DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

My love for Ozma's Armored Messiah knows no end. I am reasonably sure that it is my very favorite of all of the Valkyries. It is just so very, very intimidating. Being able to finally have it back on fully armed display makes me giddy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I need to get a replacement part that has broken on 2 of my VF-25's. It is the piece that connects the leg/hips to the back. For the life of me I cant seem to figure out how to post a picture (can't use image hosting) to show the piece I am referring to so I put it as my profile picture. :fool: Hope you don't mind Jenius that I modified a picture from Anymoon.

If anyone could help to get a 3D print made of this piece I would be very grateful. I tried looking on Shapeways but couldn't find anything. I was hoping that if it broke on two of mine that it would be a common enough of an issue that others may have already made it.

ChaoticYeti may be able to help. You're not the first person who's had that part break and I seem to recall someone making a part for it. He comes to mind but if it wasn't him, he might be able to whip something up for you. Plus, his stands are the best thing ever. ;)

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I need to get a replacement part that has broken on 2 of my VF-25's. It is the piece that connects the leg/hips to the back. For the life of me I cant seem to figure out how to post a picture (can't use image hosting) to show the piece I am referring to so I put it as my profile picture. :fool: Hope you don't mind Jenius that I modified a picture from Anymoon.

If anyone could help to get a 3D print made of this piece I would be very grateful. I tried looking on Shapeways but couldn't find anything. I was hoping that if it broke on two of mine that it would be a common enough of an issue that others may have already made it.

Is it this tiny piece?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P3NMXGCSY/v2-messiah-cracked-hips-replacement?optionId=42293463&li=user-profile

YES!!! That's the one. Thank you. You da man. Guess I should have searched for Messiah or directly under your profile instead of VF-25.

Quick question though Yeti ... I see that it is in beta. Should I just get one and try it out first or has it already been tested by others so I should be OK with getting two?

I have not had any complaints yet. Should be good to go!

2 it is then. Ordered and on the way soon hopefully. Thank you both for the quick replies.

Sucks that the shipping was more than the actual pieces but in the end paying less than $10 total to fix these will be more than worth it. It will be so nice to have these back in one piece.

2 it is then. Ordered and on the way soon hopefully. Thank you both for the quick replies.

Sucks that the shipping was more than the actual pieces but in the end paying less than $10 total to fix these will be more than worth it. It will be so nice to have these back in one piece.

The only thing I could do about that would be to raise the cost of the part to be higher than shipping ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Got my parts this past weekend. I had to drill the holes a little and sand the sides (as expected for printed parts) and they worked like a charm. Happy to have my VF-25's back in service.

Whew. Awesome! Mind telling people what size bit you used?

Whew. Awesome! Mind telling people what size bit you used?

Sure. I'll have to look tonight to verify the size. I used a pin vise but all of the bits it comes with were too small so I ended up using the smallest bit that came in my standard drill bit set. Was the perfect size.

Edit: It was a 1/16th bit.

Edited by Boobytrap

• 1 month later...

The only toy I have tried from this line is the VF-25A Renewal. It had a very bad fit for the front landing gear doors, so much that they would not close anywhere near to flush. I could not tell the reason for the problem, but it did not seem to be a warped door - perhaps something to do with the parts that slide inside. That turned me off from this line pretty quickly. That's a shame, because I like the design of them in fighter mode.

The only toy I have tried from this line is the VF-25A Renewal. It had a very bad fit for the front landing gear doors, so much that they would not close anywhere near to flush. I could not tell the reason for the problem, but it did not seem to be a warped door - perhaps something to do with the parts that slide inside. That turned me off from this line pretty quickly. That's a shame, because I like the design of them in fighter mode.

My F had that issue as well. Managed to get them closed albeit slanted after some tinkling.

Hey everyone. I received my YF-29 Isamu from spanner a couple weeks ago (thanks! it's a gem ;) ) and just got around to tinkering with it yesterday. It transforms pretty much exactly like a -25, which isn't at all surprising. But when getting it back to fighter mode, I noticed that I couldn't completely straighten the Gerwalk joint (so that the armor panels sit flush with each other) or else the wings wouldn't fold down correctly. I had to have them open one ratchet click, and then everything fit into place smoothly.

Is this the "correct" way to go about things with this lineage of VF design? I have an inkling that the "Tornado Pack" design of the -29 plays a significant role in that joint needing to be engaged; if I remember correctly, almost all Super/Armored/etc.-equipped VFs require that little bit of clearance offered by engaging the Gerwalk joint.

I also remember not being able to get my Super/Armored -25 kits to play nice in this same area, and I was probably messing up in the same spot with them, too. If anyone can confirm/debunk this hypothesis, that'd be much appreciated.

