The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Royal-T was freakin' awesome back in the day.

Among those figures not mentioned yet, I have to bring up: Geeper-Creeper, Slicks, Heat Seeker (for his innovative transformation), Flip Top, Vanguard, and Blaster.

And of course, the awesome evil space car was just named "Psycho"

Which is not to say the competition's naming did not ALSO fall to the level of "random dictionary words" for a large number of their toys.

Psycho was my absolute favorite of the deluxe Go-Bots. As a kid in the '80s, I thought his car mode was so cool and futuristic.

I think I have a lot of fond memories of Go-Bots because my family was kind of poor growing up. When I got a Transformer, it was either Christmas or my birthday, and I didn't get many. In fact, Sideswipe and the Insecticons are the only pre-movie ones I'm sure I had (although I guess we were doing better after that, because it seemed like I was getting a lot more then after the movie). Go-Bots, on the other hand, I might get just for being good at the store. And if it was my birthday or Christmas, I got crap tons of them.

Edit to add: @CoreyD

Exactly! It's as much of a head as Shockwave from that other franchise has!

Oddly, I recall molded-in sensor details that do not appear in toy photos, though Baron von Joy DID have green eye decals on the underside of the cockpit-head(flanking that oh-so-smug grin from the cartoon).

Edited by JB0

In another example of licensing gone awry -- anyone remember the Mospeada Go-Bots? From what I remember, they released a model kit of Leader-1 in the states that was clearly based on the molds for a Japanese Legioss kit, and another one of Cy-Kill that was lifted from Yellow's ride armor.

ModelLeader1MIBa.jpg2d1qnti.gif

Edited by SuperSenpai

I've heard of those before. I can't rightly fathom the licensing mess that led to them.

The Leader-1 model... I would totally have accepted that back in the day.

Cy-Kill strikes me as a bit wrong, though, since... you know, the bike is supposed to turn into the robot, not armor for ANOTHER robot.

A thought on the lack of "heads" on certain deluxe gobots. I'm not sure how true this is for the other figures, but Psycho had a clearly visible chromed figure sitting in the drivers seat. It makes to toy look less like a robot with a strange not-head, and more like a piloted mech with cockpit for a head.

oh man i had baron von joy. he was awesome diecast goodness. great alt mode likeness too. wonder where he is...somewhere at the rents house. i could probably find it. lo

the tank guy was cool too. he was beige and dark green camo? defendor was his name possibly my favorite gobot ever. if the the 3P TF world does him....i think he will sell. looks very awesome, kinda mecha like too.

here is a link to a pic

http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/586609-3/P5310298.jpg

Edited by Mechapilot77

A thought on the lack of "heads" on certain deluxe gobots. I'm not sure how true this is for the other figures, but Psycho had a clearly visible chromed figure sitting in the drivers seat. It makes to toy look less like a robot with a strange not-head, and more like a piloted mech with cockpit for a head.

Psycho was special in that he was originally a Space Adventure Cobra toy called the Psychoroid. So that small chromed figure may have been Cobra himself (or Lady).

That's because it was. Psycho the Go-Bot was Psychoroid, a car from the anime Space Cobra. I'm not familiar with Space Cobra, but I think it was just a car in the anime, and Popy just liked the car for Machine Robo.

Damn, now I wish I knew what the hell happened to my old Psycho toy.

Heh. Takara should do a gobots MP line... for frakks sake it would make some money.

You think so? They'd have to be pretty amazing to compete for my money, especially considering all of my memories of Go-Bots involve around how crappy I thought the toys and cartoon where (Scooter and Turbo, I'm looking at you).

-b.

Bug Bite had the same dude. Dun recall if Baron von Joy did, but it's likely.

Heh. Takara should do a gobots MP line... for frakks sake it would make some money.

Problem is Takara has no interest in GoBots. They're mighty robots and mighty vehicles... and Bandai molds.

Which is part of Hasbro's doing precious little with them, because renewed access to Machine Robo toys would require working with Takara's arch-enemy.

Problem is Takara has no interest in GoBots. They're mighty robots and mighty vehicles... and Bandai molds.

Which is part of Hasbro's doing precious little with them, because renewed access to Machine Robo toys would require working with Takara's arch-enemy.

That reminds me, MP-10E Eva Convoy is due out in the next week or so, huh... ;)

Dammit. Most of the Baron Von Joy's are too beat up to consider, and the boxed ones are almost MP money...

Let me see if I can find my Baron Von Joy next time I'm back at my parent's house. I remember not liking it a whole lot, so it's probably not in horrible shape. It might be a while until I'm back again, but if I can find it, I can send it to you for super cheap.