The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Would love, love, love, love, love Masterpiece Hound, Iron Hide, Ratchet, Sunstreaker, Jazz, Springer, Kup, Blurr, etc.

It looks like I'm more forgiving of MP Hot Rod because I don't think it was terribly terrible, it just needed a tweak here or there. That said I would not be opposed to a new and improved version.

In unrelated Masterpiece news/wish lists, I present to you Rob Liefeld and an illustration showing that he still sucks;

post-357-0-19540700-1397927664_thumb.jpg

That's a variant cover from the upcoming Transformers vs GI Joe published by IDW.

-b.

In unrelated Masterpiece news/wish lists, I present to you Rob Liefeld and an illustration showing that he still sucks;

attachicon.gifLiefeld Should Just Roll Out.jpg

That's a variant cover from the upcoming Transformers vs GI Joe published by IDW.

That is really bad. He doesn't seem to have improved at all - it's like sucking is his trademark style. At least they don't have 30 pouches each anymore.

I keep hearing this Liefield guy's name pretty often. So he's basically famous for sucking at what he does?

Kinda reminds me of Uwe Boll.

Start here. It's almost obligatory at this point. After all these years, I still get a chuckle out of it.

I too am in favor of a new MP Hot Rod, no Rodimus, just Hot Rod-just to have his alt mode in scale with the other MPs.

That is really bad. He doesn't seem to have improved at all - it's like sucking is his trademark style. At least they don't have 30 pouches each anymore.

If you see Rob Liefeld on a signing panel at a convention and you ask him nicely enough to draw you a pouch, he will. True story.

post-4286-0-24547700-1397964249_thumb.jpg

man, now I really want to order a G2 sideswipe and put a crap load of pouches on him...

If you see Rob Liefeld on a signing panel at a convention and you ask him nicely enough to draw you a pouch, he will. True story.

attachicon.gif1369182586645.jpg

man, now I really want to order a G2 sideswipe and put a crap load of pouches on him...

Do it.

(the G2 Sideswipe, but if you got Liefeld to draw you a pouch that would be epic)

-b.

Start here. It's almost obligatory at this point. After all these years, I still get a chuckle out of it.

I too am in favor of a new MP Hot Rod, no Rodimus, just Hot Rod-just to have his alt mode in scale with the other MPs.

Oh wow, it's hilariously painful to look at some of those drawings!

attachicon.gif1369182586645.jpg

At least he knows what he's famous for, for better or worse.

Was this posted before?

27424209d1394495543-age-extinction-1st-e

Yup, it's what you think it is---that is one single example of the AOE Prime figure. It's really two toys in one!

Really, why even make it a TF at this point? They should just flat-out make a nice diecast HotWheels truck and a super-articulated revoltech-style robot.

Yeah, at this point, I just have to ask, "why bother?"

Bay is pushing for ever more complicated designs, while Hasbro is trying to keep it simple for the kids. This whole shell-formers thing the Otpimus toy has going on here is beyond ridiculous.

Then again, it is cheaper and more convenient to just get this, than to get a 1/35 scale Western Star kit and a (possible, but unlikely) DMK AoE Optimus kit.

At least the deluxe toys don't look too bad.

Edited by GU-11

honestly, Big convoy is nearly as bad and yet that's one of the coolest beast-former toys ever released. being a robot stuffed in an alt mode shell does not automatically disqualify it from being a good toy.

Frankly, I'm not too big a fan of Big Convoy or beast-formers in general, but fair enough. Still, there is the issue of screen accuracy. I don't know whether the toy or the manga/anime came first, but Big Convoy looks consistent with it in toy form.

Whether a toy is "good" or "bad" is subjective, but AoE Optimus is certainly NOT screen accurate.

AoE Optimus was designed such that it's almost impossible for him to realistically have an alt mode, and only transforms on screen through "smoke and mirrors." Since the toy doesn't have the luxury of CGI magic, it has a ton of car parts hanging off him that aren't supposed to be there in the CGI, and simply hides inside a truck shell.

