The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

My TF and Macross parts, to a certain extent - yes. If I take too long, the intended price point doesn't make it worth the time and effort put in.

Not to say that I do them quick and nasty - I do invest a lot of time, skill and craftsmanship into each of my creations.

How do you know what a 3P maker's constraints are? Are you a full-figure 3P maker?

No, I only make individual parts for modding. In my spare time which I have increasingly less of.

I used to talk with a member of FansProjects about 5 years ago. At the time they were all full-time toy designers who made their initial kits on the side, just doing it out of passion and trying to keep a low profile. I'm not sure how they operate now, but if they have gone independent then I guess they must have a business model by now. But still, if so it would be nowhere near as restrictive as Hasbro/Takara's. Quite intriguing what they're doing now really... Dinobot Headmasters etc.

The high-end 3P groups like FansProject, Mastermind Creations etc may have good designers and can even deliver at a similar price-point (eg Feral Rex), but I'd say Takara probably has better. Hatsui was pulled off Masterpiece and assigned to the AoE Movie line... typical deluxe quality level toys. I'm sure the same thing would happen to any of the best 3P designers if they had the same restrictions placed on them.

I collect things that are made for adults because I want a nice product that I can display and really enjoy as an person with an older mind.

You realize you're talking about transformers, right?

Hatsui was pulled off Masterpiece and assigned to the AoE Movie line... typical deluxe quality level toys. I'm sure the same thing would happen to any of the best 3P designers if they had the same restrictions placed on them.

Hasui was assigned the AoE toys? Was he given a lobotomy first?

And as we all know, beastwars is an abomination before the Allspark.

Ha ha ha. Good one.

Beast Wars, from a "story" perspective is infinitely better than those pre-Transformers: The Movie G1 episodes. And I'm quite sure I'm older than both of you two fighting about it.

G1 = Win from a Transformer design perspective

BW = Win from a story (relative to the fact that it is a cartoon) perspective

-b.

I kept up with G1, until seeing the Movie, and then quickly lost interest.

Beast Wars was a bust because I didn't like that early CGI style.

OT: I had the same problem with Babylon 5, but eventually gave this show a second chance because of the story and now rank it as one of my favorite Sci-Fi series. I may give BW another chance when I want to do a Transformers marathon on a lazy weekend.

Animated was fantastic.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Prime, but I still have to finish the last season.

I haven't seen any of the others.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Best show: G1

Best story: G1

Best remembered: G1

Best toys: G1

Best commercials: G1

:)

(ripping a page from anime52k8) corrected.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I must have it.

And Megadrive Megatron too. I would've sworn that one was a one-off, and not a thing that was actually going into production.

Normally, I'd insist on calling it a Genesis, but I will bow to my japanese overlords this time because MEGADRIVE MEGATRON is just too much fun to say.

Megadrive Megatron.

Dude, you just don't get it because you weren't even born until, what? After Beast Wars?

how old do you think I am, 12? wait, don't answer that...

I'm old enough to have seen much of the original show through the medium of G2 and remember it.

Bah. If they really wanted him to be a rival for Megadrive Megatron, they'd have made him Super Famicom Prime.

Yep, lost opportunity right there :(

Maybe Nintendo was asking to much to let them use the SF.

Is that you, Tron? Tron: Uprising is a show that could use another season.

I'll reserve judgement on the new RID, especially since I'm not caught up with Prime and (if I'm reading the news correctly) this is supposed to continue with that story. The teaser looks good. It got my attention.

Edited by technoblue

Trukk not munky!

Haters.

Monkey that at one point had a flying surf board AND transformed into a flying space brick. Hell, by that logic Gakken should have a tattoo of Optimal Optimus on his arm.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Boo!

Take off the nostalgia vision glasses!

-b.

i think if it weren't for nostalgia we would'nt have michael bay making transformers relevant and though the movies are just a no plot cash cow... transformers are popular again...

i hope one day they make a classic g1 movie, they go back in time to 1980's and revive prime and bumblebee's to their 80's alt modes. i would pay to see that...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i think if it weren't for nostalgia we would'nt have michael bay making transformers relevant and though the movies are just a no plot cash cow... transformers are popular again...

i hope one day they make a classic g1 movie, they go back in time to 1980's and revive prime and bumblebee's to their 80's alt modes. i would pay to see that...

Well my quoting you was more along the lines of Beast Wars v. G1, but... :p

It wasn't nostalgia that prompted Hasbro to turn Transformers into a live-action franchise, it was the quest for more money. With the advance of CGI making productions like this fiscally feasible, well it was almost an eventuality.

Even my MOM wanted to go see AoE, not because she gives two craps about Transformers, but because she was in the mood for a big dumb action movie (raising me, she's who got me into Star Trek and the like to begin with).

We'll chalk this up to different tastes, but I NEVER liked G1 Bumblebee, not as a kid, not in the movie and not as Goldbug. At least in the Bay films he is more than just a goofy, borderline useless human sidekick.

I'm on team: Let the cartoons be the cartoons and the live action movies be the live action movies.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well my quoting you was more along the lines of Beast Wars v. G1, but... :p

We'll chalk this up to different tastes, but I NEVER liked G1 Bumblebee, not as a kid, not in the movie and not as Goldbug. At least in the Bay films he is more than just a goofy, borderline useless human sidekick.

-b.

yeah beast wars writers started out purposely all new separate with no relation to g1. but then later listening to fans, began to link the story with g1 characters which made it great.

sorry, i must've forgot that not everyone is a huge g1 fan...i assume everyone is crazy about g1... it's hard to imagine someone doesn't like bumblebee. sorta weird... bumblebee was like r2 d2 to prime...

yeah beast wars writers started out purposely all new separate with no relation to g1. but then later listening to fans, began to link the story with g1 characters which made it great.

sorry, i must've forgot that not everyone is a huge g1 fan...i assume everyone is crazy about g1... it's hard to imagine someone doesn't like bumblebee. sorta weird... bumblebee was like r2 d2 to prime...

Great analogy, R2 D2 got on my nerves too (well in the original trilogy, I actually liked him in the prequels). :ph34r: / :lol:

-b.

If you don't think Animated and Beast Wars weren't the two best shows in the history of the franchise, you just haven't seen everything.

G1 was a show built only to sell toys, In fact it was the First time a Toy Company was allowed to make a cartoon based on retail goods.

G1 in hindsight, is pretty bad, it's great for little, little, little kids, but the Love everyone has is Definitely for the childhood sake.

If you really think that the G1 series was a masterful cartoon, I have a DVD boxset of Masterpiece Bugs Bunny for you too.

In regards to concept, story telling, and the ability to produce a good program, while also sell merchandise.. it's definitely nothing but

Animated and Beast Wars. The Animators and writers behind those shows, were trying to tell a story, and not just sell to kids 3 and up.

Let go of the bricks!