DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Amazing.... the mkting guys at bandai are really something... they limit the supply of the toy and thus artificially build up hype and create the perception the the toy and by extension the rest of the toyline are really desirable and very hard to get.... then the reputation that Bandai's toys are "blink and you miss it" type. Keep the reputation and every single release in future will be sell out and no need to languish on the shelfs.

if that is true then it means they miss out on sales too. For instance I just recently bought a ps vita and this was money that I had saved up to get some macross toys. When I have money and want to give it to a company like bandai but can't due to how annoying it is, then it will go towards something else. In theory it sounds like a good idea but it also hurts them in another way.

I think yamato's way of doing things is better. Make it expensive but easy to get and develop happy community who can share pics, talk about their latest addition to the collection and spread positivity through word of mouth approvals (or disaprovals if the latest toy does not match up to their high standard they set for themselves - eg lack of tampo printed eyeballs on the old konig monster, cracking shoulders, funny proportions on gunpods for the yf-19 etc) .

Bandai: follow yamato's way of doing it please. lol I don't hang around enough to be able to snap up the rare toys but I like them enough to want to buy them. I think it hurts them more than it helps them to be honest. But you know what? If I were a collector it would make me feel more special knowing that I own things that are not easy to obtain so I can see the other side of it. If bandai is making those guys happy for being loyal and getting earlier than other by handing them the money first that is cool with me.

I think yamato has the right idea more though because it means those guys who love to collect everything but have to save up gradually to get a chance to own things can be happy. Not everyone has loads of money just lying around. Some of us have to budget ahead of the release to ensure we can get it or we want to buy it only after we see what reviews say about the item and whether is it worth the risk to buy at full price.

I got up in the middle of the night only to miss the frenzy by half an hour, and from the looks of it I'll be spending over $300 on these on eBay. No more.

Long-story short:

Any company which produces such limited quantities despite massive demand has officially lost my business. They know darn well their VF25, 27, 29, and now 171 will always sell like hotcakes, yet they continue to play these games.

The sooner this incompetence ends, and Yamato takes over the Frontier license, the better.

Fine then Bandai, I just preordered this beauty on eBay for $250 shipped and 20% down. It's not worth having to check multiple websites all day every day to see if a preorder pops up. And the price isn't dramatically more - maybe 4 bowls of pho? As long as I get it I'll be happy.

Fine then Bandai, I just preordered this beauty on eBay for $250 shipped and 20% down. It's not worth having to check multiple websites all day every day to see if a preorder pops up. And the price isn't dramatically more - maybe 4 bowls of pho? As long as I get it I'll be happy.

One of the few voices of reason in this post chain. I instead went down the middleman service, but still overpaying a bit. What i find really ironic is that the people who get upset for not getting these models at sale prices, are exactly the people who would buy more than one just to sell it on eBay. Otherwise if you just want to buy one for your collection, you still can...

Still haven't gotten a preorder in. I'm just gonna keep checking HLJ for a very long time then. If I get one, I get one. If not then I'll have money left over for the other things I want. I'm definitely not gonna rage and cry about this one.

Actually, no, that's exactly the problem. Bandai doesn't do that. Look at the YF-29, and see the situation with it, and you'll know why everyone's so up in arms over this.

While Yamato loves to reissue things with all sorts of repaints over time, Bandai has recently made one production run, and then pretty much killed production. They don't produce in large numbers, and it's a complete mystery if they'll ever even make a second run.

This is in spite of how popular the items are. While I'm sure they have their reasons for turning down all that money people want to throw at them, it certainly makes them look stupid in cases like this, where they either decide they'd rather be famous for making rare collectibles than make money, or they have a complete lack of faith in the market to actually buy things they make.

I hope yamato gets the license one day just like with macross 7. Bandai only gives a crap about their gundam models and had to have their arms twisted to meet yamato's standards. Now that they've fixed their old problem they introduce a new one.

This must be what it's like ordering Bieber tickets... I was awake for AE's run, but offline. Meh.

(null)

No, man. Not at all. This is something a lot of us actually want. :)

Edited by xrentonx

Oh look, Bandai is half-assed on their own Macross product! Let's just blame Gundam because Bandai ONLY produce Macross and Gundam toys and nothing else, right :rolleyes: ?

I wonder if wide array of their catalog is what makes them produce each item in limited quantity. I've heard this "Bandai is stupid enough to not wanting my money" many times before. Quite recently in case of D-Arts Megaman, and almost every Kamen Rider SHFiguarts will ended in 5-minute preorder window battle. Correct me on this, but do Yamato has other things to sell other than Macross VFs and anime statues? I haven't heard anything new from their Patlabor, ZOIDS or Votoms line. So maybe that what's make Bandai and Yamato strategy different.

I'm tempted to try ishop2go too, but am a bit suspect about a site that is wanting payment up front and has been taking preorders for days now, on an item that is selling out nearly instantly everywhere else.

Chris

I paid via PayPal rather than visa, that way should have quicker turnaround time if there is any issue or fraud, PayPal would deal with that sorta stuff often. Not that I think ishop2go is dodgy, but just an extra layer of protection.

The other thing about ishop2go is that they'vehad their pre-orders up since the very first mention of the VF171 and we don't know if they even bother to check how many items they are alloted. This may wind up just like a BBTS with the YF-29 for a lot of us... except it's a foreign company who took full payment on something and there's no guarantee we will get that back either.

