DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

The grey Super pack looks so nice in matte, I'm tempted to flat-coat my glossy grey Ozma -29. But since the main body involves moving parts, I worry about it chipping off. (Whereas armor parts and super packs don't really move/transform much)

Alto's grey parts looks really nice in matte. Ozma's dark grey/midnight blue parts doesn't. It doesn't even show the panel lines! The main body does look good in matte.

Regarding the flatcoat, I figure I'd have to give you some warning based on my experience:

- It scratches really easily even if it's fully cured, especially the underside and hook points were the stand adapter goes

- I can only flatcoat it in fighter mode, flatcoating it in battroid mode will result in the tight tolerances becoming much tighter

- While it becomes less of a fingerprint magnet, dust will stick out more due to the satin/semi-rough surface and cleaning it would be more challenging

That being said, I like the look of it. I'm not even sure if its supposed to be matte or glossy in the show, but I did it anyways to hide the swirls, mars and microscratches during the manufacturing process.

Has anyone ever put a replacement armor parts missile pylon on shapeways?

You can count me as a member of the broken pylon club, so I'm just curious.

I almost broke one also. It plied and hopefully I could put it back without breakage.

Will have a closer look to see how easy it is to replicate in shapeways.

I almost broke one also. It plied and hopefully I could put it back without breakage.

Will have a closer look to see how easy it is to replicate in shapeways.

I know shapeways has specific tolerance crieria for wsf. I'd be happy to have one without the vent holes or whatever they are, if those are an issue. Edited by CoreyD

Should be good as is. It needed to be a little bulkier than the original, but nothing that a little sanding couldn't fix ;)

http://www.shapeways.com/product/NU2UKP26V/missiles-pylons-for-vf-25-armor-parts

You have a set of 2 pylons, if you want to try them, let me know if they pass the print-ability. They should without issue, but who knows with shapeways...

THANK YOU Xigfrid! I have been hoping for this for some time now! Purchased a set just now.

If you want a fast and great result with WSF plastic:

1) wash the part with water and dish washing soap, let it dry or quick hair-dryer.

2) Take a metal wire and wrap it in the middle of the part to attach it then spray some dark grey / black primer all over. Let it dry (for Tamyia spray paint it would be dry enough to be mounted in 1 hour, 24h for complete dry)

3) cut the part in half to separate the 2 pylons and assemble

OK, I received the Shapeways parts yesterday. Sorry for the not-so-great quality photos, but I was trying to shoot these with my camera to show some comparisons.

First off, here's what I received. Both pylons are attached, and need to be carefully removed and sanded a bit.

shapeways%20pylons%20attached.jpg

Here's a shot of my one OEM intact pylon alongside the Shapeways replacement part. At first glance, the only thing different is the texture of the plastic and the detail "etching" in the OEM part.

comparison.jpg

However, upon attachment, this is where I started to find some things which are just slightly different. For starters, here's the OEM pylon to illustrate how it sits on the end of the armor pack booster. I specifically put an arrow to show how the front end of the pylon makes contact with the armor pack. This causes the angle of the missiles to face almost completely straight forward in alignment with the nose of the fighter.

OEM%20pylon%20connection.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the missiles attached to the OEM pylon. This is port side, with the nose facing west. The missiles are almost perpendicular to the bottom of the photo.

OEM%20pylon%20with%20missiles%20west.jpg

But now here are the Shapeways parts... Note in the top arrow that the pylon does not quite touch the end of the armor pack booster, and this causes the alignment of the missiles to cant way outward. The lower arrow illustrates this.

shapeways%20pylon%20with%20missiles%20we

Here's a shot of the OEM pylon (port side) with the nose facing south. As you can see, the OEM pylons don't let the missiles face quite perpendicular to the nose but it's pretty close.

OEM%20pylon%20with%20missiles%20south.jp

And here's one more of the Shapeways part. The outward facing angle is much more obvious...

shapeways%20pylon%20with%20missiles%20so

This is really quite a good attempt, but the ultimate angle of the reaction missiles when mounted seems off by just enough to not let my OCD let it go. I also might need to try to put some Future floor polish on the connection peg which goes into the armor pack booster, as it is ever so slightly thinner than the port and doesn't hold securely. If I were to jostle the Valkyrie while on its stand, the pylons will fall out. This is so close to being a solution to my problem, but it needs just a *slight* bit of adjustment.

Hi Axelay, nice review. I am sorry it doesn't match 100% the original form.

According to you this is the main tab that goes into the armor that is the culprit of the wrong angle? Can you sand it a bit so the front little pylons touch the armor pack again, then making the reaction missiles point forward?

You can also try to heat the part with a air dryer and gently ploy the parts in the correct angle.

how did you attach those weapon pylon ? :| did the yf 24 have a hole attachment?

Ever wondered what our Naked DXes would look like with missiles, like they do in Macross 30? I always wanted to do a mod since the VF-25 in canon doesn't have any internal missiles whatsoever.

macross-30-imagen-i309448-i.jpg

Luckily, I have an abundance of weapon parts and YF-25's so I gave it a shot.

I figure you can use Kurisama's hardpoints for easier weapon swapping but I decided to just trim the pylons down, get a pin-vise and pin each set of missiles to the wing for a super secure connection.

hln41V1.jpgSZvoyMN.jpgUjQbLYI.jpgqDq0QFo.jpgFo9Frxe.jpg

how did you attach those weapon pylon ? :| did the yf 24 have a hole attachment?

Nope. The VF/YF-25 didn't have a hardpoints on the wings. If you re-read Duymon's post, you can see that he explained how he did it. ;)

I figure you can use Kurisama's hardpoints for easier weapon swapping but I decided to just trim the pylons down, get a pin-vise and pin each set of missiles to the wing for a super secure connection.

Someone around here also wants to see a VF-25 with NUNS markings in Delta just to get the hope of another repaint of the 25 and a possible release down the road?

Personally I do not, honestly I don't even think a re-release of the 25-G or S would entice me to buy a VF-25. I love the design and have had multiples, but I'm looking forward to the 31 and newer Valkyries at this point.

-b.

Sadly, i couldn't catch the VF 1S Strike(Arcadia) preorder, so my only hopes for a first valk are ozma's VF 25S, Isamu's VF 19ADV, or any of the delta valks. Sadly, the deal I had with someone fell through due to a screwup on my part, so now idk where to find the vf 25 armored parts at a reasonable price.

Edited by Solo Wing Pixy

Sadly, i couldn't catch the VF 1S Strike(Arcadia) preorder, so my only hopes for a first valk are ozma's VF 25S, Isamu's VF 19ADV, or any of the delta valks. Though McFly's deal fell through, so now idk where to find the vf 25 armored parts at a reasonable price

Im pretty sure that when it is realeased youll find it pretty easy on stores for a while.

So to pick up a VF-25 Armored, what would be the most practical option at this point? On Amazon, it seems like they have a Renewal fighter with Ozma's colors, but not the armor. Does this look legit?

https://www.amazon.com/Chogokin-Messiah-Valkyrie-Renewal-Bandai/dp/B005QXBLQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466710273&sr=8-4&keywords=macross+chogokin

Totally new at this, I have some patience and some cash. Even waiting for a re-release if it comes to it. I really want to find one, but want to make sure I can do the smart thing. Even if it means buying armor from another set.

Edited by notquitefodder

So to pick up a VF-25 Armored, what would be the most practical option at this point? On Amazon, it seems like they have a Renewal fighter with Ozma's colors, but not the armor. Does this look legit?

https://www.amazon.com/Chogokin-Messiah-Valkyrie-Renewal-Bandai/dp/B005QXBLQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466710273&sr=8-4&keywords=macross+chogokin

Totally new at this, I have some patience and some cash. Even waiting for a re-release if it comes to it. I really want to find one, but want to make sure I can do the smart thing. Even if it means buying armor from another set.

Yes. That is a legit renewal Ozma VF-25S. But with that price going, you can just go to Mandarake where you can find new and used for Y20000-22000. Regarding Armor Parts, yes it's also available in Mandarake but for a premium price. It's around Y32000. eBay might have it but expect to pay around $398 and above. You can also try Yahoo Japan Auction and bid. But you need a proxy to do the bidding for you and you have to pay the proxy service fee on all the transactions.

Appreciate the quick feedback. Hmm, is there any rational reason why armor from previous versions can't be used? It just boggles my mind that a few missile pods and gun hardpoints cost double the price of an actual transforming fighter. :p

I'm thinking of primarily using it for display if that helps.

Appreciate the quick feedback. Hmm, is there any rational reason why armor from previous versions can't be used? It just boggles my mind that a few missile pods and gun hardpoints cost double the price of an actual transforming fighter. :p

The renewal version valks are different sculpts from the originals so the parts are not compatible. The 2 renewal armored parts were webshop exclusives with only one run so whatever people ordered is what's out there.

It cost so much now due to demand since they only released as a web exclusive once.

You don't get an iPhone 5 case for an iPhone 6, not compatible, don't fit .