DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

The 27 with super parts was a small update of the initial mold with all the improvements from the 25 renewal (v2). But the first 27 was already a great toy.

The incoming 25F should be exactly the same mold as the renewal V2. Thus increasing the model availability and decreasing the price tag!

I don't know what could be really an interesting improvement to have make a V3 but I wouldn't mind buy re-renewal with a better ankle mechanism, better landing gears and sleeker super parts!

The 27 with super parts is the one that I bought a few days ago from NY so that's even better. :)

The thing is that the 27 didn't have all of the improvements of the 25. That's one of the reasons why I skipped it.

I normally transform the valks into batroid mode and display them behind glass so any improvements that enhance playability dont affect me much really. :)

That's just the thing, isn't it? The VF-27 with Super Parts was not a renewal, just an improved version of the original release -- a version 1.5, if you will; while a definite step above its VF-25 V1 counterpart/predecessor, it falls short of the engineering and execution of the YF-29 and VF-25 Renewals that followed it. The Super Parts equipped version released recently does benefit from some inherited retrofitted engineering from the Renewal 25s (forward thrusting crotch/hip reengineering and improved standing height/stance in Battroid come to mind), but is severely limited in its excellence by its outdated design; it's still saddled with inferior shoulder and landing gear, specially front, designs (there may be other engineering related things too), as well as lacking in surface details such as panel lines that are festooned, model-like, on the YF-29s, Renewal VF-25s, and VF-171s.

Edited by mechaninac

I've never seen official line art for the VF-27, so I'm just going off personal preference, and conjecture based on its VF-25 contemporary. Given that both the VF-25 and VF-27 designs, within the Frontier Universe, are derived from the YF-24 test-bed, should they not have similar space-frame construction?

As far as the toys, I never owned a VF-25 V1, but how does it compare, surface detail wise, to that found on the VF-27 DX, and the later Renewal?

Edited by mechaninac

I've never seen official line art for the VF-27, so I'm just going off personal preference, and conjecture based on its VF-25 contemporary. Given that both the VF-25 and VF-27 designs, within the Frontier Universe, are derived from the YF-24 test-bed, should they not have similar space-frame construction?

As far as the toys, I never owned a VF-25 V1, but how does it compare, surface detail wise, to that found on the VF-27 DX, and the later Renewal?

Having a V1 VF-25G, I can report that the surface detail on the V1s are very rudimentary compared to its revival cousins. Whereas the renewals have the surface detail akin to the Plamo, the V1s have surface detail akin to a toy.

On the note about panel lining for the VF -27, I always thought that the VF-27 was more organicin design thus the lack of panel lines, was this true in the lineart too?

the VF-27 never had proper lineart. All we've seen of it is CG renders with simplified surface detail. The original DX-25 and DX-27 toys matched these renders. Now the VF-25 has a a bunch of schematic drawings and detail lineart that show extra detail that's not present on the show CG. The 1/72 model kits and the renewal toys both included this extra surface detail from the supplemental lineart.

Now even though we don't have the same detailed lineart for the VF-27, but we do have the 1/72 VF27 kit which had a lot of added surface detail compared to the DX. Personally I wanted to see that level of detail translated to a renewal VF27 so that it would match the renewal 25s.

The only thing I can think missing on the renewal 27 compared to the 25 v2 is the crotch for the gun attachment.

Do you see anything else?

Yes, there are a two additional things I can think of that the reissue 27 does not have that the 25 renewal has: ( I recommend we move this to the 27 forum if it continues)

1. The 27 can not bring its arm straight out to the side from the shoulder like the 25. (detailed in anymoon's "half step back" comment)

2. The 27 can not fit the articulated hands into figher mode seamless like the 25 which is why Bandai packaged the reissue of the 27 with the knive hands. Although you can fit the articulated ones in there, they look jammed up.

Back to the 25's, based on the current trend, I think Bandai will likely issue a rainbow colored VF-25, a VF-25 with a unicorn horn on the nose, a Luca custom YF-29 without a radar dish, a Koenig Monster with tires instead of legs, and a Macross Quarter that is solid Yellow before we will get the reissue of the 25-S Ozma renewal.

Edited by sreichma

You know i was just thinking after Ozma's Bandai has to be done with the yf-29. But your idea for a Luca\radome version makes a lot sense. Damn it! Another release to delay a vf-25s reissue!!

There is still the Percival B model 29 as well.

I might as well ask here: did anyone (Bandai or a 3rd party) ever make any underwing stores for this? I'm receiving my first ever Messiah today (25A) and was wondering if those holes underwing are ever used.

If not, what might be a decent alternative? Thanks!

Yes, I can see that now. Too shallow. Nuts.

Still, with magnets and a willingness to go beyond "stock"...

Were any Macross weapons kits for this scale made?

In 1/60, there are the under-wing ordnance that came with the old Yamato VF-0s and SV-51s, the VF-1s v.1s and v.2s, the upcoming YF-19 by Arcadia, and Bandai's own Armor Packs for the VF-171s... none of them will work with the VF-25s without major surgery to the wings or some kluge job that clips onto the wings to allow for weapons mounting, not unlike what Bandai did with the Gallia 4 Fold Set for the v.1 VF-25G.

To my knowledge, there are no 3rd party, aftermarket, ordnance kits available for any 1/60 Macross toy.

Edited by mechaninac

To my knowledge, Bandai has never re-issued Tamashii web exclusives.

But who knows, maybe they'll run out of re-colours to do one day and decide to release bundles instead :p

I can always hope

VF-25s renewall + super parts + armored parts combo available a anime export

http://www.anime-export.com/product/18788

650+ though

Wow! pricey! I guess. I can hope for a bundle down the road.