DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

but will there be a Miria one?

I can't lopside my collection like that... :ph34r:

I put this link in the 31AX thread too.  If you want these things go spam Bluefins about all of the Macross releases being your favorite thing from the show.  Mention this 40th Anniversary 25 by name if you want.

Share the link everyplace you hang out that may have Macross fans.  We need to get a critical mass going now.

Edited by Mommar

On 11/20/2021 at 11:27 PM, jenius said:

Is the UN Spacy kite off limits as being from SDF Macross?

Good question. The short answer: most likely not.

Harmony Gold claimed the UN Spacy kite as a trademark design, which prevented it from appearing on other toys in the US. But now that Harmony Gold is licensing their registered "Macross" mark to Big West, it follows that they're also letting Big West use the UN Spacy kite design as well. Forbidding Big West from using the UN Spacy kite would defeat the purpose of letting them the use "Macross" mark, since the two are intertwined.

5 hours ago, Alphahorizon said:

To bad it went so fast. Although I did sleep right through it all. It is IMO (only) my favorite color scheme I have seen. The fact it is matte as well is even better. Oh well.

This is my first vf-25.. I hope they give this matte treatment for all past renewal figures this mold deserves it as it's better then the delta figures, at least in fighter mode imo.

1 minute ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Good question. The short answer: most likely not.

Harmony Gold claimed the UN Spacy kite as a trademark design, which prevented it from appearing on other toys in the US. But now that Harmony Gold is licensing their registered "Macross" mark to Big West, it follows that they're also letting Big West use the UN Spacy kite design as well. Forbidding Big West from using the UN Spacy kite would defeat the purpose of letting them the use "Macross" mark, since the two are intertwined.

So most likely not "off limits" but would BW need to pay HG if the UN Spacy kite appears on merchandising?" It does feel like NUNS, SMS, Xaos, etc. have been a way for BW to move away from the kite whether inspired by HG or not. 

I just Pre Ordered a WWM VF-25 from The Chosen Prime, NO deposit required....Free Shipping.....No Tax......$219.99 shipped.... or add $8 for "collector grade"....sweet....thanks for the link @sh9000

https://www.thechosenprime.com/bsdcvf25messiahvalkyrie

Easiest Valkyrie PO in over a decade!  Glad I slept through the madness of a couple of days ago...LOL 

I hope PO Madness will just simply be PO Day for all future non-SDFM/DYRL releases.... :drinks:

Here's to hoping that HG and the various Japanese purveyors of fine Macross merch can come up with some arrangement for SDFM/DYRL releases! 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

I just Pre Ordered a WWM VF-25 from BBTS, a $22.00 non refundable deposit is required. They have it for $219.00 plus shipping. 

Easiest Valkyrie PO in a very long time. 

Bit the bullet and did the same.  I really like the look of this guy though.

14 hours ago, jenius said:

So most likely not "off limits" but would BW need to pay HG if the UN Spacy kite appears on merchandising?" It does feel like NUNS, SMS, Xaos, etc. have been a way for BW to move away from the kite whether inspired by HG or not. 

Man, what I wouldn't give to review Big West and Harmony Gold's contract. My guess is that the "Macross" mark and UN Spacy kite design will be rolled up into a flat licensing fee, with royalties paid to HG on each item sold. Separating the "Macross" mark and kite design into individual fees could be problematic for HG, as Big West and Bandai could simply remove the kites from their toys in order to avoid paying HG. To which HG could object that the toys aren't faithful representations without the kites. It'd just makes things more complicated than necessary.

14 hours ago, jenius said:

It does feel like NUNS, SMS, Xaos, etc. have been a way for BW to move away from the kite whether inspired by HG or not. 

I  believe those logos were a direct response to Harmony Gold's claim of the UN Spacy kite. It's too much of a coincidence that Big West replaced the kite after all the lawsuits were concluded in Japan. If Big West had renamed the franchise to Megaroad or Macbeth in America, HG would've had no legal recourse. But that was probably a bridge too far.

5 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

Are people pissed that stayed up during pre-order madness whether they scored or not?  Now those guys must be cancelling orders left and right.  I mean they'd be paying higher shipping fees if they didn't.

That's me right there. Cancel my order from overseas to buy 2 pcs locally.

Not only i'm saving myself from the international shipping cost but it's also saving me from paying import tax that add about 15% from overall cost.

7 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

Are people pissed that stayed up during pre-order madness whether they scored or not?  Now those guys must be cancelling orders left and right.  I mean they'd be paying higher shipping fees if they didn't.

Nah it’s a wash. Got mine from HLJ and bought at second I’m the States with free shipping. HLJ was cheaper but the TCO is about the same when you include shipping

You'll also get it a month earlier, possibly longer. Many of the things from Japan I've ordered in the past year or so from domestic retailers have often been delayed for months. So if the supply chain snarls continue into next spring, that May 2022 date may slip to June or July or even later.

Cost-wise it's pretty much a wash, unless you live somewhere that really dings you with import taxes.

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

You'll also get it a month earlier, possibly longer. Many of the things from Japan I've ordered in the past year or so from domestic retailers have often been delayed for months. So if the supply chain snarls continue into next spring, that May 2022 date may slip to June or July or even later.

Cost-wise it's pretty much a wash, unless you live somewhere that really dings you with import taxes.

I'm in the states so no import taxes and with BBTS offering $4 flat rate shipping $225 total isn't bad at all.  I'll take that.  I may start to look at other US stores in the future but I'm fine with that deal for now.

3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

I'm in the states so no import taxes and with BBTS offering $4 flat rate shipping $225 total isn't bad at all.  I'll take that.  I may start to look at other US stores in the future but I'm fine with that deal for now.

No import tax but we do have sales tax. Add that to the grand total, I have to say that it's going to be like buying it directly from Japan and have it ship it via EMS/DHL/or FedEx, unless ofcourse we choose the cheapest shipping option to save some $10 or two. ;) 

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

No import tax but we do have sales tax. Add that to the grand total, I have to say that it's going to be like buying it directly from Japan and have it ship it via EMS/DHL/or FedEx, unless ofcourse we choose the cheapest shipping option to save some $10 or two. ;) 

Shipping something the size of a VF-25 should cost around 3500 yen via Fedex/DHL, give or take, from HLJ. 

$5 or $10 in either direction makes little difference to me when I'm spending over $200 already. I just want my stuff... and I want it noooooow! :lol:

On 11/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Special Sauce said:

nope,  keeping my Japan preorders.   Price is cheaper for me even with international shipping.  And I have the option of getting it 2- 3 months earlier that US domestics release.   

If The Chosen Prime continues to sell future Valkyrie releases then I'll still shop there.  Easy preordering, no tax, free shipping, and a points system that discounts items are all good factors.  Plus a good night's sleep.  My DX VF-25 Worldwide Anniversary came out to $189.99 shipped.