My F had that issue as well. Managed to get them closed albeit slanted after some tinkling.

I did quite a bit of working with it and did get it to shut flush, but couldn't reproduce that every time. I also left it overnight and the shut doors popped back to the skewed position.

I did quite a bit of working with it and did get it to shut flush, but couldn't reproduce that every time. I also left it overnight and the shut doors popped back to the skewed position.

I placed the left door slightly above the right one to prevent it from popping back out.

The YF-29 is basically an integrated Super pack design, complete with the same arrangement for the legs as any other add-on part valk. It's odd because it's not like you can remove them to put the legs in a normal pose, but that's the way this one works.

Edited by mickyg

Hey everyone. I received my YF-29 Isamu from spanner a couple weeks ago (thanks! it's a gem ;) ) and just got around to tinkering with it yesterday. It transforms pretty much exactly like a -25, which isn't at all surprising. But when getting it back to fighter mode, I noticed that I couldn't completely straighten the Gerwalk joint (so that the armor panels sit flush with each other) or else the wings wouldn't fold down correctly. I had to have them open one ratchet click, and then everything fit into place smoothly.

Is this the "correct" way to go about things with this lineage of VF design? I have an inkling that the "Tornado Pack" design of the -29 plays a significant role in that joint needing to be engaged; if I remember correctly, almost all Super/Armored/etc.-equipped VFs require that little bit of clearance offered by engaging the Gerwalk joint.

I also remember not being able to get my Super/Armored -25 kits to play nice in this same area, and I was probably messing up in the same spot with them, too. If anyone can confirm/debunk this hypothesis, that'd be much appreciated.

as always, a pic is best for situation like this.

did you check out the transformation videos on youtube?

While we're talking YF-29's---can someone have a look at the base of the barrels, when the (tornado)guns are fully extended? I swear the left and right are sculpted differently---there's multiple "rings" on the right, only a single "ring" on the left. (hard to explain, will try to take a pic tomorrow).

Also, Ozma's is losing paint left and right. It's not that easy to tell, as the dark bronze paint is over dark grey plastic, but the guns are losing some of their bronze paint---both the backpack ones and the "wrist" ones. (lost some paint on a foot like the first day, which is especially common on Ozma's)

PS--anyone ever managed to open open up the tornado cannon pack? I suspect mine could use some tweaking, both for barrel alignment and joint stiffness-wise. But it looks like it's glued together, and couldn't be opened without destroying it.

You referring to the Ozma 25, or 29? I will say my first VF-25S had some seriously nonsensical paint issues on the legs, as if the paint just got randomly eaten away on the hips. Hate die-cast so much in that regard. <_< Fortunately all the chips are covered up by the armored pack, so they'll never be seen, but still.

I've not looked at the cannon pack, but I'm considering getting some ultra thin glue to try and seep into the assorted joints that can't be easily accessed on all of my valks. Bandai just loves gluing things together from multiple directions.

The YF-29 is basically an integrated Super pack design, complete with the same arrangement for the legs as any other add-on part valk. It's odd because it's not like you can remove them to put the legs in a normal pose, but that's the way this one works.

mickyg is correct. The Gerwalk joint is not supposed to be all the way flush. That's the way my Rod was coming out of the package, and that's how it fits back together.

Ah, that puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the confirmation, you two.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 2:40 PM, spanner said:

The armor set is a good thing but rather unnecessarily expensive.. 

Back in the day before the VF-25S reissue was announced people raided BBTS cuz they had Ozzie and Alto Armor parts sets for sale... AT RETAIL O_o

It was a glorious day for the opponents of wallets everywhere

Really, the Alto and Ozma VF-25 releases were easy-peasy to get ahold of.  Both of them opened multiple times on HLJ, and it didn't require any odd hours at all, I just casually went to the site mid-afternoon.

Then they were actually released, and everyone realized that Bandai hadn't screwed them up again.  That's when the pre-order nightmares began. :p

Think that was before anyone really knew about NY though, or it was before they started selling the exclusives.  I got my armor and super packs through a group order here, and it went easily enough, but even at retail price, the armor packs were always pretty expensive due to how much material is in there.  They probably have more moving parts than the valk itself.

What's really just sad is that Bandai reissued the valks, but never bothered with the packs.  Ozma's armor was pretty much the defining look of Frontier, in practically every episode.  Did we ever see his valk without some kind of armor pack?  The single time I remember seeing him out of the armor was when he was using the super packs.

It seriously feels like I've seen Gundam add-on packs that had 10 sec or less of screentime get more releases. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal