The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Found an Alpha Bravo, so I picked him up.

Due to the Scramble City-ish gimmick of using universal joints and the ability to be both arms and legs, the quality of bot mods are going to be pretty much the same across the board. Alpha Bravo has the same amount of articulation as Dragstrip, Firefly, and Skydive, so if you read what I wrote about them, apply it here. One thing I will note is that it's kind of nice the way the rotor blades are on attached to a bar on a pivoting arm. You bend the blades in, and pivot the arm up just a bit, and the blades tuck nicely between the tail fins.

Helicopter mode is serviceable, too. It doesn't have the chibi look like the jets do. There's the noticeable arms, not as nice as Dragstrip's car mode but better concealed than the jets with molded missiles on the sides and backs of his forearm.

Another running theme is that the individual bots' arms don't seem to have a place to go when in arm mode, so they all make better legs. With all four wave 1 combiners, I can say that the bot mode arms make the jets the weakest legs, and while they don't have much place to go in arm mode Skydive's arms at least peg onto hi swings, and Firefly at least folds his arms over his back and hides his hands behind his wings. Dragstrip, as I mention, just kind of puts his arms over his head in a sort of "duck and cover" pose. Alpha Bravo, though, is the worst arm. His transformation has tabs on his waist that go into slots just under his elbow. It keeps his arms pegged in place fine for leg and helicopter mode, but for arm mode it gets in the way of the gestalt's elbow.

Besides, while all the limbs plug into a foot part the same way, the Alpha Bravo's feet (the top of the helicopter cockpit) matches a molded curve on the foot part.

Now all I need's a torso!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Found an Alpha Bravo, so I picked him up.

Now all I need's a torso!

my childhood memories are coming back of hoping and hunting to complete a combiner!

thanks for the write up post. got me curious... i'm going to see if i find them to take a look.

my childhood memories are coming back of hoping and hunting to complete a combiner!

thanks for the write up post. got me curious... i'm going to see if i find them to take a look.

Dunno how things are over in Jersey, but around here I've been able to find limited amounts of limbs at Walmart, and jack squat at Target. No torsos. I may just order Optimus and Silverbolt online...

The only Combiner Wars stuff I've seen has been the scout class (or whatever size Powerglide is) figures.

Man, I'd love to find Powerglide. I never liked the original CHUG Ultra-class version, and the weapons that come with the limbs look like twigs in the gestalt hands.

Combiner Wars stuff has been rare in my area as well, but I finally found some deluxes at Walmart; picked up Dragstrip, Firefly, and Skydive. They had Alpha-Bravo, but I think I'll wait and pick up the eventual Vortex repaint. These guys are pretty simple, but fun. I like the linkage used for the jets' leg transformation; it's more stable than Dragstrips' traditional sliding mechanism. No sign of Powerglide or Bombshell yet. I have yet to see Arcee or Chromia, for that matter. All the figs I want are sold out on the Hasbro online shop. I think they're taking a page out of Bandai's marketing strategy playbook: make something that is going to have huge demand, produce low numbers, distribute unevenly. With the cheap production quality, higher prices, and greater difficulty finding the Generations toys, Hasbro is rapidly leaching the joy out of collecting Transformers. No wonder My Little Pony has become their number one product; they're too busy overproducing Bayverse toys, 1 and 2 step changers, and seemingly ignoring or underproducing the CHUGs, which seem to sell out faster than any other product line, at least in my area.

Tracks is ok; they did a good job on him and I'll likely get him, but I'd much rather have Ironhide and a new Megs comparable to Apollyon. I'd love to have all the first season G1 figs in Masterpiece.

I'm liking that Tracks so far. Can't wait to see the color promos.

Edit: ...aaaaand BBTS already has preorders up. I'm waitin on HLJ so it's gonna be awhile. ;)

Edited by xrentonx

First Alpha Bravo replaces Slingshot, now I'm hearing some truck dude named Offroad is replacing Wildrider. WTF, Hasbro? It's like you say Generations are for older collectors, you're finally giving us combiners after telling us for years that you won't do combiners, but you still keep doing little things to screw it up.

Look, the fans are willing to give you their money. Stop making excuses, stop with the wonky distribution, and stop making changes nobody wants.

Guest davidwhangchoi

They're using repaints to diversify the combiners so retailers don't have to stock four identical jet guys per wave.

Granted retailers don't seem to want to stock anything but that's why I just use online shops.

They're coming to the US as individual Deluxes. But it looks like Japan gets them first as part of their respective teams.

thanks guys! i think i got it. i was just going to look into these locally when mike posted his impressions but it seems i may have to look online to get into these...

They have US stock numbers already, so they're basically guaranteed. Only question is---TRU exclusives, or mass-market?

Or even if they're mass market, will we ever see them? I still haven't seen Brainstorm, Arcee, or Windblade on shelves, let alone a non-deluxe Combiner Wars.

what does they're basically guaranteed mean

As in, they are planned for production. Not EVERY figure that gets a number/description like that gets produced, but like 98% do. They COULD be cancelled for some reason, and it has happened before--but not often.

Or even if they're mass market, will we ever see them? I still haven't seen Brainstorm, Arcee, or Windblade on shelves, let alone a non-deluxe Combiner Wars.

I've seen Silverbolt once, and the wave 1 limbs once. But not even remnants of the wave for Arcee, Brainstorm, etc. Probably because 3 of the 5 columns of pegs for TF's at the local Wal-Mart are dedicated to:

they're too busy overproducing Bayverse toys, 1 and 2 step changers,

Whatever the $12.99 or so AOE Hound figure is. The non-transforming one. 2 solid peg-columns of him, the rest being non-transforming Strafe and non-transforming Drift. Yeesh, nobody wants that crap, yet it's still full price and not moving at all. Meanwhile, Combiner Wars stuff sells out in a day...

Hasbro clearly over-compensated for the "too hard" earlier movie transformation complains from parents/kids. "Too difficult" transformations are a minor problem, compared to not transforming at all! (and even a 6-year-old can see that most 1-steps are crap, and are just a car flipping up with a robot sculpted on it)

I just buy from TRU/Walmart online when I can. Trying to beat out scalpers to the stores just isn't worth my time or money unless I'm driving by. That said I've managed to snag all the CW figures. Ordered Firefly, Dragstrip and Alpha Bravo from TRU online and just waiting for Purolator to deliver them. Funny thing is my RID Grimlock has a missing ratchet and Hasbro customer service was going to replace it. They sent me another Alpha Bravo. I think I'll just keep it and have two heli arms ala Vehicle Voltron as my Superion. Hate the feet though. I'm going to redesign those, probably the hands as well, and print something out since it's a generic 5mm port.

That said, CW Optimus is a hybrid truck munkey. Those long arms, no waist and ugly feet. It's a fun toy but it ain't no MP10.

Funny thing is my RID Grimlock has a missing ratchet and Hasbro customer service was going to replace it. They sent me another Alpha Bravo.

That is how Hasbro always is. They do not replace or repair anything. You will get a toy "of equal or greater value". Be glad you didn't get an AOE shelf-warmer from them. (IIRC, for like an entire year straight, any replacement toy was almost guaranteed to be ROTF Wheelie) I think that even for like Voyagers and Leaders, they'd just ship you multiple Wheelies (and probably throw in a Mudflap or two)...

they're too busy overproducing Bayverse toys, 1 and 2 step changers, and seemingly ignoring or underproducing the CHUGs, which seem to sell out faster than any other product line, at least in my area.

Whatever the $12.99 or so AOE Hound figure is. The non-transforming one. 2 solid peg-columns of him, the rest being non-transforming Strafe and non-transforming Drift. Yeesh, nobody wants that crap, yet it's still full price and not moving at all. Meanwhile, Combiner Wars stuff sells out in a day...

Hasbro clearly over-compensated for the "too hard" earlier movie transformation complains from parents/kids. "Too difficult" transformations are a minor problem, compared to not transforming at all! (and even a 6-year-old can see that most 1-steps are crap, and are just a car flipping up with a robot sculpted on it)

The most irritating thing about it, though, is that you can't entirely blame the AoE toys still clogging the shelves. Hasbro is obviously capable of getting new stock to retailers, and retailers putting out said stock, because my local Target (which has had no newer CHUGs since Rattrap/Tankor on the Deluxe side and Whirl and Rhinox on the Voyager side) currently has a RiD section up bigger than the remaining AoE and CHUGs combined. So if I want an under-engineered Bumblebee from a cartoon that isn't out yet, no problem, but if I want the first Hasbro toy of a G1 character that's been around nearly 30 years, tough crackers, because I will NEVER see it in stores.

That said, CW Optimus is a hybrid truck munkey. Those long arms, no waist and ugly feet. It's a fun toy but it ain't no MP10.

Yeah, for $20-$25-ish I didn't expect him to be. Heck, new MPs have come out that are as expensive or more so than MP-10 without being that good.

A better question is, how's CW Optimus compared to the original Classics Optimus?

Edited by mikeszekely

Well, I finally have a spot of good news: I found CW Powerglide and Bombshell at one of the two Targets in my area. They actually had two Powerglides, so hopefully another frustrated TF collector like me will get it. Still, the CHUG stuff is pretty rare here. I'm so hoping the Arcee wave isn't done yet, or that the stores, for whatever reason (like perhaps all the pegs being clogged by non-CHUG shelfwarming TF stuff) just haven't stocked them yet.

After 30 years of waiting, I just want my damned copy of Arcee, and a copy of Chromia. Knowing the popularity of Arcee, and the very likely high demand for a G1 accurate toy at long last, I would have thought Hasbro would go out of their way to promote this toy with retailers. Apparently, as with most of the CHUG line, they don't care.

I concur with David H.'s statement about Hasbro overcompensating for parents' wishes for non-complex Transformers; Once you reach a point where the toy no longer lives up to its namesake, what's the point? The shelves are testament to the fact that kids are thinking the same way, b/c the 1, 2 steppers and non-transforming toys are not moving, not even on clearance. The puzzle of figuring them out is half the fun. Now, I do have to say that some of the Bayverse toys were probably a bit over engineered for 10 year olds; heck, even with my 30+ yrs of experience, I sometimes had to dig out the instructions for a few to make sure I wasn't going to break them. But the CHUG line from the start had a good balance of complexity, aesthetics, and articulation for a mainline aimed at 8+ kids. Mostly, I think they're still doing a good job on them; however, these CW toys are almost comically simple, esp the jets. Will that stop me from buying them...nope. ;) But first I have to find them. :angry:

Edited by M'Kyuun