The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

It hasn't been done in the MP line. The white repaint from MP01 was just a repaint with no armor. Shrug.

They did release a white Optimus and label it as Ultra Magnus though yes? And the fact that they didn't even bother to give the dude any armor was even worse.

Shrugs indeed my friend. :p

I get the criticism labeled towards this new UM, and the butt flap thing is relatively irksome but I'm excited to have this in my collection much the same as others are to have Star Saber (see! I used his real name this time).

-b.

I'm happy for those who are finally getting a MP version of Star Saber. It does nothing for me personally, but I can appreciate finally getting a modern update of a toy from childhood. MP Prowl was that toy for me, and now I have him, Silverstreak, and Smokescreen. And just like Prowl, the designer of SS was personally invested in making the best version he could out of love for the character/original toy.

Ditto for me on Prowl. He was my favorite G1 toy as a kid. My brother and I had to share Optimus Prime, and we had most of the early minibots.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the prowl, smokescreen and bluestreak KO's and dealing them up with some third party stickers I got for the Takara releases.

Future masterpieces I want are Hound, Jazz, Sunstreaker, Hot Rod, Cliff Jumper, and Mirage

Edited by Golden Arms

Agree on all those and add Ratchet, Ironhide, Trailbreaker, the remaining Dinobots, Constructicons, Insecticons, all the remaining cassettes from both factions, Reflector, and a new improved Megatron.

So...

Orders for Ultra Magnus are open again at HLJ. I know I have been critical of this release, but after some more thought (and shuffling around other orders) I've decided to give the big guy another chance. If anyone else is looking, here is a direct link:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT80320/Sci

:)

Edited by technoblue

I'm moving this over here to where more 'formers fans will see it (thanks to SydneyY and the members of tfw2005):

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/982723-masterpiece-ultra-magnus-prototype-529.html#post11592127

The UM section of the translated MP Guide Book was a good read, but some of it was tough to read for me (especially a certain note on the team's direction during development). I think all the sketches show progress for the all-in-one design. There are early cartoon sketches that show Ultra Magnus without the toy transformation gimmick, and then later sketches that include the backpack gimmick that we have all seen. I think it's fair to say that an armored prime wouldn't have as prominent a backpack, but I'm still curious about how that armor would work.

And my hope remains that Takara will attempt a toy-based version of Powered Convoy later. Diaclone colors are okay! :D

Edited by technoblue

I'm moving this over here to where more 'formers fans will see it (thanks to SydneyY and the members of tfw2005):

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/982723-masterpiece-ultra-magnus-prototype-529.html#post11592127

The UM section of the translated MP Guide Book was a good read, but some of it was tough to read for me (especially a certain note on the team's direction during development). I think all the sketches show progress for the all-in-one design. There are early cartoon sketches that show Ultra Magnus without the toy transformation gimmick, and then later sketches that include the backpack gimmick that we have all seen. I think it's fair to say that an armored prime wouldn't have as prominent a backpack, but I'm still curious about how that armor would work.

And my hope remains that Takara will attempt a toy-based version of Powered Convoy later. Diaclone colors are okay! :D

Pretty cool, enjoyed looking at the design sketches and CAD drawings for Magnus.

-b.

I'm a diehard fan of UM, although I do think they could've made his legs and arms a tad thinner, even with all the gimmicks. I missed out on the MP Guide Book, I had it on preorder with HLJ, but it was listed as backordered, then says discontinue. I'm not willing to pay evil-bay price. IF ANYONE HAVE THE MP GUIDE BOOK AND WANT TO SELL IT, LET ME KNOW.

MP Jackie is looking good, although I do think they should've stick with the idea of having his ears clear just like his wings so that myself and others could attempted to add LED, but beggars can't be choosey.

Yeah people have been arguing for days if it's painted white or just plastic.

Those are from an asian toy show a few weeks back.

No, no. It looks like white plastic and I'm in the "don't care either way camp". What I meant is that those green and red strips or accents have a metallic look to the paint.

The white looks translucent around the shoulders & knee area. My guess is it's mostly white plastic with a few painted parts.

Yep.

-b.

I think it's painted on the outer parts that make the car form, and then some of the interiors arent painted. Like the plastic piece on the insides of prowls legs.

i think that is the way it is too (and should be), as that is what is done with the other mp cars (and for the most part to mp-10 convoy as well on the TT version). i think minimally there will be clearcoat over white plastic but i think it'd be better to go with white semigloss paint to match the finish on the sideswipe, prowl etc.

I'm a diehard fan of UM, although I do think they could've made his legs and arms a tad thinner, even with all the gimmicks. I missed out on the MP Guide Book, I had it on preorder with HLJ, but it was listed as backordered, then says discontinue. I'm not willing to pay evil-bay price. IF ANYONE HAVE THE MP GUIDE BOOK AND WANT TO SELL IT, LET ME KNOW.

MP Jackie is looking good, although I do think they should've stick with the idea of having his ears clear just like his wings so that myself and others could attempted to add LED, but beggars can't be choosey.

I can't tell you how glad I am that the "new" Masterpiece line has no LED gimmicks. I f'in hate LEDs in my collector toys. :angry: