blue piece on his chest is a little different, but all are very evocative of Ultra Magnus. The eyes are a little different, perhaps a bit more like the old Marvel Comics, but otherwise nearly identical. I wouldn't say he doesn't look anything like the UM we saw when we were kids, because he looks a lot like him. He just doesn't look exactly like him, and that's ok, the way Batman in The Batman cartoon doesn't look exactly like the Batman from Batman: The Animated Series... similar, instantly recognizable as the same character, some artistic differences.

You can try to get snapshots and stuff of UM from the dvd of the movie and/or the S3 of the tv-series if you're not convinced.

It's like the Alto's VF-25 has Hikaru's color, but it surely ain't a VF-1...

You can try to get snapshots and stuff of UM from the dvd of the movie and/or the S3 of the tv-series if you're not convinced.

It's not a matter of convincing. I'm looking at a pic of MP-22 next to Stack, with a screenshot from the movie next to the animation model.

Lemme see if I can use fewer words. Hot Rod doesn't look anything like the Ultra Magnus we saw when we were kids. Citizen Stack looks a lot like UM, just not exactly like him.

It's not a matter of convincing. I'm looking at a pic of MP-22 next to Stack, with a screenshot from the movie next to the animation model.

Lemme see if I can use fewer words. Hot Rod doesn't look anything like the Ultra Magnus we saw when we were kids. Citizen Stack looks a lot like UM, just not exactly like him.

/me shakes head

Stacks is more of an homage to UM.

MP-22 _is_ the UM of the movie and the tv-series.

/me shakes head

Right. MP-22 is more 'toon accurate. MP-22 looks exactly like the UM you saw on TV as a kid. I conceded that several posts ago.

Stack is not 'toon accurate. Stack is still unmistakably UM, though. Stack is, in fact, closer to being 'toon accurate than the upcoming Combiner Wars UM or UM in the IDW series More Than Meets the Eye, and to claim that Stack doesn't look anything like the UM you saw on TV is hyperbole to a ludicrous degree. If you'd never seen Stack and somebody showed you a picture and said, "hey, what character from the Transformers cartoon you used to watch as a kid does this look like?" you wouldn't say Hot Rod, you wouldn't say no one, you wouldn't say you don't know, you'd say "Ultra Magnus." That might be followed by a "but," and you might proceed to point out every minute way Stack is different. Those differences might bug you, and you might hate how Stack's design has been tweaked, but you're being disingenuous if you try to pretend you wouldn't say "Ultra Magnus."

To be clear, again, I'm not arguing that MP-22 isn't more 'toon accurate than Stack, and I'm not faulting you or anyone else for preferring MP-22 because they prefer the more 'toon accurate toy. I'm only taking issue with the hyperbole in the statement "he just do not look anything like the UM we saw when were kids". Stack looks a lot like the UM we saw when were were kids, just not as much as MP-22 does.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Right. MP-22 is more 'toon accurate. MP-22 looks exactly like the UM you saw on TV as a kid. I conceded that several posts ago.

Stack is not 'toon accurate. Stack is still unmistakably UM, though. Stack is, in fact, closer to being 'toon accurate than the upcoming Combiner Wars UM or UM in the IDW series More Than Meets the Eye, and to claim that Stack doesn't look anything like the UM you saw on TV is hyperbole to a ludicrous degree. If you'd never seen Stack and somebody showed you a picture and said, "hey, what character from the Transformers cartoon you used to watch as a kid does this look like?" you wouldn't say Hot Rod, you wouldn't say no one, you wouldn't say you don't know, you'd say "Ultra Magnus." That might be followed by a "but," and you might proceed to point out every minute way Stack is different. Those differences might bug you, and you might hate how Stack's design has been tweaked, but you're being disingenuous if you try to pretend you wouldn't say "Ultra Magnus."

To be clear, again, I'm not arguing that MP-22 isn't more 'toon accurate than Stack, and I'm not faulting you or anyone else for preferring MP-22 because they prefer the more 'toon accurate toy. I'm only taking issue with the hyperbole in the statement "he just do not look anything like the UM we saw when were kids". Stack looks a lot like the UM we saw when were were kids, just not as much as MP-22 does.

well i support both of you guys;

mike is my videogame/gundam guy

treatment is my music/hard boiled G1 guy.

i understand what both of you are saying.

i thought KFC was the one to go for prior to mp-22 coming out, (like quakewave is.) so the toy speaks for itself.

now that mp-22 is out i understand the G1 purists mindset. (i'm that with the show and g1 reissues)

Dang, what the heck happened in here?