I don't blame Hasbro for this, but the design itself is just ridiculous.

If OP looked and transformed like that in the movie, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it. I'd still have a problem with it, just not as much. :p

When Transformers stop transforming, then what's the point. as someone else said, if you favor bot mode, go for the eventual Revoltech...at least you'll have a decently sculpted figure with a lot of articulation. If you like the vehicle, buy a model or high end die-cast toy.

All of bay's designs from day one have been CG smoke and mirrors. Things like tires, split apart, one half here, the other half there, and so forth. There's no set transformation scheme to any of them, and the very make up of the things makes them unrealistic, unfeasible, magical creatures that morph rather than transforming in the mechanical sense. That's why I wish they'd designed the toys first, ironed out mechanically feasible transformations, and made the on-screen versions closely match the toys. Instead, the toys are huge cheats. Some of the car bots have 8 tires throughout their bot modes, because the tires in the movie break up into sections and end up in different places all over the bot. I'd rather they had gone the Alternators route...at least the cars used for filming could have been altered to actually fit the look of the toys, rather than cheat like hell on an impossible transformation.

I really wish Bay had quit this franchise after the first three catastrophes. It is apparent to me that this guy has no knowledge, feel, or attachment to what made the franchise great to begin with. He's in love with his own vision, which to my long time fan's eyes, is merely loud and void of charm, character, dialog (esp the Decepticons, who have no personality in Bay's films and exist as mere 1 dimensional caricatures), or decent plotting. As much as I like a lot of the actors in the upcoming movie, it is the eponymous characters that I want to see, with Megatron artfully, brilliantly creating a scheme, sending out his Decepticon troops, who actually talk to each other and make whatever observations , snide comments, or personality indicative motions requisite to their characters, while Prime and crew concern themselves with figuring out Megs' plan and stopping him, with a little bit of help from the humans. Moreover, Prime is closer to Megatron's personality in Bay's movies, rushing in to kill them all indiscriminately. I simply find the live action movies to be soulless, frustrating, unlikeable parodies made by an arrogant former car commercial director with absolutely no connection to his subject matter. Wow, sorry for the rant. I usually try to stay positive, but I feel this time around we're getting a double-whammy, where the toys and their inspiration will be composed of the same brand of suck.

That's actually really well said. I usually try to set my expectations (high, low or indifference) accordingly and just enjoy the ride for what it is, but there was a lot of what you said that resonated with both my purely "adult" sensibilities as well as to those of my "the big kid/stay true to the dreams of my youth".

Re: the toys, I would be a fan of the Revoltech line since for the live-action franchise I like the Bot mode more than just about all of the vehicles, but the figures are too small for my liking. That's why I really like the DMK line and wish that Takara would expand on it or even go the route of something like Metal Build for those of us with no model building skill whatsoever.

I don't think I've ever actually purchased ANY transformable figure from Bay's movies. And as a "toy" guy that says a lot.

-b.

Dark of the Moon actually gave me a headache -- a real, physical response. I had to go lay down after seeing that movie. I was also not a fan of how they portrayed Prime in that movie -- he came off as a violent soldier-type, rather than the benevolent and protective leader he was originally portrayed as. I mean, what's next, they're gonna start making Superman a killer? Oh wait...

Dark of the Moon actually gave me a headache -- a real, physical response. I had to go lay down after seeing that movie. I was also not a fan of how they portrayed Prime in that movie -- he came off as a violent soldier-type, rather than the benevolent and protective leader he was originally portrayed as. I mean, what's next, they're gonna start making Superman a killer? Oh wait...

Well at least he cried to his mommy...errr...Lois after. I was more traumatized by how many people in Metropolis must have died.

I thought Prime was way more homicidal in Revenge of the Fallen, shooting Decepticons in the head while they were down and ripping faces off, but truly the only Transformer with a consistent personality throughout the first three movies was Bee.

