The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Did anybody visit the link? There's a FAQ there that addresses many of the points made in the past couple pages.

Q: Sorry, I’d prefer a continuation of Transformers Animated, Beast Machines, the Japanese series, etc.

A: Supporting this effort doesn’t mean you can’t support anything else in the franchise. If you have no interest in returning to G1, that’s fine. But having this succeed doesn’t mean any other future effort to bring back another series won’t be possible. If we can show there is a comic-buying market for a series and there are artists interested and enthusiastic about the project, we think IDW will listen.

The idea actually started with an IDW TF artist and a writer/colorist having a hypothetical conversation about what they'd like to see and what they could do with it. Like everybody on IDW's TF series, these guys are fans. They'd rather not make something that people hate.

Yeah, I mentioned the FAQ in my post, and how I didn't really find it very reassuring.

Kurisama

I know the movie is out on Blu-ray in Australia and the UK, but it's not out in non-PAL regions as far as I know. The question is, will there be any issue in playback for any of the non-HD contents of the disc (extras), since playback in SD would involve PAL or NTSC compatibility. In my case, though I'm in Japan, a US release would be very highly appreciated, but there isn't one. I thought about importing the UK one, but I'm not sure if it will all work or not.

EDIT -- Actually, I'll just throw it out there. Does anyone know what the deal is with the 86 movie, and why it's not out on BD in the US?

Edited by Renato

Kurisama

I know the movie is out on Blu-ray in Australia and the UK, but it's not out in non-PAL regions as far as I know. The question is, will there be any issue in playback for any of the non-HD contents of the disc (extras), since playback in SD would involve PAL or NTSC compatibility.

Actually, PAL and NTSC are no longer relevant at all.

I THINK modern hardware handles 50/60 Hz seamlessly, but won't swear to it as I haven't had occasion to test.

EDIT -- Actually, I'll just throw it out there. Does anyone know what the deal is with the 86 movie, and why it's not out on BD in the US?

Not a damn clue. But I want an answer to that question as well.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i didn't like the dvd remaster. the old rhino vhs/dvd actually looks better.

the colors were so poor. if they do a new blu ray release, i hope they spend money and redo the color correction. not just a cheap up-convert of the 20th anniversary (widescreen version is the worst culprit)

original.jpegoriginal.jpegoriginal.jpeg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Yes, the band is called "Lion", I only know one other song they did which was on "The Wraith" OST (super 80s movie starring Charlie Sheen). It also featured Stan Bush, incidentally.

JB0:

Well, I read that NTSC/PAL becomes an issue when it comes to non-HD content on BDs. In the case of the TFTM BD, I think it comes with the extras from the previous Sony release, as in the Scrambled City feature etc. Those may still be in SD and so will have compatibility problems, as far as I understand it.

In other news, looks like MP Bumblebee is on its way to me, I should have it soon. :)

HLJ wasn't able to deliver an extra VF-25S my way, but they are getting ready to dispatch a trio of Transformers. I have been waiting for two Takara Legends: Roadbuster and Whirl. MP-21 will be packaged with them too. I think I had Goldbug instead of Bumblebee when I was a kid. I'm looking forward to all three and will post pictures when they arrive.

JB0:

Well, I read that NTSC/PAL becomes an issue when it comes to non-HD content on BDs. In the case of the TFTM BD, I think it comes with the extras from the previous Sony release, as in the Scrambled City feature etc. Those may still be in SD and so will have compatibility problems, as far as I understand it.

My understanding is that the big obstacle was color encoding back in the day. Since the specials on-disk aren't actually stored AS NTSC or PAL, but as MPEG-2(50 or 60Hz, interlaced or progressive), and the player is responsible for the final output format... it comes down to whether the TV can accept 50 Hz input. This was low odds on CRT, but is trivial on a modern display.

I THINK the TV should accept it, especially as many of them already accept 24 Hz content natively.

And I THINK that if it doesn't the BluRay player should automatically start frame-rate conversion. Again, in part because it does for 24 Hz content.

Aaaaaaand now that I think to do an actual search, the internet says(with surprisingly little digging, I thought this was gonna be hard)it MIGHT be a problem, depending on the specific player and TV.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245 is a list of US players that can handle 50 Hz content, and whether they resample to 60 Hz or output at 50(in which case your TV needs to handle 50 Hz, and I don't see a good list of those).