I think there's a notion in psychology that, rather than gather information prior to a purchase and using that info to make a purchasing decision, that it's common for people to make a purchase and then seek information that confirms their decision later, ignoring or dismissing opinions or information that disagrees with their decisions. In other words, people who have bought and enjoy MP-22 don't want to hear comments from people that don't like it, and especially don't want to hear that people like Citizen Stack better. I believe it's a sort of confirmation bias. The opposite goes for people who bought and dug Stack, but skipped MP-22. The natural inclination is to argue for your choice, because it's personal. It becomes difficult to say, "well, I get why you like might like that, but I really prefer this," or "I'm happy that I went with this one, but it's cool that you went with that instead."

In my case, though, I'm just a stickler for language with a low tolerance for hyperbole. I see that MP-22 is more 'toon accurate, and I get why someone might prefer that accuracy. I personally think that the flourishes on Stack make it look better, but I don't like either of them enough to drop over a Benjamin on.

Anyway... I saw some pics where a guy stuck Legends Huffer onto Combiner Wars Optimus, in torso mode with the chest open. Basically, looks like he repositioned Huffer's legs down, then jammed Huffer's fists onto the pegs under the silver "matrix" area. The result reminds me a lot of Power Master Optimus/Super Ginrai. I might just look into picking up the original Legends Optimus Prime that Huffer is a remold of, since last I looked my Target still had a bunch of him.

He's a lame Mary Sue anyway. Haha.

A review of the KO UM. Maybe somebody will mod up mp-22 and cannibalism him for armor, and put the armor on this guy. That would be wicked.

Edited by Gakken85

MP-22 is awesome. My favourite MP.

And I can't see how anyone would like that new Leader class Megatron mould. Its ugly, plain and simple. Weird proportions and the Armada version is worse. The actual Armada Megs beats it in almost every department.

Edited by Silverstreak

A review of the KO UM. Maybe somebody will mod up mp-22 and cannibalism him for armor, and put the armor on this guy. That would be wicked.

Tiny MP-2!

Speaking of... Magnus armor on MP-2. You know you want it.

*sigh*

I think it's cool that MP-22 has fans and people who like the design. I've been saying that all along. Trying to persuade anyone to "change" their opinion was never my goal in spite of what others here may believe. I am only providing evidence for what I see. That's all that I can do.

For example, to speak to treatment's photo of Citizen Stack and MP-22, I think that they are both inaccurate, with compromises built into their look due to their design. I understand that both have their fans, and that's great. However, I cannot choose one or the other as the best interpretation of my Ultra Magnus. To me both are a homage to the cartoon in some way, although Takara's is the official release.

In the cartoon, at least to my eyes. Ultra Magnus was not MP-10 in armor. Going the toy route completely and updating the Dialcone would have been a treat. Giving us a nice posable cartoon-style Ultra Magnus also would have been neat. I think MP-22 fails because it tries to please both sides of the aisle and misses both marks. But that is IMHO.

My other point is that I have real issues with MP-22's engineering. Yes, it goes beyond wishing for a feature that wasn't included (waist articulation). For example, here are pictures of my copy. These are few weak points that I'm unhappy with. Others at tfw2005 have noticed similar issues, although i admit the toy has had more of a positive reception over there too:

1. The floppy Ultra Magnus head:

post-5492-0-63950300-1425302829_thumb.png

The diecast insert with the gimmick weighs the head down. It also doesn't grab onto the head post very well. As a result, the head will drop/droop after a certain angle. This isn't too bad in this mode, but in truck mode it can impede rolling Magnus around without damaging his face.

2. A single point of plastic failure above the waist:

post-5492-0-39965500-1425303192_thumb.png

I haven't done much with this piece for fear of breaking it as some others have done accidentally over at tfw2005. And I can see how it is very easy to do that if you are not extremely careful. I'm use to Masterpiece toys being geared to adults and careful hands, but I still question, why is this part plastic? It seems too fragile, even for an adult toy.

3. Another worrisome area: those thighs:

post-5492-0-63589600-1425303600_thumb.png

I know I'm going against the wave again with this, and that it will encourage extra scrutiny from members of the peanut gallery, but I think it is important to provide a balance. MP-22 may seem solid to some, but you can see the gaps between the two thigh pieces on mine above, and these QC issues/design flaws make the toy less of a joy to have out of the box and on display. The flaws make an already limited figure even more feable.

At some point, I'll have to take this apart and add some adhesive or something to try and close that gap. If this was a low-cost toy that I bought at Target or another department store, then that wouldn't phase me. However, the larger Masterpiece figures are regularly priced over $100 USD at release, especially with the Takara branding and I think we should get something better out of the box.

