The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Well, that does go with Takara's obsession with wasting resources to include one-time-only accessories/features on MP figures, instead of including commonly-seen aspects...

To my understanding, it was also a design goal of the original Diaclone line, that the cars would fit Convoy's trailer. Roller is a filler piece so you have something to do with the catapult even if you don't have a car (yet).

You can't very well call it a masterpiece if it doesn't do EVERYTHING the original did, right? :p

In seriousness, I am assuming this feature of the line got more attention in Japan than America, so they care more than we do that the cars fit into Prime's trailer.

I fully expect that if they ever do "Scramble City" masterpieces, they will preserve the limb-swapping gimmick, because Japan is very familiar with that feature.

Edited by JB0

I fully expect that if they ever do "Scramble City" masterpieces, they will preserve the limb-swapping gimmick, because Japan is very familiar with that feature.

Which as 3P has shown, tends to only introduce compromises. The only real attempt was FP's Intimidator/M3, which lead to "not really forming the legs at all" and "not really transforming from alt-mode when used as legs", and was much derised because of it. (to the point that some people rejected the whole team mainly because of that aspect). "Dedicated" arms and legs work so much better, engineering-wise.

It's not G1 nowadays---"an unarticulated rectangle with a multi-purpose fist/foot-hole" will NOT cut it as a limb. Not when people complain about "visible elbow gaps" and "only 60 degrees of elbow flex". There's no way* you can design a figure that is a GOOD articulated quad-changer gestalt member (alt, bot, arm, leg). Triple-changers are hard enough.

*ok, I'm sure someone *could*. But assuming a budget/timeline of less than a $300 limb within the next 5 years, pretty much "no".

Which as 3P has shown, tends to only introduce compromises. The only real attempt was FP's Intimidator/M3, which lead to "not really forming the legs at all" and "not really transforming from alt-mode when used as legs", and was much derised because of it. (to the point that some people rejected the whole team mainly because of that aspect). "Dedicated" arms and legs work so much better, engineering-wise.

I didn't realize someone had tried.

I fully expected it to fail miserably. My instincts are good, apparently.

In any case, it's probably not going to be an issue any time soon.

Such a shame Nintendo, you should have given Takara the license to make Prime a SNES. The 90's Genesis vs SNES confrontation was the perfect fit for Megatron and OP.

Absolutely.

A PC Engine would've been a nice choice too. Though relatively obscure next to the Genesis. At least they'd be contemporaries.

Hey, the Super CD-ROM could even preserve the "trailer" concept for Prime. I like this more the more I think about it.

*snip*

Veef, no matter how many examples you post of Optimus Prime shoving cars into his trailer I will still think that it is a terribly implemented feature in the Masterpiece line and the Autobot cars are still a head to short. ^_^

THAT'S what I expected.

Veef, no matter how many examples you post of Optimus Prime shoving cars into his trailer I will still think that it is a terribly implemented feature in the Masterpiece line and the Autobot cars are still a head to short. ^_^

Personally, I don't deny it's a bad idea.

Just that I suspected(and appear to have been right) that it was considered a major feature of the original toy in Japan.

If it has a trailer(LIKE PRIMUS INTENDED), then the Japanese perspective is likely that the rest of the cars should fit in the trailer or what's even the point? It's like a Soundwave that can't hold cassettes.

And then they chose to compromise the cars rather than the trailer.

Caught these previews for Ultimetal Optimus Prime from tfw2005.

Snap fit magnetized armor! And normally I am not a fan of lights and sounds, but for this I would make an exception.

Sadly I do not have the funds for this.

Edited by lechuck

Well, earlier this summer I said I quit collecting Transformers. I cited a number of reasons... quality drops inversely proportional to price increases, a sort of scraping of the bottom of the barrel for new characters and rehashes of characters already in the CHUGs line, frustrations finding newer CHUGs as new movie toys flooded the limited shelf space retailers were making available for Transformers.

Apparently, Wal-Mart was saving their Transformers. I mean, I hadn't seen a new CHUG their since Fall of Cybertron Skywarp, but I noticed a large endcap display of Transformers when I stopped in for non-toy purchases. I wound up picking up Voyager Sky-Byte and Roadbuster, Deluxe Skids and Waspinator, and Legends Gears. I may stop back later, as they had several Deluxe Vehicons, Dreadwings, and Goldbugfires. Aside from Voyager Rhinox and Legends Tailgate and Swerve, that's pretty much all the ones I was frustrated I never found.

Caught these previews for Ultimetal Optimus Prime from tfw2005.

Snap fit magnetized armor! And normally I am not a fan of lights and sounds, but for this I would make an exception.

Sadly I do not have the founds for this.

Would love a VF-1J like that :D

uWKkklU.jpg

starsaber diecast content.

Edited by Gakken85

I just took my MP Skywarp from his stand and transformed it back and forth and I really need an updated toy of this one for robot-mode. In alt mode the F-15 looks great but robot-mode is a floppy mess. However knowing that most of the parts will be the same I wished Takara designed a whole new mold for MP-11 including a new transformation scheme. :(

Yay die-cast on Star Saber....

...I guess? :lol:

[edit:] So is the Brain of Courage also made out of die-cast?

Edited by Scyla

1. Vintage retro appeal. If you grew up in the 80's most Transformers had diecast.

2. Durability.

3. Heft. It makes the bot feel more hefty and substantial.

I'm a fan of it, but I think some designers have to balance it out and use it where the design calls for it. Nothing can ruin a toy faster than too much diecast as it causes balance problems.