For Primus' sake, people! It's the twenty-first century, this should not be that hard! I KNOW these companies are all global businesses selling the SAME SLAGGIN' HARDWARE in multiple regions, so why not just put the SAME SLAGGIN' FIRMWARE on all of them(sans region code and "does 'color' have a 'u'" settings) and let the people that care about imports be pleasantly surprised by their newfound multisync compatibility?!?!

I THOUGHT this idiocy was coming to an end when we all moved to DTV and BluRay had three region codes instead of eight, but apparently manufacturers STILL can't get their cranial units out of their exhaust ports!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*deep breath*

Okay, I'm done.

It's still a stupid situation that shouldn't exist.

Silly Go-bot. There's no speeding on the shelf allowed...

IMG_20141125_141713_824_zpsrkutaokq.jpg[/url]

Oh hey, Baron Von Joy looks a lot better as a car than I expected him too.

Edited by JB0

JB0, I share your frustration. Living in Japan, I was shocked at first to find that most smallish CRTs still only had mono audio output, and that PAL conversion was unheard of, whereas all of my TVs, VHS and DVD players while living in the UK in the 90s handled both PAL and NTSC with no issues whatsoever. I was incredulous to find that nobody working at home appliance stores had even heard of PAL. I ended up taking a UK copy of Led Zeppelin's live DVD to my local electronics store and trying to make it play in every single DVD player on display (UK and Japan are both R2). No luck.

I then got a region-free cheap Chinese player and have not had to worry about that for several years, until earlier this year when it died and now half my stuff is unplayable. I have a PS3 and a Victor HDTV, which means they've most likely put restrictions on what they can play or not.

I have had no issues with US BDs so far with the PS3, but I think the only ones I own are the Transformer Prime series (it never came out on BD here, and the Japanese edition of the show is a butchered hackjob anyhow). See, I'm on topic!

Anyway, argh. Let's just pester whoever is responsible to release an official US BD already. What's the delay? I can't understand it.

Edited by Renato

JB0, I share your frustration. Living in Japan, I was shocked at first to find that most smallish CRTs still only had mono audio output, and that PAL conversion was unheard of, whereas all of my TVs, VHS and DVD players while living in the UK in the 90s handled both PAL and NTSC with no issues whatsoever. I was incredulous to find that nobody working at home appliance stores had even heard of PAL. I ended up taking a UK copy of Led Zeppelin's live DVD to my local electronics store and trying to make it play in every single DVD player on display (UK and Japan are both R2). No luck.

Yeah, 50Hz land had much more compatible stuff back in the day because who wanted to import from EUROPE?

In seriousness, the conversion issues were pretty much a one-way street. 50 Hz regions imported 60 Hz content, but the reverse was rarely true. So no one was really making 60 Hz TVs that also worked with 50 Hz content.

But, like I said, that took actual WORK to do back in the CRT days. Now it's easier to do it than it is to not do it.

I have had no issues with US BDs so far with the PS3, but I think the only ones I own are the Transformer Prime series (it never came out on BD here, and the Japanese edition of the show is a butchered hackjob anyhow). See, I'm on topic!

US BluRays are indistinguishable from japanese BluRays, from a format perspective.

Same region code, same TV standards.

DVDs were the same except for region code, despite US NTSC and J NTSC actually being slightly different formats.

(The black levels were slightly different, but it was only relevant at the analog level, so it didn't affect disk format at all.)

(Yes, I know too much about analog TV formats for someone who is not a broadcast engineer.)

Anyway, argh. Let's just pester whoever is responsible to release an official US BD already. What's the delay? I can't understand it.

Dear Hasbro:

Shut up and take my money already, geez!

-JB0

PS: Can you get me Transformers: Animated on BR while you're at it?

I read somewhere that it isn't Shinji, but one of the background NERV technicians.

So it is a redshirt? ^_^ To me Convoy looks to messy with all the colors. Especially the black forearms are an eyesore. They also got the color on the stripe of the truck/the color of the stripe on Convoys upper abdomen wrong. ^_^ I like the color of EVA-01 but on this bulky mode it doesn't look good.

So it is a redshirt? ^_^ To me Convoy looks to messy with all the colors. Especially the black forearms are an eyesore. They also got the color on the stripe of the truck/the color of the stripe on Convoys upper abdomen wrong. ^_^ I like the color of EVA-01 but on this bulky mode it doesn't look good.

Yeah, a redshirt. :D

I still think this Convoy is a good foundation for a shattered glass design. On its own, though, the 1:1 translation of EVA-01's color scheme without any of EVA-01's organic characteristics does look odd in photos. That said, I can't wait to see it in person.

Edited by technoblue