DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

No problem, I was looking over the HLJ site and figured there would be a few keen buyers!

I missed out through ishop2go, so I'm very pleased to have snagged one this late in the game.

Toywave just informed me that they were unable to secure any stock. Is Bandai making these toys only available to Japanese retailers?

Thanks for the heads up Typhoon. I had just placed an order with NY. I was also able to order from HLJ. I'll see who will be able to keep my order.

Thanks for the heads up buddy!

I place one order with NY, it's now being shipped. Now I'll order one from HLJ.

My preorder from both Inxspro.com and Ishop2go got canceled.

Thanks for the link.

Hmm, I have a fear about these stupid swappable wings when the armor parts arrive. They're already kind of spotty in terms of alignment/sturdiness as is. With the addition of missile weight on the wings I'm concerned they're going to perpetually droop, if not outright fall off. This is another one of those peculiar Bandai engineering decisions where they get everything perfect and then find a single way to completely f**k it up.

Yeah, got my notice too. Along with my BBTS one. Till next week. I'm probably going to sell one as there are some other things I need to pay for too.

Chris

Got my VF-171. MWAHAHAHA!

s8wZJ.gif

Photogasm!!!! (apologies, but I can't help myself).

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

Quick thoughts:

- VERY tight. Almost over-thought by Bandai and over-engineered. But still awesome.

- Absolutely no QC problems. The wing pins stay in, no problem. They never fell out the entire time I was manhandling the toy!

- Nowhere near as heavy or sturdy feeling as the VF-17

- Transformation is more complicated and as such, not as fun since there are so many little tabs you need to make sure are out of the way before you do certain steps. For a brief second I had flashes of the YF-21 transformation nightmares.

- Battroid is less gappy than the VF-17 battroid, and the gerwalk mode is better. The back wing area on my 17 sags in gerwalk, but the 171 is solid.

- The VF-17 is still better as a toy, IMO. Best of both worlds - easy and fun transformation, sturdy and heavy - you really can tell where your money went.

- The stand sucks. Of course. Great for fighter, but for battroid it is horrible.

- Almost as good as the renewal 25s. The transformation holds it back. Just not as fun to do with so many little tiny things. Like I said, they over-engineered in certain areas where it was unnecessary to me, and under-engineered in others where they should have spent extra time (eg: non collapsible gun pod).

Overall, I love it.

The 17 looks like a tank next to the 117... The 17, as a toy, may be better, but is it near twice the MSRP better?

Short answer: no. Yamato needs to examine their pricing.

Edited by pud333

The 17 looks like a tank next to the 117... The 17, as a toy, may be better, but is it near twice the MSRP better?

Well, you can buy a 17 right now... so there's that

Quick thoughts:

The back wing area on my 17 sags in gerwalk, but the 171 is solid.

The fact the back area of the 17's Gerwalk already sags has me worried the Fast packs are going to make it stressed/even worse.

Then again, I'm also concerned the swappable wings, which you seem fortunate enough to have one that isn't loose, will flat out fall off with missiles attached.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have the Fast packs on the 17 during Gerwalk. It should hold, but it might stress, like you said. At least on mine I'm pretty sure that would be the case. As for the swappable wings, I still think that was a dumb idea on Bandai's part. I'm lucky the pins on mine are fine, but I figure once I pull them out to swap out the wings, it may loosen them and they may not be the same again.

I just noticed that the VF-171 battroid mode gives off a real Aquarion vibe

Maybe that's why I'm digging the 171 battroid so much. Or maybe it's just nice to have another valkyrie that's shaped totally differently from the VF-1 and 25.

Makes me kind of want to get a 17 now... but it's so much fatter and blockier... :(

It's certainly a beautiful bird, no doubt about it. But I had to make a judgement call, it was either this, or Caslon's VF-1S Low Vis version he had for sale. I'm at peace with my choice, and I think I'll just wait for the CF version. :) Besides, the VF-4 currently has my undivided attention, unless they announce an Ozma reissue. :wacko:

PICT0072.jpg

-Kyp

Aquarion was Kawamori's work wasn't it? That's probably why

I'm also quickly becoming a fan of the battroid mode. Aside from the old VF-1 battroid, this is fast becoming my other favorite battroid mode. It looks menacing.

It's certainly a beautiful bird, no doubt about it. But I had to make a judgement call, it was either this, or Caslon's VF-1S Low Vis version he had for sale. I'm at peace with my choice, and I think I'll just wait for the CF version. :) Besides, the VF-4 currently has my undivided attention, unless they announce an Ozma reissue. :wacko:

PICT0072.jpg

-Kyp

Good choice on the Focker. You are a man of impeccable taste. :)