For joints, and points of stress I think it's a must.

Robots are suppose to be made of metal :D

1. Vintage retro appeal. If you grew up in the 80's most Transformers had diecast.

2. Durability.

3. Heft. It makes the bot feel more hefty and substantial.

I'm a fan of it, but I think some designers have to balance it out and use it where the design calls for it. Nothing can ruin a toy faster than too much diecast as it causes balance problems.

For joints, and points of stress I think it's a must.

Robots are suppose to be made of metal :D

I think the only fair point is the first one. My regular plastic Deluxe Transformers have held up WAY better than, say, the Titanium series. In theory, quality die-cast should last longer than plastic, but the reality (especially as collectors who take care of our stuff) is that even our plastic toys will likely outlive us.

As for point three, I think this is a matter of personal preference, but I don't care for the added weight.

Also, glad you found the chugs you were looking for.

The durability of plastic vs diecast can be debated but I'm sure the quality of the material goes a long way. I wouldn't trust a plastic swing bar or chest plate on a VF-1 for example. I'm glad it's diecast.

Also, It's the mark of a high grade toy when more than one material is used. I like feeling the metal feet of my MP Soundwave, Prime, and the bits on Grimlock.

Edited by Gakken85

I liked the diecast on my MP-05 Megs...... until it started to rust.

:lol:

In all seriousness, when it comes to die-cast vs plastic, both materials have their ups and their downs, and the preference for or against it really boils down to a personal opinion. Personally, I don't care for it. But honestly, whether you like it or not, I think most of us have already made up our minds about Spacebrick, and I doubt that the inclusion of die-cast parts is really going to change too many minds. Just some of us who both like Spacebrick and like die-cast or don't care for him and don't care for die-cast got a little bonus satisfaction with their choices.

:lol:

In all seriousness, when it comes to die-cast vs plastic, both materials have their ups and their downs, and the preference for or against it really boils down to a personal opinion. Personally, I don't care for it. But honestly, whether you like it or not, I think most of us have already made up our minds about Spacebrick, and I doubt that the inclusion of die-cast parts is really going to change too many minds. Just some of us who both like Spacebrick and like die-cast or don't care for him and don't care for die-cast got a little bonus satisfaction with their choices.

QFT

Though I wonder how much die-cast will be in Ultra Magnus. Ha.

-b.

I’m a big fan if die-cast and rubber tires, toys from the 80’s feels nice and solid and the quality of the plastic was a lot better than today’s toys. To me, all of the new MP cars feels cheap, because when I pick it up, it’s so light as appose to the one made back in the days, even though it’s a lot smaller in size. Now a day, companies are cutting corners just to save a few bucks, which is sad actually. Every new MP announcement, I feel excited and sad at the same time. They don't realize, collectors are buying the toys not kids. -_-

I’m a big fan if die-cast and rubber tires, toys from the 80’s feels nice and solid and the quality of the plastic was a lot better than today’s toys. To me, all of the new MP cars feels cheap, because when I pick it up, it’s so light as appose to the one made back in the days, even though it’s a lot smaller in size. Now a day, companies are cutting corners just to save a few bucks, which is sad actually. Every new MP announcement, I feel excited and sad at the same time. They don't realize, collectors are buying the toys not kids. -_-

Going by the asking prices, they realize, but as you said corner cutting as it relates to real/perceived quality of materials will win out. Have profits to maximize.

-b.

If you want so see a bad implementation of die-cast look no further than the Alternity cars (Convoy and the Seekers). The die cast parts are a huge determent to fantastic toys but the material is just used in the wrong way.

In addition die-cast must fit the design aesthetic of the toy. It works great for old Super Robots like Mazinger Z because has big smooth surfaces that translates well when done in die-cast. On the Messiah Valkyries the metal intakes/hips don't work for me because the plane has many sharp angles that are not replicated on the die-cast part where the bevels are too round. Metal feed are mostly a good idea because they five the toys a solid base, also small components that have to be tough are prime candidates for die-cast.

Personally I really enjoy a good variety of materials i my collector toys because it separates them from the standard retail releases. However it is the responsibility of the designer to make smart decisions when selecting material and where to apply them.

Especially TakaraTomy made some questionable decisions over the years. I think the MP cars would have benefited from rubber tires and die-cast feet from a collector standpoint. They work well without it but they feel cheaper to me.

I wouldn't really trust the implementation of any material on cheaper transformers aimed for kids. Mileage varies too depending on how they are handled and treated.

Plastic yellows if you leave it out in the sun.

The Mp cars are saved purely on accuracy and design. If they weren't so accurate I'd agree. Diecast feet would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me since they aren't big enough or heavy enough on the top to need the extra weight.

Anything as big as the most excellent and massively awesome Star Saberuuuuu needs diecast IMO.

Edited by Gakken85

not sure why they are bothering to show diecast content there. that isn't a lot. the toy will not feel "old school" in hand just with that much. it looks as if they just added it to selective parts...probably for weight distribution and also for a little blin gin some areas. die cast makes me worry as much as it makes me excited because it can be done well or go horribly wrong. with that small amount though it deosn't do much for me one way or the other..unless it improves balane that much. eithe rawy, i'm thinking of cancelling star brick anyway. the lack of nostalgia factor for me is a big deal for me and TFs.