-b.

Found this pic while surfing, cant't read Japanese, would someone care to translate?

It's fan made, Takara has not shown what Ultra Magnus is made of, but the designer had said it is not a MP-10 re-shell.

So I doubt it's some kind of scoop, since it already looks like a simple 'shop.

Cool pic.

I keep hearing this Liefield guy's name pretty often. So he's basically famous for sucking at what he does?

Kinda reminds me of Uwe Boll.

He was around during the big boom of comics in the 90's. Variant hologram covers, trading cards, and all manner of other crap.

Comics were selling like nuts.

Mcfarlane, Liefeld, Lee and some others branched off from Marvel and did Image comics. They basically did their own crappy versions of marvel and DC heros. This is where Spawn came from.

Anyway, Liefeld got started in X-factor and people seemed to love his work, which started out decent. But the more he drew the more shortcuts he took. He is pretty much the gold standard for lazy comic book art and 90's excess. Buckles. Ammo pouches. Silly techno guns with no real rhyme or reason.

He drew up Cable and Deadpool, actually.

Cool pic.

He was around during the big boom of comics in the 90's. Variant hologram covers, trading cards, and all manner of other crap.

Comics were selling like nuts.

Mcfarlane, Liefeld, Lee and some others branched off from Marvel and did Image comics. They basically did their own crappy versions of marvel and DC heros. This is where Spawn came from.

Anyway, Liefeld got started in X-factor and people seemed to love his work, which started out decent. But the more he drew the more shortcuts he took. He is pretty much the gold standard for lazy comic book art and 90's excess. Buckles. Ammo pouches. Silly techno guns with no real rhyme or reason.

He drew up Cable and Deadpool, actually.

Sounds like he just stopped caring after he realized he could get away with just about anything.

I still remember the comics boom back in the 90's. A friend of mine was obsessed with them. Hell, he even talked me into buying some Ripclaw comics. He seemed like a Native American Wolverine to me, but I liked the artwork. Is Top Cow still around anymore?

He got caught stealing a cover art work.

Caught as in lawsuit, or someone just realized it but no one did a thing?

Edited by GU-11

Well I think it was keeping up with the demands of drawing, and not having all the technical skill that he should have had.

He hid feet and hands with smoke and boarders. And he drew really weird proportions.

Anyway, Don't want to hijack :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

Sounds like he just stopped caring after he realized he could get away with just about anything.

I still remember the comics boom back in the 90's. A friend of mine was obsessed with them. Hell, he even talked me into buying some Ripclaw comics. He seemed like a Native American Wolverine to me, but I liked the artwork. Is Top Cow still around anymore?

Caught as in lawsuit, or someone just realized it but no one did a thing?

http://www.heromachine.com/2009/06/26/reason-12-he-steals-badly/#more-4251

that's part of the reason image fired him is bc he would steal from other artists in the company.

anyways back to transformers, i can't wait for wheel jack

Just one more off-topic reply for the road... :D

Well I think it was keeping up with the demands of drawing, and not having all the technical skill that he should have had.

He hid feet and hands with smoke and boarders. And he drew really weird proportions.

Anyway, Don't want to hijack :D

That sounds about right. Actually, that sounds like how I used to draw as a kid, using angles and stuff to hide hands and feet.

http://www.heromachine.com/2009/06/26/reason-12-he-steals-badly/#more-4251

that's part of the reason image fired him is bc he would steal from other artists in the company.

anyways back to transformers, i can't wait for wheel jack

Wow, how's this guy still in business?

And...back on topic.

My local hobby store better start opening pre-orders for MP Wheeljack soon, cause I'm sweating bullets right now. HLJ has already stopped orders for WJ. Should have pulled the trigger instead of waiting on the hobby store. <_<

Guest davidwhangchoi

i need to get one (awesome picture thanks for posting) ultra magnus revealed looks great

Edited by davidwhangchoi