DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Glad to see they're going to do the super parts too. This color scheme seems naked without them. Count me in for any potential group buy. Hopefully the eBay scalper I put a deposit down with will be able to come through for the bird itself.

480049_4287110339575_10497420_n.jpg

Is that 5040 Yen that I see? Ouch!

I love the overloaded with ordnance look of the 171's super pack, arm missile pallet included... it's just has such a cool overkill vibe to it without it looking overdone like the YF-29's or the 25's Tornado packs.

hmmm, have 2 171's on order and was going to sell one... now I think I'll have to keep both.

Me too. but I always intended on keeping both. Mwahahaha! The 171 is one of the last must-have valks for me. That, and the Elint. Still need one of those badboys.

(Warning, engineering rant incoming)

You know... I really must ask...

Did the people designing these never even take a basic engineering class??? I don't mean the actual designs.. I mean the dingbats involved in designing the stands.

PUT THE FREAKING MOUNT AT THE CENTER OF GRAVITY YOU DIPWADS.

This honestly goes for ALL valk stands.. I've never seen a single one designed that would actually support the center of gravity.)

(end rant)

Definitely nice to see more details. I'm definitely putting in an order for the parts, even if I don't get the actual plane. I love how they really do look like a patch job to upgrade the plane. Reminds me of some of the stuff from Armored Core, with how industrial the gun and missile packs look.

Did the people designing these never even take a basic engineering class??? I don't mean the actual designs.. I mean the dingbats involved in designing the stands.

PUT THE FREAKING MOUNT AT THE CENTER OF GRAVITY YOU DIPWADS.

This honestly goes for ALL valk stands.. I've never seen a single one designed that would actually support the center of gravity.)

The problem is in most cases the CG is blocked by the belly mounted gun, surrounded by arm and leg part that you don't want to add plug holes. There are exceptions:

Yamato 1:60 YF-21/VF-22 all has a flat belly fighter mode and the stand adapter is close to CG, and the big stand of YF-21 let you can put it at extreme angles safely.

Bandai 1:100 Hi-metal VF-1 also has a stand adapter near CG. Although it is not very secure the unit is not heavy enough to cause problem, and you can show it at extreme angles too.

For example: 3lLOms.jpg

Bandai 1:100 Hi-metal VF-19S - now that is a failure since you can't put the gun in fighter mode.

Edited by CF18

That's pretty much my only complaint. Wonder why they couldn't figure out a way to have the hands fully integrated into the transformation...

It looks like it's just showing the optional hands and how they plug in. I could be wrong though. With all the strides they have made it would be sad to see them step backwards by not having integrated hands.

Is that 5040 Yen that I see? Ouch!

I love the overloaded with ordnance look of the 171's super pack, arm missile pallet included... it's just has such a cool overkill vibe to it without it looking overdone like the YF-29's or the 25's Tornado packs.

If they had gone with this FP version as the initial release or gone with the cobalt blue CF version, I'd be so getting this.

Getting tired of the white hero-valk schemes.

I like the one guy complaining that the 5040 yen was too expensive for the armored parts and missiles. I almost wanna ask if this is his first time around the block?

I can't believe these are still available at Nippon Yasan for $199 this late in the game. Maybe the demand isn't there for this one.

Exactly what I am thinking. But the latest pics are very promising!

Edit: Just checked; the price on Amazon JP has inflated as well. Now at 15800 yen (MSRP 14700).

Maybe Nippon Yasan has been marking far too high.

Edited by ff95gj

I like the one guy complaining that the 5040 yen was too expensive for the armored parts and missiles. I almost wanna ask if this is his first time around the block?

Yeah, I thought it was nothing out of the ordinary.

I can't believe these are still available at Nippon Yasan for $199 this late in the game. Maybe the demand isn't there for this one.

The original preorders sold out in a blink of an eye almost everywhere. Chances are websites were being careful and put up very small numbers. Now that it's only a week or so from release, chances are they have actual stock confirmation. I wouldn't be surprised if Amiami and other major sites start opening up orders again closer to, or upon, release date. It happened with the YF-29 reissue. If NY has more preorders open, I figure they are confident they can fill more orders by now. They did lower the price by five or six bucks though. Used to be like $207 or something.

Edited by pud333

So maybe the articulated one is actually integrated into the transformation...

if you're right, then this squashes my original complaint. I hope you're right. :)

From this pic, it doesn't look like integrated hands would have anywhere to store in fighter mode... the forearm doesn't look like there's any sort of hatch built in for them (unless the fin assembly pops open to allow it, but the triangle shaped opening doesn't look like it'd allow for a cleanly rotating hinge that hands could pivot around on). Double hmmm....

58.jpg

I see a hing on the edge of the arm where it meets the back plate, a vertical seam between the 'VF' and '171' on the arm, and a latch mechanism on the inner side of the arm.

From this pic, it doesn't look like integrated hands would have anywhere to store in fighter mode... the forearm doesn't look like there's any sort of hatch built in for them (unless the fin assembly pops open to allow it, but the triangle shaped opening doesn't look like it'd allow for a cleanly rotating hinge that hands could pivot around on). Double hmmm....

58.jpg

Haha Actually i think the answer already lies with skull_leader's above comment. Basically means that there will be 2 sets of articulated hands, one smaller set will fit into the forearm of fighter mode to achieve the perfect transformation as like yamato's valks. Another larger set will be changeable for aesthetic/ gun holding(Does it even come with any hand held weapon in the first place?) purposes :)

I can't believe we're still arguing about the hands ONE MONTH ON. Face it, they're parts-forming and move on, please.

http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=975373

Argh

EDIT -- Now of course it will be funny if they changed that prototype so that the hands CAN go in and I end up sounding like an idiot. Ha, ha. For the record, the Figure Oh scan I have linked to does plainly state that the "manipulators" are the "plug-in type". Not that they are integrated, nor that you can swap alternate hands if you so wish (although of course you actually can), the implication is clear that you have to plug them in to complete the transformation.

Edited by Renato