BTW, I think treatment's pics are great, but they are limited to certain angles and if you only want Ultra Mangus standing or pointing or screaming at things like the matrix form a forward face-first position, then that's great. And yes, other toy lines can do good posable figures without a dedicated waist, but I don't think that Magnus makes the grade. For me, this is not posability:

post-5492-0-67338500-1425304674_thumb.png

Aww how cute, Magnus is presenting himself to Galvatron.

Regarding the new Leader Megatron, initially I was stoked. When I took a closer look though, the bot mode does look flimsy, especially the shoulders. It's a shame too- I remember wishing for a toy Megs based on the Legends game illustrations and now that it's been made, I find it lacking.

Where can I get one of those KO Convoy? If they are still available. I have a takara Convoy on preorder at HLJ and I'd love to have both.

LoL. It was the best that I could do.

Regarding the new Leader Megatron, initially I was stoked. When I took a closer look though, the bot mode does look flimsy, especially the shoulders. It's a shame too- I remember wishing for a toy Megs based on the Legends game illustrations and now that it's been made, I find it lacking.

Yeah, the cannon could be better too. I thought I was going to sit out every single Combiner Wars release, but Megatron looks okay and the price is right...idk...

Where can I get one of those KO Convoy? If they are still available. I have a takara Convoy on preorder at HLJ and I'd love to have both.

tf-direct.com is where I picked up my KO MP-10. I really like the new ones (green, white, purple), and in reviews and pictures they appear to be better KO transformers.

Edited by technoblue

Haven't handled on myself, but David Willis has a review at Shortpacked. He has it looking a lot better than Hasbro's shots, and he says it's got a lot of good, ratcheting joints.

I'm on the fence. I have Hegemon, which scales better with the CHUGs and has a better g1 look (if being sort of mediocre overall), but I might pick him up. Definitely passing on Armada Megs, though.

Mp magnus is okay, definitely not great, but what do I know ? I Leave my house regularly, and I haven't seen my mothers basement in years.

Edit: On second thought, I don't know who this was directed to. No matter who, though, it seems nasty to me.

Even though dwc and I do not see eye to eye on this issue, I will stick up for his character. He's a good guy. He sees fact where I see opinion, I don't know what else there is to say. I certainly don't see that as an invitation to dress down someone's lifestyle, especially someone you don't know.

And you didn't ask, but I pay my own mortgage, have my own family, and work at a job that requires > 80 hours of my attention each week. If the peanut gallery here would take a moment to get to know me instead of coloring me in a specific way to suit their own definitions and win lame internet debates, then they would find that they might have to adjust these preconceived notions.

I think that could be said for a lot of folks.

That is, if your intent is to come here and talk about the hobby and not insult someone for the lulz. If it's the other way around, then give me a break. I guess this place has a dark side and we all better duck.

Edited by technoblue

Edit: On second thought, I don't know who this was directed to. No matter who, though, it seems nasty to me.

Even though dwc and I do not see eye to eye on this issue, I will stick up for his character. He's a good guy. He sees fact where I see opinion, I don't know what else there is to say. I certainly don't see that as an invitation to dress down someone's lifestyle, especially someone you don't know.

And you didn't ask, but I pay my own mortgage, have my own family, and work at a job that requires > 80 hours of my attention each week. If the peanut gallery here would take a moment to get to know me instead of coloring me in a specific way to suit their own definitions and win lame internet debates, then they would find that they might have to adjust these preconceived notions.

I think that could be said for a lot of folks.

That is, if your intent is to come here and talk about the hobby and not insult someone for the lulz. If it's the other way around, then give me a break. I guess this place has a dark side and we all better duck.

it was a random joke, not directed at anyone.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Even though dwc and I do not see eye to eye on this issue, I will stick up for his character. He's a good guy.

nah, i'm just as bad. lol

i wouldn't take that joke personally, don't think anything of it. fyi, i don't really attack people either but just contested opinions on the topics given. i'm sure the polite guys won't say much and prefer calmness but it's ok once in a while to get heated on a topic. there's prob one or two guys on here that i really didn't like: one's banned and the other is harmless but overall MW is a good place. (no where near the nasty on CAG and SD, but i can hang with nasty)

MP Tracks with Asia exclusive items -

11043004_988703277808231_756947064934659

damn, blaster looks cool but prefer to order from hlj who doesn't carry the bonus exclusives. i guess i may have to order from amazon jyp..

Huh. I guess Tracks looked kind of tall and skinny, since some guys were commenting on it, but I really didn't notice it in gray. In color, though, it's like watching a widescreen movie stretched to fit an old tube TV.