I think the idea is that the more desperate people react to buying them now, the more will be made kind of thing. It's all a mind game.

Make the collectors fear the limited number so they preorder today, then when the preorder numbers are totalled they make only that amount and no more. Less risky. "What if there is not enough made at all?" is not really the way to look at it, but more like "how much should be made based on preorder numbers?"

well at least that is what it looks like.. bandai macross toy shortage = the new "furby shortage" lol

http://www.nydailyne...rticle-1.815255

1. start out with the desperate guys first by making limited numbers to get them to pay earlier.

2. wait till interest dies down.

3. lower price a bit for the tightasses

4. sell unsold stuff to the tightass

5. move to new toy (back to step 1) and wait for desperation levels of that old toy to rise again before creating reissues of it.

The idea of the artificial shortage is to create panic to get hype for something so people will rush out to gett it early. Some people suspect nintendo do this with thier stuff because it always seems overpriced compared to rivals products. If they suspect that demand amongst people to get one ASAP is quite high they will set price high and stagger release to keep the early adopter thinking it is scarce and make others want to rush out to get it. I think this toy was risky to do though since it is not the main hero mech so it's probably why they are taking the scared approach. Remember when the 1/48 low vis was common and nobody wanted one and how over time as it got rarer people were desperate to get one later? Maybe they want to do this with all releases to create stronger demand before they decide to allow more to be made. Was this really supposed to be important compared to the main valk? How does bandai know it won't be like vf-11 for yamato? So they play these games to ensure demand builds up for this release. (which you could argue is more risky than vf-25)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The other thing about ishop2go is that they'vehad their pre-orders up since the very first mention of the VF171 and we don't know if they even bother to check how many items they are alloted. This may wind up just like a BBTS with the YF-29 for a lot of us... except it's a foreign company who took full payment on something and there's no guarantee we will get that back either.

Hmm it's a no go then...

Edited by charger69

It's not negative. It's fair warning. There's a big difference between listing variables/unknowns to consider versus claiming the sky is falling.

In addition, maybe you and I are lucky enough to be able to waste $200 on a (potential) toy but not everybody here has that option.

Edited by Mommar

True on all points, but I still have a good chance - I think, of getting monies paid back, even if takes months with all parties involved.

You're also right about us - and a few other forum members here, I'm sure - that we are lucky or work hard enough to have this sort of disposable income.

Off topic - starship troopers, the 1997 film is on tv; my god, whoever did the M.Zero OST, completely ripped off, tune-for-tune, the movie's main action theme... Knew I'd heard it before!

Back on topic... BRING ON THE CF!

Back on topic... BRING ON THE CF!

No Doubt the CF is the only one I am interested its blue color looks the best to me. You people need to calm down milking the mold is part of the process. All the new versions of the VF-25's are really the same mold with different heads,paints and legs. And to be frank I own 2 vf and a yf 29 the floppy joints is such a disapointment.

I was hoping for a re release of the Monster that beast is the best thing I have seen from Bandi interms of its Macross Frontier products

Edited by moose

I think the world would be a much better place if everything was measured by bowls of pho. :lol:

But yes, that $250 shipped really isn't dramatically more than retail + EMS shipping. Very tempting.

Edited by eriku

I've used ishop2go to buy a yamato vf-11b recently, and had no problems with them. So I guess they seem ok.

Its strange they seem to be one of the only web shops selling the vf-171ex and the other valks like the vf-1 Cavaliers, VF-1D. Maybe they have some special arrangement with Bandai or something.

I've used ishop2go to buy a yamato vf-11b recently, and had no problems with them. So I guess they seem ok.

Its strange they seem to be one of the only web shops selling the vf-171ex and the other valks like the vf-1 Cavaliers, VF-1D. Maybe they have some special arrangement with Bandai or something.

Doubt it. Either they have not sold their allotment yet or they are very confident in their abilities to fill orders.

Doubt it. Either they have not sold their allotment yet or they are very confident in their abilities to fill orders.

That, or they have no problem leaving your pre-order hanging until a reissue happens.

Oh look, Bandai is half-assed on their own Macross product! Let's just blame Gundam because Bandai ONLY produce Macross and Gundam toys and nothing else, right :rolleyes: ?

I wonder if wide array of their catalog is what makes them produce each item in limited quantity. I've heard this "Bandai is stupid enough to not wanting my money" many times before. Quite recently in case of D-Arts Megaman, and almost every Kamen Rider SHFiguarts will ended in 5-minute preorder window battle. Correct me on this, but do Yamato has other things to sell other than Macross VFs and anime statues? I haven't heard anything new from their Patlabor, ZOIDS or Votoms line. So maybe that what's make Bandai and Yamato strategy different.

Good points.

I'd also add that folks in Japan don't have this issue as much because they have numerous sources (both b&m and net shops) to go to if they want to buy a toy. Whereas most if us here have just Amiami, HLJ, and a few other lesser known operations. Who knows what the allotments are for Amiami and HLJ, or whether they even ordered the full allotment amount too. Shrug

It's always been pretty hard to acquire popular toys from Japan when you're pretty much limited to Amiami and HLJ.