VF-0 Replacement Parts

VF5SS

I was going to do a video but no time today. Also shapeways also seems to be having some trouble uploading parts at the moment. I have contacted them and will hopefully hear back tomorrow.

The plan is to offer a complete set of parts for the left arm as one bundle and the same for the right.

The upper or lower replacement parts can be used with the stock Yamato parts if desired. The accuracy Shapeways is claiming seems to be a bit conservative. This has made some aspects of the design more difficult.

-On 4 sets I have ordered the shoulder varies from tight to very tight, it can be adjusted by the tightness of the two screws that hold the shoulder together. If for some reason the shoulder is loose you should be able to re-use the rubber pad from the yamato arms to add tension to the joint.

-The elbow swivel seems sufficient and can hold the weight of the gunpod. I would have liked to make it a bit tighter but could not do so and guarantee the parts to fit. This was the main revision that I had to make after receiving the first set of parts. The rubber part from the Yamato arms should be be reused.

Awesome! Were you able to ask about having the parts cast in grey?

If grey won't be made available, would the polished white be suggested over the regular white? Which surface would be easier to paint on?

Shapeways has no plans to bring back gray as a color option. Black is quite dark, closer to the fill color for the circle bar.

The parts have not been tested with the "polished" material option. They should work but no guarantees. Expect some loss in detail in exchange for a smoother surface finish. I would not expect the finish to make much of a difference with painting.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my order in yesterday which I inked with a dark gray Sharpie which didn't seem to have any adverse effects on the plastic.

The parts are holding up well and went through transformation without any hiccups.

Glad to see my 0A having fully functional shoulders now.

Many thanks for taking up this job!

• 1 month later...

It's good to hear the parts are working and can be easily colored. I feel like paint is a hassle for most owners.

I agree 100%! I really don't have a lot of time as it is in life, and I don't have the tools or paint.

I also feel like I would ruin the parts :p . Thanks again Veef! I love what you are doing for collectors, that love their toys :D

Just remember these are the kinds of paint you can use if you choose to do so

There are several types of paint that you can use to paint White, Strong & Flexible

• acrylic paint, water based
  • acrylic paint, solvent based
  • cellulose spray paint, solvent based
  • nail varnish, acetate solvent based or acrylic
  • oil paint

Edited by VF5SS

Any plans to make replacements for the socket that the shoulder ball joint goes into? The part that's covered by the shoulder armor, I mean.

The shoulder sockets on both arms of my VF-0A had disintegrated and no glue on earth could put it back together again.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

The parts being sold include the upper and lower arm as a set. I assume the upper arm is what you are talking about.

640x476_566409_429417_1338417678.jpg

Hmmm, actually, you're right. My bad. It had been a long time since I had looked at the piece and I was thinking there was another piece that attached. I had to take off the shoulder armor to verify.

• 1 month later...

I just got replacements for the left and right arms on my VF-0A today. It doesn't look too bad. It definitely looks rougher, but it works.

I painted it with gunship gray colored enamel paint which looks close enough. I only replaced the upper arm and it still works well with the lower half once I transferred the rubber insert. I had to cut up a rubber band and stick some pieces into the socket so that the arms would stay in place for posing. Otherwise they just flop around.

post-10222-0-98524100-1345089450_thumb.jpg

Thanks for making this available, Veef!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but I think it deserves a bump! I just discovered these replacement parts a few weeks ago and ordered a pair from Shapeways. I've had my VF-0A sitting in the closet for almost 6 years, because the plastic in the elbow joints disintegrated. It's back on display now, with two working arms.

Thank you for designing these replacement parts. You've done a huge service to all of us crazy toy collectors.

I know this is an old topic, but I think it deserves a bump! I just discovered these replacement parts a few weeks ago and ordered a pair from Shapeways. I've had my VF-0A sitting in the closet for almost 6 years, because the plastic in the elbow joints disintegrated. It's back on display now, with two working arms.

Thank you for designing these replacement parts. You've done a huge service to all of us crazy toy collectors.

Thats awesome to hear, No VF-0 should be left in a box with busted Arms. B))