VF-0 Replacement Parts

VF5SS

If you haven't thought of it already, I know some people have had similar problems with the knee joint pieces, since they were made of the same plastic. I think Graham mentioned his VF-0's leg shearing off at the knee.

I don't know if those parts would be as easy to reproduce though. They're still not a ton of plastic, but they're quite a bit bigger than the shoulders.

Meh. Scorthed Earth reviews aren't that helpful. Loose joints on the VF-0 are easy to fix.

I think I was actually more concerned about the loose "spine" on the toy that allows the cockpit area to flop around and causes the air intakes to not lock into place properly. That and the janky sounding feet; not stoked on buying one and finding out I didn't get one that has locking feet... I'm sure there's a fix for most of the issues with the toy, but since I've still got a few VF-1's to collect, I figure that'll give me time to wait for your replacement parts to get dialed before I throw down on a VF-0. Keep up the good work man!

I think I was actually more concerned about the loose "spine" on the toy that allows the cockpit area to flop around and causes the air intakes to not lock into place properly. That and the janky sounding feet; not stoked on buying one and finding out I didn't get one that has locking feet... I'm sure there's a fix for most of the issues with the toy, but since I've still got a few VF-1's to collect, I figure that'll give me time to wait for your replacement parts to get dialed before I throw down on a VF-0. Keep up the good work man!

A lot of that is just little tolerance issues that can be fixed with a little glue, nail polish, paint, or whatever you like to thicken things.

I'm not saying the toy is perfect but there are ways to do a little maintenance if you wish to keep the figure for a long time.

We're doing both the left and right shoulders and also the elbows. You guys can let me know if you want everything listen individually (like one right shoulder replacement is its own entity) or bundled (like right shoulder and right elbow in one order).

Shapeways's flat rate shipping makes it so having multiple models on order no a big issue.

They are normally cast in white and can be dyed in several colors by shapeways. You can also use your own plastic dyes or acrylic paints to color them yourself.

As noted, Shapeways's gray dye gives them a slightly purple gray color.

Awesome.

Is the surface of the part rough or smooth? From my experience with Shapeways parts the surfaces have been rough as opposed to a glossy smooth finish.

Either way I'll be buying these sets once the final adjustments are made.

Thanks!

There is a pretty easy fix for the spine issue, has to do with bending the metal plate in the nose into the correct shape. I don't know where it went, but I definitely wrote a short tutorial on how to do it. It's probably part of one of the VF-0 reissue threads that popped up in this forum.

There is a pretty easy fix for the spine issue, has to do with bending the metal plate in the nose into the correct shape. I don't know where it went, but I definitely wrote a short tutorial on how to do it. It's probably part of one of the VF-0 reissue threads that popped up in this forum.

Wasn't it part of the What's wrong with my Yamato, Bandai, etc. thread? That tutorial was very helpful to me.

Could be there too, I think it was probably cross-linked. I just don't remember which thread it came from originally. ^_^

Correction, I found it. It was linked to the "What's Wrong..." topic (which is now in the hall of super topics somehow, so we might want to make a version II), but the fix originally showed up in the VF-0 reissue thread.

Here ya go! :)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33217&view=findpost&p=860058

Edited by Chronocidal

• 5 weeks later...

New parts are on order, due to ship in 10 days. They should work now with no fit issues. Will update when I receive them. For some reason Shapeways no longer offers grey in their Strong and Flexible material. I have ordered black and will see how it looks in person. Otherwise it will have to be painted. I have contacted Shapeways to inquire about the possibility of returning Grey as a color choice.

• 4 weeks later...